Hargas

Jan 21, 2018
So a whole new rewrite of the source-code.... that looks just like renpy... did they write their own version of renpy for python 3? because under the hood its looking a lot like renpy still.

What a waste of time
I checked. its standard renpy. no idea wtf the dev is doing trying to pass this off as a rework. with all the art already there, this is like, less than 12hrs of actual work.

XCelesX

Jun 2, 2020
Something I just noticed that I found EXTREMELY funny is that DC disabled patreon comments on this update. He knows he's fucked, he knows the shit people would fling at him and to save face and prevent new retards from stumbling across a tidal wave of angry people and not giving him more of their precious shekels he's doing everything he can to hide. View attachment 3692070
Edit: anybody have any info or anything on these "daily live streams" to actually see what the fuck he's doing outside of pissing away 2 years of everybody's interest?
can't wait for that daily livestream news. Where they hopefully rip him a new one.

Reactions: Ifllslonly

XCelesX

Jun 2, 2020
Tbh people is kinda salty these days, i would have kept comment disabled too to avoid any kind of toxicity. This kind of updates have zero chances to be happily received by most of the player base.

BTW: I really doubt that devs will be "fucked" by this, just watch how many people watched and drooled over the Tarkov TV stream today after all the shit BSG did in the last month... Summertime Saga is a classic for this genre, won't be dead just for that. Ofc it could lose lot of interest if they try to milk for too long the old content releases, but i think people will get over it if they will see huge content drops for the next patches especially if this means that devs are ready to come back on a more regular update schedule for the game.
BS! It had! They could have taken the time to ad more to the 2 characters. More scenes, pregnancy, better looking models. 2 full stories after 2 years is not too much. He half assed in like 3 new pics that pretty much look horrible and that is it. This is milking the patreons

Reactions: Eyay

CigarRex

Truly, the Rex of all Cigars...
Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
Some of you guys go out of your way to show how computer illiterate you are. lol

When the tech update was first announced it was clearly laid out that what he was doing is rebuilding the entire game. How are any of you surprised that this is what happened unless you didn't understand a word of the explanation for the tech update?

Yeah, rebuilding the source code from scratch means that every part of the game has to be rebuilt too.

On the coding side, this game is basically a new game now. You can't just copy-paste an old game's code base into a new game's code base and hit a compile button. That's not how software development works. lol
Look, I don't know how exactly the code for STS works, and even less how the team works on it. All I know is the Tech Update was advertised as a "de-spagghettification" of DC's original code from way back when, so yeah, basically re-doing everything from scratch. Everyone (should!) knows that this first slice of the original content being released today isn't 100% of the work they did during these years, and that the "under-the-hood" code is probably mostly done by now (seen as you can explore many different locations and such)

I will give my input when it comes to Ren'Py. This is not an engine exactly built with sandbox open-world roaming in mind at all, but rather, Kinetic Novels powered by Python. In fact, there is a very scarce amount of information on how to even do it in the first place, which means most devs will have to improvise their own systems to bring it to life (I know I did lol)

With that said, I was heavily inspired to make my game open world because of STS as well as many others. I was relatively knowledgeable with programming before starting, but had absolutely no clue about Ren'Py, and winged my way through the early stages of development.

From the ground up, knowing nothing about Ren'Py and alone, it took me about 3 months to get my sandbox environment ready enough to make me feel confident in the project - Daily and Weekly cycles, New locations, Different events at different locations, triggers for unique events and so on.

I do not believe my game is as vast and intricate as STS, particularly when it comes to how things react to your progress with different characters and so on. But I cannot understand how or why did it take so long for a team of developers, with the backing they have, to build STS 100% from scratch.

I could be wrong, but it always seemed that DC was ahead of the schedule with his art, and that most of the progress was being bottlenecked by coding and posing. I have been continuously baffled by this long wait ever since I learned Ren'Py myself, because I simply can't fathom what warrants this much coding effort.

I just genuinely hope that they've at least made the foundations for the game to be easily expandable in the future, so they don't face this bottleneck again. After all, I'm pretty sure this was their main goal from the start, but wow did it take long...

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
Let's see what the next round is going to bring. Will DCs patreon numbers fall substantially, or will they not? And how will each side react to it?

Only time will tell.

-samael-

Jan 10, 2020
Well... Looks like DarkCookie needs some milk to go along with him. You know... coockies and milk... Santa likes it. That's why he is milking it. Everyone is free to spend their money as they wish, but these patrons are being scammed hard, this is a fact. It's like some dudes buying some bath water from e-girls. As already said, this update was just to avoid the "abandoned game" tag.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
DC disabling the comments, the jenny art, the copium from the DC patreons, this whole train wreck has been kind of hilarious. definitely worth the two year wait
honestly couldnt have said it better myself. the game has been functionally abandoned for years with juuuust enough content reluctantly pushed out to avoid the abandoned tag and to keep the braindead patreon supporters paying, but the devs finally flew too close to the sun this time and its been AMAZING to sit back and watch it all

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
gallery comparison
v20
v20.png
v21
v21.png

the locked girl in v21 is the mother. she has scenes (much less than v20) but due to a bug it does not unlock her gallery
the locked girl in v20 is someone who I cannot reach due to importing my save from an older version. and I didn't want to restart the game for just 1 girl.

RiffRaff0682

Aug 3, 2017
Look, I don't know how exactly the code for STS works, and even less how the team works on it. All I know is the Tech Update was advertised as a "de-spagghettification" of DC's original code from way back when, so yeah, basically re-doing everything from scratch. Everyone (should!) knows that this first slice of the original content being released today isn't 100% of the work they did during these years, and that the "under-the-hood" code is probably mostly done by now (seen as you can explore many different locations and such)

I will give my input when it comes to Ren'Py. This is not an engine exactly built with sandbox open-world roaming in mind at all, but rather, Kinetic Novels powered by Python. In fact, there is a very scarce amount of information on how to even do it in the first place, which means most devs will have to improvise their own systems to bring it to life (I know I did lol)

With that said, I was heavily inspired to make my game open world because of STS as well as many others. I was relatively knowledgeable with programming before starting, but had absolutely no clue about Ren'Py, and winged my way through the early stages of development.

From the ground up, knowing nothing about Ren'Py and alone, it took me about 3 months to get my sandbox environment ready enough to make me feel confident in the project - Daily and Weekly cycles, New locations, Different events at different locations, triggers for unique events and so on.

I do not believe my game is as vast and intricate as STS, particularly when it comes to how things react to your progress with different characters and so on. But I cannot understand how or why did it take so long for a team of developers, with the backing they have, to build STS 100% from scratch.

I could be wrong, but it always seemed that DC was ahead of the schedule with his art, and that most of the progress was being bottlenecked by coding and posing. I have been continuously baffled by this long wait ever since I learned Ren'Py myself, because I simply can't fathom what warrants this much coding effort.

I just genuinely hope that they've at least made the foundations for the game to be easily expandable in the future, so they don't face this bottleneck again. After all, I'm pretty sure this was their main goal from the start, but wow did it take long...
I'm baffled because it's advertised as a 'complete rewrite of the source code' that would mean a complete re-write of the renpy engine itself.

There are a lot more Renpy Sandbox games these days to take a look at. Also, there are a ton of devs who are managing the sandbox and released high res games with Ren'py without having to re-write the whole thing.

Honestly I'm pretty sure DC is using buzz words they don't understand to make it look like they did more work than they actually did.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
gallery comparison
v20
View attachment 3692103
v21
View attachment 3692104
the locked girl in v21 is the mother. she has scenes (much less than v20) but due to a bug it does not unlock her gallery
LMFAO THERES NO WAAAAY AHGAHAHA

devs nuked their own game, got lazy and basically stopped making progress, a year goes by and then abandoned tag gets put on the project... "QUICK!!! RELEASE THE HANDFUL OF SCENES WE HAVE!!!!!"

Reactions: Mastershake
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes