Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
My gerbils need more caffeine: 70 seconds is my performance for a 9 year old i7-3770@3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD
I agree that five minutes does seem hyperbole for a computer on which a person can play Cyberpunk (my graphics card is about a year too old)
well
  1. I never said took 5mins I said it FELT like around 5 mins, I've never timed it.
  2. My CPU is a bit older than yours i7-2600, but I got 64GB Ram, and a relatively new GPU, (I got an i9-10850 sitting around somewhere too but the motherboard got fucked, hence the ram and GPU with my ancient CPU)
  3. No SSDs, I got 2 good old fashioned HDDs
So tell me more about my Hyperbole?

Edit:
I asked a simple question about why Summertime Saga took so long to load, which was answered by twichman & Omnikuken saying that there a large amount of data getting preloaded into memory.

Why is there now an accusatory vibe going around now? Like I'm attacking the game or something?

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
well
  1. I never said took 5mins I said it FELT like around 5 mins, I've never timed it.
  2. My CPU is a bit older than yours i7-2600, but I got 64GB Ram, and a relatively new GPU, (I got an i9-10850 sitting around somewhere too but the motherboard got fucked, hence the ram and GPU with my ancient CPU)

Edit:
I asked a simple question about why Summertime Saga took so long to load, which was answered by twichman & Omnikuken saying that there a large amount of data getting preloaded into memory.

Why is there now an accusatory vibe going around now? Like I'm attacking the game or something?
It's not that you attacked the game - it's that your observation lacked proper specificity. When people use generalizations in what appears to be a complaint on a game - it attracts both whiners looking for sympathy and kinship in misery, as well as those who want to make things clear so that such responses are quickly nipped in the bud.

And it "seems to take about 5 mins" is hyperbole, particularly in the way you framed your statement - not felt, but seems and that also increases the expression - and question that followed. It's an exaggeration meant for affect of raising the question of why something is the way it is. I love to use hyperbole in my essays and short stories.

It's obvious that with an older CPU and HDDs as a game gets larger and more complex, it will take longer and longer to load. Many players can also know relief in the fact that DC hasn't decided to use Ren'Py 7.4.X. A lot of players would be shitting bricks, no longer able to play the game with their older GPUs (which we see complaints about with more updated Ren'Py engine games).

twichman

Dec 4, 2018
well

Edit:

And now the most interesting:) My desktop is being repaired, and while waiting for parts from distant China, I use an 11 year old laptop. Here is its configuration: Pentium P6200 2x2.133 GHz with integrated graphics, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD:eek: Yesterday I specifically measured the SS loading time (with the Naughty Tribute mod installed), the result is 1 min 33 sec. Funny, right?

P.S. It was the time of the first boot the SS after turning on the laptop. The reload time after exiting the game is already only 68 sec.

Last edited:
Reactions: Count Morado

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
I would say the biggest factor for any game that needs to load a ton of shit into memory is the HDD (SSD not so much and issue but CPU or MB south bridge can change things even with SSD) With HDD's you can have multiple RPM's , different onboard cash(both of these can affect seek and read times) Your memory handler on the CPU can affect things as well. RAM speeds can also add time newer high memory graphics cards do better typically higher speed memory but typically this usually affects playing not as much in loading. I have an old I7-4770K with 32GB ram at XMP1600 with integrated graphics on the CPU (does have 2GB dedicated ram for GPU) 250 GB SSD hardly a hot rod by any modern means and I don't seem to have any issues running or loading any of the games I play from this site(sure playing any of the pro studio FPS and I have to turn the quality to low in the settings).

Forgot to add all this on an Asus Z87-PRO MB.

Last edited:

dkatryl

May 26, 2018
All this talk of hyperbole regarding start times, i literally started a stop watch before my previous post, so that i wasnt just pulling a "feels like" number out of my ass.

It took 11 and a half minutes to launch in Joiplay. And even once it was launched, it was very sluggish and laggy.

Now, i will accept that im running this on an older phone (Galaxy S7, for whatever it's worth), however *my* point is that compared to all other renpy games, many of which are just as big as this, if not bigger, this takes far longer to launch than anything else ive played. To the point i have to wonder if it will ever start or is going to crash.

