Fappingfox

Sep 30, 2018
That applies to games being commercially sold. There's no way for the Unity devs to know about or charge for downloads from places like Mega or Mediafire, ect.
They'll need to word it better, cause as is, it says "Installs over the install threshold"

db-bchr-iv

Mar 12, 2023
That applies to games being commercially sold. There's no way for the Unity devs to know about or charge for downloads from places like Mega or Mediafire, ect.
lol. lmao even.
Unity will track *installs*, not downloads. Proprietary corporate spyware can do that even if you don't want it to, remember.

GravGrav

Sep 25, 2017
lol. lmao even.
Unity will track *installs*, not downloads. Proprietary corporate spyware can do that even if you don't want it to, remember.
And how exactly will they find bank accounts of people putting something using Unity on Mega to download? How does charging someone outside of Steam, GOG, and other places that actually involve monetary transfer work?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: MrStal0ne

GravGrav

Sep 25, 2017
What? They don't charge each user, they charge the creator
I was referring to the creator putting their game on Mega or elsewhere (or anyone putting it on there like people here).

Interestingly, reading what Unity put out on the subject, it looks like I was right in that they don't really have a way to charge creators or have access to their information to charge them, they're going to charge the distributors of the install.

Meaning iOS installs will be charged to Apple, ect. So I guess in the case of downloads like ours, Mega and Mediafire would be paying Unity?

• Thinking Face

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, I'm sure it's still technically being worked on, but probably not at a pace that it'll be realistically finished any time soon. He doesn't deserve hate for it, but marking it as abandoned in the general sense isn't inaccurate.
Well, it's abandoned based on this site's policy and imo is a fitting statement. "Technically still being worked on" just because he says despite any evidence for years is also a terribly naive argument, imo, and at the very best serves as a bad precedent you still shouldn't be happy with.

Yet once again, I also agree that he doesn't deserve ire. This is a very different position than some patreon games on this very site I can mention that make 50-100k a god damn month and are approaching Bethesda levels of development time while having absolutely zero to show for it, in which case I would indeed be more inclined to be upset. But then again, I don't especially have a high opinion of anyone willing to pay $450 over time for a $15 pron game that's still unfinished and hasn't had any meaningful updates outside of empty promises for years whose developer is an unapologetic tyrannical jerk on top of it, but hey, whatever, I guess.

And how exactly will they find bank accounts of people putting something using Unity on Mega to download? How does charging someone outside of Steam, GOG, and other places that actually involve monetary transfer work?
I was referring to the creator putting their game on Mega or elsewhere (or anyone putting it on there like people here).

Interestingly, reading what Unity put out on the subject, it looks like I was right in that they don't really have a way to charge creators or have access to their information to charge them, they're going to charge the distributors of the install.

Meaning iOS installs will be charged to Apple, ect. So I guess in the case of downloads like ours, Mega and Mediafire would be paying Unity?
They haven't implemented it yet. I think someone leaked it ahead of the official statement and they just admitted it was true is all, then put up a FAQ which really explains little. For instance, their answer to "Does the Unity Runtime Fee apply to pirated copies of games?" is literally:

We are happy to work with any developer who has been the victim of piracy so that they are not unfairly hurt by unwanted installs.

So not only do you have to do all the legwork yourself, expect a metric ton of red tape and loopholes to prove specific amounts of pirated games, because, you know, a 4 man team can totally scour every website and torrent and somehow count how many downloads each has.

Unity has poorly thought this out, pure and simple. They will lose a ton of users and already were because their engine sucks now and is getting worse instead of better over time. They should use a model similar to Epic games where they charge a flat percentage rate after a certain amount of sales and profit.

MrCrazy123

Feb 6, 2019
The install threshold also only applies to games of certain size, you're not going to get dinged for 40 cents if 2 people install a game. Something like teraurge is unlikely to even hit the minimum required to be charged at all. And if it did then the game is probably making enough to pay for it so it's not the hugest deal in this case.

Reactions: MysteryBlob

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
The install threshold also only applies to games of certain size, you're not going to get dinged for 40 cents if 2 people install a game. Something like teraurge is unlikely to even hit the minimum required to be charged at all. And if it did then the game is probably making enough to pay for it so it's not the hugest deal in this case.
This is true, but you're missing the point. There is a potential for exploitation or issues down the line, i.e. a surprise indie hit or something else unpredictable, that will make Unity an uncomfortable choice for many. Very few people will sleep under a guillotine just because they're told it's magically locked in place and will only ever come done on true criminals lmao.

This will push a lot of developers--even those who might never ever hit the threshold--to move just because something MIGHT happen.

I do agree with you that it probably isn't a realistic issue for Teraurge, and not just because it's unlikely to ever see a release to begin with. Still, as the common sentiment currently explains, this signposts the direction Unity is heading and people are correct in saying it's not worth the risk they they screw up especially since it seems locking yourself into their engine for future or mostly new projects is itself seeming like a risk for the future.

Reactions: MrCrazy123

MrCrazy123

Feb 6, 2019
Oh no unity is awful for doing htis and it's terrible. I just mean for this particular project it's unlikely to hurt it. So Teraurge v3 should still be fine to continue as is.

pichkas

May 13, 2021
chances are, their runtime phones home unless cracked - and even then apparently unity can detect piracy (according to them) so i wouldnt be so sure.

BaloneyAmone

Mar 3, 2021
Welp, looks like V3 has to go to Unreal Engine now so MD doesn't have to sell his kidneys to continue sharing this game. Thanks a lot John Riccitiello, you literal walking James Bond villain.

db-bchr-iv

Mar 12, 2023
Teraurge will probably surpass 200k installs. Think about it. It still gets regular threads on /v/ with hundreds of replies and has an active thread on F95. After more than four years since its last update and near-total radio silence from the dev.

• Haha
Reactions: Cheru

Garnser

Apr 1, 2017
I suggest to wait a bit more than speculate on another "death flag" for Teraurge. This whole shit has spread all over the game industry and this shit move concern more than one niche game. So let's just wait and see. It's not something we haven't done already lol.

LS47

Oct 5, 2021
Teraurge will probably surpass 200k installs. Think about it. It still gets regular threads on /v/ with hundreds of replies and has an active thread on F95. After more than four years since its last update and near-total radio silence from the dev.
To be affected by the fee, he also has to reach 200k in revenue in a year. So no, he will be perfectly fine.

4.60 star(s) 51 Votes