srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
He's definitely mentioned before that a large portion of the player base is mobile, and with the aspect ratios of modern phones getting even wider (the Galaxy s20 clocks in at 20:9) the black bar problem has gotten even worse. Of course, this means that in two or three years he'll have to announce the move to ultra-widescreen since 16:9 will still have black bars on phones :ROFLMAO:

I'm a little curious where you live if you're playing on a 16:10 PC. I haven't owned a 16:10 monitor in over a decade, and I'd assumed they'd become an endangered species since I've only seen 16:9 or ultrawide monitors in US stores and online storefronts for years. Do you work mainly on a laptop? I do recall seeing an article recently that 16:10 is making a comeback there.
You're right, I just checked and I have a native 16:9 resolution. Thought otherwise, though...

Bob69

Uploading the World
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Mar 2, 2019
He's definitely mentioned before that a large portion of the player base is mobile, and with the aspect ratios of modern phones getting even wider (the Galaxy s20 clocks in at 20:9) the black bar problem has gotten even worse. Of course, this means that in two or three years he'll have to announce the move to ultra-widescreen since 16:9 will still have black bars on phones :ROFLMAO:

I'm a little curious where you live if you're playing on a 16:10 PC. I haven't owned a 16:10 monitor in over a decade, and I'd assumed they'd become an endangered species since I've only seen 16:9 or ultrawide monitors in US stores and online storefronts for years. Do you work mainly on a laptop? I do recall seeing an article recently that 16:10 is making a comeback there.
16:9 --> 20:9 is way easier then 4:3 -> 16:9. Because you just have to cut left and right. And when there is only background its not a problem, like when you have to cut of the top and bottom, I would guess.

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
16:9 --> 20:9 is way easier then 4:3 -> 16:9. Because you just have to cut left and right. And when there is only background its not a problem, like when you have to cut of the top and bottom, I would guess.
I was being facetious, I don't actually expect he'll do any more background conversions since he's doubtless used up all of his patrons' goodwill by taking over a year on this one. It does beg the question: why wasn't he drawing backgrounds in widescreen and chopping off the left and right sides to make them 4:3, like what they did for TV shows in the era before HDTV? DC was discussing a widescreen conversion for years (I vaguely remember him throwing out the idea on polls or streams in ~2018), so I'm surprised he didn't try to future-proof his work earlier. I know it's water under the bridge now, but I'm curious if he ever addressed it on stream at some point.

Reactions: Throwawayxyz

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
I was being facetious, I don't actually expect he'll do any more background conversions since he's doubtless used up all of his patrons' goodwill by taking over a year on this one. It does beg the question: why wasn't he drawing backgrounds in widescreen and chopping off the left and right sides to make them 4:3, like what they did for TV shows in the era before HDTV? DC was discussing a widescreen conversion for years (I vaguely remember him throwing out the idea on polls or streams in ~2018), so I'm surprised he didn't try to future-proof his work earlier. I know it's water under the bridge now, but I'm curious if he ever addressed it on stream at some point.
2 points :

#1 - It's been ~10 months, not "over a year"
#2 - DC draws in 4K and scales it down to fit the game. Would be fun to see the milkers switch out their moaning that the game is now 10GB per build cause DC kept the 4K pics

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
why wasn't he drawing backgrounds in widescreen and chopping off the left and right sides to make them 4:3, like what they did for TV shows in the era before HDTV? DC was discussing a widescreen conversion for years (I vaguely remember him throwing out the idea on polls or streams in ~2018), so I'm surprised he didn't try to future-proof his work earlier. I know it's water under the bridge now, but I'm curious if he ever addressed it on stream at some point.
I think he actually started drawing wider backgrounds back in 2020, but the answer why he didn't do it before is probably rather simple. Given that you have to balance a background so it works in 4:3 and 16:9 it's quite a bit more work (I still recall DC tinkering with the cemetery background, so it would look good in both versions) and he probably didn't think an update would actually happen, before he convinced himself that he wanted to do it. If you don't think that you'll ever use 16:9, there isn't a need to make an extra effort to create 16:9 assets.
I don't think DC himself was ever really happpy with 4:3, but up to some point I'd say his plan was to finish SS as it is and to do the next project properly. That very much changed in those last years and now SS is supposed to be "as good as it can be".

But as mentioned before, the problem with this tech update actually isn't the art. If he had stuck to his original plan to only add 5 to 8 scenes and to redo the backgrounds, I'm sure he would have finished the necessary art by the end of July/August last year. I guess I'll never understand why they didn't just hire the people they hired now right in the beginning.

I'm not giving DC any money so I don't really care what they do as long as they are working, but these two last years have certainly cost them a lot of good will and money.

Reactions: Throwawayxyz

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017

Not really
The game basically stagnated for the last 1,5 years (certainly since may 2020), when it could have grown a lot. It's not unreasonable to expect that DC would make a decent 6 figure number by now if they hadn't bungled/bloated the main story and if they had released the tech update on time. From a financial point of view 2020 and 2021 were really lost years.

Last edited:

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
There are a bunch of people thinking that they are not getting their money's worth on a free distribution site.
Why even answer the posts mentioning milk, saves, next update or lack there of? Sure would cut down of redundant posts/pages that are here.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
ITT: People looking the gift horse in the mouth. Gettin' it for free, but not gettin' it fast enough or not gettin' what they want ... for free.

And before one of the exceptions say they are patreons, whatever, WTF purpose is it to kvetch here - go kvetch on the patreon, discord, or wherever you have actual possible access with the development team? Bitching here advances nothing except to show you're a bitch.

Heycock

Jun 30, 2020
If complaining here is pointless then the opossite is pointless as well. Defending DC is as useless as complaining, yet, that never stop anyone of the guys who defend him, they keep doing it.

The premise is wrong, noone came here and argue couse they think it's going to change anything. Regardless of their position this is true for both sides. They do it couse they are bored or frustrated.

I understand how some people get angry with criticism and answer agresively but to use uselness as a form of discredit miss the point that internet forums are not made for usefull discussion and that their own interventions are from a practical perspective also a huge waste of time.

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
have you guys checked out dc's picarto recently? he's been drawing some house in the woods for the last couple streams, does anyone know if this is related to the rhonda update?

2xjj

Aug 5, 2016
have you guys checked out dc's picarto recently? he's been drawing some house in the woods for the last couple streams, does anyone know if this is related to the rhonda update?
It’s for the tech update or a hidden update involving witch and maybe Sasquatch.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes