Hero1

"I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Donor
Sep 20, 2017
Is it me or does DC making enabling the console harder and harder every update. I changed the console file, I added the option file, but it's still not working.
They changed the way to open it at least since the last version:

Reactions: ChirpChirp

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
At the moment I open this thread about every time after you opened it.
I mean, there have always been people around who like the game but the recent number of people with hate boners is actually quite astonishing. I mean, it's fine to spend time on something you like but I have no idea why someone would invest that same amount of time just to tell people how much he doesn't like the game/DC. Though I guess that happens to every project once it actually reaches a certain number of people.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I get that the last updates were lackluster, especially after the Roxxy update which did almost everything right in my opinion.
I guess the Eve update will show if he can repeat something similar. I mean, I get that he's got a little less time by now due to his two small kids, but I still hope that it'll feel a little better given that there won't be any old content involved. Don't get me wrong, I quite liked Diane and what I've played for Jenny so far but since so much was known before, it still wasn't as much of a surprise.

TK8000

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2017
No, my argument is that the SS coder is the authority on SS's modified engine. That until that specific someone can produce a better game using that modified engine (or even the basic engine), I'm more likely to not care about his so-called expertise.
About that discussion, I think I can collaborate since I've been using Renpy for a little over 1 year.

I don't follow the Summertime Saga so closely and I've never seen the game code, but I know that the developer seems to have a lot of difficulty applying certain things in the game and features that are guaranteed by default in Renpy, like support for old saves, don't work in their game.

I believe there are two possible explanations for the problems they face with the engine:
1. At the beginning of the game's production, they understood that Renpy only supports linear Visual Novels and decided that they would need to use more advanced Python functions if they wanted to create the game that they envisioned. They then created some basic functions and built the whole game on top of them.
2. they consider the limitations of Renpy for minigames as a determining factor

If Case 1 happened, then I believe that the developers were wrong when they evaluated the possibilities of the engine initially. Renpy supports a game with the same Summertime Saga features only with the basic functions of the program. This includes: open world concept, characters available in several different locations at different times, non-linear stories, repeatable events, dating sim elements, etc. I guarantee 100% that it is possible to recreate all important parts of the Summertime Saga without using a single Python line. The only difference is that the code would be less optimized and developers would probably spend more time to apply certain things in the game.

What probably happens, in my opinion, is that programmers have tried to reinvent the wheel and have made the engine less able to support a game like Summertime Saga than Renpy is originally. It is not normal for a game like Summertime Saga to have 200 bugs with each update. Even less normal is the new content breaking old content. This demonstrates that the code is a total mess and most likely harder to work than a pure Renpy code (which would be enough to recreate almost the entire game).

The second case is related to minigames. In fact, some of the minigames apparently "expand" the engine's possibilities. But then a more critical assessment is needed. Does it make sense to spend time and effort on minigames? I may be wrong, but I would say that 99.9% of players are more interested in the relationship with Roxxy or the Mom (I forgot her name) than collecting dick-shaped vegetables in the garden :ROFLMAO:.

Hero1

"I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Donor
Sep 20, 2017
I guess the Eve update will show if he can repeat something similar. I mean, I get that he's got a little less time by now due to his two small kids, but I still hope that it'll feel a little better given that there won't be any old content involved. Don't get me wrong, I quite liked Diane and what I've played for Jenny so far but since so much was known before, it still wasn't as much of a surprise.
I liked Jenny's update as well (OK, Diane's not so much), but like you said it doesn't feel as good as really new content. I would liken it to watching a movie you've seen before but now it's a remastered rerelease with some new scenes thrown in. You may still like the new look but it is all familiar and there is little chance of really "wow"ing you.
The teacher and Roxxy updates were more memorable to me, although the arcs of Debbie, Diane and Jenny are similarly complex (just with different characters and personalities). The problem really seems to be that we didn't get the finished story from start to finish but first a rough outline and later some refining.

I'm really glad the next two updates will be completely new content and until then I will continue my support for him.

Reactions: Somnus

AnonX

Aug 22, 2016
This ain't the walkthrough section my friend.
No, but it's the main thread for discussion and information regarding the game, and currently that is being buried behind hundreds of pages of pointless bickering. I posted a fix for a bug that was being reported by a lot of people a little while back and it got swept by the "NO U" spam in like 15 seconds.

You wanna bump your heads in a circular arguement just use the fucking PM feature, it's there for a reason.

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
About that discussion, I think I can collaborate since I've been using Renpy for a little over 1 year.

I don't follow the Summertime Saga so closely and I've never seen the game code, but I know that the developer seems to have a lot of difficulty applying certain things in the game and features that are guaranteed by default in Renpy, like support for old saves, don't work in their game.

I believe there are two possible explanations for the problems they face with the engine:
1. At the beginning of the game's production, they understood that Renpy only supports linear Visual Novels and decided that they would need to use more advanced Python functions if they wanted to create the game that they envisioned. They then created some basic functions and built the whole game on top of them.
2. they consider the limitations of Renpy for minigames as a determining factor

If Case 1 happened, then I believe that the developers were wrong when they evaluated the possibilities of the engine initially. Renpy supports a game with the same Summertime Saga features only with the basic functions of the program. This includes: open world concept, characters available in several different locations at different times, non-linear stories, repeatable events, dating sim elements, etc. I guarantee 100% that it is possible to recreate all important parts of the Summertime Saga without using a single Python line. The only difference is that the code would be less optimized and developers would probably spend more time to apply certain things in the game.

What probably happens, in my opinion, is that programmers have tried to reinvent the wheel and have made the engine less able to support a game like Summertime Saga than Renpy is originally. It is not normal for a game like Summertime Saga to have 200 bugs with each update. Even less normal is the new content breaking old content. This demonstrates that the code is a total mess and most likely harder to work than a pure Renpy code (which would be enough to recreate almost the entire game).

The second case is related to minigames. In fact, some of the minigames apparently "expand" the engine's possibilities. But then a more critical assessment is needed. Does it make sense to spend time and effort on minigames? I may be wrong, but I would say that 99.9% of players are more interested in the relationship with Roxxy or the Mom (I forgot her name) than collecting dick-shaped vegetables in the garden :ROFLMAO:.
Thank you for such a well written view on the engine itself. I appreciate this a lot as it helps understand things as a whole. I don't know why SS has as many issues as it does and I do hope they figure out why it's so troublesome.

Does Ren'py have multiple versions? Is it possible that they're using an older, more archaic version than newer ones with newer features? Like Ren'py V1 that's very basic while the newest is Ren'py V7 with a lot of built in features for example?

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
No, but it's the main thread for discussion and information regarding the game, and currently that is being buried behind hundreds of pages of pointless bickering. I posted a fix for a bug that was being reported by a lot of people a little while back and it got swept by the "NO U" spam in like 15 seconds.

You wanna bump your heads in a circular arguement just use the fucking PM feature, it's there for a reason.
First post specifically says not to ask for Walkthrough help here. Go to the walkthrough thread instead.

Reactions: sregi

kid5150

May 27, 2018
If this has already been posted and I got lost in the last couple of pages, I'm sorry.

But is anyone else having trouble delivering pizzas in the new update? I deliver the pizzas and get paid by Tony, but the money does not show up in my total. It stays the same.

Also, Jenny's pregnancy does not seem to be progressing. Is that as far as the content this update?

Reactions: TurtleKing9000
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes