Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
It's not impossible, it could just be one giant blocker that's holding up everything else downstream on the programming side. It's also possible-albeit unlikely-that the game gets to the bugfix stage and a bug crops up that basically requires everything up to this point to be re-written.

Either way, for the would-be developers sitting at home, this long Tech Update should be taken as a pretty solid warning of the risks involved when deciding to make massive structural changes to a project far into development. It's clear that, thus far, the accrued goodwill towards the project hasn't evaporated, but it does leave one wondering how long that will last.
You missed the ~4 other coders who clusterfucked the code for 5+ years. And that DC himself "coded" for the better part of 4-5 early builds, thus requiring our current part-timer to unfuck all that alone and keep DC away from anything not art

volumina-90

Oct 14, 2021
If making really long updates is their way to milk patreons as long as they can, then let me say that's probably the worst strategy to do it anyway, here's why.

The game can't be finished, that's a fact you have almost endless possibilities and ideas to make, tons of character to develop and new to create. There are so much possibilities that making it slower is not even worth as it just kills the game slowly but surely.

There's still so much content to make and update, that DC would still have 4-5 years to at least do them without having to make slow ass updates every 1 year. The game has so much content potential that it doesn't make sense to make things slower on purpose. So either there's some internal issue that we don't know much about that makes the update release long or DC chooses the worst possible strategy for his incomes.

Bleemborg

Apr 18, 2017
Actually, the strategy of doing as little as possible as long as the people pays ain't that bad. One day he'll lose the patreon subscribers, but as long as he doesn't spend the money in stuff, it's alright.

Last edited:

Devronman

Nov 25, 2018
Code being the most extensive job here is kind of confusing. From my experience with code the sort of stuff they're doing isn't super taxing (though its been years since I tried my hand at it). Usually art is what takes the longest time to iron out all the wrinkles.

Posing however I totally get why that's a problem. One of the biggest time sinks on our last few projects.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
Code being the most extensive job here is kind of confusing. From my experience with code the sort of stuff they're doing isn't super taxing (though its been years since I tried my hand at it). Usually art is what takes the longest time to iron out all the wrinkles.

Posing however I totally get why that's a problem. One of the biggest time sinks on our last few projects.
Maybe they are trying something completely new, something that's more difficult to code, we might be in for a big surprise, maybe it will be a complete overhaul.

saibakira

Apr 3, 2020
Lol, we've been around 65% for about 5+ months, no way they do ~30% in less than 1. Go back a few hundred pages to the "leaks" showing we should get at least 1 more lewd batch (probably 2), the latest release was 1.5 month ago and we usually get an update every 4 months. Do the math and retry
Looking at the progress table you can clearly see that art and posing are the longest bits to do, maybe the rest is easier to get it done...

That's why I said maybe only 1 month left of work. Coding shouldn't be that long and since art and posing are basically done I'm positive about it.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Actually, the strategy of doing as little as possible as long as the people pays ain't that bad. One day he'll lose the patreon subscribers, but as long as he doesn't spend the money in stuff, it's alright.
People have been moaning that since day 1, it keeps going up since then. Empty point failed

Take 4-5 dudes coding junk on top of each other for years, then get a 6th new dude and ask him to take all that and start from scratch, then pile on all the new 16:9 backgrounds/new locations/every scene re-posed/add future-proof stuff to help later builds and then make him do that part time
Looking at the progress table you can clearly see that art and posing are the longest bits to do, maybe the rest is easier to get it done...

That's why I said maybe only 1 month left of work. Coding shouldn't be that long and since art and posing are basically done I'm positive about it.
Guess you missed the last 5+ years of dev time : art is longest but always 1st thing done. 2nd point in quote : aside mini-updates (like Daisy) nothing ever happened in ~2 months, you being positive it'll only take 1 more month when everything else is at least 4 doesn't make it reality. Also lol at "coding shouldn't be that long" : it's only been more than a year and it's not even 50%, good job thinking it'll achieve the other half in a month

dkatryl

May 26, 2018
All i know is i hope that after the code is updated, it doesnt take 10+ min to launch in Joiplay. (The last time took 11 and a half minutes.)

This is by far the slowest launching renpy game ive played, and i suspect it is all due to under the hood issues.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
All i know is i hope that after the code is updated, it doesnt take 10+ min to launch in Joiplay. (The last time took 11 and a half minutes.)

This is by far the slowest launching renpy game ive played, and i suspect it is all due to under the hood issues.
It's not just Joiplay that is slow to launch, seems to take about 5 mins to launch on PC, I was blaming Naughty tribute, because I assume it was doing something to the gallery of images, but Last update I play without it ffor a little while and it was still slow to load.

I have no idea why, can anyone shed light on this?

twichman

Dec 4, 2018
It's not just Joiplay that is slow to launch, seems to take about 5 mins to launch on PC, I was blaming Naughty tribute, because I assume it was doing something to the gallery of images, but Last update I play without it ffor a little while and it was still slow to load.

I have no idea why, can anyone shed light on this?
It's simple. There are a lot of objects in the game archive file that must be loaded into memory before the game starts. Moreover, the weaker the computer hardware, the more time it takes.

Reactions: Count Morado

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
It's simple. There are a lot of objects in the game archive file that must be loaded into memory before the game starts. Moreover, the weaker the computer hardware, the more time it takes.
I guess the other games I play must be light weight, but even compared to AAA games like Cyberpunk, this feels slow.
But nevermind, it is what it is.

twichman

Dec 4, 2018
I guess the other games I play must be light weight, but even compared to AAA games like Cyberpunk, this feels slow.
Unlike most Renpy games where images and videos are pre-made, there are many overlays that are compiled each time to create images and animations.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
^ All the loadings above : you got over 1GB of image parts to load at once when you 1st start instead of partial loading and waiting for it everytime you swap around scenes. Would you prefer waiting 2-3 mins (lolphones can go die) once when you load and get everything almost instant in-game or load faster on launch but wait ~20-30 seconds between every image variations cause the game has to go decrypt the rpa and look for that specific image combo ?

hey ppl! does anyone know where to find LOCKER MASTER KEY ?
ty for the help đ :) :)
Aside the game telling you where to look, this isn't the walkthrough thread. You'd get deleted if the mods were doing their basic job

Last edited:

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Startup time depends on various things, first of all your hardware. Some figures:
  • Windows 10 on i7-3770K@4GHz, 16GB Ram, 2TB SSD
  • Game with Naughty Tribute plus optional content and German translation pack
    • Several minutes of first start of the newly installed game and mods, may crash on first try and be started again until everything is compiled
    • 50 seconds for the first start after fresh boot of the PC
    • 40 seconds for any start thereafter
On a Samsung Galaxy S20 it takes about 90 to 120 seconds to start the modded game.

As you see, it's not super fast, but it certainly does not take five minutes, never.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
40 seconds for any start thereafter
My gerbils need more caffeine: 70 seconds is my performance for a 9 year old i7-3770@3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD
I agree that five minutes does seem hyperbole for a computer on which a person can play Cyberpunk (my graphics card is about a year too old)

EDIT: after closing other programs (though leaving 2 instances of Chrome up, as well as Task Manager), 33 seconds. YMMV

Last edited:

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
You dudes realise having a good CPU does nothing when you gotta load stuff from your disk ? Only thing that'll speed things up is your access time (aka SSD) ..... Being able to play a 3D game that only loads pre-made textures to your GPU means nothing

Reactions: Stil996
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes