EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
Fuck, I should have leave comments before. I was thinking that for the abandoned tag there would be the smallest update to prevent it. Then there was the thing about partial release and I was thinking: now they have a month to actually start putting it together.
And it seems like the case. To reverse engineer the whole thing cannot take two years.
And now, the next part should be 2 months away. My prediction is to buckle up for 3 months wait. There are going to be some unforseen complications.
its a Ren'Py game, it should only take a few short months to reverse engineer the whole game for the code alone and to update any art should take around the same time. if the devs were working full time (which they should be considering how much money theyre raking in) then the update should have been done in 6 months or less. i get that burnout is a thing and i understand that, but over a year is kinda pushing it... TWO years tho? frankly obscene

Surmikas

Mar 30, 2023
What you folks can't understand is the concept of patreon. People there aren't paying for the game, they believe in the quality of the project and in dev and they want to support him. If a lot of people still pay them as today that means that they believe in the dev. That's all. If you don't like the project just ignore it. And that is valid for summertime saga and for star citizen in the same way. No one is forcing you into put money on the game, no one is forcing you into playing it and not even reading news about it. Just ignore it, there is absolutely no need to get salty about a videgame that you never paid a cent for.

What other people like to do with their money should not be your concern in any way. And i write this while i never ever considered to give even a penny for STS and not even being a diehard fan of the game. I just read briefly about it when it comes up on "Latest updates" section on f95 because it was one of my first (if not my first) adult game i played. Just chill.
No need to get salty just because people have opinions, nobody forces you to read the comments, you can go to the dev's discord to clean his boots and ignore the mean people here, just ignore it.
Just chill.

Aug 11, 2017
anybody have any info or anything on these "daily live streams" to actually see what the fuck he's doing outside of pissing away 2 years of everybody's interest?
Haven't watched in a few months but used to catch the streams from time to time. DC was making art long before the last "pre tech update" 2 years ago that has yet to be seen in the game. The art for the new locations was done ages ago and some art for the Rhonda update was shown about a year ago though he tends to avoid showing too many spoilers. This content won't be in the game for a minimum of another 12 months so he's actually well ahead depending on the amount of work needed to replace the old backgrounds.

If you follow the progress tracker on their website, art is always far ahead of everything else. Obviously posing can't be done before art and writing could be much further ahead than it is but coding has consistently been massively behind everything else. This is where all of the holdups are which for a hand drawn game makes little sense as it is much easier to hire more programmers than artists who can match a particular style (which is why animated shows use the same art styles as one another).

Either they are choosing not to hire more programmers to maintain profits or to deliberately slow down production, or else the company and it's leadership are incompetent and don't know how to scale development. Either way they are earning too much money for the rate of progress over the last 4 years since the tech update was announced.

Jul 15, 2020
Damn, there are lots of complainers. Instead of complaining about the update, how about you play the sheer amount of content that was available before the dev released the tech update? I have no idea what goes into development, do you? God knows what kind of things they have to change in the code. It’s been what, six years or so, and they are still working on it. That’s a lot of time to get better at something and look back on your previous work and think, ‘What the fuck was I doing with that part?’ I’ve had that thought over a couple of things I’ve spent time on. Would you have preferred the devs just to give up and leave? If so, get out of here. You clearly don’t like the game in that case.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
...the company and it's leadership are incompetent and don't know how to scale development...
yea. this part is accurate. theyve said they dont have any deadlines or requirements or guidelines etc for production in-house. thats fine when its just a single person working on a project, but anything more than that and there NEEDS to be deadlines, guidelines etc to make sure eveything gets done and gets done properly

CigarRex

Truly, the Rex of all Cigars...
Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
Some desperate undergrad would have remade the whole game in Unity in 2 years for 5k a month. DC is sitting on 30k and still diddling with Renpy so he could have an excuse "engine wasn't meant for sandbox experience like our game".
Heck, Ren'Py isn't even that bad for sandbox when you get your shit together. Obviously doesn't hold a candle to Unity, but it's far more workable than people may make it seem. Sometimes very annoying, but any engine will be.

I've heard from dogeek (previous lead programmer) that the hardest part of it all was actually doing the mini-games, which yeah sounds like one hell of a nightmare to do in raw python basically lol

Last edited:

anminter17

Sep 8, 2017
then they're deluded. theres been a VERY clear downward spiral of quality and quantity of content from the dev for years.
I don't literally care much, as i stated i kinda follow this game development because it was my first adult game i ever played so it's kinda for "sentimental value" but i'm not much into it and is not between my favourites by far.

I understand that many of you are kinda disappointed after a long wait just to see what seems like a rework/reboot of it but you should at least give some month to devs and see how much content they bring back in the next patch, maybe it will be a huge part of it or maybe not but why don't wait and see instead of this pointless whining? Ofc if i was a patreon i would have stopped my payments until i see what they are going to do for next releases but other than that why complain so much? Especially if you aren't even paying them. Just skip this release and wait at least few of future releases before saying that the game is dead.

To be honest STS was feeling a bit old even few years ago when i played it and while i admit that i would have managed this "backend update" in a different way (for sure i wouldn't have published it with so few content compared to v20) it was quite needed. And with that i'm not stating that i'm happy with this outcome from devs but simply that it's quite early to be so dramatic.

• Angry
Reactions: another___account

Wisconzin

Feb 18, 2021
With this project, the journey is the destination. Someone could write a research paper on human psychology and modern indie game development on this milking shitshow.
My only hope is that this will be the golden standart of game development. The ultimate goal: if we work hard enough and create a good game, we too can have 30k $/month for doing nothing.

4.00 star(s) 363 Votes