jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
I mean, it's not rocket science -- they'll typically reject characters who have appearance common for middle- or high-schoolers (short, relatively small breasted, round childish face) and have sex, regardless of how many "they're 18+ year old college students" gets plastered on the game. Yes, i know, "there's older women who look this young" but Steam isn't interested in risking getting smeared as "platform for child p*rn" based on such technicalities for the sake of publishing a few more games, when they get thousands as it is.
But that is not true

They randomly reject some and not others with the SAME look

I own and have wishlisted 7-9 VNs on Steam ALL with at least one character who looks younger than Sofi in Mel so of course way younger than Mel

They are nuts
It all comes down to WHO does the review

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well lately it seems that person/s who dislikes petites have been reviewing avns on steam.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
But that is not true

They randomly reject some and not others with the SAME look

I own and have wishlisted 7-9 VNs on Steam ALL with at least one character who looks younger than Sofi in Mel so of course way younger than Mel

They are nuts
It all comes down to WHO does the review
Like you note yourself, it comes down to the person who does the review, so it's not exactly "randomly". Some people on their staff will have more strict views than others, someone's opinions can change over years, or even their internal guidelines can become more strict or lenient, but it's not really something you can rely on when you spend 2-3 years on making a game.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
or get booted off years later when some1 reports and more strict mod does new review.

• Sad
Reactions: ffive

Hyperserver

often the biggest step forward is to "step back"
Donor
Jun 30, 2018
Not to forget the bad (illegal ??? - no personal proof so far, only knowing what i have been told) practise of STEAM happened to devs i know:
First Valve took their page down, then all paid money has been frozen and not paid out to the dev.
After asking what happens to that money, Valve answered that they will pay back all the people who purchased.
BUT:
Talking directly to the people who bought, all user which were asked didn't get any money back at all.
Asking Valve about that, the only answer has been like "You are banned - because of ToS violation your money is confiscated and you have no say and no right to be informed what we do after you being banned."

The first time i heared such things, i couldn't believe it and thought the dev exaggerated - but i now know more than one dev who actually independently from each other told the same experience.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: _Gaalec_ and cxx

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Not to forget the bad (illegal ??? - no personal proof so far, only knowing what i have been told) practise of STEAM happened to devs i know:
First Valve took their page down, then all paid money has been frozen and not paid out to the dev.
After asking what happens to that money, Valve answered that they will pay back all the people who purchased.
BUT:
Talking directly to the people who bought, all user which were asked didn't get any money back at all.
Asking Valve about that, the only answer has been like "You are banned - because of ToS violation your money is confiscated and you have no say and no right to be informed what we do after you being banned."

The first time i heared such things, i couldn't believe it and thought the dev exaggerated - but i now know more than one dev who actually independently from each other told the same experience.
is GOG as bad as that? They sell AVNs as well

White Lamp

Dec 18, 2020
I’m curious how much extra money do people make on steam. It’s seem like every dev wants to get on steam.

Hyperserver

Donor
Jun 30, 2018
What i still don't understand:
If you have a game which has some girls who just LOOK too young, it's a terribe no no and you will be banned. (patreon)

BUT:
If you report a game (like Raptus on patreon), which one and only goal is to beat up women, break their bones, rape them and rip unborn babies out of their womb, you only got as response "It's just a fictive story - nothing we will do against".

So i stopped to ask and came to the understanding that there are no binding equal standards for all. Maybe support people simply throw dice every day which game they take down, and which not. It's pure luck whether you get banned or not - not really depending on your content. I just gave up to think about WHY - can't do anything against that practice anyways and it will only cost your energy.

EDIT:
WHOW - i take it back - seems they NOW act after months of doing nothing
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Hyperserver

Donor
Jun 30, 2018
I’m curious how much extra money do people make on steam. It’s seem like every dev wants to get on steam.
it's less the money - it's more like creating publicity. (millions of new players get to know your work)
Even more as steam takes a 30% cut for themself.
And you don't get a permanent support, you only get paid once - updates are for free, as it's no new game or dlc - so overall the money is less than SS or patreon.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
doubt any1 will reveal numbers but if patreon gives few thousand then steam can give that sum tenfold.

What i still don't understand:
If you have a game which has some girls who just LOOK too young, it's a terribe no no and you will be banned.
right, can make mass slaughter but not young looking girls having sex.

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
Well, Dev of FreshWomen announced on their Steam page that they had sold a million units. That's for an unfinished game that has been on there less than two years. At 13.99 US dollars for each unit, that's a pile of money, even with Steams cut, not to mention, they have over 7k Patrons. So, yes, getting on Steam can make it a sustainable job for a lot of Devs.

Hyperserver

Donor
Jun 30, 2018
Well, Dev of FreshWomen announced on their Steam page that they had sold a million units. That's for an unfinished game that has been on there less than two years. At 13.99 US dollars for each unit, that's a pile of money, even with Steams cut, not to mention, they have over 7k Patrons. So, yes, getting on Steam can make it a sustainable job for a lot of Devs.
doubt they sold 1 mio.
Aside that, the second largest country of supporters of MrDots (behind USA) actually is Germany, which is restricted on Steam for adult VN at all.

White Lamp

Dec 18, 2020
Holy crap. So 15, is that include all updates or just to that point?

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
Holy crap. So 15, is that include all updates or just to that point?
That's just Season 1. Season 2 will be releasing on Steam later this year, it will probably sell just as well. No reason to think they are lying about an official sales post on Steam. Not that hard to verify it either.
The game does not have great writing, but the girls are gorgeous and the lewds are amazing.
Breaking it into separate seasons is basically allowing them to print money. I'm sure all the Patrons don't hurt either.
Steam can reach a pretty wide audience. DrPinkCake has sold well over a million of BaDIK, NLT is up there with Treasure of Nadia, as well. Also saw a post that Fetish Locator had sold those kinds of numbers as well, but don't know if it's just part 3, or all parts combined.
All you need to be able to buy the games in Germany is a decent VPN, or so I have been told.
One of the top selling games of 2023 on Steam was Village Rhapsody. It's a Chinese Hentai game, and that's across all categories, not just adult games. Those Devs made a ton of cash, and their English is barely comprehensible. ;)

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well doubt that dev gets all that money after steam's cut to himself since government wants it share and unless he did everything by himself then needs to pay to others.

Kvafflem

Apr 4, 2023
that bug will be fixed in our next game :p
It's a shame that there is no harem route. I am looking forward for your next game. I played Sunshine love when it had just one chapter and was hoping for a harem tag in the future. So many gorgeous women in the game, it really breaks my heart to not be able to give them all the attention they deserve. Speaking of which, are your models created in Daz? They seem somewhat different, more beautiful than what a lot of other games using Daz have.
About your signature: If you don't mind me asking, what's up with Patreon rules in regards to having an official Discord server? I've never heard about something like that.

• Sad
Reactions: _Gaalec_

Hyperserver

Donor
Jun 30, 2018
It's a shame that there is no harem route. I am looking forward for your next game. I played Sunshine love when it had just one chapter and was hoping for a harem tag in the future. So many gorgeous women in the game, it really breaks my heart to not be able to give them all the attention they deserve. Speaking of which, are your models created in Daz? They seem somewhat different, more beautiful than what a lot of other games using Daz have.
About your signature: If you don't mind me asking, what's up with Patreon rules in regards to having an official Discord server? I've never heard about something like that.
on discord there are posts, talk and content which violates Patreon's ToS.
According to these ToS we are not allowed to link to any such platforms violating the ToS - so we aren't allowed to create or host any Discord server which contains material about DMD for example. So we decided NOT to maintain any official Discord, but people are free to create a fan based Server. (*wink)

• Haha
Reactions: cxx and Exocrine
3.50 star(s) 269 Votes