VN Ren'Py Completed TESS - The Eternal Sunset Society [v0.3b] [Chris Eman]

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
I have not played the game, but from the screenshots, the graphics don't look the best. With the absolute multitude of games available here, that's not a good first impression to make.
If you are going to pass it just for the graphics or the H-scenes, never mind the story, pass on this game, it's real that there are a multitude of games waiting for you!

Reactions: Mikeyw

Behappy69

Nov 3, 2020
Np Also I am enjoying the game so far. I am stuck at the moment I have to find Alica the blonde girl that we invited to the VIP room at the Nightclub and I cant find her. Also I cant sleep to the next day until I see her after she had her life Energy Taken. Any ideas?

Reactions: Jhon1885

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
Np Also I am enjoying the game so far. I am stuck at the moment I have to find Alica the blonde girl that we invited to the VIP room at the Nightclub and I cant find her. Also I cant sleep to the next day until I see her after she had her life Energy Taken. Any ideas?
hanks for playing!
I was checking, and the problem is a variable! it's not adding so you get stuck, I'm going to upload a new version correcting the bug and, while I'm at it, adding another scene, which I was working on!
double infernal/lust scene if you "unlocked" Milgaros in the VN.

I suggest, if you have saved games, to start before going to Awakening so you don't get stuck.

Now I use translator, so there are some things I don't understand well, to Alicia, you had problems to find it? that should be automatic, if some scenes vary, depending on your previous choices, but finding it would be easy.

p/d: In my game I had no problems, maybe that variable in the English version, does not add up, anyway I tried to do something so that we do not need to redo that part, I should, exit and re-enter the apartment to solve that, but yes, no, unfortunately if you should restart from before looking for Alicia by order of Madame Medeleine.

Last edited:

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
The two main thiings that make this story less enjoyable for me are the machine quality of the English translation and problems with trying to get to the plot points.

Starting the story brand new, I'm presented with a sandbox that lists some attributes that I appear to need to grind to get anywhere, but there are others implied by tasks like gym training and class work that appear to be hidden. For example why do I see an attribute for will but can only gain resistance? What is ability to learn all about? What does str (strength?) have to do with stamina possibly. I found myself dropping into the console to zero out stress (mental=0) because it looked like it was going to be a major grind factor without having a lot of money, which can only come slowly and doesn't appear on the visible stats list for some reason.

Grind aside, we appear to have to go around talking to people to advance the plot at various points. However we don't seem to know where to find them necessarily and not all locations appear to be available until a certain plot point is past or until a certain time of day or day of week. So we have to keep in our heads who is going to be where and when. Then once we talk to them to advance the plot, the placeholder is there but there is nothing we can do when we try to "talk to" them again same time and place but different day.

I know you have a task list, but it is a far cry from being a proper hint system at the moment.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
The sandbox mode seems to have problems with plot consistency. All of a sudden, I have a hospital location become available, and there's a conversation with a nurse that implies some events that happened which I have yet to encounter. This isn't the only place where I ran into some sort of out of order problem.

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
The sandbox mode seems to have problems with plot consistency. All of a sudden, I have a hospital location become available, and there's a conversation with a nurse that implies some events that happened which I have yet to encounter. This isn't the only place where I ran into some sort of out of order problem.
Being only one for everything, being my first VN and not having previous knowledge and good hardware, it is very difficult for me to review, especially the English part, as far as I can understand, there were inconsistencies with the variables that showed things that should not.

I had set out to get to 0.3, "work my butt off" even if I didn't win anything and I did it.

Now, I was thinking if it is really worth to continue with this or to see in the future to try "the English" (who says he is a translator).

