Dom1anon

Jun 21, 2018
So let me get this straight, because I'm fairly certain it's too ridiculous to be true but I just don't see anything suggesting otherwise after trying to read through a few pages here:
For about 4 years now the author has been doing regular art streams during which he doesn't actually work on the game, while styling his entire patreon page around the creation of the game and having a stretch goal where he starts doing game development "full time," while not even working on it to any measurable degree "part time" right now?
Or is there just a fuckhuge update to the game coming that he's been secretly working on for some reason?

The guy's either going to publish an amazing game with absolutely huge amounts of content or this is some YandereDev level type of patreon fuckery. 4 years is a long time even for stuff like this.

ZithL

Jul 14, 2018
I swear people do not understand what "part-time" means. The game isn't his entire life, unlike YandereDev and many other hacks. He is an artist first, then a game dev second. He is producing art for us to consume, which is free to download, then working on the game on his off-time. Shit takes a long while, especially as one guy juggling two jobs. I'm not sure he has a team.

Dom1anon

Jun 21, 2018
Most games are made "part time" but put out a lot more content over the span of 4 years.
Bigger games than his have been completed in less time than that.

EDIT: Man, I don't wanna argue but this just smells like massive amounts of bullshit and doesn't seem defendable with the part-time excuse.

jsmitth529

Mar 4, 2020
He doesn't even work part time, he's primarily an artist and develops the game alone when he has the free time to do so. He's outright said he works on it one day a week. He also has very little experience coding and is dealing with having to change the engine and use a new one for the first time. It's not going to be fast, ever, and people are just going to have to deal with it. No amount of randos whining will change literally anything, or make the developer care any more about you.

His patreon is for people who appreciate his art and his game, which he releases for free, to throw money at him.

You know, how patreon is normally intended to work. Get over yourself.

The man isn't a programmer, he just decided to make a game for shits and giggles.

Last edited:

Dom1anon

Jun 21, 2018
He doesn't even work part time, he's primarily an artist and develops the game alone when he has the free time to do so. He's outright said he works on it one day a week. He also has very little experience coding and is dealing with having to change the engine and use a new one for the first time. It's not going to be fast, ever, and people are just going to have to deal with it. No amount of randos whining will change literally anything, or make the developer care any more about you.

His patreon is for people who appreciate his art and his game, which he releases for free, to throw money at him.

You know, how patreon is normally intended to work. Get over yourself.

The man isn't a programmer, he just decided to make a game for shits and giggles.
You sound like you're taking it WAY too personally and projecting that on me.
I just said the near-complete lack of progress doesn't really have an excuse after 4 years (even if he just works on it one day a week) and all the superfans come out of the woodwork to facepalm me and talk about how I've got no right to expect more. Did you think I wrote that in hopes he would read it and speed up his work process based on some guy who doesn't give him money saying he's too slow on F95? Why?
I'm not deeply invested in it, there's no reason for me to get over myself just because I say the truth and you don't like it.
His progress in the last 4 years (and even the time before that, let's be real) is pathetic. Feel free to throw money at him for it or for even just the art streams but even if he'd have 0 experience as a programmer that wouldn't really change anything about what I say or how he chooses to present himself on patreon.
If a random stranger online saying that another stranger online is lazy hurts you so much maybe you need to get over yourself and stop taking opinions of strangers to heart. Especially if your tone of choice is such a passive-aggressive and sanctimonious one.

EDIT: I'll let you have the last word in this so feel free to reply and I'll read it, but as I said before, I'm not here to argue and I don't buy the excuses brought forth. You can say there's no need to make any excuses for one reason or another but that really won't change my stance on his productivity.
I hope your next post is a bit less heated.

Last edited:

Ahip

Dec 23, 2017
I think he's be more productive if the wrapped his head around how many perverts on the deep end of iceberg are willing to pay cash for a game like this.
Well his patreon has the goal of "if X is reached, I'll do this full time." So there's some intention to work on the game more. However over the years there's been no content releases, the blog updates for progress were promised then not delivered, but then there's art streams that are unrelated to the game. It's just disingenuous to claim "if I had X funds I would", but then spend a lot of his spare time NOT working on the project. It just shows that the intention to make it full time is not that sincere. He's put out a lot of art over the past years... Why couldn't that art be related to the game? Why couldn't he keep up with consistent updates for his patreons, to show his intention to work on the game is honest?

I'd still love to play the next release. It's an amazing and unique concept with some good writing, and a lot of freedom to do whatever you want in the game's world. There's truly nothing like this out there. I'm a fan of the work, not the dev. I'm sure he would've easily been able to reach the patreon goal if he had put out consistent updates and contents. For me personally, there's no way I'd financially support someone who doesn't deliver on their promises and eventually says "Don't type to me, it will be finished when it's finished", which is the same attitude as when someone says "I'll pay you back when I pay you back".

Reactions: Cheru

Studio 781

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2020
Just hearing about a possible update for this game, I remember even making a thread when it was in early development, when I was a Hongfire moderator. Its probably one of the weirdest yet best written games on this site, it really shows that a character can be cute, interesting and depth despite their appearance.

Xenophilia is not my thing and reading the thread neither its for a lot of fans of the game, I think this is a big accomplishment from the developer, making characters feel compelling and attractive without us even understanding how is their basic biology.

I don't want to fill myself with hope for a new update, but I will follow this new content development quietly.

crash.7ds

Nov 18, 2018
Well said. People pay far more for far less.
That can be a double edged sword though. Too many games like this one go even more stagnate once the dev realizes this reality. It's not like there's a publisher holding a deadline to a major developer company or share holders with expectations from sales returns after release with millions involved. It's just someone working on a side project of theirs as a hobby with nothing to hold them to it beyond self motivation and some sense of professional work ethic.

Keros

Jun 2, 2017
That can be a double edged sword though. Too many games like this one go even more stagnate once the dev realizes this reality. It's not like there's a publisher holding a deadline to a major developer company or share holders with expectations from sales returns after release with millions involved. It's just someone working on a side project of theirs as a hobby with nothing to hold them to it beyond self motivation and some sense of professional work ethic.
"Too many games like this one" That's the thing. There are not more games like this one. This is a unique thing with unique art. People like to eat stuff like this up. If generic games like Summertime can make a massive wad of cash, I feel this should be able to take a large bite. If.

Reactions: Playfulpetfox

MasterSteve

Feb 5, 2018
The history repeats itself:
Rumors about an update -> Comments about it's dead -> Comments about it's coming -> Comments about it's never coming -> Comments about shut up -> Comments about MD is doing it for free -> Comments about it doesn't matter I want to fap -> Loooong comments about MD's situation, with reasoning and all -> Comments about it doesn't even matter -> Silence
Then after a few months, half a year, the whole cycle is repeating itself.

jsmitth529

Mar 4, 2020
You can't really help it when there's an endless amount of self-entitled idiots who love to whine into an echo chamber just to get a sense of validation. From how some people come across, you'd think they had some personal stake in the game or had literally nothing else to do but desperately wait for the next update. Like, I check in occasionally on the discord, see that the update isn't out yet, browse the new art that's been posted, then move on with my fucking day. It feels like some people assume anyone with literally any interest in the dev or game has spent every day of the last four years staring at the screen and hopelessly waiting instead of just getting on with their lives and finding other content, you know, like normal people.

Ahip

Dec 23, 2017
"Too many games like this one" That's the thing. There are not more games like this one. This is a unique thing with unique art. People like to eat stuff like this up. If generic games like Summertime can make a massive wad of cash, I feel this should be able to take a large bite. If.
It's unique but it's also niche. That means you get a loyal fanbase but not necessarily a wide one. Relatively generic stuff like Summertime gets way more support because way more people consume it compared to alien/feral content. To most people Teraurge is just too weird.

KorsaroKhan

May 12, 2018
The history repeats itself:
Rumors about an update -> Comments about it's dead -> Comments about it's coming -> Comments about it's never coming -> Comments about shut up -> Comments about MD is doing it for free -> Comments about it doesn't matter I want to fap -> Loooong comments about MD's situation, with reasoning and all -> Comments about it doesn't even matter -> Silence
Then after a few months, half a year, the whole cycle is repeating itself.
Don't forget depression.

kep31

Sep 11, 2020
I usually didn't keep checking out f95 for games i found here ... but since i found this one, i keep checking every once in a while ... This game really is something special, i'm not surprised that it spurs so much emotions, even being so small in scope as it is now.. and i worry... what if MD gets fed up with people whining and drops it? What if he gets carpal tunnel and wont be able to make art anymore..

He is working on this alone for now, and if he stops working on it, this game will never get finished ever... and considering there isn't anything even remotely similar, i'm guessing i will never see anything like it.

After going through the art he has put out, and people shared here, i truly believe he also wants the game to be made.. he genuinely likes the kind of stuff he makes... or at least, so it seems from his art.

Although i fully understand that artistic process is not that simple, and it probably can't be forced, and this isn't his only job, i would really like if the game was finished and out there.. something unique.. a piece of weird art for the next generations to see..

Last edited:

nackedsnake

Engaged Member
Jan 29, 2019
Wait, this game got Abandoned?
Last time I checked the dev is doing fine and even have quite a bit teaser for new contetns, what happend?

I looked back about 5 pages, just random people bitching about each other which doesn't even matter...

jsmitth529

Mar 4, 2020
This site has a rule that threads get marked as abandoned after 6 months without an update. A lot of people don't know about it because it's never applied consistently and it seems mostly to be at the whim of whatever staff happens to notice it. What constitutes an 'update' is vague and it sometimes doesn't matter that the dev is still active and working on the game. Other times a game won't get the tag despite not receiving any content for more than a year. It's pretty much just random.

Hell, Depravity hasn't received an update in 6 months and it still gets an advertisement on the front page for some reason.

Last edited:

MrCrazy123

Feb 6, 2019
No the dev is still working on it and taking their sweet time. There's a good chance it never happens probably, as with any small project. They check in to the discord and do art streams which occasionally feature material that may appear in the game at some point.

4.60 star(s) 51 Votes