Ren'Py Abandoned Teacher's Pets [v2.06.1] [irredeemable]

3.20 star(s) 40 Votes

SubtleHustle

May 11, 2017
I enjoyed this game while it was in active development. Damn patreon to hell for enforcing those stupid rules and that strict community guidelines bitch that kept flagging the game. But yet he still has a patreon account.

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Patreon's fault in that the game was abandoned. Sure they threw some rocks, but the last nail in the coffin wasn't that nothing could be done, but that nothig could be done right that actually worked.

Clyde Glavine

Aug 14, 2017
The dev just gave up. The Patreon thing was stupid and annoying but lots of other devs were able to work around it. I suspect he got a day job and didn't have time for it any more.

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
Possibly, but more likely is that he didn't do anything for months, then tried to sloppily cut out content that Patreon didn't like and then didn't bother to really fix it. I remember that some kind of pre pre pre alpha shit surfaced and it was a complete mess, same with the version that later actually got released and after that there was only one other post about a new girl and the rest is history.

Clyde Glavine

Aug 14, 2017
I'm talking about the Why, not the What. For months he regularly released significant updates on schedule. At its peak his Patreon was pulling in well over $7,000 per month. That's a living wage in most places even after Patreon takes their cut. He was getting paid a full time salary just to make one game. Why would he suddenly start half assing it, then walk away entirely? I think he just found something more lucrative and that took up his time, but that's just my theory.

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
What I told you is the why, he didn't do anything of worth for some time, then panicked when his "cut out unwanted stuff" didn't work and instead of dealing with the consequences (grumpy patrons and shit) he got the hell out of dodge. For some time his folks were like "That's not what we tested back then" when the latest mess of an update was released, so probably nobody really knows what went down, most of it was just hearsay and since the mods purged the thread shortly after that the posts aren't there anymore either.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
What I think is probably pretty close to Lotex' explanation. I mean, not only was the dev raking in money, he was doing a good quality game with great humor and stuff like that. But many people will underestimate what it means to be self employed and under your own schedule for months, if not years. It is tough to start with, but then inevitably slumps will come - writer's block, a few weeks of holidays (okay) with a struggle for getting back on track afterwards (problem), and so on. But even without that it is difficult to keep going - nobody scolds you if you take a day off. Or two. Or seven. But then the deadline approaches ...

Clyde Glavine

Aug 14, 2017
When he "got the hell out of dodge" he walked away from more than $80,000/year in patronage. I'm skeptical that grumpy patrons and writer's block were enough to make him do that. But I guess we'll never know.

Reactions: lewdman89

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
When he "got the hell out of dodge" he walked away from more than $80,000/year in patronage. I'm skeptical that grumpy patrons and writer's block were enough to make him do that. But I guess we'll never know.
Yeah, he was also supposedly hacked 2 or 3 times by some jealous dev whose game didn't take off like his did, home network and everything included. Shit piled up like it does with Gumdrop, it was completely ridiculous back the.
He also didn't just walk away from it, he just let everything run dry over at least a year.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I don't know whether it was the case her, but being unable to achieve a (self set or otherwise) goal for an extended period of time and having to explain it can put a huge psychological pressure on you. Add to that that self employed have to find a balance, which many cannot (in both directions, some get too lazy, some work too hard) and a breakdown can occur, where the 80k may still matter but also feel like an incredible weight on your life.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
The nopy link in the OP is dead
Use the 'report' button in he OP to bring this to the moderator's attention, so that they can get one of the uploaders on that, or just delete the link. That's what a moderator told me to do regarding a similar situation.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
not a loss since game is also dead and what is in game is not worth it to play.
Wouldn't say that, there is some nice humor in it. If you're here for sexytime, you'll be disappointed of course. But since this is quite a well known abandoned game, somebody might just want to play it to understand comments on other threads.

hasman49

Sep 19, 2017
Wouldn't say that, there is some nice humor in it. If you're here for sexytime, you'll be disappointed of course. But since this is quite a well known abandoned game, somebody might just want to play it to understand comments on other threads.
It use to be better. Many of the signature stuff this was known for was removed/altered in the last version released. The characters were attractive and the animations were on point. Also the character who was the most innocent, we had the most time with and for some reason the innocence sold it.
This experience would be the same as going to a strip club. All tease, but no payout.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It use to be better. Many of the signature stuff this was known for was removed/altered in the last version released. The characters were attractive and the animations were on point. Also the character who was the most innocent, we had the most time with and for some reason the innocence sold it.
This experience would be the same as going to a strip club. All tease, but no payout.
Well, I did not miss the drugging part, took away the build up and wasn't really made IMO.

But yeah, Meghan's storyline was the most advanced and the most promising. Although a corrupted pure student president also would have had potential. But alas ... Zoe was a nightmare in her one scene though.

str8up

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2020
still when they click thread they should see abandoned tag.

37 patrons won't give much.
i find alot of the abandoned games are by far better then 90% of the latest games...and if people are making comments on my posts then clearly im not the only playing them :)
ive followed a few suggestions and yeah i discovered what others said that the content just wasnt in game yet

3.20 star(s) 40 Votes