Delsa

Jan 15, 2019
The end of 2021

Still working on V3.
This year has been a maelstrom of things happening to me personally, some of which have changed my life considerably. Regardless, they have not seriously hampered the development of the game. I even finished my first D&D campaign I DMed for 2+ years for eight(!) people, that was fun.
The technical side of game development has been hindered by Adobe AIR support vanishing and overall it becoming more and more of a nuisance. Progress to the next update has been severely affected by this development, and some drastic measures have been taken to ensure V3 can actually be installed and run when it's released.
The development version of the Teraurge V3 currently runs on the Unity engine. I had been working semi-seriously on an Unity version of the game as precautionary thing along with the AIR version, but irreconcilable technical hurdles forced the issue and I had to take the plunge into the Unity for V3.
The switch has been a big effort but the new tools Unity and C# bring to the table have made the development far more enjoyable and efficient than what it was on the Flash Actionscript 3. Large sections of the game's code have been translated into the new engine, but various parts are still missing.
The news of an engine change may sound dire or irritating, but I already delayed the engine switch (probably) far too long and only did so when the issue was forced upon me. The engine change has brought new possibilities in the technical sense and made the development far less troublesome. I changed to Unity with great hesitation and dread, but I've come to realize that I should have made the jump to Unity in V2, or even earlier.
As is tradition I've created a new super pack of all the stream art for your convenience.

Ano85

May 21, 2018
Recap and summary for people who don't know much about the progress so far:

--- According to MD, V3 was about 3/4 done by April 2021. ---

Please note that it's still not possible to properly calculate when V3 is going to be completely done. An engine change takes more work for MD than drawing for scenes.

------------------------
Unity engine change:
------------------------

1640703048772.png

------------------
Glowing effects:
------------------

1640703249521.png

------------------------
New map movement:
------------------------

Roads are a thing now. You can also freely move around on water with a boat for example, so I'd expect encounters above- and underwater in the future. Fishing is also going to be in the game.

------------------
Combat rework:
------------------

I noticed a lot of reviewers here mention the card system, but it's not how it's going to work in the future.

1640703757546.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And a little extra (we don't know if it's actually a spoiler from the game itself, MD is sly like that):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

PS.: Links to the unofficial-official discord channel are posted after streams on MD's Picarto channel.

KorsaroKhan

May 12, 2018
Recap and summary for people who don't know much about the progress so far:

Please note that it's still not possible to properly calculate when V3 is going to be completely done. An engine change takes more work for MD than drawing for scenes.

------------------------
Unity engine change:
------------------------

View attachment 1567204

------------------
Glowing effects:
------------------

View attachment 1567209

------------------------
New map movement:
------------------------

Roads are a thing now. You can also freely move around on water with a boat for example, so I'd expect encounters above- and underwater in the future. Fishing is also going to be in the game.

------------------
Combat rework:
------------------

I noticed a lot of reviewers here mention the card system, but it's not how it's going to work in the future.

View attachment 1567229

And a little extra (we don't know if it's actually a spoiler from the game itself, MD is sly like that):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

PS.: Links to the unofficial-official discord channel are posted after streams on MD's Picarto channel.
Could it be? After all those years... The day of Reckoning... Is it finally upon us?! Are we going to get our retribution?

Reactions: caporalll
Jan 28, 2020
MD always jumped around when it came to calculating how much was done/still needed to be worked on, so I would take that with a grain of salt.

Unless he's been firm about that recently?

Blackmars

Dec 4, 2017
We got a blog update after all this time its really nice. Its sad to hear about the struggles but you preserved for whatever reason... because lets be honest half of us are cretins. Pour one out for all the lack of support to developer tools what is up with that?

Ducksssss

Feb 13, 2021
Always a shame to see a project have to go through a big change that will yield no content like this but hopefully it will speed up development. Also great to see the combat system is being changed. The old one was janky and would give me bugs with weapon cards persisting between saves.

Ano85

May 21, 2018
You can access everything through the game files. Some folders even have a bunch of extra pictures. The dialogue is also accessible through simple text files.

There's no need for a gallery.

GravGrav

Sep 25, 2017
You can access everything through the game files. Some folders even have a bunch of extra pictures. The dialogue is also accessible through simple text files.

There's no need for a gallery.
Though that might be different once the Unity version comes out.

4.60 star(s) 51 Votes