Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
At least that's what Ocean wrote in his devlog (about the WiAB PC lacking assets) :rolleyes:

https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-5-beta-oceanlab.29981/post-12782522

there he stated; " Then I wanted to move that scene over to the WiAB PC to render it with the A6000. Yeaaah, the WiAB PC was lacking 50-100 assets that I would've had to hunt down."
Oh, you mean the exact same post I provided to you earlier, which mentions nothing about 30% you claimed? And that the renders he was having difficulties with were for Season 2, not Season 1 as you claimed?

hermit_tr

Jan 20, 2022
Oh, you mean the exact same post I provided to you earlier, which mentions nothing about 30% you claimed? And that the renders he was having difficulties with were for Season 2, not Season 1 as you claimed?
I explained it in my post some time ago:).
Yellow Part

Just a conclusion from reading some of Ocean's devlogs and quoting conversations here, I might be wrong because it's been a while.
As was the initial plan to launch SG at the end of December or early January, followed by the procurement of new PCs.
But the process was accelerated because Ocean said there were many scenes he couldn't render. (like scenes with lots of people he couldn't render, and he tried dividing the number of rendered characters and combining them with photoshop, but the results didn't satisfy him.)

edit
Unfortunately for me. I don't keep Ocean's weekly devlog, only the preview images I save :sneaky: .
As I remember (if I'm not mistaken), Ocean once stated that PC SG was no longer able to render the rest of the scenes(4090&3090). He can do it on the A6000, either on the WiAB PC or moving the A6000 to the SG PC. but the speed is slower, and reduces the WiAB rendering allowance.

For 30%, Ocean Indeed didn't say exactly, but he said of the remaining scenes that need to be rendered. About 800 of the 1200 have already been rendered, and 400 can only be rendered on the A6000. He didn't say it like that, but it was something like that :unsure: .

Again, all that if my memory serves me correctly :). The majority of discussions on this forum are just for entertainment, so they only enter my short memory .

It's also good if this conversation can refresh our memories about SG :D.
For this part, it's true that I didn't quote from Ocean directly :D.

edit, BTW, I think I've already replied to the 30% problem you mentioned before.
https://f95zone.to/threads/summers-gone-ch-5-beta-oceanlab.29981/page-1612#post-13283197
2nd paragraph

Last edited:

Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
I hope with steam release game will get update for UI because now it's typical Renpy and save UI sometimes bug out and u can't save without Keyboard
I hear you bro, I remember back when SG and WIAB had those amazing transitions and effects for the menu and galleries. Well WIAB still has them on most of the menu, but SG is... yeah. I feel like menu and gallery haven't been worked on in forever.

Reactions: hickdx3

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I hear you bro, I remember back when SG and WIAB had those amazing transitions and effects for the menu and galleries. Well WIAB still has them on most of the menu, but SG is... yeah. I feel like menu and gallery haven't been worked on in forever.
I'm thinking we'll see a few changes in Ch5 full:

- no blueballing screen: as Season 1 is not sold as an 18+ game but a 16+ game, it's unlikely to be needed. There will never be any sex scenes in season 1, so itwould become an in joke for those who followed the development, but would be meaningless in a non adult game for sale. Also, no one should begin by telling people who just bought the game on steam, that there are no sex scenes. It's being sould for what it is, not what it isn't. Probably no obligatoary age check required for a 16+ either.
- Instead of the the blueball screen, we'll probably have some form of opening credit style cinematic.
- Similarly, we'll likely have a proper credits vibe at the end.
- A properly updated gallery. Ocean will have all the renders for Season 1, so it doesn't make sense not to have a completed gallery with the relevant gallery/replay material.
- Scene replays will propably not have the highly amusing sex category: again, great in jokes, but irrelevant for purchasers who aren't already neck deep in AVN's.

Things I hope:
- Nami's photo book - I speculate that Ocean might have some renders of scenes that we've not seen, and that if he does implement Nami's photo book, looking through it will have some plot easter eggs for people who pay attention.
- A consistent font between in game and menus, because they are currently vastly opposed aesthetics. GIve me floral or give me angular, just don't mix them together. I would actually be okay with the tabletop having a different font based on the setting, that would actually be a nice touch.

- It'll stay renpy, but hopefully Ocean will use whatever version is most stable. The big thing is that currently everything we have is a work in progress, so bugs will always be kicked down the line. A commercial release, well, OCean better have a plan to make sure that people can reload their saves without corruption (unless they play modded at their own discretion). I don't think users rage quitting after 'an exception has occured' will be happy to buy season 2.

AlexFXR

Sep 24, 2023
SG subscribers complaining angrily about their resources being used in WIAB. And you know was a time when that was a very common complain... Today is a lot different in this aspect.
I think Ocean himself is to blame for the fact that people are complaining. If I'm not mistaken, it all started when Ocean asked for money to buy 2x3090. SG and Wiab fans gave money to buy video cards. Ocean began making these games by devoting equal development time to them. SG fans began to be outraged by this, they don’t like the fact that their money is spent on creating Wiab, which they are not interested in. They said that SG brings in 3-4 times more money than Wiab, so for every picture made for Wiab, 3-4 pictures should be made for SG, to be fair. As we all know, Ocean didn’t do this and some of the SG fans left. The remaining fans are now keeping a close eye on Ocean. It's good that this hype has died down, but Ocean brings it up every time he talks about buying or leasing new video cards. I think this is what makes SG fans angry.

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
I think Ocean himself is to blame for the fact that people are complaining. If I'm not mistaken, it all started when Ocean asked for money to buy 2x3090. SG and Wiab fans gave money to buy video cards. Ocean began making these games by devoting equal development time to them. SG fans began to be outraged by this, they don’t like the fact that their money is spent on creating Wiab, which they are not interested in. They said that SG brings in 3-4 times more money than Wiab, so for every picture made for Wiab, 3-4 pictures should be made for SG, to be fair. As we all know, Ocean didn’t do this and some of the SG fans left. The remaining fans are now keeping a close eye on Ocean. It's good that this hype has died down, but Ocean brings it up every time he talks about buying or leasing new video cards. I think this is what makes SG fans angry.
It started before any 3090 arrived. And if we talk about history, WIAB patreons funded SG for more than a year until SG matched WIAB's numbers, there were two up dates in a row of SG with lower patreon numbers than WIAB had. But that's in the past-

Reactions: Dark Quean Olivia

SovietRev

Jul 25, 2021
I really like both of these games, different things about either, (like for example I like the MC of WiAB a lot more than SG, and I like the LIs and even the side characters from SG more (and also the overall story).) BUT I half agree with some of the above posts that developing both games at the same time is a colossal mistake. By some grace, the quality does not seem to be affected but the time for production is, obviously. Now, WiAB is canonically the prequel to SG (as far as I understand but correct me if I am wrong) so it would be the logical decision to pause production on SG, even if it results in some patrons leaving and go full speed ahead with the earlier. Now I do not know the financial situation of the Dev in that doing this and taking a hit on income is even possible for them to do and survive but it seems like the healthy solution, because right now, both fan bases have "dissent" for lack of a better word and the vibe is getting too negative for both players and the dev alike. I would really hate for games of this quality to become abandoned. Just my 2 cents.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I really like both of these games, different things about either, (like for example I like the MC of WiAB a lot more than SG, and I like the LIs and even the side characters from SG more (and also the overall story).) BUT I half agree with some of the above posts that developing both games at the same time is a colossal mistake. By some grace, the quality does not seem to be affected but the time for production is, obviously. Now, WiAB is canonically the prequel to SG (as far as I understand but correct me if I am wrong) so it would be the logical decision to pause production on SG, even if it results in some patrons leaving and go full speed ahead with the earlier. Now I do not know the financial situation of the Dev in that doing this and taking a hit on income is even possible for them to do and survive but it seems like the healthy solution, because right now, both fan bases have "dissent" for lack of a better word and the vibe is getting too negative for both players and the dev alike. I would really hate for games of this quality to become abandoned. Just my 2 cents.
The problem is that few people remember the start of the process. WiaB was started development first, the Ocean allowed a friend to develop SG by giving him the script. The co dev decided to stop, and Ocean was left with two games to develop. I am glad he didn't drop either game, but he has made some difficult and some strange choices. Neither group of Patreons is entirely happy, but I don't see an easy solution.

Regardless of that, The idea that pausing the development of either one will result in something better sooner, is not necessarily true. Sure Ocean would have more time spent on whichever was focused on, but the stories wouldn't be woven together as well. Seeing character like Emilio appear in WiaB are due to Ocean developing SG. Some models he rejected for WiaB have become characters in SG. As the games coincide, developing them together allows Ocean to deal with continuity in a different way, and keeps the levels of the story writing consistent. So there are benefits, with the obvious detriments.

Ocean's recent update on discord (almost 2 weeks ago I think) mentions that th enext update for WiaB will put WiaB on steam also. We'll just have to see where the development goes, as the current patrons are still mostly willing to see both games developed, or they wouldn't have stayed the distance. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to process if the paying supports are still supporting. We have years of content ahead in any regards.

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
The problem is that few people remember the start of the process. WiaB was started development first, the Ocean allowed a friend to develop SG by giving him the script. The co dev decided to stop, and Ocean was left with two games to develop. I am glad he didn't drop either game, but he has made some difficult and some strange choices. Neither group of Patreons is entirely happy, but I don't see an easy solution.

Regardless of that, The idea that pausing the development of either one will result in something better sooner, is not necessarily true. Sure Ocean would have more time spent on whichever was focused on, but the stories wouldn't be woven together as well. Seeing character like Emilio appear in WiaB are due to Ocean developing SG. Some models he rejected for WiaB have become characters in SG. As the games coincide, developing them together allows Ocean to deal with continuity in a different way, and keeps the levels of the story writing consistent. So there are benefits, with the obvious detriments.

Ocean's recent update on discord (almost 2 weeks ago I think) mentions that th enext update for WiaB will put WiaB on steam also. We'll just have to see where the development goes, as the current patrons are still mostly willing to see both games developed, or they wouldn't have stayed the distance. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to process if the paying supports are still supporting. We have years of content ahead in any regards.
One thing I've noticed in the years since I've been a WIAB patreon is that it's a silent public in "public", although I chalk it up to the big bump that happened between 0.6 and 1 re worked. (even I myself am not active on the discord and here on f95 my first posts on WIAB were complaining).
Being very honest, WIAB could not be as popular as SG, slow burn NTR is not something that appeals massively to any of the audiences. Protagonists who are not teenagers but behave like teenagers and especially nowadays, anything that appears in SG is a spoiler for WIAB.
Since the only reality is "Ocean does not want to leave the game", giving that as the only possible answer, I propose you to think about the different scenarios that can occur:
Put SG on hold: would you put your most popular game, the one that grows little by little with each passing month despite the long periods of development, on hold for an indeterminate time?
Put on pause WIAB: if SG advances steadily, not as a stand alone but as part of a universe that starts in WIAB, wouldn't that make every connection or easter egg a possible major spoiler? would you play later a game where you know some of the plot beforehand? because spoilers in SG that connect directly with the main characters of WIAB would be huge spoilers?
Abandon WIAB: if you can't pause a game because the other would uncover secrets, you can only leave it unfinished, ...
Last but not least, what nobody thinks is even a possibility, abandon SG.
I also believed that the reasonable thing to do was to put something on pause, but that implies so many problems that in the end the only thing left is to abandon the less successful project.
And I insist, the only answer is the official one, Ocean is not going to abandon WIAB.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
One thing I've noticed in the years since I've been a WIAB patreon is that it's a silent public in "public", although I chalk it up to the big bump that happened between 0.6 and 1 re worked. (even I myself am not active on the discord and here on f95 my first posts on WIAB were complaining).
Being very honest, WIAB could not be as popular as SG, slow burn NTR is not something that appeals massively to any of the audiences. Protagonists who are not teenagers but behave like teenagers and especially nowadays, anything that appears in SG is a spoiler for WIAB.
I'm glad Ocean's not abandoning either game. I think I played SG before I discovered WiaB, but not by much. I'm probably more eager to find out what's going on in WiaB, even though I enjoy SG a lot.

Having said that, no one wants Ocean to take a second longer, and it's completely rational to wantf orward motion on all fronts. Creative industries are commonly set back from their deadlines, and there are always more random contingencies than planned: creatives are the worst project managers. I'm not defending Ocean, but it's my impatience that makes me unhappy, rather than his delays. But today would be good for all kinds of new things, or in the worst case tomorrow :sneaky: :coffee: there's always coffee in the mean time I guess...

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
[...] because right now, both fan bases have "dissent" for lack of a better word and the vibe is getting too negative for both players and the dev alike.
Wow, since you're entitled to speak on behalf of both fan bases for your 2 cents, please exclude me from this statement of yours. :KEK:
I don't "dissent" to Ocean developing two games in any way, and I'm quite happy with his performance.
He develops two games much better, faster, and with a killer quality that many of the devs I follow can't achieve with just one game in production. And I love both games, so I don't want either one to be put on hold.

zoners_vs_ocean.jpg

slackster

Feb 1, 2017
What's the bail out date for suckers Patreons without an update?
December 2024 or Dec 2026? :cool:
Good luck to Ocean - I have a feeling that he will need more than luck though
Edit: was a Patreon for 6 months but can't justify the expense these days

Last edited:

slackster

Feb 1, 2017
*sighs*.....see the whining about time is back....

So gonna stoke the fires and piss all you pathetic SG fans off...he should have scrapped it and just carried on with the better VN....WIAB! :love: :devilish:
I notice you went for the ad hominin attack and avoided the elephant in the room

4.40 star(s) 500 Votes