Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Part of me would really like to see the end of eternity on the screen. But the other part says that maybe it’s better not to. Transferring such a complex and non-linear narrative to the screen is a very difficult task. In addition, for a wide audience you will have to simplify a lot, something cut. So maybe it’s better to let it remain only a book? It’s like once there was news that they wanted to make a serial about the chronicles of Amber. To be honest, I was very skeptical about it then.
I think I'd be OK with the movie of Foundation if Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens would write the script and Pete would direct the movie.
Sure, some people will probably never forgive them for cutting Tom Bombadil from their script, but their Tolkien movies are probably the best epic and incredibly complex and nonlinear stories made into epic movies in history.
Sorry for the offtopic. Got carried away.

Last edited:

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Wow, this is bad news. But I don't quite understand, could you please explain it a bit more?
The issue is, even before the Steam release, he started reworking this and his other game, now it's being reworked again[...]
So he has reworked Summer's Gone once and now he's reworking it again? I didn't know that. :unsure:
The only rework I know of is that he planned to remake the first two chapters as part of the Steam release. He has completed the new first and half of the second chapter. The rest of the new second chapter will be released along with the chapter 5 full in the next update and that's the whole first season which he is going to publish on Stream. Could you please tell more about that earlier rework that he did before the rework of the chapters I just mentioned?
[...] the sensible thing would have been to make one game at a time, complete it, then rework for a Steam release.
Could you please advise him which of the two games he should throw away along with all the people who have been following him since the first day?
He never posted updates on Patreon except very rarely, and posts saying I need XXX hardware, I think the last was he needed two A6000 GPU's which at that time were $5-6K (USD) each, even though he had 3090's.
This is so strange. It’s just that in this thread different users publish dev logs every two weeks on Wednesdays or Thursdays. It is alleged, that these logs were copied from his Patreon page. The last one was Dev Log #14 from Oct 4, we were expecting it on Oct 3, Wed, but it was published several hours later.
https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-4-5-full-oceanlab.29981/post-11880376
The previous Dev Log #13 was from Sep 20, Wed. Two weeks interval. There's even a link to the original Patreon post.
https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-4-5-full-oceanlab.29981/post-11766777
And another one, two weeks earlier, Dev Log #12, Sep 7. Once again, there was a slight delay between posting it on the Patreon page and here in the thread.
https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-4-5-full-oceanlab.29981/post-11663567
I wouldn't call be-weekly logs as very rare. He's been doing this regularly for at least the last six months. I’m not sure about the earlier logs, need to look for them, but they also seemed to come out quite regularly.

And the last three logs don’t say much about the new GPU, maybe I didn’t see something there? Although I remember that earlier, maybe a month or two ago, he wrote in several logs that he was trying to get a loan for a hardware upgrade, described the advantages of a new gfx-card, and so on. There was even a big debate with a few funny trolls in this thread. Perhaps this is what you meant.

Ali ibn Hassan

Engaged Member
Dec 19, 2019
There's a lot of talk about "The Steam Release" as if the tracks are already laid down and crowds at Grand Central Station are eagerly waiting for the arrival of the train that's still in the shop for maintenance and upgrade.

Is it a sure thing?

Other devs ( Naughty of LoML for example ) had planned and got green light from Steam but got the " No, no, we never guaranteed anything" in the end.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
There's a lot of talk about "The Steam Release" as if the tracks are already laid down and crowds at Grand Central Station are eagerly waiting for the arrival of the train that's still in the shop for maintenance and upgrade.

Is it a sure thing?

Other devs ( Naughty of LoML for example ) had planned and got green light from Steam but got the " No, no, we never guaranteed anything" in the end.
Is there even such a thing as a sure thing? At least that was the plan.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018

Is it a sure thing?

As much as I hate to play into the meme, what part of the lewd content could cause steam to reject it? Seriously though, there are plenty of more overtly problematic things that steam has for sale, might as well have one wholesome game where a tenant remains a tenant who actually goes to a university that even looks like a univeristy :sneaky:

Ali ibn Hassan

Engaged Member
Dec 19, 2019
Is there even such a thing as a sure thing? At least that was the plan.
For the media tycoons it's strictly business.
They think with their second appendix ie. their wallets, counting their $ in advance and if there's even a single leaf falling in an otherwise healthy garden they may hit the brakes.

But you're right that they've already got the finished layout and the auto bahn is just waiting for the acceleration lane to open.

Ali ibn Hassan

Engaged Member
Dec 19, 2019
As much as I hate to play into the meme, what part of the lewd content could cause steam to reject it? Seriously though, there are plenty of more overtly problematic things that steam has for sale, might as well have one wholesome game where a tenant remains a tenant who actually goes to a university that even looks like a univeristy :sneaky:
I like wholesome!

Reactions: BobTheDuck

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
He doesn't sound upset to me, he's always that grumpy and sarcastic. :HideThePain:

But yeah, complaining about wait times from a guy with Corporate Culture banner in his signature sounds pretty ironic. :KEK:
I like Corporate Culture, if anything.
I'm killing time in that thread, too. :D

• Haha
Reactions: yossa999

weirdscix

Apr 10, 2021
Wow, this is bad news. But I don't quite understand, could you please explain it a bit more?

So he has reworked Summer's Gone once and now he's reworking it again? I didn't know that. :unsure:
The only rework I know of is that he planned to remake the first two chapters as part of the Steam release. He has completed the new first and half of the second chapter. The rest of the new second chapter will be released along with the chapter 5 full in the next update and that's the whole first season which he is going to publish on Stream. Could you please tell more about that earlier rework that he did before the rework of the chapters I just mentioned?

Could you please advise him which of the two games he should throw away along with all the people who have been following him since the first day?

This is so strange. It’s just that in this thread different users publish dev logs every two weeks on Wednesdays or Thursdays. It is alleged, that these logs were copied from his Patreon page. The last one was Dev Log #14 from Oct 4, we were expecting it on Oct 3, Wed, but it was published several hours later.
https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-4-5-full-oceanlab.29981/post-11880376
The previous Dev Log #13 was from Sep 20, Wed. Two weeks interval. There's even a link to the original Patreon post.
https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-4-5-full-oceanlab.29981/post-11766777
And another one, two weeks earlier, Dev Log #12, Sep 7. Once again, there was a slight delay between posting it on the Patreon page and here in the thread.
https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-4-5-full-oceanlab.29981/post-11663567
I wouldn't call be-weekly logs as very rare. He's been doing this regularly for at least the last six months. I’m not sure about the earlier logs, need to look for them, but they also seemed to come out quite regularly.

And the last three logs don’t say much about the new GPU, maybe I didn’t see something there? Although I remember that earlier, maybe a month or two ago, he wrote in several logs that he was trying to get a loan for a hardware upgrade, described the advantages of a new gfx-card, and so on. There was even a big debate with a few funny trolls in this thread. Perhaps this is what you meant.
Which of the two game he should throw away? Maybe complete one before starting another, it's simple logic

He only started posting regular development updates on Patreon when people complained about his lack of communication.

GPU wise, yes he wanted top professional level GPU's for a consumer program, instead of being realistic with his expectations or moving to a program that has better VRAM management like Unreal, which can rapidly render static images and handle extremely large scenes of the type he was trying to produce and is free to use for that purpose.

I was a supporter of his in the past, but he is unrealistic in his approach.

Ali ibn Hassan

Engaged Member
Dec 19, 2019
Which of the two game he should throw away? Maybe complete one before starting another, it's simple logic

He only started posting regular development updates on Patreon when people complained about his lack of communication.

GPU wise, yes he wanted top professional level GPU's for a consumer program, instead of being realistic with his expectations or moving to a program that has better VRAM management like Unreal, which can rapidly render static images and handle extremely large scenes of the type he was trying to produce and is free to use for that purpose.

If on Unreal who do you expect would play? Not me!

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Yes, from the outside everything always looks simple until you start diving into the details. From what I know, he was originally only working on WIAB, while another guy was developing SG based on the Ocean's story and characters. People who followed the game longer may correct me if I'm wrong. The other guy gave up the game and left. So the options were the same as now - throw away one of the games with all its fans.
We now have two games with relatively long update cycle. (actually not that long compared to the most of my favorite games, but the choice of favorites is debatable) Ocean looks for the ways to speed up the process and openly shares and discusses his ideas with the audience. There may be even more opportunities in the future if he manages to successfully release the game on Steam. The only thing that will not leave any options for further development is the abandoned game and the missing developer.

It sounds to me like he pays attention to the feedback of his audience and is willing to correct his previous shortcomings. I won't even mention that he has had personal problems in the past and has been pretty open about it to his followers. But this is irrelevant, after all, we are talking about a device for creating renders, and not about a person who also develops their skills over time and learns from their mistakes.

I have little understanding of the features of certain graphics engines, so I have no basis for compelling arguments. But I can only point out that there are clearly more developers using DAZ than those who use Unity for rendering. I can only assume that there are some reasons for this, otherwise it is very strange why they ignore the obvious benefits of using Unity that you mentioned.

EDIT: Sorry, I confused Unity with the Unreal you mentioned.
Perhaps people who have used both DAZ and Unreal can comment on your statement.

Well, it's a pity. I hope you've found games to your liking.

Last edited:

Donettes

Apr 30, 2017
From what I know, he was originally only working on WIAB, while another guy was developing SG based on the Ocean's story and characters. People who followed the game longer may correct me if I'm wrong. The other guy gave up the game and left. So the options were the same as now - throw away one of the games with all its fans.
Yeah, the good ol' Regium's Gone.
The story was always mine. No matter which Chapter we look at.

WIAB & SG are deeply connected and play in the same universe. So does my planned third game (PLF - Female MC.) But I won't start it until the other two are finished.

And Summer's Gone is already written up to Chapter 8.

I just gave Regium the story because I had WIAB and I didn't want to start a second game while my first one wasn't finished.
But because he kept struggling and his motivation was very low (I guess he didn't really feel connected to SG because it wasn't his story.) I stepped in and saved my story from getting abandoned.

I was managing everything social related for him anyways (F95/Discord/Patreon) and as I expected he jumped ship after I overtook.
btw looking that post, he finished the story 3.5 years after writing ch.8, now with a total of 32. Let's see if the Steam release is a success, he gets all the slave computers he needs for rendering and everything goes smoother from now on.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Yeah, the good ol' Regium's Gone.

btw looking that post, he finished the story 3.5 years after writing ch.8, now with a total of 32. Let's see if the Steam release is a success, he gets all the slave computers he needs for rendering and everything goes smoother from now on.
Yeah, Regium was his nickname, thanks!

And frankly, I don't believe that's what people mean when they complain that the game will never be finished.
I mean their concern is out of frustration with the long update cycle. I don't think they really have that strong urge to see the end credits roll while the MC and Bella stand confused in front of the altar and Nami drinks herself up to a coma.

When I started watching the first season of The Walking Dead (no, you're not shaming me for this, it was okay at first), I had no idea that it would go on for a decade and now there would be all these shitty spin-offs there. But if people like the story and the characters, why end it too early just for the sake of "completed" tag? But more frequent updates wouldn't hurt at all.

4.30 star(s) 506 Votes