Zil Nalhir

Dec 23, 2017
At my current rate of progress, it'll be early to mid-March by the time I finish converting all of the content.

On the other hand, the Ren'py version does have several distinct advantages over the Twine version, including:

1) Some lingering bugs from the Twine version are fixed in the Ren'py version
2) The Ren'py version has a city map, backgrounds, and more character art. (I've commissioned several more pieces since stopping work on the Twine version, and even more are incoming.)
3) The Ren'py version has one brand-new, Patreon-only scene and an additional pregnancy type.

You don't have to choose one or the other. Try and enjoy both versions.
will the prego be only Patreon? or will that be public as well? and keep going your doing a good job but like i stated i wont play till the Bugs have been Neutralized XD

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
will the prego be only Patreon? or will that be public as well? and keep going your doing a good job but like i stated i wont play till the Bugs have been Neutralized XD
Fyi, about 90% of the game's content will always be free. There are already two kinds of pregnancy in the free version. The Patreon version adds a third.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
mouseguru How are you liking Renpy so far?
There are parts about it that I like, and parts that I don't like.

I like the fact that it manages saves, and after a little finagling, also handles game updates gracefully (meaning, I can fairly easily add variables, additional code, additional game data, etc., and have everything still work). I like the fact that I can automatically compile a "core" version and a "patreon-only" version without any manual fiddling.

I'm not crazy about the fact that layout is so incredibly fiddly. Yes, you can do a lot with it, but coming from an HTML/CSS background, you can't easily do "responsive" layouts that easily scale depending on the size of the game window.

I'm also not crazy about the seriously limited dialogue box at the bottom of the screen. I understand why it's only as big as it is (in order to not get in the way of the visuals that Ren'py expects to be present), but it spoils the flowery scenes I've more or less copied directly over from the old Twine version.

I've had a couple of people mention that Ren'py's dialogue isn't meant to be lengthy scene descriptions, but rather the kind of "stage directions" you might find in a screenplay. But, I'm too attached to the scenes the way they were already written for the Twine version, to simply discard them and rewrite them in more stilted form. Pending getting a LOT more background and character art to complement the dialogue, that is.

I did put up a Patreon poll, asking if my patrons wanted a bigger, scrollable dialogue for lengthy scenes, or if the current Ren'py dialogue was good enough. They mostly voted for "it's good enough."

Even so, the writer part of me died a little inside at being forced to stuff my wonderful descriptions into a tiny box. I'll get over it, though. :p

spam24601

Nov 14, 2017
This game is really unstable. Keep getting random errors just wandering about, like this when trying to build the garden:

```
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/main/house/my_house.rpy", line 30, in <module>
AttributeError: 'RevertableDict' object has no attribute 'knowsAbout'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "main/house/my_house.rpyc", line 16, in script
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode

```

Or this when trying to fuck Brin in the kitchen with the strap-on (I did have Felicia as well):

```

While running game code:
SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing (my_house_kitchen_sex.rpy, line 83)

Full traceback:
File "main/house/my_house_kitchen_sex.rpyc", line 79, in script
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\ast.py", line 1832, in execute
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\python.py", line 2057, in py_eval
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\python.py", line 692, in py_compile

```

When drinking Thorny Vine Tea:

```

While running game code:
File "game/main/house/my_house.rpy", line 44, in <module>
File "renpy/common/00action_other.rpy", line 537, in __call__
File "game/main/openworld/alchemy.rpy", line 137, in usePotion
KeyError: u'alchemyThornyVineGrowth'

Full traceback:
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\exports.py", line 1226, in display_menu
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2702, in interact
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3518, in interact_core
File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 998, in event
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 714, in event
File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 244, in event
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 962, in event
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 897, in handle_click
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 313, in run
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 320, in run

```

Last edited:

Scars Unseen

Jan 2, 2018
I'm also not crazy about the seriously limited dialogue box at the bottom of the screen. I understand why it's only as big as it is (in order to not get in the way of the visuals that Ren'py expects to be present), but it spoils the flowery scenes I've more or less copied directly over from the old Twine version.

I've had a couple of people mention that Ren'py's dialogue isn't meant to be lengthy scene descriptions, but rather the kind of "stage directions" you might find in a screenplay. But, I'm too attached to the scenes the way they were already written for the Twine version, to simply discard them and rewrite them in more stilted form. Pending getting a LOT more background and character art to complement the dialogue, that is.
Just so you know, RenPy can work with lengthy text passages. There are basically two styles of visual novels from the standpoint of text display: ADV and NVL. ADV (short for ADVenture) is meant to be written in the style of JRPGs like Final Fantasy. Mostly short dialogue, or as you said, stage direction style descriptions. NVL (NoVeL) is typically used by authors more used to traditional writing styles found in, well, novels. Instead of using a text display box, the text is displayed over the image itself (with hotkeys to hide the text so the reader can see the image unobstructed). A popular example of that style of visual novel is the Fate / Stay Night franchise.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
This game is really unstable. Keep getting random errors just wandering about, like this when trying to build the garden:

```

While running game code:

Full traceback:

```

Or this when trying to fuck Brin in the kitchen with the strap-on (I did have Felicia as well):

```

While running game code:

Full traceback:
File "main/house/my_house_kitchen_sex.rpyc", line 79, in script
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\ast.py", line 1832, in execute
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\python.py", line 2057, in py_eval
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\python.py", line 692, in py_compile

```

When drinking Thorny Vine Tea:

```

While running game code:

Full traceback:
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\exports.py", line 1226, in display_menu
File "C:\Git\RenPySDK\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2702, in interact
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3518, in interact_core
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 714, in event
File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 244, in event
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 962, in event
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 897, in handle_click
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 313, in run
File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 320, in run

```
Thanks for the bug reports. I'll collect them and get a patch out in the next couple of days.

Debugging this latest release was a horrible grind, and I'm sure I missed quite a few bugs.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Just so you know, RenPy can work with lengthy text passages. There are basically two styles of visual novels from the standpoint of text display: ADV and NVL. ADV (short for ADVenture) is meant to be written in the style of JRPGs like Final Fantasy. Mostly short dialogue, or as you said, stage direction style descriptions. NVL (NoVeL) is typically used by authors more used to traditional writing styles found in, well, novels. Instead of using a text display box, the text is displayed over the image itself (with hotkeys to hide the text so the reader can see the image unobstructed). A popular example of that style of visual novel is the Fate / Stay Night franchise.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!

This is a perfect compromise between a scrollable window for huge scenes, and the normal Ren'py dialog box. I don't need to replace EVERY scene, but certainly several sex scenes would benefit from it.

Can NVL mode be styled, like the normal Ren'py text dialog box (e.g. change the background gradient image)? And the text and styling hidden with the H key?

Scars Unseen

Jan 2, 2018

This is a perfect compromise between a scrollable window for huge scenes, and the normal Ren'py dialog box. I don't need to replace EVERY scene, but certainly several sex scenes would benefit from it.

Can NVL mode be styled, like the normal Ren'py text dialog box (e.g. change the background gradient image)? And the text and styling hidden with the H key?
To be honest, I'm not sure. I don't actually use RenPy myself; it's just that I'm familiar enough with VNs in general that I knew what to search for. That said, the video example I linked suggests that there are a lot of possible ways to customize. I would assume that the same hotkey works to hide both kinds of text, but since it's not a polished commercial product, there's no guarantee. Probably though.

Omega Deose

Dec 24, 2018

why cant we play a male

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
How much more content do you need to add to the rework before it matches the content before the port?
About 3-4 weeks' worth.

Implement the tentacle attack on the player's house
Implement the various scenes related to corrupting the church

Those two things represent fairly large chunks of work, but that's about it.

Flargnock

Oct 1, 2017
Mac version has too many bugs. There's a few scenes where it'll force you to quit. Any time you try to save on it, you'll get an error report that you have to ignore to keep playing and be unable to save at all.

I'm having an easier time just downloading the windows version and using Wine to run it.

Edit: I stand corrected. There's a few scenes where you can't ignore the error reports and need to quit all together in the main version too. Happens right when you're getting to the good parts. Keeps making me need to quit the game right when it's getting to the best scenes on different paths.

Last edited:

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Mac version has too many bugs. There's a few scenes where it'll force you to quit. Any time you try to save on it, you'll get an error report that you have to ignore to keep playing and be unable to save at all.

I'm having an easier time just downloading the windows version and using Wine to run it.

Edit: I stand corrected. There's a few scenes where you can't ignore the error reports and need to quit all together in the main version too. Happens right when you're getting to the good parts. Keeps making me need to quit the game right when it's getting to the best scenes on different paths.
If you're talking about an error when the tentacles are about to attack your house, that's expected. I added a "known issues" section to the main post for precisely this reason.

As far as the Mac version, I don't have a mac so it's difficult for me to test. If you want to help with testing, we can discuss over Discord and I can work with you directly to get a working version -- probably this Sunday when I'll have a bit more free time.

3.20 star(s) 6 Votes