MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
Have you ever coded a Ren'Py game? It's not only having the art in place. Layered images make things easier once in place, but the emphasis lies heavily on "once in place" here.
I haven't, but I'm guessing it works something like "Images A, B, and C @ Positions Q, R, and S"? So character body, head, mouth flaps, etc. are placed appropriately on top one another and then faded or reappeared at certain timings based on the scene. Shouldn't implementing the new posing of scenes that have been done once already be as simple as "Images A, B, and C @ Positions Q+X, R+X, and S+X", where X is however many horizontal pixels needed to reposition the layered images in the new widescreen background? The relative positions of the individual components of the layered images to one another should be unchanged, as should be the animation timings.

My apologies if it's more complex than that, but I'd imagine it'd be a horribly unwieldy system to implement if you couldn't effectively reuse or manipulate an existing layered image without too much effort.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
I haven't, but I'm guessing it works something like "Images A, B, and C @ Positions Q, R, and S"? So character body, head, mouth flaps, etc. are placed appropriately on top one another and then faded or reappeared at certain timings based on the scene. Shouldn't implementing the new posing of scenes that have been done once already be as simple as "Images A, B, and C @ Positions Q+X, R+X, and S+X", where X is however many horizontal pixels needed to reposition the layered images in the new widescreen background? The relative positions of the individual components of the layered images to one another should be unchanged, as should be the animation timings.

My apologies if it's more complex than that, but I'd imagine it'd be a horribly unwieldy system to implement if you couldn't effectively reuse or manipulate an existing layered image without too much effort.
Gotta wonder why they needed 2 new posers and the code hasn't moved in 5 months if it was easy to do ....... Either of 3 options :

#1 - Renpy is hot garbage and is a coding nightmare
#2 - Poser(s) and coder are hot garbage and need to re-plan their lives
#3 - A mix of everything and some other unknown factors (like DC himself being hot garbage and a pro-milker)

So much choices, so little info

Reactions: Konius and tankdick

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
It looks like DC adjusts/renames quite a few of the assets while he checks them and corrects whatever isn't to his liking/standard. That's likely why simple copy and paste jobs aren't possible for the most part. Today's stream was actually a pretty decent example of that... for those who want to rewatch it.

In case anybody cares: At some point we'll probably get a witch in her late 20s or so (wearing a black dress with silver hair, at least if stray gets his will) in the new forest location and possibly a (were)wolf-girl that - I guess - would be somehow connected to her.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018

As I said, it's quite easy to *use* a layered image in a dialog or scene, once the layered image has been correctly defined. The difficulty is to define the image so that it can be used. If not done properly, you end up with a girl having no face or no arms in the best case, or a Ren'Py exception in the worst, depending on what she is to wear, what time it is, or if she is pregnant or not.
To make it worse, the layered image has a context, i.e. it depends on what other image has been shown in the same scene before. A very simple example would be (something like that really is in the game):
Code:
show diane b_magic f_happy a_hips
which would show Diane, being happy, with her arms on her hips. But that is supposed to work regardless of what she wears (naked, cow outfit, overall, dress...), if she sits or stands, if she is pregnant or not, or even if she is covered in some body fluids or not, not to mention if she is currently being silent or talking. To make it work, it has to be put some effort in *defining* that image in the first place, after all the assets are being drawn by DC. Therefore, the naming of her body "b_magic" is not an exaggeration at all ;)
It looks like DC adjusts/renames quite a few of the assets while he checks them and corrects whatever isn't to his liking/standard. That's likely why simple copy and paste jobs aren't possible for the most part. Today's stream was actually a pretty decent example of that... for those who want to rewatch it.

In case anybody cares: At some point we'll probably get a witch in her late 20s or so (wearing a black dress with silver hair, at least if stray gets his will) in the new forest location and possibly a (were)wolf-girl that - I guess - would be somehow connected to her.
I hope you are refering to old assets (before introduction of the layered images). If he now starts to rename everything after the Jenny update, that would be the end of it...

Reactions: robbiej691

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
As I said, it's quite easy to *use* a layered image in a dialog or scene, once the layered image has been correctly defined. The difficulty is to define the image so that it can be used. If not done properly, you end up with a girl having no face or no arms in the best case, or a Ren'Py exception in the worst, depending on what she is to wear, what time it is, or if she is pregnant or not.
To make it worse, the layered image has a context, i.e. it depends on what other image has been shown in the same scene before. A very simple example would be (something like that really is in the game):
Code:
show diane b_magic f_happy a_hips
which would show Diane, being happy, with her arms on her hips. But that is supposed to work regardless of what she wears (naked, cow outfit, overall, dress...), if she sits or stands, if she is pregnant or not, or even if she is covered in some body fluids or not, not to mention if she is currently being silent or talking. To make it work, it has to be put some effort in *defining* that image in the first place, after all the assets are being drawn by DC. Therefore, the naming of her body "b_magic" is not an exaggeration at all ;)

I hope you are refering to old assets (before introduction of the layered images). If he now starts to rename everything after the Jenny update, that would be the end of it...
After the naked stream, nothing can surprise us anymore

Viressa

May 24, 2018
Yesssss more goth onee-samas

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
Gotta wonder why they needed 2 new posers and the code hasn't moved in 5 months if it was easy to do ....... Either of 3 options :

#1 - Renpy is hot garbage and is a coding nightmare
#2 - Poser(s) and coder are hot garbage and need to re-plan their lives
#3 - A mix of everything and some other unknown factors (like DC himself being hot garbage and a pro-milker)

So much choices, so little info
It's not #1. I've read almost every script file in this game, and I've had to read most of the Ren'Py documentation. I have, at various times in my career, developed applications in ten different programming languages and eight scripting languages. I've also modded games in QSP and Ren'Py. With good code, Ren'Py is a very capable platform, based on a language that was designed to prevent coding nightmares (Python).

The quality of the code in Summertime Saga is inconsistent. The way things are done has clearly changed several times. The newer code is much better than the older code.

I have no insight into #2 and 3.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
It's not #1. I've read almost every script file in this game, and I've had to read most of the Ren'Py documentation. I have, at various times in my career, developed applications in ten different programming languages and eight scripting languages. I've also modded games in QSP and Ren'Py. With good code, Ren'Py is a very capable platform, based on a language that was designed to prevent coding nightmares (Python).

The quality of the code in Summertime Saga is inconsistent. The way things are done has clearly changed several times. The newer code is much better than the older code.

I have no insight into #2 and 3.
We are on the 4th coder (5th if you count DC's early attempt), that would explain the mess that is Summertime code

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I'm afraid not. Yesterday for example he did sort/rearrange all of the pregnant girls in the hospital's children's ward, so they are 100% consistent across the board. Though I have no idea whether that was a special case or not. I'd guess that most assests won't be as much work.

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
i for one am looking forward to milking veronica in the barn. i'm really looking forward to seeing the story explanation for it. "hey veronica you want to give up your regular job and just get your tits milked daily in a barn together with a human/cow hybrid and my crazy aunt who blew up her house to do the same?"

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
i for one am looking forward to milking veronica in the barn. i'm really looking forward to seeing the story explanation for it.
I guess in her case it'll probably be an evening/night thing - after all her character is actually needed in the mall. I mean, in Diane's story she seems to be pretty naughty, so I don't really believe it's going to be much of an issue to convince her.

mightybored

Jul 5, 2021
I guess in her case it'll probably be an evening/night thing - after all her character is actually needed in the mall. I mean, in Diane's story she seems to be pretty naughty, so I don't really believe it's going to be much of an issue to convince her.
I wonder if it's going to taste slightly different; like wines from different vineyards.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes