AnonX

Aug 22, 2016
First post specifically says not to ask for Walkthrough help here. Go to the walkthrough thread instead.
Could you kindly point out to me where in the blazes did i say that the thread should be used for walkthrough questions? Straw man fallacy much?

It's perfectly fine to discuss every single point being debated here because that's one of the reason this threads exists, but this is a perfect example of how infuriatlingly often it devolves into petty personal arguements that do little else than clutter the place. Trying to find any relevant piece of information here is like looking for a needle on a haystack.

Automata

Apr 10, 2017
also, the why troll people that play with the ability to buy 3 different kinds of cars up to a sports cars for $10000 and the when you buy it nothing happen at all other then you loosing $10000 of your money, no car, no scene, and no nothing. lol WTF
Aren't the cars and bikes only used in the pizza delivery game?

Hambone0304

May 22, 2018
If this has already been posted and I got lost in the last couple of pages, I'm sorry.

But is anyone else having trouble delivering pizzas in the new update? I deliver the pizzas and get paid by Tony, but the money does not show up in my total. It stays the same.

Also, Jenny's pregnancy does not seem to be progressing. Is that as far as the content this update?
im having the same issue with the money anyone know a way around this or do i need to restart?

rewyn

Nov 6, 2017
18.0 has a few bugs, and since I stopped being a patreon I cannot post them to My Kompas site. So far, the game is somehow missing, the night scene of the treehouse location, and this just happened:missing, coin1, so essentially MC cannot work the odd jobs for money Screen shot 2019-05-03 at 12.42.09 PM.png

jowishg

Yare yare dawa (ง •̀_•́)ง
Donor
May 6, 2018
If you encounter some bugs just wait for the hotfix release, the dev said it SHOULD BE out today

jowishg

Yare yare dawa (ง •̀_•́)ง
Donor
May 6, 2018
Swear on your mother or I won't believe it.
Go check the discord : "HOTFIX is almost ready, will try and release tomorrow (getting bit late, sorry for those waiting on the public links)! In other news, I created the tasks for 18.5 so our new progress bar is up and running (will have tasks closing soon when we release the hotfix)!"

He said that some minutes past midnight though, so it could be tomorrow at the latest. And judging by his local time, he lives in Canada so it also depends where you guys live.

TK8000

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2017
Thank you for such a well written view on the engine itself. I appreciate this a lot as it helps understand things as a whole. I don't know why SS has as many issues as it does and I do hope they figure out why it's so troublesome.

Does Ren'py have multiple versions? Is it possible that they're using an older, more archaic version than newer ones with newer features? Like Ren'py V1 that's very basic while the newest is Ren'py V7 with a lot of built in features for example?
It has multiple versions but the few changes that are made are not that significant.

See, Renpy is basically an accessible language for people with no programming experience to be able to create Visual Novels. The simplicity comes at a price: when you want to expand the scope of your game, you have to start writing more and more redundant code because the language does not give you easy solutions to complex things (that's not the intention).

But Renpy is based on Python and you can use this language to create more complex functions that will help your code become more optimized and practical to use in complex situations. I believe that is the case of the Summertime Saga. The problem, in my view, is that some programmer made a mistake early in the process and the game began to be built on a base that is not that good. This results in hundreds of bugs per update and players being unable to use basic functions such as loading old games, rollback text, etc.

But you see, I'm guessing this, because I don't read the STS code. I formed this opinion based on playing one version of the game (0.17 I think), not analyzing the code. Anyway, in my opinion, one of the strangest things in the Summertime Saga is that, except for the minigames, there is really nothing in the game that would justify a very intense modification of Renpy. Much of the gameplay can be easily recreated using the basic functions of Renpy without the programmer having to spend much time. It's not as if an intense optimization was crucial to creating a game with the same style as the Summertime Saga in Renpy. That's why I think someone tried at some point to reinvent the wheel and ended up doing a monumental shit.

Deleted member 24136

Donor
May 4, 2017
Go check the discord : "HOTFIX is almost ready, will try and release tomorrow (getting bit late, sorry for those waiting on the public links)! In other news, I created the tasks for 18.5 so our new progress bar is up and running (will have tasks closing soon when we release the hotfix)!"

He said that some minutes past midnight though, so it could be tomorrow at the latest. And judging by his local time, he lives in Canada so it also depends where you guys live.
Thanks mate.

Reactions: frank42 and jowishg

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
Could you kindly point out to me where in the blazes did i say that the thread should be used for walkthrough questions? Straw man fallacy much?

It's perfectly fine to discuss every single point being debated here because that's one of the reason this threads exists, but this is a perfect example of how infuriatlingly often it devolves into petty personal arguements that do little else than clutter the place. Trying to find any relevant piece of information here is like looking for a needle on a haystack.
I meant to respond to a guy a post or two above you, apologies. He wanted to use the thread for walkthrough stuff.

Reactions: frank42

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Seriously dude... there are personal opinions with valid arguments.. yours is not amongs them.. you are VERY biased.. no matter if DC released the most shitiesst update of all games, you would still defend him. This post is proof of it xD
No one can make a valid argument as far what people like. So far almost no one even made a solid opinion as to why they disliked it and how it was worse or better than the other updates.
Saying dumb nonsense like UGHHHHHH SO DUM XDDD BAD UPDATE XDDD doesn't count for much. It's not constructive and nothing can be made from it to further the discussion. Yet it's what people mostly say here

Erectosaurus

Dec 28, 2018
No one can make a valid argument as far what people like. So far almost no one even made a solid opinion as to why they disliked it and how it was worse or better than the other updates.
Saying dumb nonsense like UGHHHHHH SO DUM XDDD BAD UPDATE XDDD doesn't count for much. It's not constructive and nothing can be made from it to further the discussion. Yet it's what people mostly say here
What do you mean nobody has a solid opinion? This update is riddled with bugs, short, not worth the six months it took to deliver and doesn't add anything to Jenny as a character. Those seem like pretty solid criticisms to me. What do you want people to do then? Just pretend everything was great? Nah my dude this update was straight :poop::poop::poop:

Hauptmann

May 22, 2018
I think I need to expand on something here that is not often discussed. As far as what DC does it is ultimately his work, And he is free to do the story and characters he wants, that is his right. I don't presume to tell him what he must do and what can't be done. However by the same token as he uses Patreon to ask for money it is very naive to think that people will just fork over money and not have an opinion on your work. Disney found that out with Star Wars the hard way, we're still seeing he effects today. People love to talk about the rights they have yet the notion of consequences still escapes them, as if having a right to something means being free of consequences.

The reason why I bring this up is to clarify the fact that DC has every right to make the product he wants, in whatever direction he wants to make it. By the same token, I have every right to end my support of this product because it's gone in directions I really didn't want it to go. If others enjoy his work, then all power to them.

It wasn't the bugs or even the long wait time that killed my patience with the game. It was the narrative directions the story went. Throughout history people are drawn to and identify with characters who not only struggle but change and grow as the story progresses. We also like to see characters get their comeuppance. And this is where DC hast lost me with Summertime Saga. Basically the changes made to the MC's story and Jenny for the most part, also their mother. To a lesser extent Roxxy and Dexter as well. Before the MC would begin as a dorky somewhat fish out of water type character who would grow more liked and likeable as well as being more self sufficient and more dignified. Jenny was an angry conceited bitch who didn't want to work but saw alternative means at an income and increasingly saw the value in her family. The story wasn't complete and I believed in the future the story would show a sort of respect if not actual love. But in this overhaul of the story, Jenny has no only lost anything redeeming about her. She's even more infuriating and insufferable. Not only doesn't change one jot throughout the story but has gained even more cuntish traits, she blames everything on everyone else, she's greedy, She is conceited to an absurd degree and even delusional. She went from an entitled but harmless girl to a complete psychopath. Worse yet the MC has become completely passive and basically a doormat who will cower and submit because his sister has a hot body... It wouldn't be so bad if one had a choice in the matter but no you're forced to submit pathetically and be manipulated by the Cunt formerly known as Jenny, It's not sexy it's infuriating and does not inspire me to play and see more. Also the mother [debbie] just puts up with this. Sorry but these things turn me off from not only the H scenes but the story as a whole and I end up at best not caring at all for these characters... Take a drink every time Jenny says Loser or Shut up.

Dexter and Roxxy were also annoying but it wasn't as bad. Again the forced helplessness, Dexter responds to everything with violence and everyone else just cowers all the time. At least he gets a sort of comeuppance later on but still it's just the tired 'I'll kick your ass' response to everything with characters cowering until then and it gets old very fast. Roxxy sort of has an arc but really how quickly her behaviour is put up with and forgiven... is very unsatisfying. Basically the main theme of the game has become everything is ok when you have a nice body.

I don't know about everyone here but H scenes stop being sexy when the particiants are completely unlikable people with trite immunity from consequences. And while I'll reiterate DC's right to do what he likes. I doubt putting people off is something he wants to do.

acebob

Jul 7, 2018
Got stuck in the tree house with a error screen. Can't get out.

Nightmare material, really. XD

Deleted the game, will be waiting for the fixed version for now.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes