KeiNineX

Aug 10, 2019
Good update and surprise surprise the possessive folks are losing their shit over the open relationship. Even though it is 100% optional and you are completely free to do a faithful Nicole route, some people just have to throw their toys out of the pram. As for the people who are moaning about being to sleep around while not being happy that Nicole MIGHT sleep around too (even though the devs have said she won't), grow up. If both parties agree to an open relationship, both parties can do what they want. They handled it well and set down the ground rules. All of which were mutually agreed upon.

I'm really enjoying this story and did a full reread (ok, I skipped the stuff with Brodie's dad) and it is shaping up to be a great VN with empasis on the novel. Not having the saves helped but I had already planned on doing a full reread anyway so its all good. At least the donuts and peeping tom unlocks still saved.
No, people are not losing their shit over the open relationship, people are losing their shit over the lack of choice in that regard. Nobody would give a fuck about her suggesting an open relationship if there was an option to break up with her (And yes I know there PROBALY will be next update). So you can try and shape the narrative that we are possesive, jelous, insecure or whatever but the fact is just add one more option there(whic again is most likely gonna get added anyway) and everything would have been fine.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Thank you for releasing this before Crusader Kings 3 release. That way I can marathon this because I dive into CK3.

Jokes aside, if this last release is as good as the previous ones you'll probably gain one more patron.
More incest in CK3 than in this game, lol...

Reactions: res999

lkta

May 3, 2017
I am convinced that whoever writes these dialogues has never talked to a real human beeing before and got his knowledge of human interactions from tv commercials.
Heh, Most of it reads like a conversation between Alexa & Siri where they occasionally get a bit confused talking about romance and go in great detail into the mechanics of fixing various appliances before someone resets them and they get back to the mostly banal self-doubt and general pointless fluff on the topic of love.

kantigura

Mar 17, 2019
Nicole: I love you.
MC: I love you.
Nicole: Would you consider a temporary open relationship?
MC: We are breaking up.

Yeah, that makes no sense.
The way things have played out so far it does make sense. Nicole was already fairly distant with the MC and the relationship has already been rocky. Then she is all on board with you flying to the other side of the country for the summer as it "will give you time to sort out your relationship", then she starts off a video call with "we should see other people". If I was the MC it would seem to me she already found someone new and got you out the picture for the summer, and the open relationship is just a way of guilt free cheating. Even the mutual "I love you" is cheap, people say that all the time as they head out the door to cheat on their spouse, it means nothing.

Trikus

May 31, 2020
The way things have played out so far it does make sense. Nicole was already fairly distant with the MC and the relationship has already been rocky. Then she is all on board with you flying to the other side of the country for the summer as it "will give you time to sort out your relationship", then she starts off a video call with "we should see other people". If I was the MC it would seem to me she already found someone new and got you out the picture for the summer, and the open relationship is just a way of guilt free cheating. Even the mutual "I love you" is cheap, people say that all the time as they head out the door to cheat on their spouse, it means nothing.
" If I was the MC" Yeah, but you aren't the MC are you? Sounds like you have trust issues.

The story as written has adults who are seeing the bigger picture. Both are in love with each other, trust each other and both want their relationship to work. Turning around and ending the relationship right then and there just doesn't make sense to characters as they are portrayed. Yes, the relationship is rocky, but that doesn't mean either of them fell out of love and both of them want the relationship to work.

wittnotyoyo

Jan 31, 2020
Going into the open relationship call I was anticipating and planning on using the option to break up with Nicole. Seeing the discussion here it occurs to me that part of the reasoning for that is because I was prepared for the call based on scenes we see with Nicole. For the MC the suggestion comes utterly out of the blue during a call where they have a very short amount of time to speak with each other and he has 5 more years of history with her than we do I can see why he wouldn't immediately jump to the break up option, then he is immediately off with Vicky so there is not really time to reflect either.

I basically consider the MC and Nicole broken up at this point, just given her rules she doesn't want to hear about it until I've picked out my LI(s) to pursue. I agree with some of the comments here about how controlling she is with the MC and how uncomfortable the dynamic was with the two of them in the beginning scenes. Gerald and Nicole seem to get along better than the MC does with either of them.

Did anyone think it was weird that the MC acted so shocked that his dad might have cheated on Ashley? MC even comments about how his dad cheated on his mom with Ashley so it seemed a little odd to me.

If I could remove any character from the game I think it would be Ashley. Maybe she can decide she needs to go on another multi-month vacation and inform everyone by note. It may just be the writing but it seems weird that she is so cagey about explaining things to the MC if the only reason for the breakup was Gerald cheating. Cutting Lacey off from contacting them seems like an overreaction too and I wish the MC hadn't accepted her reasoning on that so easily.

I also find it creepy how much she is pursuing the MC. She even acknowledges that he doesn't seem interested in a few responses and she still manipulated the MC into the shower scene and kisses him on the lips. I have some suspicions that Ashley was attracted to the MC when he was 15 or concerns about the relationship between MC and the sister and that contributed to her dramatic departure and breaking off contact.

It is also disturbing that Ashley is more concerned with throwing herself at the MC and avoiding questions that would greatly improve the dynamic between the MC and sister. Her nonchalance at disappearing for months and leaving her daughter to sink or swim with a failing hotel and refusal to really take responsibility for some horrific parenting mistakes for both her daughter and the MC is off-putting.

Terrible parents do seem to be a strong theme in this game (Gerald, Ashley, Ashley's sister, their parents kicking Ashley out, orgy priest dad, psycho murder chef and maybe others I'm not thinking about now). I hope we don't get any bad revelations about Mr. Roshi, he seems pretty great.

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
I don't find anything about this situation suspenseful, I just want to have a not so spineless and clueless MC. I want to break up with a forced Li that I have zero interest in and have had zero interest in since the game started. Nicole and the MC's relationship is not a healthy one and I want out, it does not matter that she may or may not have a kink I am into in a future path I want nothing to do with her.
What is an “LI?”

• Angry
Reactions: Imperator753

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
" If I was the MC" Yeah, but you aren't the MC are you? Sounds like you have trust issues.

The story as written has adults who are seeing the bigger picture. Both are in love with each other, trust each other and both want their relationship to work. Turning around and ending the relationship right then and there just doesn't make sense to characters as they are portrayed. Yes, the relationship is rocky, but that doesn't mean either of them fell out of love and both of them want the relationship to work.
Lol likely I have trust issues as well then, but I already wanted the chance to break up with her before he even flew off to the island. It did not feel like a loving or healthy relationship already while he was still there in the rain. Then again I have a thing against overly controlling women with their whole life plan already decided and little compassion for someone that likely just had a serious bad day when fired instead of promoted, so I am likely prejudiced. :p

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Firstly this is about there not being a choice now not in a week or two. You are going to tell me that the MC someone trying to become a trial lawyer is unable to make a decision about his own life? So you are saying that if he was blindsided in a case he would be like 'excuse me I need a week to come up with an answer, can I get back to you than?'
Yep. Being a trial lawyer, sometimes you get thrown for a loop. There are a lot of trial attorneys out there, and their personalities run the gambit.

ThatGuyWithaAfro

Aug 28, 2018
Honestly the whole open relationship thing to me is basically the game asking whether you want to see Nicole fuck other people... Well I don't give a fuck about her... She pales in comparison to the women directly in MC's life... She is forced on the player basically.

Honestly I'm more pissed at the sex scene in this update... To skip it then show it in a day dream is beyond stupid writing.. You killed all the fucking steam, the spontaneous... And most importantly, my boner.

kantigura

Mar 17, 2019

I am not the MC but as someone who has played table top RPG's for over 30 years, I do tend to make decisions in a VN as if I was the MC, I get very immersed in what I am reading. Yeah some trust issues, having been on the bad end of something like that does that to a person. However, taking lessons from that a real "loving" relationship with problems is not going to be resolved for most people with both sides going off and having casual sex with others. Once again my opinion, and from many of the post, others as well. Not saying that you opinion is wrong, everyone handles relationships and sex in different ways. Would have just been nice to have the option for a clean split, or a longer more in depth conversation with Nicky about it, as there was little give in take, more just here is how it is take it or leave it.

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
As a Navy veteran, i am rather offended - EVERYBODY is out of uniform.

And, even if their uniforms weren't incorrectly portrayed, the two sailors shouldn't have been in whites; they ought have have been in working dress ... and the Navy - unless it's changed that since my day - does not normally wear hats indoors.

I really hope that i won't have to be constantly cringing at stuff like that - because is i DO have to, i probably won't go on with the game.
And that’s how the Donutstan Navy rolls. Lol. Being an Air Force veteran myself, I know it can be a bit jarring. This probably will be something to fix at the end and hope by then someone has come up with better uniforms for Daz, because they were very limited. And yes, fixing the hats too.

But if this has pissed off a sailor, maybe it is my Air Force duty to ensure this doesn’t get fixed...

3.50 star(s) 270 Votes