Ghost2894

Nov 17, 2020
Also can't really be a fundraiser scam if they aren't taking in more money like say Star Citizen, they're working with what they got.
I haven't been keeping up to date with their plans but I didnt know they stopped taking funds. So I guess I can cut em some slack there.

A little tip for everyone else if it hasnt been brought up (this thread is 165 pages long) your aim in space combat is relative to the mouse's placement on the screen. I noticed while sitting still waiting for more enemies to spawn, that when the camera adjusts, it obviously makes the cursor position move relative to your ships position. So every time the camera moves even while just flying around it actually forces your aim in one way or another. It's most notable near the edges of a combat area. It's something of an inconvenience when you take into account that you're already adjusting for travel time on these really slow bullets as you try to lead targets.

The only way I can think of that would negate this is if they eventually add controller support since your aim would be a static direction based on the last movement of the analog stick

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
I haven't been keeping up to date with their plans but I didnt know they stopped taking funds. So I guess I can cut em some slack there.

A little tip for everyone else if it hasnt been brought up (this thread is 165 pages long) your aim in space combat is relative to the mouse's placement on the screen. I noticed while sitting still waiting for more enemies to spawn, that when the camera adjusts, it obviously makes the cursor position move relative to your ships position. So every time the camera moves even while just flying around it actually forces your aim in one way or another. It's most notable near the edges of a combat area. It's something of an inconvenience when you take into account that you're already adjusting for travel time on these really slow bullets as you try to lead targets.

The only way I can think of that would negate this is if they eventually add controller support since your aim would be a static direction based on the last movement of the analog stick
There is controller support, just for the ship gameplay atm.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020

Ya controller works good for schmup - controls are smooth for it, would definitely recommend giving your controller a go.

Apr 29, 2018
Hello! As one of the pioneers using Honey Select to create derivative games, I was always kind of fascinated by this subject and when I found out that Subverse could be using assets from Illusion, I decided to do a little research.

As for UV-Maps, if what the Russian user posted is true (on the first pages of this topic), then unfortunately they are the same UV-Maps. The fact that they added more vertices does not mean much. There are mods for hi-res bodies in Honey Select that use the same UV-Map as the original bodies, but with more vertices added.

The position of the vagina is also not so important. Honey Select mods often use another part of the UV Map for the vagina (just like the Subverse guys apparently did).

About the hands, I also went to look more closely. The first evidence is an alleged image showing the hands of both games having exactly the same geometry. However, this can be easily forged. What cannot be forged, however, is the end result and I am 99.9% sure that Subverse models use the same hand as Honey Select. This does not prove that the Subverse guys stole the model, however. They may simply have used the same asset library as Illusion or something.

What makes me a little incredulous in this whole story is that to export the Honey Select models and use them in a 3D program you just need to follow a 15 minute tutorial on Youtube. The modder community has already done all the heavy work so Honey Select is currently the laziest option possible, the thing you choose if you have 0 dollars and need a model ready in less than two days. This is very strange because Subverse is a $2 million game that took years to be made. I don't believe they would choose such a lazy option when they can pay, let's say, $500 on high-quality base models ready to be used in 3D games/Unreal Engine 4. It is inconceivable to me that they needed to waste time stealing assets from Honey Select, unless they were tricked by the artist who made the game's models.
I see no such post on the first page, so I had to google around for a bit and seem to have found it:
That does look similar, but as you say it could be forged, not like it would be the first time someone has done that just to add fuel to the fire (like the "Netorare Unlocked" photoshop). I'm especially dubious of this screenshot because the post I got it from claims they found it on 4chan.

With that said, I did ask someone else in another discussion about the UV maps and this is what they provided: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2021/04/1138669_unknown.png
Even with the low-quality screenshot you can see they are not the same UV map. The claim that I saw was the the UV maps were "exactly the same", therefore the models were the same, but that's clearly not the case; the entire reason I went into explaining how UV maps are generated from 3D models was to illustrate there are more parts to Subverse's model that simply do not exist on the Honey Select model, because if they did, the program that generated the Honey Select UV maps would've included them. That has nothing to do with how modders put vagina textures on the unused space.

With that said, I stated it's still possible it's a heavily edited model; I agree it's possible that StudioFOW upscaled the model, carved out the crotch to make room for an entirely new vagina model, and enlarged the hands (among other differences), but the fact is you'd need to run a comparison analysis between the two models to identify the telltale signs of editing to prove Subverse's model is actually an edited Honey Select model. This is not something you eyeball and can declare with any confidence is a stolen asset, which leads to my next (somewhat ranty) point...

And I'm sorry, but I'm going to be a little rude here: what the fuck does "What cannot be forged, however, is the end result and I am 99.9% sure that Subverse models use the same hand as Honey Select" even mean? The models look similar, therefore you're positive they're the same? Does the fact that Dead or Alive and 2B can be recreated in Honey Select also mean those three companies all used the same models? Does the fact that Miku Miku Dance and Custom Maid 3D characters look similar make you 99.9% sure they're the same models? They're all chasing variations of the simplified anime aesthetic, of course the end results will look similar. I have absolutely no qualms about the similar results raising suspicions, but it shouldn't be within a fucking mile of a conclusion, especially if that conclusion is "oh, they committed a crime".

I'm trying to keep an open mind here, I will always ask for evidence rather than outright refuse a claim based on second hand accounts, but so far I've seen nothing but evidence that doesn't support the claim and a lot of useless conjecture. That's apparently enough for people who are hellbent on hating the game no matter what, but it shouldn't be for anyone else.

Last edited:

rf96

I rape lolis with my tentacles
Uploader
Donor
Aug 11, 2017
On Kickstarter they say:
We need more animators, so if you're a hotshot Blender/Maya animator who thinks they're up to the challenge, do drop me an email at fowstudios@gmail.com
Serious inquiries only please, we've had cocky hotshots with 20K+ Patreons audition in the past and they've flamed out at the first hurdle so let's not waste each other's time :)
But I'm really wondering who they're talking about, considering that the animators with the most patrons only have 6000 patrons.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Lerd0

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
On Kickstarter they say:

But I'm really wondering who they're talking about, considering that the animators with the most patrons only have 6000 patrons.
Could been someone that do more than just animation. What you need to do is compile a list of everyone that could possible match, that got a patreon size in the 20k range right? :ROFLMAO:

Apr 29, 2018
Well, wouldn't necessary have to be someone just confined to adult content either.
I dunno, the person in question has to be a non-adult and non-animation content creator (since the top non-adult animator only has 7.8k patrons) for that to be possible, but at that point there's no reason to include those patrons in to the numbers because it doesn't reflect their popularity or ability in either field.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I dunno, the person in question has to be a non-adult and non-animation content creator (since the top non-adult animator only has 7.8k patrons) for that to be possible, but at that point there's no reason to include those patrons in to the numbers because it doesn't reflect their popularity or ability in either field.
Maybe the patreon numbers in the messagte was just inflated to hide the identity of the person :ROFLMAO: If it was somone that venture into the world of adult content and lewdness maybe they someone that frequent this site.. so

"May I have your attention, please?
Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
I repeat, will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
"

:ROFLMAO:

TK8000

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2017
And I'm sorry, but I'm going to be a little rude here: what the fuck does "What cannot be forged, however, is the end result and I am 99.9% sure that Subverse models use the same hand as Honey Select" even mean?
What I meant is that it is possible to see that the hands have the same proportions and most likely the same geometry even when comparing the images of both games, without having to extract the models. So I'm pretty sure that both hands came from the same source. However, as I said, this does not prove anything, since both devs may have gone after the same source in a legal way.

If I have time today, I will try to extract the models and compare them in Blender. Then I post the results here.

About the UV map, I agree with you, according to the image you posted they are not really identical, just very similar.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018
What I meant is that it is possible to see that the hands have the same proportions and most likely the same geometry even when comparing the images of both games, without having to extract the models. So I'm pretty sure that both hands came from the same source. However, as I said, this does not prove anything, since both devs may have gone after the same source in a legal way.

If I have time today, I will try to extract the models and compare them in Blender. Then I post the results here.

About the UV map, I agree with you, according to the image you posted they are not really identical, just very similar.
Thanks in advance for putting in the effort then, would really appreciate the comparison.

TK8000

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2017
Thanks in advance for putting in the effort then, would really appreciate the comparison.
Okay, I compared the standard Honey Select model to the Subverse "Lily" model.

What I noticed. The model clearly has the same source, but the Subverse is slightly modified (the fingers are smoother). The Subverse is slightly stretched too.

As I said before, this is not proof that Subverse stole things from other games, we do not know, for example, what the origin of both hands is and in the current industry it is extremely common for companies to simply acquire assets from third parties.

Even in the case that someone on the Subverse team actually "borrowed" parts of the Honey Select models it probably won't have any negative consequences for them. Everyone knows about the countless games on Patreon that use assets from Honey Select (I make one of them), in addition to the fact that there are games on Steam being sold with assets totally stolen from Illusion for years without being taken down (Waifu School is an example).

Anyway, if I were from Studio FOW, and had commissioned these models from another guy, I would contact him now to ask for detailed explanations. If the guy acted maliciously, I would probably go to court (we are talking about a 2 million project here). And I would also make a patch with new models for the hands to avoid problems. But this is ONLY in the case that there are no alternative and legitimate explanations for the fact that the models have the same origin.

Apr 29, 2018

What I noticed. The model clearly has the same source, but the Subverse is slightly modified (the fingers are smoother). The Subverse is slightly stretched too.

As I said before, this is not proof that Subverse stole things from other games, we do not know, for example, what the origin of both hands is and in the current industry it is extremely common for companies to simply acquire assets from third parties.

Even in the case that someone on the Subverse team actually "borrowed" parts of the Honey Select models it probably won't have any negative consequences for them. Everyone knows about the countless games on Patreon that use assets from Honey Select (I make one of them), in addition to the fact that there are games on Steam being sold with assets totally stolen from Illusion for years without being taken down (Waifu School is an example).

Anyway, if I were from Studio FOW, and had commissioned these models from another guy, I would contact him now to ask for detailed explanations. If the guy acted maliciously, I would probably go to court (we are talking about a 2 million project here). And I would also make a patch with new models for the hands to avoid problems. But this is ONLY in the case that there are no alternative and legitimate explanations for the fact that the models have the same origin.
Hmm, interesting and pretty bad news for StudioFOW. Unfortunately your case doesn't really apply to Subverse, because (unless I'm mistaken), your games only use still images of Honey Select models, which is technically legal because you aren't copying and distributing the model itself; this changes completely in a game like Subverse, where the model is being distributed (even if it has to be extracted from the game files). The only way they wouldn't get in trouble is if a) they licensed the use of the model or b) the model was actually built from scratch, but copied all of the Honey Select's models proportions (which I believe is how sites that provided models to SFM artists avoided getting sued, because they were distributing models that looked identical and weren't actually ripped game assets).

Edit: that being said, I do believe there is some level of protection for people who paid for work-for-hire content that turned out to be stolen, so it's not like StudioFOW's doomed. It would definitely delay development of the game significantly though.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020

What the chances that it actually a two different hands that looks very similar?
And also, why you even done that, compare two seemingly unrelated models?

2.90 star(s) 250 Votes