Topper420

Nov 4, 2019
"Bro, it's just a plot convenience, bro" is just an excuse for lazy writing.

MC/Nicole's relationship has been obviously toxic from the beginning. The MC is written as a bit of a spineless whinebaby just going with whatever those around him want. I don't think the criticism coming from from players that want a well written story is invalid.

If the Dots team wanted to avoid this blowback it could have been easily done, a bit more build up of expressed anger/resentment at the situation between them, then the open relationship question is put forth by the MC, not Nicole. It would have been some character growth by the MC taking control of his romantic life and would have achieved the plot convience that the writer wanted. I think most people do understand if there is an open relationship it doesn't always mean both sides use the pass for it, but the one proposing it is almost always understood to be the one that wants to use it to it's fullest advantage.

The fact that it was proposed at long distance without even some feeling out pre-discussion just fuels the scummy feeling people have about Nicole. 100% Nicole could be proposing this because she's a cuckqueen, but the characterization of her and the MC requires far too much suspension of disbelief at this point in the story for this scenario to be remotely believeable.

I might be more inclined to buy in if the MC wasn't being written so passively, but with the story as it is, it's a very easy, and obvious, conclusion that Nicole wants a fresh dick to hop on. If the script writer doesn't understand that perception from readers, well I can't help the script to this point is poorly written.

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Like people above have said, the fact that you and one of the devs need to spend this much time trying to explain why something isn't actually bad just shows that it was poorly done in the first place. Also neither of you are remotely objective. One of you develops the game, and you are a huge fan of Mr Dots, mod their discord and have all three of their games listed as your favourite VN's. You are biased. The criticism of this game is completely warranted and should be taken on board if the devs actually want to improve their product.
Sigh, this is like watching the first 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan and walking out because it is a hopeless shitfest for Tom Hanks.

Topper420

Nov 4, 2019
Sigh, this is like watching the first 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan and walking out because it is a hopeless shitfest for Tom Hanks.
It's not though, because people saw trailers and film runtime, and had context of a WW2 story so they already understood a bit where where things were going. All we have here is the story we're presented with as it's released.

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Maybe it would be good idea to actually read the post before responding, again, this was the perfect opportunity to break up with her suggesting the open realtionship but you can't. It's not confirmed that it will be added next update. And yes the fract that they needed people to tell them that being stuck with 1 LI or in an open relationship when they had the perfect opportunity right there to break it off is bizzare. So no, this is not complaining for the sake of complaining.

Edit: So your gf says you need time apart and week later she suggests open relationship and it would feel wrong to break up. Really?
Since MC has an arc to do where he becomes self actual Ex, having him be decisive this early cuts into that arc growth. A decision next release is more realistic given what has come before. Unless you are saying he has already been a very decisive person and we are waffling back on his decisiveness.

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
It's not though, because people saw trailers and film runtime, and had context of a WW2 story so they already understood a bit where where things were going. All we have here is the story we're presented with as it's released.
Exactly - But knowing Melody and DMD, there is a lot still to come.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Exactly - But knowing Melody and DMD, there is a lot still to come.
True but the problem is that is months or years away and not resolved in a week. Lot of that kind of drama is a lot less impactful if you can resolve it next week or in one play through, unfortunately that is not a possibility in game development, so situations drag on for over a year in real time and become way more annoying cause of that. Like it will take a long time before the Brody situation will be resolved and he either had a change of heart or will be found out to be the asshat that he is based upon beginning of game :p

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
She has a full-time job...? Isn't the MC the broke ass one? I am pretty curious how a lawyer at a prestigious law firm can't seem to handle the mortgage without any help, though. I don't think the dev thought that one through...
When you get out of law school, you have a shitload of debt. Usually you can’t even afford a mortgage until several years later. Later the pay gets good, but those first years are tough. Luckily I went into the Air Force shortly after law school and was able to defer my law school loans.

Jeff Steel

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
True but the problem is that is months or years away and not resolved in a week. Lot of that kind of drama is a lot less impactful if you can resolve it next week or in one play through, unfortunately that is not a possibility in game development, so situations drag on for over a year in real time and become way more annoying cause of that. Like it will take a long time before the Brody situation will be resolved and he either had a change of heart or will be found out to be the asshat that he is based upon beginning of game :p
Give Brodie some love. Out of all the villains out there in f95zone land, he is fairly decent. As far as villains go.

• Haha
Reactions: DA22

Topper420

Nov 4, 2019
Give Brodie some love. Out of all the villains out there in f95zone land, he is fairly decent. As far as villains go.
Brodie is waiting for his own game, he's the flip-side stereo-typical MC in many games here. The weak willed son waiting to come out of daddies shadow and take over the company with a harem of capable women.
Honestly, at this point I don't even consider him a villain, he's a non-thinking extension of his father's will. Which is what's getting him in trouble with his girlfriend.

GodfromSpace

Nov 24, 2018
When you get out of law school, you have a shitload of debt. Usually you can’t even afford a mortgage until several years later. Later the pay gets good, but those first years are tough. Luckily I went into the Air Force shortly after law school and was able to defer my law school loans.
Are you from USA right? because, if yes, the debt for going into an high level school is really ridiculous.

Anyway, finished your update and the game is really cool, hope it keep up until the end.

Reactions: Real Kreten

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
True, but he is still a villain and somehow when I play a game with family members I hate them hanging around villains. They do not have to be mine per se, but I do want a really decent option for them and not an asshat. Knowing he will be around for a year or longer is more of a turnoff to me personally as exciting. :p Then again that is just on me and an important reason I will wait with fully playing the game until he is out of the picture or had a change of heart so I can go through all that drama in one go and it bothers me way less. :)

Trikus

May 31, 2020
I am not the MC but as someone who has played table top RPG's for over 30 years, I do tend to make decisions in a VN as if I was the MC, I get very immersed in what I am reading.
And that right there is the issue. In a tabletop RPG, you are your character. You decide your characteristics and react based on how you want them to. In a VN you are playing a predefined character. You are allowed to name your character but everything else is already cemented as the character. So, while you personally disagree with a character's choices (and you are most certainly free too), the character will behave in accordance to who he is defined as. You may have ended your relationship in this scenario, but that is not what the defined MC would have done.

3.50 star(s) 270 Votes