Not_A_Horse

Feb 12, 2018
Not sure why people are bothering him on Discord though. The Patreon is very explicitly and has always been about the art streams, not this game.
Given that his patreon mentions that he's a "visual artist/coder/game designer" (my emphasis added), this clearly isn't correct.

Considering the abysmal pace and their continued monetary support I think it's rather understandable that people would want to bring up the latter.

BaloneyAmone

Mar 3, 2021
This whole """"""""controversy"""""""" I think is mostly a consequence of MD not laying it on thick enough that 1) this is all technically a side hustle (isn't he a CGI artist for movies or something? Regardless, ~$12k a year is in no way a livable income in the states, so if he's grifting he's doing a pretty bad job at it), 2) that progress is very much on his own time schedule due to it being more of a personal project than a product to sell to others, and 3) that you're under no real obligation to give him money for anything related to Teraurge; patrons only get access to the occasional essay and to vote on what he does for his art streams. Add a(n un)healthy dose of entitlement, and you get this silliness.

Last edited:

MasterSteve

Feb 5, 2018
~$12k a year is in no way a livable income in the states
If I remember correctly he is a Finnish guy living in Finland. There the minimal monthly salary for an 8hr job is around 1200€. But the median is around 4000€. What he gets on patreon now is 886€ minus what patreon removes before paying out (i have no idea). So it isn't much for the country he is living in, but still he got in the last two years around 19200€ for 208h of total work (2 streams/week for an 1hr). Which is a 92€/h salary.
But I know, I should go and f*** myself questioning the great and mighty MD, because he is "working on V3, even with hurt feelings."

BaloneyAmone

Mar 3, 2021
If I remember correctly he is a Finnish guy living in Finland. There the minimal monthly salary for an 8hr job is around 1200€. But the median is around 4000€. What he gets on patreon now is 886€ minus what patreon removes before paying out (i have no idea). So it isn't much for the country he is living in, but still he got in the last two years around 19200€ for 208h of total work (2 streams/week for an 1hr). Which is a 92€/h salary.
But I know, I should go and f*** myself questioning the great and mighty MD, because he is "working on V3, even with hurt feelings."
Disregarding the fact that he lives in Finland, which frankly is punishment enough, who cares about how much money he makes from people who most likely don't care that he's not constantly working on it? It's not like it's his job or anything, it's just a side hustle that people decide to monetarily support. That's what separates him from the typical Patreon grifter: he doesn't compose himself as "I'm making [product], give me money so I can continue making it", and then turn around and take the money and run, he just does what he wants -- and if people give him money, that's their prerogative. This sort of psycho logic of "well if he makes x dollars across y timeframe, we can use the formula f(z)= √[(x/y)^2] to determine how many z discrete labor units he makes, and since presently z is CLEARLY less than the prescribed minimum of (z/12)+log(10)x builds per month, he's officially scamming everyone and should be reported to Interpol for this offense", you inevitably come off as overtly entitled, because he's just indulging in a personal project and is electing to share it with others, not trying to make a career out of it. Your overt concern with his income makes you look like you think he's grabbing the cash out of your wallet and blowing it all on sports cars, and then proceeding to laugh at your face before making out with a hot girl from Alpha Centauri while going 120 through a red light in Downtown Brooklyn. That's why he's offended: people are building an idea of who he is in their heads and proceeding to assign expectations, and then go and lash out at him when he doesn't fit to the standards that he had no idea could even be manifested by any individual who knew anything about him. And, since him apparently not compromising the integrity of the project by rushing it out for a bunch of vocal nobodies is their problem, why not just step back until their throats get raw so he can continue in peace?
But if you'd like to have a quickie with one of your clones, by all means, I'm not stopping you.

P.S. you can say fuck on the internet. There is far more horrendous stuff on this forum than a single curse word.

Ninja edit: this is the first essay I've typed out on this website. I hope you're honored to have made me manifest this.

Last edited:

Decckar

Aug 24, 2017
this feels like yandere dev all over again I'm kind of glad i didn't give this guy money
If you legitimately think Meandraco is ANYTHING like YanDev, you don't know hardly anything about YanDev. I don't even know much about either one, but the things I do know make me absolutely certain YanDev is a horrific little gremlin of a man and Meandraco is just like... an artist who's maybe tired of some peoples' shit.

nanajosh

Jul 18, 2017
Ninja edit: this is the first essay I've typed out on this website. I hope you're honored to have made me manifest this.
The problem with making essays forums and online in general, not a lot of people are gonna read it. Having read yours though I agree with you. One question though. Has he explicitly said that this is a side project that he's not looking to sell? I think getting that across would stop or lower the "how long?" and "you a scammer" commenters. A simple *WARNING; THIS IS A SIDE PROJECT AND WILL BE UPDATED SELDOMLY* would go a long way at keeping people from complaining to him about updates.

Thoughts?

BaloneyAmone

Mar 3, 2021
The problem with making essays forums and online in general, not a lot of people are gonna read it. Having read yours though I agree with you. One question though. Has he explicitly said that this is a side project that he's not looking to sell? I think getting that across would stop or lower the "how long?" and "you a scammer" commenters. A simple *WARNING; THIS IS A SIDE PROJECT AND WILL BE UPDATED SELDOMLY* would go a long way at keeping people from complaining to him about updates.

Thoughts?
I used "side hustle" in the sense that it isn't his career focus, not that it's a side project; in terms of output, I'd imagine it's still his main project. Regardless, given that the game is free and I don't think it ever had any paid builds, I'd imagine he's not trying to sell it.

absolutefrogge

Jun 12, 2020
Really not liking the popular centiment here.
Gonna sayit right now - I am not his patron or anything. I wanna see V3 and the full game as much as the next guy, but you're really not solving much by complaining here. Just repeatedly saying "this guy is too slow I regret giving him money" or "man I'm glad I didn't give him money in the first place" is just going to postpone the product even further.
If you're one of the patrons for this game and you're angry at production time - look at it this way:
If he is working on the game - your complaints really do make him feel bad and may at some point make him quit.
If he's not making the game - you've already lost your money and your complaints are just yelling at the void.
Instead of complaining, try to encourage him. Complaints just lowerour chances of receiving the actual game.
Once again - not a shill. I only wanna see v3

Jun 29, 2021
dose this even still update anymore
Last update was 2 years ago I think. Despite the bitching and moaning of the jobless basement dwellers, there are signs that Meandraco hasn't completely abandoned the game yet. However, there is no Eta for v3. It started that v3 would be ui improvements but it sounds like it's become more; likely due to people whining that it wasn't big enough of an update. Look for other games to play and check in on this one every few months. Unless you become disinterested, which is fair.

Jan 28, 2020
Last update was 2 years ago I think. Despite the bitching and moaning of the jobless basement dwellers, there are signs that Meandraco hasn't completely abandoned the game yet. However, there is no Eta for v3. It started that v3 would be ui improvements but it sounds like it's become more; likely due to people whining that it wasn't big enough of an update. Look for other games to play and check in on this one every few months. Unless you become disinterested, which is fair.
He's been using his art streams to make concept art for the game. Whether or not all of them guaranteed to make it into the game isn't known.

Reactions: Chainjailhunter
4.70 star(s) 50 Votes