dkatryl

May 26, 2018
Why not use the phone version instead of a wonky emulator to play the PC version ? Then you wonder why your phone melts itself having to fumble around both the emulator and a version not made for it .....
Im not sure if stuff just gets lost in translation or what, but im not just asking "why does it take so long on my phone?" If i was only asking that, then i'd say sure, 6yo phone, and all that.

I am asking "why does it take so long on my phone *compared to every other game that i play via Joiplay*" (i use Joiplay because i dont like to have to rely on someone to make android ports using the compressed versions, plus you can freely add mods, such as gallery mods.)

For instance, i launched What a Legend for comparison, as that is also a fully hand drawn game, and is going to be more similar than a random Daz game.

It took 45sec, which is about average for most other renpy games for me.

Now, i can already hear the "oh, but SS has so much more content than WaL because it's been in development for so much longer." True. However, 45s vs 11.5minutes. That's 15x longer.

Well, i just did a comparison of their folders.
WaL is 659MB, and has 13,931 files
SS is 547MB, and has 24,662 files

WaL is actually bigger overall, but SS has 1.77x more files, so not quite twice as many. So, i could see twice as long, maybe even three times as long, due to number of files. But FIFTEEN times longer to load?

People can blame my older phone for being slow, sure, but ignoring that relative speed compared to a similar game is just being willfully ignorant.

But all that is besides the point, which is just hoping the current code project will address the launch time to be more in line with other renpy games.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Weird the main exe not working for you, I downloaded it again and I had no problems with it.
I used the Mega link if that matters
Maybe, I used the anonfile one don't have an account set up on mega usually when I try and DL files over 1gb there it wants me to set one up , could have to do with the fact I am still running W7 Pro also have not closed the game now that I have it running and tried again the two exe's are slightly different size don't know if that matters either. All I know is so far everything works.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Than Screw you DC!!!
GJ being about 4 years late to the hate-train
Im not sure if stuff just gets lost in translation or what, but im not just asking "why does it take so long on my phone?" If i was only asking that, then i'd say sure, 6yo phone, and all that.

I am asking "why does it take so long on my phone *compared to every other game that i play via Joiplay*" (i use Joiplay because i dont like to have to rely on someone to make android ports using the compressed versions, plus you can freely add mods, such as gallery mods.)

For instance, i launched What a Legend for comparison, as that is also a fully hand drawn game, and is going to be more similar than a random Daz game.

It took 45sec, which is about average for most other renpy games for me.

Now, i can already hear the "oh, but SS has so much more content than WaL because it's been in development for so much longer." True. However, 45s vs 11.5minutes. That's 15x longer.

Well, i just did a comparison of their folders.
WaL is 659MB, and has 13,931 files
SS is 547MB, and has 24,662 files

WaL is actually bigger overall, but SS has 1.77x more files, so not quite twice as many. So, i could see twice as long, maybe even three times as long, due to number of files. But FIFTEEN times longer to load?

People can blame my older phone for being slow, sure, but ignoring that relative speed compared to a similar game is just being willfully ignorant.

But all that is besides the point, which is just hoping the current code project will address the launch time to be more in line with other renpy games.
Dunno what files you got but Summertime is over 1GB and WaL is over 2GB. Maybe not using the compressed could help. And you also missed the last 3 pages explaining in details why Summertime can take longer, especially on lower-end hardware. Coding games in Renpy doesn't mean they'll all behave the same either. WaL uses image files already split in body parts and whatnot while Summertime has to de-archive the entire game everytime you start it (talking about PC master race, your wonky compressed phone app doesn't apply to normal behavior). At least now you know your phone blows and you should get a newer 1 or get a PC to play the game, it won't solve itself (probably not even the tech build, since it's mostly aimed at wider screen, not boost archaic hardware load times)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Maybe, I used the anonfile one don't have an account set up on mega usually when I try and DL files over 1gb there it wants me to set one up , could have to do with the fact I am still running W7 Pro also have not closed the game now that I have it running and tried again the two exe's are slightly different size don't know if that matters either. All I know is so far everything works.
Oh, you downloaded from anonfile? Yeah, you gotta be VERY careful downloading there (making sure you only download a RAR or ZIP, not an ISO, etc). Hope your system is ok.

Reactions: APoc1

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Oh, you downloaded from anonfile? Yeah, you gotta be VERY careful downloading there (making sure you only download a RAR or ZIP, not an ISO, etc). Hope your system is ok.

Seems fine, I got the zip file. The sumertimesaga.exe in the Lib/windows-i686 folder opens the game and everything plays did not go past sleeping on day 0 though. Went back and tried the other exe in the main folder same thing, the loading splash screen flashes and in task manager it pops up and disappears in a flash can't even read it it is so fast. Could just be that one file is corrupt I would assume its purpose is to determine if you are on windows or linux hence why the other exe works , the first one in the main folder would just point to the other in whatever respective folder it needs to after figuring out what platform you are on. If I am wrong I would appreciate someone letting me know.

Reactions: Count Morado

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Seems fine, I got the zip file. The sumertimesaga.exe in the Lib/windows-i686 folder opens the game and everything plays did not go past sleeping on day 0 though. Went back and tried the other exe in the main folder same thing, the loading splash screen flashes and in task manager it pops up and disappears in a flash can't even read it it is so fast. Could just be that one file is corrupt I would assume its purpose is to determine if you are on windows or linux hence why the other exe works , the first one in the main folder would just point to the other in whatever respective folder it needs to after figuring out what platform you are on. If I am wrong I would appreciate someone letting me know.
You download the official archive from the official web site, extract it, and click the exe in the main folder. If that does not work, it's on your side. Maybe try another folder with a shorter path name, there might be an issue with windows limited path name length.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
You download the official archive from the official web site, extract it, and click the exe in the main folder. If that does not work, it's on your side. Maybe try another folder with a shorter path name, there might be an issue with windows limited path name length.

Thanks for the reply , its only 18 characters long don't think it is character length. I will just re down load the whole game.

The second exe in the i686 folder opens the game and it plays just fine. I am really curious though if the second one opens and plays the game then what does the first one do?

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Thanks for the reply , its only 18 characters long don't think it is character length. I will just re down load the whole game.

The second exe in the i686 folder opens the game and it plays just fine. I am really curious though if the second one opens and plays the game then what does the first one do?
Dunno about anything you posted in the last 3 pages, but it might have to do with x64 and x86 being 2 separate .exe's. They both do the same but aren't the same thing. Maybe the lib 1 does something random and the "normal" 1 does something else random, and your PC hates itself for whatever reason. Many randos in the thread claim the same thing : the .exe just blinks itself into reality and then dies faster than you can type milker

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Dunno about anything you posted in the last 3 pages, but it might have to do with x64 and x86 being 2 separate .exe's. They both do the same but aren't the same thing. Maybe the lib 1 does something random and the "normal" 1 does something else random, and your PC hates itself for whatever reason. Many randos in the thread claim the same thing : the .exe just blinks itself into reality and then dies faster than you can type milker

Okay well then I kind of think re-Dling is probably a waste of time then. Was just wondering if any of the guys that know programming could answer. As far as my computer hating itself that very well could be, it is W7 pro so yeah old now. coupled with 4th gen CPU (not a bad one though) I am bound to keep having random issues the longer in the tooth this system gets. Just kind of hate Micro sloft these days so I passed on W10. But I don't want to go back to Linux either and Mac , LOL yeah sorry to the apple folks but you can keep it. :KEK:

john1230

Oct 6, 2020
Okay well then I kind of think re-Dling is probably a waste of time then. Was just wondering if any of the guys that know programming could answer. As far as my computer hating itself that very well could be, it is W7 pro so yeah old now. coupled with 4th gen CPU (not a bad one though) I am bound to keep having random issues the longer in the tooth this system gets. Just kind of hate Micro sloft these days so I passed on W10. But I don't want to go back to Linux either and Mac , LOL yeah sorry to the apple folks but you can keep it. :KEK:
The game runs fine for me using a 4th gen i7 with a Nvidia Quadro K5000M on Windows 7 Pro, so if I was you I'd re-install Windows 7 and get a fresh start. You shouldn't need to activate Windows if you have a named brand PC (HP/Dell being the bigger brands) that came with Windows 7/8.

You probably should have mentioned that earlier...
Windows version shouldn't matter, it's probably his Windows system needing a fresh start.

That's probably the worst advice I've read the last five years... No kidding. Nobody supports Win 7 any more. All problems are just on your side.

And: "Re-install Windows" (any version) just to solve a problem with one single app makes it no better advice.
I would defend my advice but you're helping APoc1, so I'm not going to interrupt.

Last edited:

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
re-install Windows 7
That's probably the worst advice I've read the last five years... No kidding. Nobody supports Win 7 any more. All problems are just on your side.

And: "Re-install Windows" (any version) just to solve a problem with one single app makes it no better advice.

Reactions: Snugglepuff

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
You probably should have mentioned that earlier...

