4.40 star(s) 33 Votes

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017

So uh, ToU's main script file got kinda corrupted... and I need feedback on how to proceed

• Red Heart
Reactions: SardanticDecay

Dragoon420

Aug 24, 2020
I'll do my best to make this long wait worth it, alongside doing my best to make Project: Jericho the best possible experience
i would have to say iv been waitting and waitting but now i this if your having problems with curpted informating or it just gone
i would say work on TOU for now and get it back where you feel comftable to work on both of games again

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
When is Part 3 coming ?
Most likely sometime in 2023.

The recent blog on Patreon has these lines: And well, I came to a conclusion, I decided to set ToU aside for a bit, until I feel like booting it up again. It honestly wasn't an easy choice, but it's also the best thing possible, I realize that I'm a bit burnt out on it for now .

So I'm guessing sometime in 2023.

KnuckleDragger79

Sep 4, 2020
Most likely sometime in 2023.

The recent blog on Patreon has these lines: And well, I came to a conclusion, I decided to set ToU aside for a bit, until I feel like booting it up again. It honestly wasn't an easy choice, but it's also the best thing possible, I realize that I'm a bit burnt out on it for now .

So I'm guessing sometime in 2023.
If you read his Patreon, it sounds more like the game is "On-Hold Indefinitely". It could be tomorrow, or it could be 3-4 years from now. All we can do is hurry up and wait.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
If you read his Patreon, it sounds more like the game is "On-Hold Indefinitely". It could be tomorrow, or it could be 3-4 years from now. All we can do is hurry up and wait.
It does sound like it, but I do have some faith that it will be continued.

Stronk isn't a milker like Bluecat or Braindrop so when he said burn out I gave him the benefit of the doubt and guessed 2023.

But hey, I'm just some loser on the internet so I could be completely wrong. For all I know, which isn't a lot, Project Jericho could be a huge hit and force ToU to be abandoned or Stronk could win the French version of the lottery and tell all of us to go fuck ourselves while he relaxes on his yacht off the French Riviera, sipping champagne, and fucking supermodels. Who knows what will happen.

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
I understand how someone could think that I'm done with ToU itself.
Afterall, we've all seen countless devs follow the same pattern of getting a new project up and absolutly forgetting about the 1st one.

In my case things are a bit different, will ToU's 0.11 come out within 6 month ?
I'd say it's pretty likely.
I won't lie that I'm burned out on using Koi, and on following a fantasy setting, atleast for now, I've been suggested to write the story in a novel form with few renders and perhaps only animations, just to get the end of the story out there even if it would end the story, I'd rather keep the idea of writing everything like a book as a last resort.
If Project: Jericho ends up being a massive success, I'll of course allocate a lot more time to it but I refuse to let ToU die for it, mostly because Project: Jericho & ToU are not without links.

They happen in the same universes but Project: Jericho happens in a more or less distant future.
Tales of Unity needs to atleast have it's story and endings completed to unravel every bit of story of P:J, starting a certain Project: Jericho update I'll need to get some of ToU's story out because one of ToU's ending leads to Project: Jericho canonically.

It's a bit of a risk to link two projects while keeping them very different from one another but it's something that has been reflected upon for a long time.

KnuckleDragger79

Sep 4, 2020
It does sound like it, but I do have some faith that it will be continued.

Stronk isn't a milker like Bluecat or Braindrop so when he said burn out I gave him the benefit of the doubt and guessed 2023.

But hey, I'm just some loser on the internet so I could be completely wrong. For all I know, which isn't a lot, Project Jericho could be a huge hit and force ToU to be abandoned or Stronk could win the French version of the lottery and tell all of us to go fuck ourselves while he relaxes on his yacht off the French Riviera, sipping champagne, and fucking supermodels. Who knows what will happen.
Oh I know! Lol I'm not saying it's Abandoned. Indefinitely just means he doesn't know when he is going to start up again. It's not a permanent On-Hold. Lol Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that it was Abandoned. I know it's not.

KnuckleDragger79

Sep 4, 2020
I understand how someone could think that I'm done with ToU itself.
Afterall, we've all seen countless devs follow the same pattern of getting a new project up and absolutly forgetting about the 1st one.

In my case things are a bit different, will ToU's 0.11 come out within 6 month ?
I'd say it's pretty likely.
I won't lie that I'm burned out on using Koi, and on following a fantasy setting, atleast for now, I've been suggested to write the story in a novel form with few renders and perhaps only animations, just to get the end of the story out there even if it would end the story, I'd rather keep the idea of writing everything like a book as a last resort.
If Project: Jericho ends up being a massive success, I'll of course allocate a lot more time to it but I refuse to let ToU die for it, mostly because Project: Jericho & ToU are not without links.

They happen in the same universes but Project: Jericho happens in a more or less distant future.
Tales of Unity needs to atleast have it's story and endings completed to unravel every bit of story of P:J, starting a certain Project: Jericho update I'll need to get some of ToU's story out because one of ToU's ending leads to Project: Jericho canonically.

It's a bit of a risk to link two projects while keeping them very different from one another but it's something that has been reflected upon for a long time.
I wouldn't mind if the story goes to a "book" feel and way of presentation. I would like it to stay with Koi if at all possible. I have seen many games fail because the Dev when from Koi to HS 2 in the middle of the game and it just ruined the game (See: Long Lost Daughter).

Reactions: Stronkboi

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
I wouldn't mind if the story goes to a "book" feel and way of presentation. I would like it to stay with Koi if at all possible. I have seen many games fail because the Dev when from Koi to HS 2 in the middle of the game and it just ruined the game (See: Long Lost Daughter).
Oh I won't switch engine midgame, that's just not right, it cuts every ties with the game's world, no ToU will be Koi only the same way Project: Jericho is HS2 only

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
Where can I download the first part ?
The 1st part is included in the 2nd part
Y'know I think I'll build the latest Beta for ToU, the very very small one and reelease it to the public with the name "0.10.5" so I can stop confusing people with parts

Reactions: M1K3_0

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
So uh, ToU's main script file got kinda corrupted... and I need feedback on how to proceed
Hey Stronk. No criticism, because this has happened to me a few times before I learned, but I've become fanatical about making backups of my work. Get a cheap external drive, write a script in batch, python, or just drag and drop in explorer, and backup eveything regularly. Make a calendar reminder on your phone to back-up once a week, or more often depending on how much you want to avoid redoing. Put a backup icon on your desktop and click on it when you are done for the day. Write the script to zip up everything and name it with today's date so you have a running history. If you want an example of a batch script, PM me, and I'll send you one where all you need to do is fill in the source directory and destination directory in the batch file and voilla.

Also, every 2 weeks zip up everything and upload it to a free cloud service, Google Drive, MS Onedrive, or similar, every 2 weeks or so, in case you have a power surge and your PC and external drive goes bad. Best not to leave the drive plugged in until you are ready to backup.

Storage is cheap, so when you backup to your 1+ TB external drive, make a new backup, don't overwrite the old one, so if you screw up something and don't notice, you have older backups from previous weeks to fall back on.

Also, if you want to get more sophisticated, you can install free snapshotting software like TortoiseSVN that will make a snapshot of your working directory every hour or so, so it's nearly impossible to lose much if files get corrupted or deleted.

The key now is don't stress about it, and try not to be too hard on yourself. Anyone that has worked with computers for any length of time for their work, has had that cold sinking feeling when they realize something they worked on is lost.

I for one enjoyed Tales of Unity for the story, but it was getting to where it looked like wrapping it up would be the best option. I am not a fan, generally, of KK images either, so moving to HS2, with your new game will make a much better product. I prefer realism to cartoon-style images, personally. And I think most fans of AVNs agree. It is incredible what can be done with HS2, with no rendering (see Pale Carnations, anything from Caribdis, and as you mentioned in your previous post, Ripples and Oppai).

I know it is a pain, but think of it as an opportunity to rethink your plans. Plus, redoing a script file is a lot quicker than rerendering everything. Since you wrote it once, the dialog will come back to you quickly. So when you are in the mood to start back up with TOU, in a few weeks or a month or so, I bet you can catch up in a few additional weeks, more or less, to what you had before.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
I wish the WT mod had options to see both/all scenes, quite a few mods have those kind of options, it's way easier to play through the game with that, but now I need to go back to earlier saves to see all of Chumee's and Elise's content, as you apparently can't follow both their routes from the start, I know that changes from CH2 onwards, so unless it's planned to rework CH1 to allow people to follow both their routes without missing a single scene, it should be included in the WT mod.

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
Smarmint I'm glad that you managed to enjoy the game enough to get over the graphical aspect of the game, thank you for giving it a fair shot.
The main issue with the data loss was that it was actually manual, I probably pressed ctrl+a & delete or something and saved over it because I'm unironically an idiot.
But I do take care of the script now, I check twice to see if everything is saved up nicely, thanks for your concern.

I wish the WT mod had options to see both/all scenes, quite a few mods have those kind of options, it's way easier to play through the game with that, but now I need to go back to earlier saves to see all of Chumee's and Elise's content, as you apparently can't follow both their routes from the start, I know that changes from CH2 onwards, so unless it's planned to rework CH1 to allow people to follow both their routes without missing a single scene, it should be included in the WT mod.
Every scene is unlocked in the gallery, atleast from chapter 1 to counter the "route" vibe the first chapter had I don't know what I was thinking.
I don't take care of the WT mod unfortunatly, you'll have to interact with it's dev.

Riltom

Oct 2, 2018

I dont know how the VN making software works but cant you have it connected to github?
it would have prevented such problems, especialy if it worked like VScode where you can commit and update your files with a single click.

Kargan3033

Jan 2, 2020
I'm going to give this game ago, but I don't see any links for part 1 of this game, can anyone provide a link to part 1?

Thanks in advance.

4.40 star(s) 33 Votes