I think your comment was vital to make the decision about the future (or not future) of TESS thank you.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
I haven't looked at your source aside from a couple of greps looking for variable names to tweak, so I have no clue how you developed your scenes. I do think you need to diagram your encounters and conversations as a decision tree either in software, on paper or a wall or blackboard. Name your scenes using a prefix of route type (eg dom vs sub) and scene number if you expect your story to be mostly sequential. If you are going to allow events to happen seemingly randomly, use dependency variables like seen_doms01_xxx to determine whether a new scene should become available for choice or be triggered.

This is the reason why it is a common trope in mystery movies to have the MC slap stuff up on a wall with push pins and threads while they figure out what is going on.

Being only one for everything, being my first VN and not having previous knowledge and good hardware, it is very difficult for me to review, especially the English part, as far as I can understand, there were inconsistencies with the variables that showed things that should not.

I had set out to get to 0.3, "work my butt off" even if I didn't win anything and I did it.

Now, I was thinking if it is really worth to continue with this or to see in the future to try "the English" (who says he is a translator).

I think your comment was vital to make the decision about the future (or not future) of TESS thank you.

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
I haven't looked at your source aside from a couple of greps looking for variable names to tweak, so I have no clue how you developed your scenes. I do think you need to diagram your encounters and conversations as a decision tree either in software, on paper or a wall or blackboard. Name your scenes using a prefix of route type (eg dom vs sub) and scene number if you expect your story to be mostly sequential. If you are going to allow events to happen seemingly randomly, use dependency variables like seen_doms01_xxx to determine whether a new scene should become available for choice or be triggered.

This is the reason why it is a common trope in mystery movies to have the MC slap stuff up on a wall with push pins and threads while they figure out what is going on.
There are things that in theory are activated if x things happen before, in fact, when I uploaded the 0.3. b, I played it again, from the beginning, there I modified things to make it easier, I also left a guide, but for now I'm going to leave it, maybe in the future I will retake it, the language issue is also a big barrier, originally it was not going to be in English for this reason, the good thing about this project is that it served me as experience, I have noted all the bad (most of them are English speaking, that is the negative comments) and Spanish speaking the positive ones (this is curious).
In the future I know that, either it is only Spanish or English translated (without using deepl, which is difficult because I would have to pay a translator and the monetary experience that has given me is of negative balance"), doing everything x 2 complicates a lot, even several errors occur this way, there are times that the variables do not add up in one version to another (this is my error of placement).
But well, it is not that they do not miss much, at least not those who are not Spanish-speaking, since I have received 100% of negative comments in English.

NaruNaru1

May 20, 2019
Enjoyed the game, especially Leonore scenes and story. Thank you :)
How much percent of the whole game is completed?

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
Enjoyed the game, especially Leonore scenes and story. Thank you :)
How much percent of the whole game is completed?
I had a lot of hate with the novel, and above all problems with the translation made me finish it, I almost hated my own VN, criticized from almost every angle (except for the story, at least I haven't read any complaints about that) I decided not to continue it, I'm only 15% of the way through.
I thought about picking it up again someday or remaking it (perhaps in the form of a kinetic visual novel).

I don't know English and in fact it's a lot of work to do the translation, I don't make money with this to pay a translator either.

But even after all the disappointment (TESS is my first visual novel) I decided that I still wanted to tell the story of the veil of shadows but in Spanish, however I got messages of encouragement from people who do not speak Spanish, so I decided to make (with the little English I can do) a spiritual successor to TESS.

If you liked TESS, it is very likely that you will also like this one, it takes place in parallel to TESS and basically it would be like its continuation.
I think someone uploaded it to F95 but he doesn't update it, and I prefer to stay away from the commentaries, I have bad experience (in fact I think in that post one of them said that he did better renders than me... why do you post that? besides to make a game you need much more than renders)

Anyway, thank you for your comment! really! and I leave you the link of the spiritualist successor of TESS!

Reactions: NaruNaru1

Sindar

Jan 30, 2018
I had a lot of hate with the novel, and above all problems with the translation made me finish it, I almost hated my own VN, criticized from almost every angle (except for the story, at least I haven't read any complaints about that) I decided not to continue it, I'm only 15% of the way through.
I thought about picking it up again someday or remaking it (perhaps in the form of a kinetic visual novel).
I feel a little saddened to hear that the game won't be continued (or at least not at this point) cause I found the story quite unique and interesting. I was intrigued to find out whether his friend Leonor was involved with the Society or other forces as there seemed to be a few hints towards that and it would probably be revealed in later chapters. The same goes for other main characters like Elizabeth and Milagros and their intentions.
I can understand how harsh criticism can be discouraging, but for the first attempt at a VN game it really isn't that bad. It's probably the sandbox aspect of the game that makes people dislike it as at times it's not too clear about what's needed to advance the story. And usually nobody likes the grinding elements of sandbox like eating, showering, sleeping and repeating tasks to earn money. However, I think that the basis of the story and the main characters is good and having like a hybrid VN game with some sandbox elements (like tasks linked to exploring side characters and learning more about the Society outside the main story) could work well.
I don't know English and in fact it's a lot of work to do the translation, I don't make money with this to pay a translator either.
Perhaps the community would be able to help you with that. I don't speak Spanish myself, but I could assist with proofreading the English translation if that would be helpful.

If you feel passionate about telling the story that you've envisioned, I would encourage you to do so - don't let the critics dissuade you. It seems like I wasn't the only one that was intrigued by it and wanted to find out more.
In any case, best of luck to you!

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
I feel a little saddened to hear that the game won't be continued (or at least not at this point) cause I found the story quite unique and interesting. I was intrigued to find out whether his friend Leonor was involved with the Society or other forces as there seemed to be a few hints towards that and it would probably be revealed in later chapters. The same goes for other main characters like Elizabeth and Milagros and their intentions.
I can understand how harsh criticism can be discouraging, but for the first attempt at a VN game it really isn't that bad. It's probably the sandbox aspect of the game that makes people dislike it as at times it's not too clear about what's needed to advance the story. And usually nobody likes the grinding elements of sandbox like eating, showering, sleeping and repeating tasks to earn money. However, I think that the basis of the story and the main characters is good and having like a hybrid VN game with some sandbox elements (like tasks linked to exploring side characters and learning more about the Society outside the main story) could work well.

Perhaps the community would be able to help you with that. I don't speak Spanish myself, but I could assist with proofreading the English translation if that would be helpful.

If you feel passionate about telling the story that you've envisioned, I would encourage you to do so - don't let the critics dissuade you. It seems like I wasn't the only one that was intrigued by it and wanted to find out more.
In any case, best of luck to you!
Thank you very much! In Itch I had explained the issue a little better, and it is that I was also saturating I had great updates per month and then arrive and see criticisms discouraged me, the last one I was the whole weekend! and I said, but what am I doing? it is consuming me just to receive that, the criticisms are constructive but not toxicity, and I being very new is like I'm just learning to deal with that.
Yes, the Sandbox is a double-edged sword, the bad thing is that you only see the fruits in updates already past the halfway point, but, it is true that there were concepts that I missed and that only in 0.3.b more or less try to compensate.
I'm really glad that you pay attention to the story! With everything I learned with TESS I took out another VN.

Love MorteM, although they are other characters, you will be very familiar because it is in the same universe and it would be like a spiritual sequel, also in terms of Lore, Love MorteM extends it, since you are in Lux MorteM and you have the vision of New Dawn, ie complements and expands the universe of TESS, I invite you to play it! (at least until I see what to do with TESS!)

Deleted member 2613945

Jul 17, 2020
game ui/game system need good fixing, add to this more lewd events in horror style and people like this game
i'm not native english speaker so i don't complain about grammar
horror and grotesque style is something uncommon
some fixes and this game gonna be (y)
thanks

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
game ui/game system need good fixing, add to this more lewd events in horror style and people like this game
i'm not native english speaker so i don't complain about grammar
horror and grotesque style is something uncommon
some fixes and this game gonna be (y)
thanks
Thank you! yes I have taken note of many things that I tried to polish in my other VN, the H scene issue, is a theme, since my narrative style in that subject is that I don't want to do something forced, that is, if you don't "catch the atmosphere and the story out of the nsfw, unfortunately, the game can become boring, but, (narratively) once that barrier is passed I already have all the elements or cards on the table to put H scenes that are "organic".
Thank you very much for commenting!

Behappy69

Nov 3, 2020
Hi I have already said I really like this game and even though you Are not a native English speaker I really do and did if that is the case Enjoy your game and yes it is true that I had some trouble follow where to go in the game I do enjoy a challenge sometimes and this is one of those time its hard for some ppl to like or enjoy But I really hope you continue adding English to this game and I have seen some ppl offer to help with that and I would if I could but I dont have the time anyway I really like the game And as a Native English Speaker I would Love to see more its really interesting and different from a lot of the games I have played :) I hope to see more But If I dont It was Great to try it out :) .

Deleted member 2613945

Jul 17, 2020
Thank you! yes I have taken note of many things that I tried to polish in my other VN, the H scene issue, is a theme, since my narrative style in that subject is that I don't want to do something forced, that is, if you don't "catch the atmosphere and the story out of the nsfw, unfortunately, the game can become boring, but, (narratively) once that barrier is passed I already have all the elements or cards on the table to put H scenes that are "organic".
Thank you very much for commenting!
i know how hate can destroy developers (saw it many times) and i always searching good things in game to praise someone
one good word can give you wings (motivates you)
yes game ui could be better
characters looks good (even Milagros could be less scary if she would have good time with mc :KEK: - sex with ghost or witch)
developers avoiding horror scenery and choose sweetness - i like horror scenery - gives some thrill ( dunno how to say properly)
even futa/trans is not bad (cute face, sexy body - noice) - add some blowjob, titjob, anal scenes and it will be good

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
i know how hate can destroy developers (saw it many times) and i always searching good things in game to praise someone
one good word can give you wings (motivates you)
yes game ui could be better
characters looks good (even Milagros could be less scary if she would have good time with mc :KEK: - sex with ghost or witch)
developers avoiding horror scenery and choose sweetness - i like horror scenery - gives some thrill ( dunno how to say properly)
even futa/trans is not bad (cute face, sexy body - noice) - add some blowjob, titjob, anal scenes and it will be good

Thank you very much! TESS hides a lot of secrets in the 0.3.b. I left the link to the eItch guide.
You can revive Milagros, change her look and have sex with her.
The problem is that the bad translation, along with a not so polished system, I realized that many secrets are still hidden, many people never discovered Lady Asra and along with her Lady Rubi and The Night Huntress, there is a scene of Elizabeth sending a message to the future (in one of the timelines) to her cousin (the android version) that also most people didn't discover.
These things I'm trying to polish in Love MorteM.

Jhon1885

Game Developer
Jan 8, 2018
Hi I have already said I really like this game and even though you Are not a native English speaker I really do and did if that is the case Enjoy your game and yes it is true that I had some trouble follow where to go in the game I do enjoy a challenge sometimes and this is one of those time its hard for some ppl to like or enjoy But I really hope you continue adding English to this game and I have seen some ppl offer to help with that and I would if I could but I dont have the time anyway I really like the game And as a Native English Speaker I would Love to see more its really interesting and different from a lot of the games I have played :) I hope to see more But If I dont It was Great to try it out :) .
I encourage you to try Love MorteM! it is almost certain that if you liked TESS, you will like love MorteM!
I've asked for help to some guys who translate, who liked TESS and wanted to help Love MorteM, but they are very busy, that's the problem, I write a lot! and I can't pay them, so the help is sometimes a question about phrases or others, but I try to be more "neutral" so that the translator tries to give me something more faithful.