Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022
I agree with you that the quality of this game is superb in terms of story, characters and renders. Of course I wish this game the best once it hits steam, but I am talking in practicality since the average user might not even consider the game if games like this gets pumped out all the time, regardless of how nice the renders look. Obviously, I want to be proven wrong and see the sales sky rocket, but only time will tell.

Also, if you are comparing strictly render quality, there are competitors, if few. For example, give Acquainted a try. It is new so it's super short. But so far right now what it lacks in story the high quality renders make up for it.
Well, when I started playing VNs 3 or 4 years back - I was overwhelmed in the beginning. But most VNs are... not very good. And once you start searching for better ones you will find them. That goes here in the F95 forum (I mostly checked out games in signatures) and in Steam you can check the the rating overall and go into detail in the reviews once you are interested. So it is even easier.

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
I'm not sure why he hasn't considered polishing up chapter 2 and then push for chapter 5 for the steam release at least to get the game out there first so there could be revenue and then go back to the alternating WiaB and SG plan. It just seems like a more financially profitable move. Alternating now greatly pushes back the steam release date, thus delaying revenue. Also gives time for other games to be released which by now, the market is already over saturated with these types of games.
Financially profitable is not the be all and end all. A game at this level of quality is a labor of love. It is paramount that Ocean enjoys doing the work too. And the preferred way for Ocean is to alternate the way it is done now.

People really should stop flogging this dead horse issue about how Ocean works between the 2 games.

Drakenite

Aug 16, 2021
Yes, but he's also communicated that he is facing an increase in costs of energy as well as health issues revolving around his current living situation. Having money solves the problems he's having. If I understood correctly, his patreon subscriptions alone isn't enough to feasibly resolve his current issues.

The benefits of an earlier steam release contribute to multiple factors, not just the immediate gains to profit. Of course, expenses get paid off comfortably, potential upgrade in equipment, affordable and healthier living conditions. All leads to positive outlook that ultimately coincides with what you have said - enjoyable work environment. I have no qualms with his alternating strategy long term. But it just makes sense to re-strategize for the earlier years so that his problems can be mitigated.

seniorboop

Jun 5, 2021
Anyone under the assumption that this game is guaranteed to do significant numbers under the "Mature" or "Visual Novel" categories on Steam need to double back to the popular titles moving units in those categories, how many units they're moving, as well as learning how product categorization works on Steam if not already aware. Also keep in mind Steam's significant cut of each sale.

In the VN category alone he'll be competing with full titles offering exponentially more content, legitimate studios putting out non-renpy genre-spanning 2/3D VNs with unique mechanics, and various smaller teams that can produce more content with competitive quality faster. It's a completely different ballgame than F95.

I like Summer's Gone as much as the next and would like to see it succeed but barring a significant tonal shift in the lead up to chapter 5 it's not really doing anything that will set it apart amongst its competition on the platform.

sageproduct

Mar 16, 2021
In the VN category alone he'll be competing with full titles offering exponentially more content, legitimate studios putting out non-renpy genre-spanning 2/3D VNs with unique mechanics, and various smaller teams that can produce more content with competitive quality faster. It's a completely different ballgame than F95.

I like Summer's Gone as much as the next and would like to see it succeed but barring a significant tonal shift in the lead up to chapter 5 it's not really doing anything that will set it apart amongst its competition on the platform.
There's a reason that when you see a McDonald's, you'll probably also see a Burger King or Wendy's close by.

Some forget how much competition makes the pie bigger for everyone, and that it's much less about fighting over a static, ungrowing pie.

This is especially true in a genre centered around storytelling and not gameplay, greatly reducing the amount of time most will spend on replay.

Just look at how many people who've enjoyed Being a DIK, City of Broken Dreamers, and the other top titles, and are going around just begging for more recommendations.

4.30 star(s) 506 Votes