That speaks to either a coding issue, how it's packaged, or something else under the hood. Which was the only thing i said. Hopefully, after they do yet another pass at the code, etc, it will improve launch times.

KiichiYakuza

Mar 2, 2022
All this talk of hyperbole regarding start times, i literally started a stop watch before my previous post, so that i wasnt just pulling a "feels like" number out of my ass.

It took 11 and a half minutes to launch in Joiplay. And even once it was launched, it was very sluggish and laggy.

Now, i will accept that im running this on an older phone (Galaxy S7, for whatever it's worth), however *my* point is that compared to all other renpy games, many of which are just as big as this, if not bigger, this takes far longer to launch than anything else ive played. To the point i have to wonder if it will ever start or is going to crash.

That speaks to either a coding issue, how it's packaged, or something else under the hood. Which was the only thing i said. Hopefully, after they do yet another pass at the code, etc, it will improve launch times.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
you mean one of the exact things they have been working on for more than a year that people are bitching about taking so long, the complete overhaul of the code? as well as the full game going to 16:9 for mobile users.

as for the performance on your 6 year old phone, I'm going to leave that to someone else

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018

Why not use the phone version instead of a wonky emulator to play the PC version ? Then you wonder why your phone melts itself having to fumble around both the emulator and a version not made for it .....
According to DC, that will never happen - she is involved with the Captain and he doesn't share.
According to DC, the real life dude who Terry is based on agreed to be in-game with his real girlfriend if nothing happened to her not involving him

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
You dudes realise having a good CPU does nothing when you gotta load stuff from your disk ? Only thing that'll speed things up is your access time (aka SSD) ..... Being able to play a 3D game that only loads pre-made textures to your GPU means nothing
Tell that to my PC. When I go to power settings and limit max CPU performance to 20%, I get a startup time of 100 secs instead of the 40 secs at 100%. I guess the CPU spends that additional time on thinking what to do in that unexpected situation ;)

Reactions: Count Morado

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
According to DC, the real life dude who Terry is based on agreed to be in-game with his real girlfriend if nothing happened to her not involving him
So when some modder decides to switch out the captain for the MC, what happens then?

ImTransAndTiny

May 1, 2020
So when some modder decides to switch out the captain for the MC, what happens then?
I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. I'm pretty sure that a gentlemen's agreement between DC and the anonymous inspiration for Terry isn't legally binding on anyone else. What other people do isn't DC's fault or liability.

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
Okay as I have said , I have not actually played the game yet , had been waiting on the tech update being this seems to be at least a year(s) away LOL.
So I DL'ed this version and went to start the game from the main exe in the main game folder and the splash screen blinked and nothing happened (waited 20+ minutes).
After that I was hunting around in the folders went into Lib found the windows folder , found the exe in the windows folder and the game loaded in like 30 seconds. (even with the hardware listed earlier in the thread it seemed pretty fast loading to me)

So my question is why did the main folder game exe fail to load? When the one in Lib/windows work just fine and does it really matter which exe I use?

completely clean install and no mods

Last edited:

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
Okay as I have said , I have not actually played the game yet , had been waiting on the tech update being this seems to be at least a year(s) away LOL.
So I DL'ed this version and went to start the game from the main exe in the main game folder and the splash screen blinked and nothing happened (waited 20+ minutes).
After that I was hunting around in the folders went into Lib found the windows folder , found the exe in the windows folder and the game loaded in like 30 seconds. (even with the hardware listed earlier in the thread it seemed pretty fast loading to me)

So my question is why did the main folder game exe fail to load? When the one in Lib/windows work just fine and does it really matter which exe I use?
The main exe works for me
Downloading it again to see if it is corrupt ?

APoc1

Apr 22, 2018
The main exe works for me
Downloading it again to see if it is corrupt ?
Does it make a difference? the one in the Lib/windows folder works fine that is what I am curious about , don't want to get half way through the game and find out I should have been using the other exe.

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
Does it make a difference? the one in the Lib/windows folder works fine that is what I am curious about , don't want to get half way through the game and find out I should have been using the other exe.
I have no idea.

Reactions: APoc1
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes