SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
yeaah, I'm not that invested in WiAB, he could drop the whole project for all I care... I understand it's sort of a prequel and all that, but I just don't care that much about it. Sure it looks nice, but whatever, all of the backstory could be explained in SG if he wanted to
He could, but given how WIAB is in essence the Prequel to SG he could, if he had the brains and wherewithall, focus on the story and set it all up while putting SG on pause so that both stories match up down the road. Because there is going to be some overlapping of things that are going to hinted at or may have happened that we won't know yet in WIAB that get mentioned in SG.

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
I think we have very different approaches to our entertainment.

I enjoy music, especially good/great music, with all forms of my entertainment - be it AVN, TV, or movie for example.

I don't see a difference in my forms of entertainment and music is a key component for it.

I would not enjoy SG, Supernatural or Lord of the Rings nearly as much if I could not enjoy them with their intended music and sound effects.

There are some AVNs I play that have no associated music or sound and I will find tracks that I can play that I will listen to while I enjoy those AVNs - it enriches my experience.

SO - in the end - we have different approaches to how we enjoy our entertainment.

That is nothing unusual - GL finding AVNs that work for you.

Cheers!! :coffee:
Yeah I don't know. There are movies with soundtracks and I hear that music and I see a movie scene tied to that. Star Wars. Lord of the Rings, Highlander (some of that Queen music was very good and iconic, some of it meh). So our approaches aren't that different.

I just didn't like that music piece you posted as an example. And I often don't like them in AVN's. So I just enjoy the story and visuals without the music, because it generally doesn't suit my tastes and I'd rather not taint the experience with music I don't like.

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
Not to mention that Ocean said that he created some animations entirely based on a certain song, he, inspired by the song, came up with a plot and composition for the animation. Therefore, the ban on the use of certain soundtracks was a sudden painful blow to the game.

I don't remember if that animation was still in the last version, when Nia sat down next to MC in the auditorium and blabbered unstoppably, and he leans back in his chair and closes his eyes. There used to be a song "A Certain Shade of Blue", and while camera sequentally focuses on certain girls in the auditorium, the song plays:

There are a lot of choices
Waiting to be made
Too many choices
Making me afraid

There is simply nothing to add or take away, the song absolutely accurately conveys the mood and thoughts of the MC and creates a powerful impression of the scene. When he had to remove the song and replace it with some free filler music track, the scene lost half its focus and no longer leaves such a strong impression as it was before.
Oof then he really should have nailed down permissions to use that music I suppose.

Probably a better idea is to design a game so that your visuals don't rely so heavily on the music that one feels the need to go back to the drawing board if the music is not available. There are plenty of scenarios where one would read an AVN and not be able to do so with sound.

His AVN's are pretty good and I play them without sound.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: hunterashton21

SearingFive

Mar 26, 2020
Taken from Ocean's Summer's Gone - S2 - Chapter 1 - Dev Log #3
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
TLDR
  • Ocean wants to load more characters in the scene for better immersion.
  • He values immersion more than the actual image quality.
  • 4090/3090 combo beaten by A6000 Ada. (Render timings are attached in the spoiler)
  • Cards below 24GB can't load many characters in a given scene, which Ocean is aiming for.
The conversations are not progressing, let's switch to the general discussion about the game. It's great to see people's passion for technical details, but this is not the right place for it.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Oof then he really should have nailed down permissions to use that music I suppose.

Probably a better idea is to design a game so that your visuals don't rely so heavily on the music that one feels the need to go back to the drawing board if the music is not available. There are plenty of scenarios where one would read an AVN and not be able to do so with sound.

His AVN's are pretty good and I play them without sound.
Oh bro, no offense, but everyone is a project manager until it's time to make their own decisions and face the consequences. :)
It's good to know something in advance and act accordingly.
Even better, knowing that shit can happen, to have the resources to deal with the problem.

Ocean explained why this happened. He bought annual tracks' licenses because... Because he said he was a poor guy and couldn't afford permanent licenses.

Well, it worked until the management of the label which songs he used changed. They prohibited their performers from renewing their licenses with Ocean. He tried to negotiate but failed.

Luckily, he was able to permanently secure some of the songs from the old SG playlist, but their use with adult content is prohibited. This is one of the main reasons why he removed even the few barely adult scenes from the first season that were still there.

You might say: if he couldn't afford those songs, why didn't he just use free music. I dunno, bro, probably because he is the author and this is his creation. Perhaps he thinks that without this music the game will lose part of its soul and its existence will be useless. :HideThePain:

But I wouldn't blame Ocean for being stubborn and short-sighted when it comes to licensing music. I've heard of at least two other developers who were also brutally abused by record labels. One is Drifty, the other is DPC. They both had to remove the best songs from their games, the songs which had become the audio posters of their games.

4.30 star(s) 502 Votes