I actually did up towards the top of the page. I am running in 64bit mode though. But yeah old. Well I never really implied it was an issue with the game I was more interested if anyone knew what the difference was between the two exe's I had already figured out a work around. Also I am sure I am not the only person in the world playing this game on an old OS.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
The game runs fine for me using a 4th gen i7 with a Nvidia Quadro K5000M on Windows 7 Pro, so if I was you I'd re-install Windows 7 and get a fresh start. You shouldn't need to activate Windows if you have a named brand PC (HP/Dell being the bigger brands) that came with Windows 7/8.

Windows version shouldn't matter, it's probably his Windows system needing a fresh start.

Yeah not going to do that , I have no other issues with this machine , this is the first time I have had any issues with a renpy game(or any game for that matter). It seems to be the way that particular exe is written being the other one works fine. I suspect but wanted confirmation , that the exe in the main folder only determines which OS you are running and then points to one of the two OS folders in the Lib folder either Linux or Windows they do not operate in the same way they have totally different Kernels and so the exe's in those folders are specific to the OS in question. All the configurations for graphics and the rest is handled by the second exe. At least that is what it looks like to me.
At this point if that question can't be answered it is not really a big deal just curious , I am playing the game and seems to be working just fine.

So called refreshing the OS unless you have had your boot table wiped out is probably a waste of time in most cases especially with a non supported OS because getting everything updated again is a major pain in the ass not to mention re installing all your programs...
But thanks for trying to help anyway.

Oh and I built this system my self have never bought a name brand system. Building systems is actually pretty easy at least it was in the olden days.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Might wanna try the Discord or pester him in a stream. Might get a more technical reply. Or get banned. 50/50
Its just not necessary , at this point the game plays and saves .... I try to avoid Ban hammers unless I really have an important question. Beside just think I took up a page that can't be used for milkers , so I did you all favor :giggle:
Thanks for all the reply's I consider this issue solved.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Yeah not going to do that , I have no other issues with this machine , this is the first time I have had any issues with a renpy game(or any game for that matter). It seems to be the way that particular exe is written being the other one works fine. I suspect but wanted confirmation , that the exe in the main folder only determines which OS you are running and then points to one of the two OS folders in the Lib folder either Linux or Windows they do not operate in the same way they have totally different Kernels and so the exe's in those folders are specific to the OS in question. All the configurations for graphics and the rest is handled by the second exe. At least that is what it looks like to me.
At this point if that question can't be answered it is not really a big deal just curious , I am playing the game and seems to be working just fine.

So called refreshing the OS unless you have had your boot table wiped out is probably a waste of time in most cases especially with a non supported OS because getting everything updated again is a major pain in the ass not to mention re installing all your programs...
But thanks for trying to help anyway.

Oh and I built this system my self have never bought a name brand system. Building systems is actually pretty easy at least it was in the olden days.
The first exe calls the second one (you are running), that's for sure. If you for example apply the 4GB patch for 32bit executables from NTCore to overcome memory issues, it must be applied to the second one to become effective. I did that, therefore I know. However, I don't know why there is a two exe approach. I read somewhere that it might be related to the splash sceeen, the first exe just displaying that before starting the second one. But you also see the splash screen when starting the second one directly, so idk.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
The first exe calls the second one (you are running), that's for sure. If you for example apply the 4GB patch for 32bit executables from NTCore to overcome memory issues, it must be applied to the second one to become effective. I did that, therefore I know. However, I don't know why there is a two exe approach. I read somewhere that it might be related to the splash sceeen, the first exe just displaying that before starting the second one.
Don't think that is it the second exe also displays the splash screen. Although they could switch in a frame and you would never know the difference. At some point the exe has to pick a folder to start pulling the program out of so I suspect it looks at the kernel for the OS and then picks the correct folder. It may be that my environmental variables are as such that the exe does not recognize my OS. The actual program can run on W7 with out issue is due to W7 -W10 all having compatible kernels so the instruction sets will work with each build , I have not read up on W11 yet and it is starting to hit the testers due for release in Oct I think. Guessing it will still be compatible but who knows. Evryone is going to be pissed though because MS is saying that anything below an I7 cpu will not be totally supported now they have walked that back a little and are going to offer some support to lower(I5 and I6) models but they will not let you get the auto updates for those. Not only that but they are going to require secure boot and another instruction set that a shit ton of MB's don't support in those I5's and I6's , supposedly though you can still manage to install even on the I4's but the security will be totally borked from the start and MS will not be responsible...

You want to talk about the ultimate milkers just look at Micro Soft they invented that shit :D

Last edited:

twichman

Dec 4, 2018
I have verified that both of these .exe files are 32-bit. The file in the "lib" folder is most likely the developer's executable file, therefore it has large access rights and launches the dude's game without problems. The executable file from the main folder of the game does not have such access and is blocked either by a firewall or an antivirus program.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes