4.40 star(s) 33 Votes

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017

A new public devblog is available, please read it and vote it is very important to setup my development road.

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019

A new public devblog is available, please read it and vote it is very important to setup my development road.
Stronk, after reading your post and looking at your poll, I'd like to give you my two cents on the subject. Firstly, the quality of your work is not holding you back. Your story is interesting, and the artwork is equal to many projects that are 'successful'.

However, you yourself identified in the post the reason for your lack of greater success (in my opinion) while leaving it out of the poll. Consistency. I've followed more than a few games on this site, and it doesn't seem to matter for donation success whether you put out a lot of small updates really fast, or bigger updates on a 2-3 month rotation. What matters is that you can be relied on to deliver on some sort of schedule, and that the updates be of similar length and quality each time.

There's no mechanism in place to protect people who donate to the development of these games' money, and so many people see erratic updates as dangerous - they can't be sure they'll feel like they're "getting what they paid for". One month they might get an update, then they might have to wait three or four, but they're still paying the same amount either way - it makes it hard to justify the cost.

If you want to grow your pool of donations, you need to find a release schedule that works for you, and stick to it. And you need to do so with similar quality and length updates each release, and you need to show that you can do that for a while. I'm not saying this to criticize how you've been doing things. I know you're very serious about making a finished project. These comments are just based on my observations of how other games have built a good pool of funding.

I hope your VN succeeds, as I am enjoying it immensely.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
I'll throw my two cents in as well.

This part:

What do my players want to see from me.

Faster releases ?

Bigger releases ?

Perhaps more infos about Project Jericho ?

Hell how about a Project Jericho Alpha followed by a public build down in reasonable delay ?

Or perhaps you'd prefer having a bit more art like the one I did a few days back while waiting for a public release ?

I'll be blunt but honest. Me personally, I don't care if it takes 4 months to deliver. I don't care about teasers, or art, or pinups. The one thing, only one thing, is consistent releases. I've been here long enough to see all kinds of developers and I gotta say that the two that bother me the most are the ones that never release anything, all the while promising they will, and continue milking their patrons. The other ones that bother me are the ones that announce release dates 3 or 4 times and delay every single time. Stop giving dates if you never reach it. I'm fine with long wait times but fucking stop with the release dates that never come. Just tell people it'll be done when its done. If that is 4 months, then so be it. (Yes, I know life gets in the way so delays are inevitable.)

If you want more people to come to Patreon, you'll need to do some advertising and also some changes. People don't like to subscribe to a developer only to be told that the update is delayed for the 5th time or that the developer is working on other games instead of the one they subscribed for. When people see developers start working on other games before the 1st is finished they take it as a sign that the 1st is abandoned and they usually leave. Some stay, but most go. I know that developers need to take breaks to prevent burn out but I'm saying what we as a consumer see. Also, people like to be kept in the loop. Dev blogs are a good thing, in some cases. (I've seen some where the developer is giving out blogs even though they haven't released anything for two years.) Keeps people informed. Maybe you could do a graph that some developers do. Shows the percentage of renders, code, script, etc etc. Just something to show people that work is being done.

Just my two cents. I like you Stronk. You made a great game that I'd love to see finished. A large family with Chumee is all I need. (Reading back now it looks like I am attacking Stronk but I can assure you I'm not.)

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
I think when people are being billed monthly they should see a 4-6 week update at the most. Anything shorter than 4 weeks is just going to be too small to be worth it for anyone. But paying 4 months for a single update is just too long.

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
Stronk, after reading your post and looking at your poll, I'd like to give you my two cents on the subject. Firstly, the quality of your work is not holding you back. Your story is interesting, and the artwork is equal to many projects that are 'successful'.

However, you yourself identified in the post the reason for your lack of greater success (in my opinion) while leaving it out of the poll. Consistency. I've followed more than a few games on this site, and it doesn't seem to matter for donation success whether you put out a lot of small updates really fast, or bigger updates on a 2-3 month rotation. What matters is that you can be relied on to deliver on some sort of schedule, and that the updates be of similar length and quality each time.

There's no mechanism in place to protect people who donate to the development of these games' money, and so many people see erratic updates as dangerous - they can't be sure they'll feel like they're "getting what they paid for". One month they might get an update, then they might have to wait three or four, but they're still paying the same amount either way - it makes it hard to justify the cost.

If you want to grow your pool of donations, you need to find a release schedule that works for you, and stick to it. And you need to do so with similar quality and length updates each release, and you need to show that you can do that for a while. I'm not saying this to criticize how you've been doing things. I know you're very serious about making a finished project. These comments are just based on my observations of how other games have built a good pool of funding.

I hope your VN succeeds, as I am enjoying it immensely.
I'll throw my two cents in as well.

This part:

What do my players want to see from me.

Faster releases ?

Bigger releases ?

Perhaps more infos about Project Jericho ?

Hell how about a Project Jericho Alpha followed by a public build down in reasonable delay ?

Or perhaps you'd prefer having a bit more art like the one I did a few days back while waiting for a public release ?

I'll be blunt but honest. Me personally, I don't care if it takes 4 months to deliver. I don't care about teasers, or art, or pinups. The one thing, only one thing, is consistent releases. I've been here long enough to see all kinds of developers and I gotta say that the two that bother me the most are the ones that never release anything, all the while promising they will, and continue milking their patrons. The other ones that bother me are the ones that announce release dates 3 or 4 times and delay every single time. Stop giving dates if you never reach it. I'm fine with long wait times but fucking stop with the release dates that never come. Just tell people it'll be done when its done. If that is 4 months, then so be it. (Yes, I know life gets in the way so delays are inevitable.)

If you want more people to come to Patreon, you'll need to do some advertising and also some changes. People don't like to subscribe to a developer only to be told that the update is delayed for the 5th time or that the developer is working on other games instead of the one they subscribed for. When people see developers start working on other games before the 1st is finished they take it as a sign that the 1st is abandoned and they usually leave. Some stay, but most go. I know that developers need to take breaks to prevent burn out but I'm saying what we as a consumer see. Also, people like to be kept in the loop. Dev blogs are a good thing, in some cases. (I've seen some where the developer is giving out blogs even though they haven't released anything for two years.) Keeps people informed. Maybe you could do a graph that some developers do. Shows the percentage of renders, code, script, etc etc. Just something to show people that work is being done.

Just my two cents. I like you Stronk. You made a great game that I'd love to see finished. A large family with Chumee is all I need. (Reading back now it looks like I am attacking Stronk but I can assure you I'm not.)
I think for most of my time I took the problem the wrong way I felt like I needed to put out updates faster than bigger, and the poll reflects that.
I'm grateful for the feedback friends, it's desperately needed lately, if people want a chunky update, I'll do my best to deliver one, I wanted to release sort of like Arc, micro updates every two weeks, but I think people might prefer a large update even if it takes more time.

When is part 3 update coming this month or june ?
0.11 will come out in the coming month for sure.
Right now he is working on a second game, Project Jericho. So probably more realistically around September/October.
As I said Project: Jericho right now is more of a side project, basically when I'm done playing around with Fantasy I fiddle around in HS2, but for now Tales of Unity is still my first project and I allocate 70% of my development time as small as it is to it!

I think when people are being billed monthly they should see a 4-6 week update at the most. Anything shorter than 4 weeks is just going to be too small to be worth it for anyone. But paying 4 months for a single update is just too long.
That's a fair assessement, but I think people overall made themselves clear, they'd rather large updates no matter how long so that's what I'll focus on.

I want to go back to my monthly / bimonthly schedule at one point, back from 0.1 to 0.6 I was able to release a very large update every 2 month at most !
And that's what I'm aiming for right now.

__

Consider that I began working actively on 0.11 today the beta I posted a few weeks back is but a fraction of what 0.11 is supposed to be.
I'll post more devblog, I'm quite happy with the flow of posts I made lately so I'll keep at it while working, thanks a lot for all the feedback !

Reactions: Burgh917

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
As I said Project: Jericho right now is more of a side project, basically when I'm done playing around with Fantasy I fiddle around in HS2, but for now Tales of Unity is still my first project and I allocate 70% of my development time as small as it is to it!
Ah ok. From memory I thought you were working on one project at a time, not at the same time. My mistake.

StrifeSan

May 31, 2022
@[B]Stronkboi[/B] i enjoyed the game, chumee is my fav. after getting to the end i check the gallery and i missed 2 sex scenes with her, thxs for the unlocked gallery. the things i would like to see happen is a option or patch to make vanessa mc's real sister(maybe the mom can be added) and lou can summon a futa cock to get freaky with the girls(mc could join the fun or fuck lou while futa mode is on).

Reactions: Wesieboy56

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
@[B]Stronkboi[/B] i enjoyed the game, chumee is my fav. after getting to the end i check the gallery and i missed 2 sex scenes with her, thxs for the unlocked gallery. the things i would like to see happen is a option or patch to make vanessa mc's real sister(maybe the mom can be added) and lou can summon a futa cock to get freaky with the girls(mc could join the fun or fuck lou while futa mode is on).
I'm super glad that you enjoyed the game chief.
I personally won't do anything related to Incest, ToU cannonically doesn't contain any form of incest and will never do, so if a patch ever pops up for it, well it'll be from a fan (Making MC Vanessa's sister is probably the best way to make the story have no sense though)

As for the futa content, you see as a dev I have a lot of people following my work, Futa is something I enjoy futa on futa / Male on futa / or futa on female.
The thing is Futa is a bit of a niche fetish which might be a dealbreaker for some people, so I'd rather not add futa and keep ToU sorta vanilla to please a wider audience and preserve the characters.

StrifeSan

May 31, 2022
I'm super glad that you enjoyed the game chief.
I personally won't do anything related to Incest, ToU cannonically doesn't contain any form of incest and will never do, so if a patch ever pops up for it, well it'll be from a fan (Making MC Vanessa's sister is probably the best way to make the story have no sense though)

As for the futa content, you see as a dev I have a lot of people following my work, Futa is something I enjoy futa on futa / Male on futa / or futa on female.
The thing is Futa is a bit of a niche fetish which might be a dealbreaker for some people, so I'd rather not add futa and keep ToU sorta vanilla to please a wider audience and preserve the characters.
np i understand, people enjoy some tags, some dont. thxs for the reply. maybe mc goes down on chumee sisters and breeds the whole family, i got it bad for goblins. havent really find too many games with good female goblin content.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Karnewarrior

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
I believe banging all three gobolins at the same time was planned at one point early on. I assume it got fridged because of Patreon or just not working

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
I believe banging all three gobolins at the same time was planned at one point early on. I assume it got fridged because of Patreon or just not working
It's more of a Patreon issue, I really don't want to get on the orange fellas' bad sides.
So Chumee's sister WILL get content, but I don't think they will ever be together during it, hence why I created 3 more gobbos with Trixxee, Thelsy, and Carmine coming in 0.11.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
It would be horrible if some anonymous user who is definitely not the dev would release a mod that added patreon-blocked content to the game, like sister threesomes or such. Why, people might have a wank to some goblin incest, and come away from things so confused they'd thank the dev for the mod, which they clearly did not provide.

Yeah, sure would be horrible if someone were to do that.

BFC 78

Jan 23, 2022
hi Stronkboi I fell in love with all of the girls in the tales of unity and in the last update I found out what happened to poor Chumee what I saw made my heart sank then flashes all her memory of MC and her love for him made me tear up and then I thought there was no hope to poor Chumee being saved than that one hell of a plot twist and Iam so looking forward to see more of Chumee storyline and all other girls storyline too
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
when is next update might be PS Stronkboi please don't send Chumee after me I'm a lover not a fighter and I rather try to give Chmee a little green baby and all her sisters :LOL: :love:

Last edited:

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
hi Stronkboi I fell in love with all of the girls in the tales of unity and in the last update I found out what happened to poor Chumee what I saw made my heart sank then flashes all her memory of MC and her love for him made me tear up and then I thought there was no hope to poor Chumee being saved than that one hell of a plot twist and Iam so looking forward to see more of Chumee storyline and all other girls storyline too
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
when is next update might be PS Stronkboi please don't send Chumee after me I'm a lover not a fighter and I rather try to give Chmee a little green baby and all her sisters :LOL: :love:
Hey !
First of all, super glad that you enjoyed your time, especially the las t bit with chumee, making a morally complex scene is a bit tough because some people might feel disgusted or disappointed when wholesome goes to a darker theme.
As for the Incest I'll repeat it, but I won't dip a single finger in it, if fans want to add incest through patches it's not my back.
ToU's story has no incest and if it started to have incest the story would crumble as most of the final plot twist are locked behind family bound, the origin of the MC being one of the main reveal.
As for Futa, I doubt it'll happen, it's a bit too niche even if I enjoy it a lot of others might not.

I can't give a proper release date unfortunately, as I mentioned on patreon a while back, I'm sorta working IRL lately, so I'm REALLY spread thin as I barely have any time to work (I already was working very slowly)
Beta 1 might come before the end of the month for 10$ patrons
Alongside Project Jericho's 1st Alpha.

Again I'm glad that you appreciated the story and I have a lot more to tell even if it takes a lot of time to be put together and updated.

Reactions: CursedFlame91

BFC 78

Jan 23, 2022
Hey !
First of all, super glad that you enjoyed your time, especially the las t bit with chumee, making a morally complex scene is a bit tough because some people might feel disgusted or disappointed when wholesome goes to a darker theme.
As for the Incest I'll repeat it, but I won't dip a single finger in it, if fans want to add incest through patches it's not my back.
ToU's story has no incest and if it started to have incest the story would crumble as most of the final plot twist are locked behind family bound, the origin of the MC being one of the main reveal.
As for Futa, I doubt it'll happen, it's a bit too niche even if I enjoy it a lot of others might not.

I can't give a proper release date unfortunately, as I mentioned on patreon a while back, I'm sorta working IRL lately, so I'm REALLY spread thin as I barely have any time to work (I already was working very slowly)
Beta 1 might come before the end of the month for 10$ patrons
Alongside Project Jericho's 1st Alpha.

Again I'm glad that you appreciated the story and I have a lot more to tell even if it takes a lot of time to be put together and updated.
Stronkboi thank you for replying to me and sad to hear you're really busy and I love to help you but unfortunately no experience with making games and my typing skills is complete shit and oh hell I don't know how hard it is to make a game but I still truly want to help you and sorry I add the incest part to be funny and Stronkboi keep on doing it your way

lionarslan

Jun 11, 2017
0.11 will come out in the coming month for sure.
Hi, Stronkboi. 8th of May you said that, July is ending now. I don't wanna haste you or point you to your words but I really like your game and I think I miss the next update for quite a long time. Of course, you're a dev and a sole creator of Tales of Unity but we, players, really want to play the next update. I hope you're doing well.

4.40 star(s) 33 Votes