Aug 4, 2023
You don't know how much it would cost to get the job done in the timeline you would like it done. You don't know how much money DC has. Again, while you can have an opinion - it's better to have a well-informed one otherwise you're just filling your britches.
Well, you have your opinions based on pirate modders, your information and defense about DC taking a ridiculous amount of time to update a game in Ren'Py with 2d art is just as valid as mine.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Well, you have your opinions based on pirate modders, your information and defense about DC taking a ridiculous amount of time to update a game in Ren'Py with 2d art is just as valid as mine.
Again, I am not defending anyone. And no. You would be wrong because you are making an opinion from a position of being intentionally unaware without any interest in seeking information to create an informed opinion. So no, your opinion is not as valid.

Reactions: XoticRealmZ
Aug 4, 2023
Again, I am not defending anyone. And no. You would be wrong because you are making an opinion from a position of being intentionally unaware without any interest in seeking information to create an informed opinion. So no, your opinion is not as valid.
My opinion is just as informed as yours, that you believe otherwise because some modder convinced you of it is your perception and that's fine but it's still just your opinion and in no way overshadows the opinion of others.

The fact that you respond to every post about it makes you defend a position, so yes, yes you are defending DC's way of working, a way that is clearly disorganized and poorly executed, so I maintain my position: DC could have finished this update a year and a half ago.

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
Maybe you should check how long some other 2d art games have taken in development without even a scrap of gameplay in it before talking shit about a game that, at least in the past, actually did offer some new things to play.

Let's take that STARLESS sequel, Great Pretender, that came out 4 years after their previous title Closed GAME and that’s a game that can be beaten within 3 hours.

kikilake12

Jun 1, 2020
My opinion is just as informed as yours, that you believe otherwise because some modder convinced you of it is your perception and that's fine but it's still just your opinion and in no way overshadows the opinion of others.

The fact that you respond to every post about it makes you defend a position, so yes, yes you are defending DC's way of working, a way that is clearly disorganized and poorly executed, so I maintain my position: DC could have finished this update a year and a half ago.
you do know dc already finished the art for this and rhonda right?

• Haha
Reactions: BeaAndNessa

tokuin

Mar 21, 2018
(Overheard from DC's computer desk) "Fuck! Why didn't we think of that?!"
Scraps everything. Starts anew.

There are about 19,500 images in this simple game. Several hundred of which needed reworked to 16:9 display ratio and almost all of them posed to match. Also --

In the end, most of the coding probably will have been rewritten from scratch - using the original code only as a reference for charting story progression, variable tracking, and calling images for display. All the while deciphering what the previous half dozen or so previous coders had patched together over the half dozen or so years.

So while you may think it's not that complex, the 970 MB of images and 26.2 MB of text files (about 300,000-400,000 lines of code or approximately 2 million words) for the coding is a vast amount of data to go through to make sure everything is reworked correctly. That takes time.
images are not code. Images fall under "assets", which if you read what I wrote, I said to reuse.

tokuin

Mar 21, 2018
Big words. Care to back up that claim?

Oh now it's 3 years? I thought the other day it was 2. Can you guys actually make up your minds?
You can't claim the issue is that the code is a mess cause he didn't know how to code when he started and then not understand that it easier to restart from scratch with the knowledge you have gained from your mistakes than to try to go in and find all the issues one by one and fix them. That process would cause more issues because as you fix the code you will create new conflicts. I'm sorry that that is outside of your understanding.

Fate stay

Apr 19, 2023
Have you seen the latest image? Looks awesome! No wonder it's taking so long to create. I can't wait for this game to come out.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
images are not code. Images fall under "assets", which if you read what I wrote, I said to reuse.
Um... duh?

If you read what I wrote - I included the discussion about code which you decided not to reference in your reply. Also, I included images because that is part of what is being redone in the work - and cannot simply be "reused," nearly 20k images having to be reposed in their layering to dynamically create the scenes on players screens... it's not simply the code. There is also the updated UI being worked on to enhance the mobile experience and more. The tech update is more than just the cleaning of the code.
I never quite got why so many people defend this dev.
Telling the truth and stating the information that is known is not defending - though I understand how some have a schema that anything which doesn't support their personal world view means that they are the opposition. I never got why people who download games for free on a 'pirate' website complain... well, honestly, I do - it goes to the sense of entitlement and superiority that is prevalent. And yes, I include myself in that.

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
You can't claim the issue is that the code is a mess cause he didn't know how to code when he started and then not understand that it easier to restart from scratch with the knowledge you have gained from your mistakes than to try to go in and find all the issues one by one and fix them. That process would cause more issues because as you fix the code you will create new conflicts. I'm sorry that that is outside of your understanding.
Restarting from scratch doesn't mean it'll go any faster either, because it's still a game that's been developed for years that you are now starting all over again. Visual novel games can take years to create in Japan, too. And those have way less "gameplay" than Summertime Saga has. Making sure the code is future proof this time around, posing the characters with the new aspect ratio, ect is also a bitch to do due to the nature of the game not being 'one and done'.

But hey, you're apparently the expert, so why don't you enlighten DC with that wisdom of yours? :^)

kioeclipse

Dec 11, 2019
To be fair, they have to basically fix 4 or 5 years worth of bad coding and rework pretty much all the art in the game. Before he decided to do the tech update, his release schedule wasn't that bad for a hand drawn game. The problem is that he really underestimated the amount of work that it takes to fix all those things and said that the tech update would be done in around 9 months. And now 2 years later it's still not close to being finished.
Thats the thing though none of the artwork really needs reworked it was fine and one of the main factors that drew people to the game. Anither issue is he kept releasing these small updates in between the tech update, where honestly he should have just of used that time on the tech. Even then, there wasnt really anything wrong with how the game ran, some transitioms vould be annoying and sex scenes could be smoothed out but outside of that idk.

Reactions: tokuin

kioeclipse

Dec 11, 2019
Except he started less than a year ago, so how could he be finished a year and a half ago???
No he didnt the last major update was in 2021. Since that update they have been working on tech but shot themselves in foot by releasing small pre tech updates. It didnt help that the developer that was wrote most of the code and made a roadmap for the tech update left and when they brought a new person in the head to learn and work with hundred of thousands to millions of lines of code they didnt write

KingRei

Apr 15, 2018
I can't imagine being one of the people who come to this website, every day, just to post vapid conspiracy theories about how everything is a scam. Some of you are going crazy because you literally look for updates, every single day. Check back once a month and you'll suffer from significantly less hysteria

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Thats the thing though none of the artwork really needs reworked it was fine and one of the main factors that drew people to the game. Anither issue is he kept releasing these small updates in between the tech update, where honestly he should have just of used that time on the tech. Even then, there wasnt really anything wrong with how the game ran, some transitioms vould be annoying and sex scenes could be smoothed out but outside of that idk.
Except that all the artwork needed redone - either transformed to 16:9 or reposed for 16:9 display. That is one of the major aspects of the tech update, itself. To move from 4:3 to 16:9 for better mobile experience.

I agree with your point about the pre-tech updates - and have said so in the past. Also, DC eventually saw the futility of them, himself, and they stopped in October 2022.
It didnt help that the developer that was wrote most of the code and made a roadmap for the tech update left and when they brought a new person in the head to learn and work with hundred of thousands to millions of lines of code they didnt write
It would be difficult to say that one person "wrote most of the code." It started with DC learning coding while creating the content and then there were several he hired in succession who wrote the code in the intervening years with their differing signature on how coding should be approached and written. Thereby, they all created a Frankenstein's monster of 26.2 MB of code through 1600 files. DC has been a part of this all, since it is his vision. He hasn't left. Strayerror, the current coder, has been on the team since mid-2019.

Coders (listed from the wiki)
  • Strayerror (Since mid-2019)
  • Dogeek (mid-2018 to late-2019)
  • NhKPaNdA (mid-2017 to mid-2018)
  • Amo (late-2017 to mid-2018)
  • Hurfy (mid-2017 to late-2017)*
  • Arizona Identities (2016 to mid-2017)*
  • Kaosu (2016 to early-2017)*
  • DarkCookie (in the beginning... there was darkness)*
* Denotes simultaneous other developing duties (such as posing, writing, etc).
I can't imagine being one of the people who come to this website, every day, just to post vapid conspiracy theories about how everything is a scam. Some of you are going crazy because you literally look for updates, every single day. Check back once a month and you'll suffer from significantly less hysteria
Or... twice a year. Hell, people checking updates twice or three times a year, at most, is a great suggestion for any title on this site.

I, however, come for the popcorn moments. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Omniel

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
Sure, just slap all the old art on 16:9 and see how it looks. And if you're about to ask "Who needs the game in 16:9?" I'll tell you real quick: the patrons, who apparently mainly play on phones. So this you can blame on the moneybags actually paying for this.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes