4.70 star(s) 273 Votes

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
They never had more patrons than they do right now.
Not saying you are wrong (I hope), but the devs don't exactly have a long track record of regular timely releases either. Release times never get quicker with time, only slower. Already inching toward the one year release cycle, this soon in development, when the story is barely getting started, does not bode well for the game ever being finished.

The fact that the first few releases were on a reasonable schedule, show they have the capability, so what changed to go from cycle of little over 2 months, to 6 months plus? We are getting into (Radiant, cough, cough) territory.

Not saying it is happening here, but it looks like the typical pattern we've all seen , where a dev gets a little bit of success (Primal Instinct, Dr. Amana, Reincarnotica, Apartment 69, Apartment 96, Oath of Loyalty, Connected), where things just get slower and slower, until nothing.

Dragging things out for 6 months or longer does not help them ultimately. To get buzz, attention, and patrons, shorter updates every 2 - 3 months, is much more likely to keep up the momentum and lead to a successful game.

Last edited:

Kazanovaromeo

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
View attachment 2515337

Summer Heat's first release came out on the 2nd of February last year.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Chapter 2 was first released on the 29th of March (development time of 55 days).

Chapter 3 first came out on the 9th of June (development time of 72 days).

Chapter 4 was released on the 10th of November (development time of 154 days).

Chapter 5 has been in development for, as of today, 143 days and we will be getting two updates' worth of content with it.

The devs still have a ways to go before I come close to suspecting them of deliberately dragging things out, never mind putting them next to the unholy trinity of Lewdlab, Gumdrop and ICSTOR. Sure, Chapter 4 took more than twice as long as Chapter 3 to get made, but it was also noticeably bigger than the earlier releases. Also, their hardware wasn't exactly top of the line:

View attachment 2515353

Cut them some slack. I understand being wary of dishonest devs, like the ones who have been named here earlier, but let's not get paranoid. This is their first game and making an AVN, especially one of this quality, is a learning process in more ways than one.
(y)thank you very much our friend and I eagerly waiting the new update(y)(y)

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
Not saying you are wrong (I hope), but the devs don't exactly have a long track record of regular timely releases either. Release times never get quicker with time, only slower. Already inching toward the one year release cycle, this soon in development, when the story is barely getting started, does not bode well for the game ever being finished.

The fact that the first few releases were on a reasonable schedule, show they have the capability, so what changed to go from cycle of little over 2 months, to 6 months plus? We are getting into (Radiant, cough, cough) territory.

Not saying it is happening here, but it looks like the typical pattern we've all seen , where a dev gets a little bit of success (Primal Instinct, Dr. Amana, Reincarnotica, Apartment 69, Apartment 96, Oath of Loyalty, Connected), where things just get slower and slower, until nothing.

Dragging things out for 6 months or longer does not help them ultimately. To get buzz, attention, and patrons, shorter updates every 2 - 3 months, is much more likely to keep up the momentum and lead to a successful game.
Pretty sure they quizzed(public, so not just Patreon votes) and it was overwhelmingly voted for longer updates. First updates were really short(15-20 minutes?), in terms of actual content since the same quality and attention to expressions and poses was from the start.

Last edited:

Frowster

Nov 4, 2022
The fact that the first few releases were on a reasonable schedule, show they have the capability, so what changed to go from cycle of little over 2 months, to 6 months plus?
5 months for Chapter 4. As for what changed: the size and complexity of the work they had to do (and are still doing with Chapter 5).

The first 3 chapters had a total size of just over 872 MB.

Summer Heat Ch3 size.jpg

The first release had a size of 411 MB.

Summer Heat 0.1.jpg

872-411= 461 MB for Chapters 2 & 3, made in 127 days.

The current version is 1.29 GB.

Summer Heat Ch4 size.png

1290-872= 418 MB for Chapter 4, made in 154 days.

So Chapter 4 is a bit smaller in size than 2 & 3 put together. Add in the fact that it was more challenging to make from a technical standpoint (animations) and the development time relative to the update size is consistent.

Chapter 5 will be bigger still. From status update #16:

Summer Heat 4.png

If update size goes up, there's going to be a corresponding increase in development time. Milkers do the opposite - deliver less and less content while stretching out the time between releases. The only thing that Chapter 4 stretched was Cassandra's tight snatch.

The good news is that the devs said future updates will be closer in size to Chapter 4 than 5 so those should come quicker. Which I'm glad about because you're totally right when you say that the story hasn't moved much and development will slow down later, when branching comes into play. Even so, the game will still likely take a few years to finish so I'd rather have smaller but more regular updates. And as you pointed out, this would also be the best for them in terms of building momentum.

Anyway, if a pattern emerges where they start to take longer to make an update than its content would suggest, it won't go unnoticed, especially now that they have better hardware and more experience than at the start. So far my spidey sense is sound asleep.

I do hope that Chapter 5 drops sooner rather than later so that we can move on from analysing numbers and dev logs to drooling over the girls' bodies in swimsuits and underwear. Oh, and their new hairstyles!

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
5 months for Chapter 4. As for what changed: the size and complexity of the work they had to do (and are still doing with Chapter 5).

The first 3 chapters had a total size of just over 872 MB.

View attachment 2519460

The first release had a size of 411 MB.

View attachment 2520104

872-411= 461 MB for Chapters 2 & 3, made in 127 days.

The current version is 1.29 GB.

View attachment 2519464

1290-872= 418 MB for Chapter 4, made in 154 days.

So Chapter 4 is a bit smaller in size than 2 & 3 put together. Add in the fact that it was more challenging to make from a technical standpoint (animations) and the development time relative to the update size is consistent.

Chapter 5 will be bigger still. From status update #16:

View attachment 2519469

If update size goes up, there's going to be a corresponding increase in development time. Milkers do the opposite - deliver less and less content while stretching out the time between releases. The only thing that Chapter 4 stretched was Cassandra's tight snatch.

The good news is that the devs said future updates will be closer in size to Chapter 4 than 5 so those should come quicker. Which I'm glad about because you're totally right when you say that the story hasn't moved much and development will slow down later, when branching comes into play. Even so, the game will still likely take a few years to finish so I'd rather have smaller but more regular updates. And as you pointed out, this would also be the best for them in terms of building momentum.

Anyway, if a pattern emerges where they start to take longer to make an update than its content would suggest, it won't go unnoticed, especially now that they have better hardware and more experience than at the start. So far my spidey sense is sound asleep.

I do hope that Chapter 5 drops sooner rather than later so that we can move on from analysing numbers and dev logs to drooling over the girls' bodies in swimsuits and underwear. Oh, and their new hairstyles!
taking into account, for whatever the reason, sizes of updates/games in MB/GB is probably even less relevant for anything than when those people go around claiming "chick xyz is the best, yay!". :BootyTime:
do appreciate the attempt though:HideThePain:
as you are saying, when the update is out, we shall see how big it is for real - based on its complexity/paths, number of actual renders (not those blinking, tweaking and similar 20-for-1 things) and overall story progression (and ofc hot juicy scenes which are must have for any decent adult avn as it progresses from the early releases:WeSmart:)

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017

I can't tell the future. For the time being, I have no reason to suspect they're being dishonest, but like you, I believe long development cycles are detrimental to their project, and I'm concerned that it's taking so long to get updates out so early into the story.
If this ever turns into what I'd rather not say, rest assured I'd be the first one to point it out because I care for this great game. For example, Unleashed used to be one of my top favourite games and I even stood up for the dev when the first delays/excuses started happening, but after some time it became apparent he was mocking everyone and I made my opinion very clear in that game's thread.

But anyway, my post was just directed at that guy who claimed "no wonder they've been losing patrons" when it's the other way round since they never had more patrons than they do now.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
A bunch of people whining they wanted "more playtime"
I must include myself among those whiners because I definitely preferred longer updates.
However, you have to take into account that the first couple of updates took only 2 months to complete, so those of us who advocated longer updates were probably thinking about maybe twice that long for twice as much content.

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
I must include myself among those whiners because I definitely preferred longer updates.
However, you have to take into account that the first couple of updates took only 2 months to complete, so those of us who advocated longer updates were probably thinking about maybe twice that long for twice as much content.
I made my points about this during that time here
And i still stand to my points, specially about if people wanted more playtime they could just skip some small updates and than play 3-4 updates in a row or so. I don't know why people was unable to think like that instead of pressure devs to make bigger updates.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
And i still stand to my points, specially about if people wanted more playtime they could just skip some small updates and than play 3-4 updates in a row or so. I don't know why people was unable to think like that instead of pressure devs to make bigger updates.
I see your point, and in certain cases I agree with what you said. I do that myself with a few games with short updates: I skip one or two releases so that I have more content to enjoy in one sitting.
However, sometimes a game having short development cycles can lead to the story not moving forward in a natural way, because devs may think that they need to give something "meaty" to their players in every update, so they might be tempted to slip in sex scenes when they shouldn't, or give attention to this or that girl because she didn't appear in the previous episode (instead of featuring her when it's required by the story), etc. I don't know if I'm getting my idea across.
So that's a risk too. Some devs pull it off pretty well (LeFrench), while with others it may lead to a disaster.
When it comes to story-focused VNs, I prefer longer development cycles leading to complete, organized, organic episodes rather than shorter ones, just in case.

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
My problem with smaller updates is when devs use episodic form to tell the story and with smaller update, it will just have to end abruptly, without having the benefit of the climax of the chapter, or the cliffhanger(s) at the end. I for one cannot imagine BADIK being released in 3-4 chunks. I can guarantee you it will not hit the same way.

For this game in particular, where there is no effort to present the story in such way, I 100% agree with you, Anything between 2-4 months for updates is no problem for me. Will see after this chapter if my opinion changes.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I can't tell the future. For the time being, I have no reason to suspect they're being dishonest, but like you, I believe long development cycles are detrimental to their project, and I'm concerned that it's taking so long to get updates out so early into the story.
I don't think it's dishonesty, at this point. Not saying what the case is with Summer Heat, since its too soon to say, but I think the curse of these games that start of strong, is that devs get complacent, and when they are thinking what to do with their time, figure, why sit down and work for 4 hours, when I can do it next week, and it becomes a viscous cycle. If a dev or dev team is motivated, and cares about their fans, they will do their best to release every 2, 3, or at the longest 4 months. There are a few exceptions of long time devs, that are on longer cycles that I trust will eventually finish their games, Deluca Family and Light of my Life come to mind, where the devs is active and has built trust with quite slow but steady updates.

I am with you 100% on Unleashed. What a colossal disappointment. The dev started strong, and looked initially like he might have something interesting to say with his hidden messaging, but it never went anywhere and he is now basically trolling his fans at this point. I was a supporter for awhile, but I realized that he is never going to release more than 5 minutes of gameplay a year. I have no interest in playing it at this point. It is the same way with Dr. Amana. The game was amazing, and the dev was very, very, active here on F95, even filmed hourly development tutorials for the fans, and seemed quite motivated, and just one day decided it wasn't worth his time to keep working on it. It seems that half of the best games end up this way unfortunately.

I hope, certainly, that Summer Heat is just going through a slow phase and will get back on track. But, from what I have seen, we are probably around 5% of the story so far, since all the characters just arrived at the camp, and the MC has barely been introduced to each of them. I think it is only on day 2, in game time. At this rate, it will take 15 years for the game to be completed. It's going to be like Heavy Five.

4.70 star(s) 273 Votes