Jun 4, 2023
Summertime Saga was the face of the adult gaming industry for the longest time, and it still is a staple in the industry. But it lost so much of what it could have been. I love DC and I love summertime Saga. I had been playing since 2018. But lately I can't help but be discouraged by how things are going. The game could have reached forever G.O.A.T status, it had everything in it. But newer game developers are offering so much more nowadays with so little time and resources in their hands.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I had been playing since 2018. But lately I can't help but be discouraged by how things are going. The game could have reached forever G.O.A.T status, it had everything in it. But newer game developers are offering so much more nowadays with so little time and resources in their hands.
I think it's a fine line to walk for DC. Ultimately it's the tech update (widescreen) and the countless refinements added, which will help the game to stay popular and which will probably make it an actual "classic" once we are talking about NSFW-games. Given how well good 2D art ages in general, there's no real objective need to hurry.

I've thought about it at times during these last years and he's probably right to add all these details instead of just pushing content as fast as possible.
As an example, yes, he spent 2 streams drawing a pet goat in 10 different postions in Missy's house, but details like these are what differentiates the game from almost everything else on the market. It's those small things and details which keep people invested, make them take a second or third look and which create that atmosphere and "first time wow factor" that so many other games lack.

I'm not saying that it isn't a real shame that posing and coding became such big issues, but at least he seems to be using the time to add content, that'll benefit the game in the long run.

Reactions: Omniel

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
As an example, yes, he spent 2 streams drawing a pet goat in 10 different postions in Missy's house, but details like these are what differentiates the game from almost everything else on the market. It's those small things and details which keep people invested, make them take a second or third look and which create that atmosphere and "first time wow factor" that so many other games lack.
diagree completly, what differentiated STS from other games (and what made it such a success) were reliable updates from DC, him engaging with his community on picarto, a cast of relatively well written characters that covered almost every vanilla taste and of course the relative open nature of the game (it was partly more point and click adventure than a straight VN)

those details you talk about don't make the game better a single bit just like the meme characters didn't

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
diagree completly, what differentiated STS from other games (and what made it such a success) were reliable updates from DC, him engaging with his community on picarto, a cast of relatively well written characters that covered almost every vanilla taste and of course the relative open nature of the game (it was partly more point and click adventure than a straight VN)

those details you talk about don't make the game better a single bit just like the meme characters didn't
We are talking about very different things here. SS was certainly a bit of a pioneer in some regards back in the days, but if you look at these regular pre 0.16 updates, you'll see how objectively bad the game was back then. Yes, the game would have probably be finished for quite some time if DC had continued to release these kind of updates, but it likely would have also been forgotten by now.

So it's right for DC to focus on those things which will make the game stay popular and which will attract new players. It's bad for those who are waiting for updates, but it's good for those who'll play the game for the first time.

It's not that I like those meme characters that much, but I don't think they really hurt the game, either.
I mean, let's face it, the alternative to these meme characters wouldn't have been "no new characters" but just "non meme characters" with similar character traits.

Last edited:

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
TBH, I wish there were alternatives to the meme characters. They kinda distract from the overall experience as a whole.
Yeah, though I guess it really depends on personal taste. I don't mind characters like Ricky, Tina, Kim, the 3 mafia girls, etc. while I personally don't like Keeves, Gamsay and to some degree Raz.

The only meme I'm actually looking forward to is Mr. Matthews. But maybe that's just because I really liked Scrubs back in the days and because it's likely going to be actual fun reading these dialogs.

Edit: In case anybody wants to have a look, they already updated the wiki, so it includes all of these new characters like Mr. Matthews, Ms. Irfan, Mrs. Boyle, Catherine, Jade, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019
Honestly if I have to guess DD started the development of the tech update after the 20.16 and only have before that a concept or just an idea or maybe he start everything again. That is the most positive vision I can have.

nebsama

Aug 10, 2017
I wonder if DC would take a Pict Request.
I would ask him for One Judith artwork too.
Check the fan art thread. Theres a few fan artists in there who take commissions that look very very similar to the real thing. Its probably the best bet for most people to get their kicks at this point

Reactions: polishhammer83

sirviper235

Apr 21, 2017
Personally speaking? I wish they hadn’t chosen to add all these meme characters to the game. The problem is, they were added, and have more Content than girls that have been there since the very beginning of the game. Which if you think about it it’s just kind of sad.

Plus, they kind of date the game a bit. As I have said before with mayor rump the whole thing is a big orange man bad meme, mixed with’ hey, wouldn’t it be fun to bang his wife and daughter?’ Which I mean… we are years past that point.

So it feels dated. I don’t think their existence is the issue. I think it’s much more than all these meme characters at this point tend to get more focused on then the actual girls original to the game.

Judith, is just one example but think about how kind of wild it is Mia the obvious main love interest has less scenes and attention than a meme version of trumps daughter.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Judith, is just one example but think about how kind of wild it is Mia the obvious main love interest has less scenes and attention than a meme version of trumps daughter.
Well, that's how DC's patrons voted.
Then again, it's not like it's going to stay that way. Iwanka is a somewhere between tertiary/secondary tier and that's where she's going to stay, while Mia and Judith are supposed to get proper stories, just like Roxxy and Eve.

As said above, if there hadn't been these meme characters, the corrupt "not-Rump-mayor" would likely have had a wife and daughter, too.

Is Kevin a gay?if MC and Kevin could happen some things...
Yes and yes. But it'll almost certainly either be a small surprise update or one of the last updates we'll get. It's just not very popular compared to basically everything else DC could add.

sirviper235

Apr 21, 2017
Well, that's how DC's patrons voted.
Then again, it's not like it's going to stay that way. Iwanka is a somewhere between tertiary/secondary tier and that's where she's going to stay, while Mia and Judith are supposed to get proper stories, just like Roxxy and Eve.

As said above, if there hadn't been these meme characters, the corrupt "not-Rump-mayor" would likely have had a wife and daughter, too.

Yes and yes. But it'll almost certainly either be a small surprise update or one of the last updates we'll get. It's just not very popular compared to basically everything else DC could add.
Fair point.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes