RemoraDFC

Dec 7, 2017
I would not say the game is abandoned. The developer is working on 2 projects, but still is putting work into this one. 0.44.04 came out July 29. There was also polls on Patreon at that time to vote on next location and character. Work continues. We all need some patience and faith.

Reactions: Allan Trumbull

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
I would not say the game is abandoned. The developer is working on 2 projects, but still is putting work into this one. 0.44.04 came out July 29. There was also polls on Patreon at that time to vote on next location and character. Work continues. We all need some patience and faith.
No. The dev has stated on his discord that the next update (originally planned for Nov release) will the last for this project (barring some potential minor tweaks if he sees the need).

He is still going to be working on two projects: Loser and a sequel to this one using a different game engine.

I posted his message higher in the thread.

Last edited:

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
So, the question is now... is anyone even planning on expanding SuperPowered?

All the mods we've seen so far is aesthetics and "remove NTR"... I use the quotes loosely.

React with facepalm if you enjoy the "ntr" aspects like me.
Somewhat hard to do. The dev hasn't provided (nor should there be an expectation he will) the models for the characters. At least one of the mods has done a pretty good job of building out a few extra scenes, but that's probably about as far as it can be pushed.

the_high_king

Jul 16, 2017
Somewhat hard to do. The dev hasn't provided (nor should there be an expectation he will) the models for the characters. At least one of the mods has done a pretty good job of building out a few extra scenes, but that's probably about as far as it can be pushed.
Yeah, I noticed the same. He mentions letting others expand but I haven't seen any source files provided.

It was fun while it lasted though. I was really looking forward to corrupting and infiltrating the superheroes themselves.

HillDweller

Mar 31, 2020
Frankly, the models and lighting are kinda crap for 2021 standards.
There's about 12k images so fat chance we'll see them all redone, but at least for new content, I wouldn't mind visual inconsistency for better quality.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
Frankly, the models and lighting are kinda crap for 2021 standards.
There's about 12k images so fat chance we'll see them all redone, but at least for new content, I wouldn't mind visual inconsistency for better quality.
That's something the dev is already toying with. He's been posting gen-8 versions of some of the npcs on the discord. He has the decided advantage of knowing what base models, augmentations, and tweaks were used to generate the original models though.

Someone else putting in the time for an effectively non-canon extension is pretty unlikely much as I'd like it myself.

Reactions: HillDweller

Wistil

Sep 9, 2018

Hey people I'm alive. I got back to Austin a few weeks ago after a very shitty week+ in Amarillo. I have been trying to figure out how to write this up...but it'd probably be easier for me to just say it plain. SP is killing me. I dread working on it. I hate the amount of spaghetti code I've made in it. Working on it is a serious pain in the ass, the ephasis of the game is a nightmare for me, since it requires a lot of writing(something I find very draining), and feature creep has made creating a new character a monumental effort. These are all issues that new Devs face...but new Devs eventually start new projects with much fewer of these problems. I've been roughing this out for probably 2 years longer than I should have. Now...I want to be clear...I didn't do all this world building just to fuck off. I still love night city and the SuperPowered world....I'm just done fighting with the mess that is SP. And a lot of this has to do with Ren'py.
I've come to loathe Ren'py as a gaming engine. It's great for VN's, but it is not suited for what I want it to do. The game is ugly and clunky, the images are too small and pretty desturated due the process I have to run them through to reduce thier size, and modifying the UI in anyway is a goddamn nightmare for me. Some people are good with co-ordinate based UI work. I am not. I need a visual editor. For 2 weeks before I left, I'd been in a state of writer paralysis....And a huge part of it is just how much I'm burned out with this game, and how much of it is due to structural problems. Granted those structural problems I made...but I did make them years ago when I had no clue what I was doing. The game is so big at this point Refactoring it would take longer than just starting over. So...I've decided to Start over. Not completely though.
I plan to make an SP2 in Unity. Sorry for all you Ren'py fans. I'm not completely ditching the Ren'py version either. I'll still be leaving it open for people to add to, and I'll still be adding some content to it from time to time to make the transition from one game to the other a little smoother. I will be figureing out a way to transfer your progress from SP1 over. This is something I have to do. I started tinkering with the idea last month when I started working on Gen8 versions of Maggie, and it's just been festering the entire time I've been struggeling to write. It's nothing but torture to try to write decent dialogue for something you have absolutely no inspiration in. I've just made the characters too manditorily complex, which has really burned out my creativity for the project. Making every character have all these intricate and distinct interactions is great...but making them required to creating a character....is draining. There's something to the effect of 12 base states for every character, with that number being multiplied for some characters. It's just too much writing/rendering/and coding. I need to cut those manditory base states down to like 5 or 6, and then add in the intricacies in other ways. I also need to put more emphasis on game and less on writing. Loser is a pretty good model for me in this aspect. I made SP very narrative driven in part because when I started, It took me 6 hours to render an image, so I tried to compensate for the low image count, with dialogue. I don't really need to do that anymore, but it's built into the structure of the characters now. So yeah....I'm gonna be working on a streamlined SP2 in unity. I'm gonna be focusing more on the Superhero/villain stuff, and adding in the support cast as I go. I will continue to work in the Ren'py version for a while to finish what's already in the game, but I don't plan to go much further beyond where we are now in terms of story.
I had to stop working on the Ren'py version for a bit, just to get over this block I have with it currently, So I've started development on Loser. I will be putting out one more Ren'py SP update in the nearish future, but I'm not pushing myself to insanity anymore over that game, so it's taking a backseat to Loser, SP2, and my own sanity. I hope you all can understand. Bit I am also sympathetic if you don't.
Anywho...Let's stasrt this year off right shall we!
Loser:
I've been working on Loser for about a week, and here's what I've gotten done so far.
Introduction Scene
New Downtown Location: Boutique
New Job: Cashier
Temporary Reputation Modifiers
Purchaseable/Giftable outfits for characters (these are scene specific. Don't expect everything to be rerendered just for a new outfit.)
New Location: Stripclub
I'll begin working on Diane just a bit later tonight. And tomorrow I'll be doing my end of month stream. So here's what the future looks like for. I'll work on Loser through January, and release near the end of Febuary. During that Time, I'll be working on A new AT for Diane, Becky, Gina, Jesse, Tilley(probably), and a second AT for Diane(if time permits).
Once Loser's done, I'll be focusing full time on SP2. I expect to have a working Tech Demo out within 2 weeks and hopefully have the 0.01.00 finished by the end of the first dev Cycle.
So yeah
TLDR- SP1 has ran it's course. SP2 is on the way. Loser is already in Dev. End of Month Stream this weekend.

Johny Alfa

Oct 7, 2017

I've come to loathe Ren'py as a gaming engine. It's great for VN's, but it is not suited for what I want it to do.

Purchaseable/Giftable outfits for characters (these are scene specific. Don't expect everything to be rerendered just for a new outfit.)
On Ren'py. I also think unity is much more advanced, professional looking environment, but I've seen couple of projects where they abused ren'py beyond recognition to level I never thought its possible; in a good way. The last example in my mind it's super Alex's projects the Lucky Mark and Amnesia, but there are few others I cant name right now. That's not a criticism just a thought, I'm well aware its huge differences between games and what possible for someone can be impossible for others (damn you Usian Bolt).

On writer's block, have you ever considered to involve, delegate to others. Its might not in your budget to hire university students with literature major who usually keen to write all kind of stuff. But you could make some competition across fans and might find somebody who willing to help for free and good enough to consider.

On looser gift. Well it's sounds a bit disappointing. I hoped that's the full point of AT if we give new cloth/underwear/swim wear that's most likely only suitable for that one AT personality/body shape. So wont get carried over the game and drags a multiplier on every future scene, so it gives you a bit more freedom. As even is involve most scenes of that one At is still very limited amount of renders needs to be doubled. But we shall see you usually manage this kind of things very well.

Reactions: HillDweller

Scion

May 18, 2017
This is a game I used to sub too. And it's situations like these that caused me to burn out on Patreon. I wasn't paying for Loser. I was supporting Baal to complete SP.

Now? I will be rather surprised if that ever happens. Migrating over to Unity for "SP2" sounds fine in theory. That being said, there is a preponderance of evidence showing that creators rarely bring a project to the finish line once they start deviating.

Suppose I'll check back in 2023 to see if he is one of the outliers that tries to redeem himself.

Deleted member 361485

Jan 4, 2018
I am happy and excited by this announcement - he can continue the story from SP1, and actually have a project that has legs.

This was destined to happen, this huge type of RPG he set out, with every fucking fetish imaginable, dozens of characters, hundreds of events, evil/good alignment, a combat system etc etc. This game was growing exponentially, not linearly - which means it had to at some point be abandoned.

Excited to see this vision refreshed in another engine.

GammaRay

Nov 5, 2017
Sadly not surprisingly that you plan to bail out ...starting the other game was already showing that you lost the interest on SP.

I don't think changing the game engine will really help you.. as long as you plan to continue using a visual novel like presentation. You quickly will realize that you gain control on the one side but lose them on the other side and you need to generate code for many many things you get "free" in Renpy.

I guess you problem is simply .... yeah work is boring .. you lost interest in your own game as you start to add to many NPCs for whom you need to generate exactly the same interactions as for all others. That's a problem i personly have as well.. i need to follow my personal fetches/interests or i'am quickly bored. (e.g. i wouldn't add anything anal or watersporty .. i don't like that fetch and i hate to code things for stuff i don't like.)

If you now start over with SP2 .. i will give you less than 10% chance to generate something remotely as good as SP but feel free to surprise us, i would really love that .. and gimmy more possibilities to fuck my sister and coat her white :)

3.20 star(s) 140 Votes