zeph19

Jul 6, 2017
[...]I'm quite happy with his performance.
He develops two games much better, faster, and with a killer quality that many of the devs I follow [...]
Faster compared to which devs and what do you mean when you say "better"? I get the killer quality because those renders are polished as hell.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I notice you went for the ad hominin attack and avoided the elephant in the room
My hot take as someone who's never been a patron is probably less relevant. If the elephant in the room is the update time, and why we're all waiting for breath freshener to help with out baited breath ...there are links on pretty much each page or every other page of the thread to the last couple of dev logs or statements. Ocean said he'd post when it's submitted to steam, which is after he recieved feedback from his private beta team. So, the update to all the rework that drained this thread of so much liveliness (not really) will finally be over for season one, once his beta team point out the glaring mistakes and Ocean submits it to steam. The last communication via discord seemed to imply there was something else going on behind the scenes that has led him to rush forward to release WiaB on steam after the next update (ch4).

So the question is whether you're hopeful, patient or cynical, or a weird combination of all three, as there is the communication of where the game is at, and you don't have to search the thread hard to find it.

But credit to you for being a patron while you could.

Faster compared to which devs and what do you mean when you say "better"? I get the killer quality because those renders are polished as hell.
Ask yourself what devs release an update with 1700+ renders, extra cinematics etc. within 5 months, while also releasing a major update for their second game in that time, and doing further renders on the next chapters of both. It's a small list regardless of quality.

Edit: well, is planning to release praise be the powers of steam!

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
By better, I mean he always tries to improve his processes, hardware and skills whenever possible. He reports be-weekly on each game and shares important information with the players. He interacts with the audience and takes people's feedback and suggestions.
After another "promising" developer goes into radio silence for months, believe me, you will learn to appreciate openness and regular logs from the developer.
Faster than which devs? Let's just say, faster or at the same speed as most solo devs who make games at least roughly close in renders and animation quality to Ocean. I won’t name specific ones - it’s kind of off-topic. Just take a dozen other games and count how many renders their developers make per month or per year.

zeph19

Jul 6, 2017
Ask yourself what devs release an update with 1700+ renders, extra cinematics etc. within 5 months, while also releasing a major update for their second game in that time, and doing further renders on the next chapters of both. It's a small list regardless of quality.

Edit: well, is planning to release praise be the powers of steam!
I don't know, and with renders it's the same as with "lines of code" or "word count" for me - it doesn't really tell me anything about the speed the game is being developed at, because you can measure that in many different ways. For me, speed is the rate at which the game's story is progressing. For you it might be the gigabyte-number going up. He could, and I'm not saying he is, put hundreds of just slightly altered renders where he simply changes a character's hair in the game and sell each as a new render for all I know. The updates don't feel particularly beefy is all I can say, at least for WIAB.

And as for "better", that is also subjective. To me, asking for funding for his threadripper to be able to dish out more updates resulting in him starting a second game and remaking the one that was supposed to get updated faster doesn't exactly mean "better development" to me personally. Working on two games is not a good development practice either, but that seems to have been discussed to death in here, so I'm happy to leave it at that.

His cinematics are unparalleled to me. The one right before the courthouse scene we will maybe never get to is still my favorite moment in AVN history ever.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
By better, I mean he always tries to improve his processes, hardware and skills whenever possible. He reports be-weekly on each game and shares important information with the players. He interacts with the audience and takes people's feedback and suggestions.
After another "promising" developer goes into radio silence for months, believe me, you will learn to appreciate openness and regular logs from the developer.
Faster than which devs? Let's just say, faster or at the same speed as most solo devs who make games at least roughly close in renders and animation quality to Ocean. I won’t name specific ones - it’s kind of off-topic. Just take a dozen other games and count how many renders their developers make per month or per year.
He listens to feedback?
Bro do you think he'll give us the option of eating our own creampie out of Nami?
That would be so sweet and romantic.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
resulting in him starting a second game and remaking the one that was supposed to get updated faster doesn't exactly mean "better development" to me personally. Working on two games is not a good development practice either, but that seems to have been discussed to death in here, so I'm happy to leave it at that.
Do you actually know what you're even talking about?

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I don't know, and with renders it's the same as with "lines of code" or "word count" for me - it doesn't really tell me anything about the speed the game is being developed at, because you can measure that in many different ways. For me, speed is the rate at which the game's story is progressing. For you it might be the gigabyte-number going up. He could, and I'm not saying he is, put hundreds of just slightly altered renders where he simply changes a character's hair in the game and sell each as a new render for all I know. The updates don't feel particularly beefy is all I can say, at least for WIAB.

And as for "better", that is also subjective. To me, asking for funding for his threadripper to be able to dish out more updates resulting in him starting a second game and remaking the one that was supposed to get updated faster doesn't exactly mean "better development" to me personally. Working on two games is not a good development practice either, but that seems to have been discussed to death in here, so I'm happy to leave it at that.

His cinematics are unparalleled to me. The one right before the courthouse scene we will maybe never get to is still my favorite moment in AVN history ever.
I'm not praising the technical achievement of renders for the sake of renders - Ocean tells a story, and each render works towards that. His renders are complex and take a while, but he is still moving fast. The thing is, the story is inhanced by the characters not being the same frame of image for 5 clicks of dialogue. The process of rendering is telling the story as far as I'm concerned, the slight differences I consider nuance, and that is why his cinematics are great as well. The other thing is that Ocean will allow you to make choices that cause you to miss whole chunks of the story, because he's allowing for branching with the different LI paths, playing with a focus on one character will hide a lot of content. It's worth playing the different paths, even if you don't like all the LI's just to get a broader understanding of the story.

I have no desire to support tech purely for tech's sake. I also don't need to understand the details. If it has a purpose, I'm willing to wait for the outcome. Ocean will only get my money once there's a release on Steam anyway, so I lose nothing by waiting.

I agree with you regards that cinematic in WiaB, and we may never see that courthouse scene, but we'll see something equivalent.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
He listens to feedback?
Bro do you think he'll give us the option of eating our own creampie out of Nami?
That would be so sweet and romantic.
I don't know, Joshy, I mean, you can post this suggestion on his Discord, but the dudes there are such a narrow-minded, they probably won't be able to appreciate the beauty of real romance.
Although Nami promised to teach the MC about romance and fisting, perhaps eating a creampie would also be an option :KEK:

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I don't know, Joshy, I mean, you can post this suggestion on his Discord, but the dudes there are such a narrow-minded, they probably won't be able to appreciate the beauty of real romance.
Although Nami promised to teach the MC about romance and fisting, perhaps eating a creampie would also be an option :KEK:
Hey..I'm on the Discord server....

Annoyed.gif

I LOVE romance you heathen!

Dolls (2).gif

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
That's a shame because that could be very romantic.
Of course I also want to snowball with her that would be the ultimate ending to a romantic date.

• Haha
Reactions: yossa999

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
Wow, since you're entitled to speak on behalf of both fan bases for your 2 cents, please exclude me from this statement of yours. :KEK:
I don't "dissent" to Ocean developing two games in any way, and I'm quite happy with his performance.
He develops two games much better, faster, and with a killer quality that many of the devs I follow can't achieve with just one game in production. And I love both games, so I don't want either one to be put on hold.

View attachment 3477052
I was taking you seriously until you said "faster". :KEK:

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
I don't know, and with renders it's the same as with "lines of code" or "word count" for me - it doesn't really tell me anything about the speed the game is being developed at, because you can measure that in many different ways.
Just a personal observation. if two games, A and B, are very similar in rendering quality, average text density per render, and story readability, and if game A contains X renders and game B contains 2*X renders, I'll probably play game B two times longer than game A.
This is why I use the number of static renders as a measure of the amount of content in the game.
I was taking you seriously until you said "faster". :KEK:
When next A.O.A update? :Kappa:

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
Just a personal observation. if two games, A and B, are very similar in rendering quality, average text density per render, and story readability, and if game A contains X renders and game B contains 2*X renders, I'll probably play game B two times longer than game A.
This is why I use the number of static renders as a measure of the amount of content in the game.

When next A.O.A update? :Kappa:
Why this gratuitous attack on Vidal? You are evil, you know very well that he gets depressed and cries. :cautious:

4.40 star(s) 500 Votes