j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Bad project management has plagued this game. But I also remember when the groupthink was "art is the bottleneck" and those of us pointing out out wasn't, it was project management, were shot down. This tech update has been a farce.
The tech update is indeed the first update were art wasn't the bottleneck. They simply missjudged the effort/time that was needed to recode and repose the game big time (or they did change their plans in the process, who knows?). But just because something is true now, doesn't mean it was true in the past. Art has been the bottleneck for years, which is why until now everybody but DC actually worked part time on the game. There was just no way that DC drawing assets could fully utilize a writer, coder and poser. That changed for now.
If you look at chestnut/magicnuts from WaL! it looks like one artist who creates decent assets technically just needs one other person to do everything else, as long as that person is actually the perfect fit.
Wasn't the whole game supposed to be recoded as well? So that there would be less bugs in the future and the technical work would go smoother if I remember right.
Yes, though I have no idea to which degree that's actually the case, but it does look like the changes will be quite significant. DC actually wanted to change the whole UI, too, but it seems that has been postponed for now.

Last edited:

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
i think those milkposts are fucking stupid but a discussion about if the tech update was really necessary is valid. are people really going to bust better nuts because the backgrounds are 16:9 instead of 4:3 now? even if it improves the overall visual quality of the game, will the 1 year development time or whatever it's going to be at the end really be worth it at the end?

is dc wasting too much time drawing more and more detailed backgrounds? are there more economical ways to use already existing assets and focus on what's really important, you know the girls and the h-scenes? i know complaining about it won't change a thing but nothing we talk about here changes anything so please don't get pissed at me omnikuken
The bigger part of the update aside the 16:9 background was always recoding the entire game from the ground up (or close enough). That's what was needed and what DC polled the 1st time. We also wouldn't have got any lewds in-between, he just made them so that people would get something to do while they recoded. I'm not mad at you, at least you managed post stuff without going the fulltard way like the rest of the thread
The tech update is indeed the first update were art wasn't the bottleneck. They simply missjudged the effort/time that was needed to recode and repose the game big time (or they did change their plans in the process, who knows?). But just because something is true now, doesn't mean it was true in the past. Art has been the bottleneck for years, which is why until now everybody but DC actually worked part time on the game. There was just no way that DC drawing assets could fully utilize a writer, coder and poser. That changed for now.
If you look at chestnut/magicnuts from WaL! it looks like one artist who creates decent assets technically just needs one other person to do everything else, as long as that person is actually the perfect fit.

Yes, though I have no idea to which degree that's actually the case, but it does look like the changes will be quite significant. DC actually wanted to change the whole UI, too, but it seems that has been postponed for now.
What a Legend is made by a couple, they can't really half-ass themselves when the other dev is your spouse (or whatever if they're not married). Maybe they split the tasks more evenly than 1 for art and 1 for everything else.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
What a Legend is made by a couple, they can't really half-ass themselves when the other dev is your spouse (or whatever if they're not married). Maybe they split the tasks more evenly than 1 for art and 1 for everything else.
As far as I'm aware chestnut draws and magicnuts indeed does basically everything else. They actually tried to hire a sketch artist some time ago, but it looks like that didn't help them as much as they may have hoped.
Ultimately they simply face the same issue as SS. One person drawing fulltime just can't produce enough (quality) art to release more than 2 or 3 decent-sized updates a year.

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
I only noticed for the first time that DC's site has an "Unannounced Project" mentioned alongside SS.

Has the dev ever given any hints or indications what this project is, perhaps on stream?

exirock

Game Developer
May 4, 2018
Im going to be really honest not having content for a good while it kinda sucks, i think tec update which so far i only see backgrounds, they could have been made little by little into the other updates, understandable that some of the players are mobile users but this tec update is going for long time now, is delaying the game progress for about year, although they managed to drop a few animations which was good but its not considerably enough for most people that kinda want to see content progression, i know in fact this is a must need for later on when the game is complete but i would say this could have been done after roxxy update and wouldnt be that much of a pain in the ass now since after roxxy alot of art has been done, lets hope the tec update ends this year fast has possible since we gotta wait extra 6-7 months for the new content, i understand both side this tec update is must need but also is a creator of hate since the game is pretty much onhold from content for a few months now.

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
There's a thing called Hofstadter's Law, which is: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

I can't tell you how many times I've started a long-overdue code rewrite and had it take 10 times longer than I expected, and prevented me from giving new content to my users until it was done. It's hard to assure people that you're doing valuable work that they can't see.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
I only noticed for the first time that DC's site has an "Unannounced Project" mentioned alongside SS.

Has the dev ever given any hints or indications what this project is, perhaps on stream?
Nope, it's been there pretty much from day 1 and nothing is known about it. Probably DC thought he'd be done with SS years ago and moved on to other stuff, but then people started to throw massive $ at him and he went "welp, might as well keep going" and didn't bother changing the Patreon thingy
Im going to be really honest not having content for a good while it kinda sucks, i think tec update which so far i only see backgrounds, they could have been made little by little into the other updates, understandable that some of the players are mobile users but this tec update is going for long time now, is delaying the game progress for about year, although they managed to drop a few animations which was good but its not considerably enough for most people that kinda want to see content progression, i know in fact this is a must need for later on when the game is complete but i would say this could have been done after roxxy update and wouldnt be that much of a pain in the ass now since after roxxy alot of art has been done, lets hope the tec update ends this year fast has possible since we gotta wait extra 6-7 months for the new content, i understand both side this tec update is must need but also is a creator of hate since the game is pretty much onhold from content for a few months now.
Aside the extreme Engrish, we got ~12 scenes in 10 months, more than many "real" updates, so whining we get nothing is pretty fail. The tech update was needed since before Erik's route when you had to pray RNGesus liked you enough to not fuck your save game every new build. They did kinda fix that along the years but the code was and still is hot garbage. You'll have to deal with it : either they do a massive overhaul now or the game fucks itself every update cause the base is wonky at best. What they did wrong is presume they'd be done within months and hype up the release last year, but that's nothing new
There's a thing called Hofstadter's Law, which is: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

I can't tell you how many times I've started a long-overdue code rewrite and had it take 10 times longer than I expected, and prevented me from giving new content to my users until it was done. It's hard to assure people that you're doing valuable work that they can't see.
Thing is : you can actually see what they're doing with SS. You can get a giantass tracker with everything listed in details when you Patron DC (10$+ might be a bit harsh though) and the Discord has the devs talking about it almost daily. Every1 in here crying without doing much doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (aka people that support and actually get stuff in exchange)

• Angry
Reactions: exirock

boss00718

Sep 26, 2017
Hi,i already download the game on android and extract it now i dont know how to start the game i dont see any icon i saw only folder how to play that game?

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Hi,i already download the game on android and extract it now i dont know how to start the game i dont see any icon i saw only folder how to play that game?
All OP links download .apk files. You don't extract those, you install the .apk directly

tankdick

Dec 21, 2017
i think those milkposts are fucking stupid but a discussion about if the tech update was really necessary is valid. are people really going to bust better nuts because the backgrounds are 16:9 instead of 4:3 now? even if it improves the overall visual quality of the game, will the 1 year development time or whatever it's going to be at the end really be worth it at the end?

is dc wasting too much time drawing more and more detailed backgrounds? are there more economical ways to use already existing assets and focus on what's really important, you know the girls and the h-scenes? i know complaining about it won't change a thing but nothing we talk about here changes anything so please don't get pissed at me omnikuken
DC could have outsourced the background art and code improvement could be done concurrently/independently with updates to the girls. This tech update was a massive waste of time that could have been put into advancing characters.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
DC could have outsourced the background art and code improvement could be done concurrently/independently with updates to the girls. This tech update was a massive waste of time that could have been put into advancing characters.
Well no but no. DC's never gonna outsource art/backgrounds and what do you think the coder's been doing the last ~10 months ? Pro tip : it's not twiddling his ass

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
The 16:9 is really meant to be for those who play on mobile, which by now, as far as I recall, seem to be the majority of "official players" who download the game from DC's sources.
Well I would certainly like to know if that's true, mobile players being the majority. If that's so, I live in a totally different world because hell would freeze sooner than I began playing on mobile regularly.

On the other hand, PC players play mostly on 16:10 devices, so for them the migration from 4:3 towards 16:9 would mean replacing two black bars on the left an right of the screen with two black bars on top and bottom. Not what I think would be received very well...

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Well I would certainly like to know if that's true, mobile players being the majority. If that's so, I live in a totally different world because hell would freeze sooner than I began playing on mobile regularly.
The game is hugely popular in south east asia and many younger people I know don't even really own PCs anymore, but only use mobile devices for whatever they do. As far as I recall DC mentioned it quite some time ago, but I really don't doubt it, though I'm not 100% sure. In my opinion the F95 community here certainly isn't representative of SS playerbase as a whole.

On the other hand, PC players play mostly on 16:10 devices, so for them the migration from 4:3 towards 16:9 would mean replacing two black bars on the left an right of the screen with two black bars on top and bottom. Not what I think would be received very well...
As said, on mobile the two massive black bars are a real nuisance, while most of the PC players probably won't care that much where their bars are. I'm not even sure how many people actually play fullscreen on PC in the first place, I sure know that I don't.

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017

He's definitely mentioned before that a large portion of the player base is mobile, and with the aspect ratios of modern phones getting even wider (the Galaxy s20 clocks in at 20:9) the black bar problem has gotten even worse. Of course, this means that in two or three years he'll have to announce the move to ultra-widescreen since 16:9 will still have black bars on phones :ROFLMAO:

I'm a little curious where you live if you're playing on a 16:10 PC. I haven't owned a 16:10 monitor in over a decade, and I'd assumed they'd become an endangered species since I've only seen 16:9 or ultrawide monitors in US stores and online storefronts for years. Do you work mainly on a laptop? I do recall seeing an article recently that 16:10 is making a comeback there.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes