Sep 3, 2020
I understand that this version of what happened seems logical, but for some reason I can't help thinking that Oceanlab wouldn't have called the game Summer's Gone if he had originally planned the death of the protagonist's girlfriend.
Although, perhaps the game's title is just a play on words, and with Summer's death the MC lost all the warmth and joy of life that summer brings.
don't get me wrong I hope I'm wrong and summer is alive and something tells me that the answer lies in the mc dreams

Reactions: Simon7

Soundgfx

May 4, 2020
I understand that this version of what happened seems logical, but for some reason I can't help thinking that Oceanlab wouldn't have called the game Summer's Gone if he had originally planned the death of the protagonist's girlfriend.
Although, perhaps the game's title is just a play on words, and with Summer's death the MC lost all the warmth and joy of life that summer brings.
She better be dead.

Also nami's currently occupying summer's character archetype judging from how summer acts in the flashbacks she's a goofball type, you can't have two goofballs gunning for one guy, it'll be like picking either one of what amounts to two palette swapped ninjas with the same fighting style in a fighting game.

Jokes aside if summer turns out to be alive for whatever reason I just hope she doesn't just pop back into our funny haired MC's life because that's kind of a dick move. All that dude needs is closure and if she's dead it'll be both closure and aceptancee he needs.

Last edited:

forthewins

Feb 5, 2021
I also think that she is dead, for me he repressed his memory of Summer´s death to avoid reliving the pain of her loss.
I believe that Nami and Nojiko know that she is dead and they dont tell him so that he doesnt suffer more of what has already suffered.
Has the MC ever said anything that implied he thought she was still alive? I've just always gotten the impression from everyone that she's dead and he also thinks she's dead.

I can see that there could easily be a twist where she's still alive and he's just blocked things out and mistakenly thinks she's dead. But here you're saying the exact opposite.

D3xzalias

Aug 1, 2018
Has the MC ever said anything that implied he thought she was still alive? I've just always gotten the impression from everyone that she's dead and he also thinks she's dead.

I can see that there could easily be a twist where she's still alive and he's just blocked things out and mistakenly thinks she's dead. But here you're saying the exact opposite.
Nope MC Never said she was dead just gone. That's why i think something happened to her parents. That's why the sheriff came to get her. And was probably placed in foster care or at distant family member.

And about the hospital i think since MC and Summer were so close i honestly think he saw her parents also as his parents
And if something happened to them. Like they died and had to identify them yeah it's gonna fuck with him. He said he saw her one last time and probably was a goodbye as she went to foster and MC had to go back to Nojiko and Nami

Quick edit i also have possible Parent kidnapping theory where a parent killed the other parent and took off with Summer But that has little plausibility to work since that would require Summer to be home and no sheriff to be involved

Last edited:

Deleted member 2528490

Jun 28, 2020

There's a point where Nami is talking to MC and she says something like “Summer's disappearance”. That choice of words indicate they don't know what happened to her, leaving the door open for her still being alive.

Rumplepuss

Aug 28, 2020
I'm not a fan of the Summer's death theory either, I think there's a subtle hint in the story that Nami was involved in her disappearance. I think cheeto beauty feels guilty about it, so she won't repeat her mistake and interfere in the MC relationship with Bella.
As for Summer's disappearance, I think she'll show up somewhere around chapter 8, right around the time when the MC gets his personal life together and becomes his old self. Summer's appearance will make our hero completely lose his mind :D
Mission Accomplished.
When it comes to Summer we don't know much about her. There are a lot or orphans in Summer's Gone, including the MC, Nami, Victoria and Maja, all of who lost their parents while very young. Could Summer be in the same boat? Maybe another orphan who had been adopted, fostered or was living in care and supported by social services? If Summer did have a family did they vanish when she did? And if not who are they, where are they, and what have they been doing? (Could Summer be a member of the Frohn or Zane clans?) Summer can't have been much older than mid-teens when she vanished, which would have made it very difficult for her to have run away and stayed gone without significant help from someone, or some people, significantly older.

(Not completely impossible for a teen to vanish but without assistance, money and resources very hard to pull off alone.)

Until we know more about Summer's backstory and the shocking events surrounding her disappearance, which traumatised the MC and rendered him partially amnesiac apparently, all we can do is to speculate about her fate. Nobody in the story so far, including the MC himself and Nami, have ever said anything or behaved as if Summer has perished and actually known to be deceased. Personally I firmly believe that the Summer character is alive and eventually will reappear at some point and convulse the life of the MC for good or ill. I find it hard to believe that a character who has lent her name to the title of the story, whose disappearance is directly responsible for the MC's suffering and plight, is going to turn out to have died five years before the story began without anybody knowing.

(That just doesn't seem right to me at all.)

I've been looking at WiaB and SG when I have the chance and kind of think that they really may be set decades apart. In WiaB the male hairstyles (pony tails and mullets) and designer stubble plus male/female fashions have an 1980s "Miami Vice" vibe about them, whereas SG seems much more contemporary and suspect that the stories could be as much as thirty, forty or more years apart. It could be that events occurring in WiaB have echoed down the decades causing, directly or indirectly, several major events in SG, possibly even having a hand in Summer's disappearance itself.

Can't really sensibly even guess at what's going on with so little information available at this stage in the game.

Last edited:

forthewins

Feb 5, 2021
Nobody in the story so far, including the MC himself and Nami, have ever said anything or behaved as if Summer has perished and actually known to be deceased.
If the MC thinks Summer is alive, don't you think it's extremely odd that he's never once thought about the possibility of ever seeing her again? That he's never thought about trying to find her?

It's easier for me to believe that the MC thinks she's dead but she's alive than it is to believe that he thinks she's alive. We're in his head. It'd basically take the writer actively being dishonest towards us, censoring the MC's thoughts constantly, for him to think she's alive.

Rumplepuss

Aug 28, 2020
If the MC thinks Summer is alive, don't you think it's extremely odd that he's never once thought about the possibility of ever seeing her again? That he's never thought about trying to find her?

It's easier for me to believe that the MC thinks she's dead but she's alive than it is to believe that he thinks she's alive. We're in his head. It'd basically take the writer actively being dishonest towards us, censoring the MC's thoughts constantly, for him to think she's alive.
Thing is Summer's Gone begins five years AFTER Summer disappeared and we have no idea what the MC did immediately after Summer vanished or what he's been doing over the last half decade. For all we know he might have spent years helping the police and scouring the country looking for her. We just don't know. That's the problem. At this stage of the game we don't have much of a clue about what's happened between Summer's disappearance and where we are now, some five years after she went missing. :unsure:

forthewins

Feb 5, 2021
Thing is Summer's Gone begins five years AFTER Summer disappeared and we have no idea what the MC did immediately after Summer vanished or what he's been doing over the last half decade. For all we know he might have spent years helping the police and scouring the country looking for her. We just don't know. That's the problem. At this stage of the game we don't have much of a clue about what's happened between Summer's disappearance and where we are now, some five years after she went missing. :unsure:
Yeah, but he's still freaking hung up on her. If there was any chance in his mind that she was alive, I think he'd still occasionally have to deal with random thoughts of maybe seeing her again, and then beat them back to stop giving himself hope. Instead he just seems 100% resigned that it will never happen.

The only way I think this could be the case if she's still alive is if he's so blocked out that possiblity in his head that he now 100% believes she's dead. As in he's forgotten that she may still be alive because of how mentally unwell he is. I do think that possibility lines up well with everything we've seen. (Though I also think her actually being dead lines up well too.)

This can just be a story about overcoming grief. It doesn't need her to come back at all for it to work, or for the title to work.

Rumplepuss

Aug 28, 2020
Yeah, but he's still freaking hung up on her. If there was any chance in his mind that she was alive, I think he'd still occasionally have to deal with random thoughts of maybe seeing her again, and then beat them back to stop giving himself hope. Instead he just seems 100% resigned that it will never happen.

The only way I think this could be the case if she's still alive is if he's so blocked out that possibility in his head that he now 100% believes she's dead. As in he's forgotten that she may still be alive because of how mentally unwell he is. I do think that possibility lines up well with everything we've seen. (Though I also think her actually being dead lines up well too.)

This can just be a story about overcoming grief. It doesn't need her to come back at all for it to work, or for the title to work.
Personally I think the reason that the MC is still in pieces is because he has no closure as far as Summer's disappearance is concerned not knowing, consciously at least, what actually happened to the "love of his life" and therefore can't let go of either the past or his pain. If the MC knew exactly what had befallen Summer, e.g., she had been killed in an accident, say, he could have grieved, recovered and moved on with his life, but because he doesn't know (or can't remember) what actually happened to her can't loosen his grip on all that suffering and so is forced to carry it around with him like a bear with its cub. Now it could be that the MC really doesn't know what occurred because he's not in full possession of all of the facts as per how, where, when and why Summer vanished. Or it could be that buried somewhere in that tortured mind of his the MC knows everything connected with Summer vanishing but found the truth too agonising to be able to endure and so suppressed those memories to such an extent that now he can't recall any of them consciously anymore. Which is probably why Amber is encouraging and helping him to recover as many memories as possible in a bid to give him the closure he needs and afford him a measure of peace.

(I've heard of people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder experiencing phenomena along these lines .)

At this point we can only theorise but I feel, possibly wrongly, that if Summer's death had been established and was public knowledge Nojiko and Nami, one or other of them, or both probably, would have mentioned it and/or spoken about it frequently in the MC's presence to snap him out of his fugue and make him face up to the bereavement and his situation. Which implies that whatever happened to Summer probably remains a mystery to everyone, except those responsible and most intimately involved, including the police force and not least the MC himself.

The more I think about it the more fascinated and confused I become; never felt like this about any other VN ever.

(Anyway I'm going to stop this speculation for a while now before I give myself a headache!)

Last edited:

Simon7

Jul 30, 2017
At this point we can only theorise but I feel, possibly wrongly, that if Summer's death had previously been established and was public knowledge Nojiko and Nami, one or other, or both probably, would have mentioned it and/or spoken about it frequently in the MC's presence to snap him out of his fugue and make him face up to his situation. Which implies that whatever happened to Summer remains a mystery to everyone uninvolved, including the police force and not least the MC himself.

The more I think about it the more fascinated and confused I become; never felt like this about any other VN ever.

(Anyway I'm going to stop this speculation for a while now before I give myself a headache!)
I guess the right thing to do now is to stop thinking about it and wait for the next chapter, in which Amber is supposed to take the main character to the cabin where it all started. I think if they show us that event, we'll have more food for thought.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
4.30 star(s) 502 Votes