EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
DC disabling the comments, the jenny art, the copium from the DC patreons, this whole train wreck has been kind of hilarious. definitely worth the two year wait
honestly couldnt have said it better myself. the game has been functionally abandoned for years with juuuust enough content reluctantly pushed out to avoid the abandoned tag and to keep the braindead patreon supporters paying, but the devs finally flew too close to the sun this time and its been AMAZING to sit back and watch it all

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
gallery comparison
v20
v20.png
v21
v21.png

the locked girl in v21 is the mother. she has scenes (much less than v20) but due to a bug it does not unlock her gallery
the locked girl in v20 is someone who I cannot reach due to importing my save from an older version. and I didn't want to restart the game for just 1 girl.

RiffRaff0682

Aug 3, 2017
Look, I don't know how exactly the code for STS works, and even less how the team works on it. All I know is the Tech Update was advertised as a "de-spagghettification" of DC's original code from way back when, so yeah, basically re-doing everything from scratch. Everyone (should!) knows that this first slice of the original content being released today isn't 100% of the work they did during these years, and that the "under-the-hood" code is probably mostly done by now (seen as you can explore many different locations and such)

I will give my input when it comes to Ren'Py. This is not an engine exactly built with sandbox open-world roaming in mind at all, but rather, Kinetic Novels powered by Python. In fact, there is a very scarce amount of information on how to even do it in the first place, which means most devs will have to improvise their own systems to bring it to life (I know I did lol)

With that said, I was heavily inspired to make my game open world because of STS as well as many others. I was relatively knowledgeable with programming before starting, but had absolutely no clue about Ren'Py, and winged my way through the early stages of development.

From the ground up, knowing nothing about Ren'Py and alone, it took me about 3 months to get my sandbox environment ready enough to make me feel confident in the project - Daily and Weekly cycles, New locations, Different events at different locations, triggers for unique events and so on.

I do not believe my game is as vast and intricate as STS, particularly when it comes to how things react to your progress with different characters and so on. But I cannot understand how or why did it take so long for a team of developers, with the backing they have, to build STS 100% from scratch.

I could be wrong, but it always seemed that DC was ahead of the schedule with his art, and that most of the progress was being bottlenecked by coding and posing. I have been continuously baffled by this long wait ever since I learned Ren'Py myself, because I simply can't fathom what warrants this much coding effort.

I just genuinely hope that they've at least made the foundations for the game to be easily expandable in the future, so they don't face this bottleneck again. After all, I'm pretty sure this was their main goal from the start, but wow did it take long...
I'm baffled because it's advertised as a 'complete rewrite of the source code' that would mean a complete re-write of the renpy engine itself.

There are a lot more Renpy Sandbox games these days to take a look at. Also, there are a ton of devs who are managing the sandbox and released high res games with Ren'py without having to re-write the whole thing.

Honestly I'm pretty sure DC is using buzz words they don't understand to make it look like they did more work than they actually did.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
gallery comparison
v20
View attachment 3692103
v21
View attachment 3692104
the locked girl in v21 is the mother. she has scenes (much less than v20) but due to a bug it does not unlock her gallery
LMFAO THERES NO WAAAAY AHGAHAHA

devs nuked their own game, got lazy and basically stopped making progress, a year goes by and then abandoned tag gets put on the project... "QUICK!!! RELEASE THE HANDFUL OF SCENES WE HAVE!!!!!"

Reactions: Mastershake

Sasori21

Apr 5, 2020
can't wait for that daily livestream news. Where they hopefully rip him a new one.
If you try that they'll ban you forever and ever. I don't watch his streams regularly, but the few times I have, people brought up the subject and got banned on the spot. The DC groupies are super-sensitive. Especially a girl whose name escapes me, defends DC like he's the second coming of Jesus or some shite, it's quite pathetic.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
What you folks can't understand is the concept of patreon. People there aren't paying for the game, they believe in the quality of the project and in dev and they want to support him. If a lot of people still pay them as today that means that they believe in the dev. That's all. If you don't like the project just ignore it. And that is valid for summertime saga and for star citizen in the same way. No one is forcing you into put money on the game, no one is forcing you into playing it and not even reading news about it. Just ignore it, there is absolutely no need to get salty about a videgame that you never paid a cent for.

What other people like to do with their money should not be your concern in any way. And i write this while i never ever considered to give even a penny for STS and not even being a diehard fan of the game. I just read briefly about it when it comes up on "Latest updates" section on f95 because it was one of my first (if not my first) adult game i played. Just chill.
then they're deluded. theres been a VERY clear downward spiral of quality and quantity of content from the dev for years.

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
honestly couldnt have said it better myself. the game has been functionally abandoned for years with juuuust enough content reluctantly pushed out to avoid the abandoned tag and to keep the braindead patreon supporters paying, but the devs finally flew too close to the sun this time and its been AMAZING to sit back and watch it all
oh yeah the discord is also on fire now and not even the mods can contain the rage. someone called DC a scammer and the comment is still there even though usually such posts get deleted but there is probably too much for the mods to handle

i don't feel sorry for the patreons though, if you're still donating to this project no matter if it's 1$ or 100$ you must have some sort of self humiliation fetish

cadwaladr

Aug 4, 2017
If you try that they'll ban you forever and ever. I don't watch his streams regularly, but the few times I have, people brought up the subject and got banned on the spot. The DC groupies are super-sensitive. Especially a girl whose name escapes me, defends DC like he's the second coming of Jesus or some shite, it's quite pathetic.
That'll be his wife probably. Earning her keep.

Reactions: MrBree

Wisconzin

Feb 18, 2021
Fuck, I should have leave comments before. I was thinking that for the abandoned tag there would be the smallest update to prevent it. Then there was the thing about partial release and I was thinking: now they have a month to actually start putting it together.
And it seems like the case. To reverse engineer the whole thing cannot take two years.
And now, the next part should be 2 months away. My prediction is to buckle up for 3 months wait. There are going to be some unforseen complications.

Reactions: EthanB86

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
oh yeah the discord is also on fire now and not even the mods can contain the rage. someone called DC a scammer and the comment is still there even though usually such posts get deleted but there is probably too much for the mods to handle

i don't feel sorry for the patreons though, if you're still donating to this project no matter if it's 1$ or 100$ you must have some sort of humiliation fetish
LMFAO. couldnt agree more. if i was putting my own money into the project i would have pulled out years ago, the quality and quantity of content has just gone off a cliff, theres no way someone still supports these devs after all this crap unless theyre genuinely deluded

Nullx54

Jun 4, 2017
Well looks like the forum was quick to remove the abandoned tag now that DC released a demo of the Tech Update. Honestly they should have kept it on to make sure he doesn't grift people some more.

Oh well, see you in 2026.

WASDwarrior

Apr 15, 2024
It's clear as day how the developer wants to do this and I'm baffled he still has the amount of support he does. Not only he reset everything to 0 but he also planned out that the next updates will come every 2 months, while already pointing what content will be in the next 3 updates with arrows.

By the looks of it 6 months from now the "tech update" version might be half as big as "pre-tech update", so give or take 1 year from now the current game MIGHT catch up to what it used to be, only for him to decide to update to 4k or something.

Should've just wrapped the game up fine with the current code and art and started a new one with better coding knowledge or something. Welp. I'm out.

View attachment 3691969
Dude has put the game development playlist on "Loop".

So, Rhonda is gonna release in 2027?

Reactions: Mastershake
4.00 star(s) 363 Votes