desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I'm liking it so far, but I feel like the MC is railroaded pretty heavily into being a simp.

To elaborate, most choices in this game look like this:

Do/say simpy thing - Get love/trust/friendship whatever.
Do/say something else - get nothing or get minus points in the "good" variables

In general, I believe choices are much more effective when structured like this.

Do/say simpy thing - get love/trust/etc.
Do/say pervy/callous/evil/alpha/selfish/etc. things - get corrupt/break/submission/etc. points or results

Jessica cafe scene was done pretty well. You could neg her by playing into her insecurity, or build her up. And you get points to represent that. Most other choices are not actual choices. They either lead to bad ends, or are structured so that one choice is clearly suboptimal. The only reason you might go for the non-simpy answers is for roleplaying (and willingly missing out on content).

Of course, it's unreasonable to expect EVERY choice to have meaningful splits, but this game is leaning too heavily into the railroading choices. It makes it hard to play the MC how you want if you are at the same time conscious of the inner workings of VNs.

edit:
So let's take a look at Alice. Obviously, we gotta help her out or there is no story. It's unreasonable to expect that there is some wildly different route for her. My initial playthrough was a blind run. This random, murderous girl is holding the MC at gunpoint. The way I'm picturing the MC (typical cynical dude), his tolerance for her is already at rock bottom. So I just keep choosing the choices that reflect this attitude. Finally, the game forces you to go save her. MC has this unnatural desire to help her at the risk of his own life, despite the fact that she threatened to kill you (and does so if you get the bad end). At this point, it kinda doesn't make sense for you to keep being distant and cold towards her, because it is starting to go against the natural flow of the narrative. Why is he continuing to help her if he is not interested in her? So now, I might as well go back and pick up the points for her so I don't miss out on content for no reason.

Just as a thought experiment, we could try to think of a way to present a slight variation for a non-simp relationship with her. If you don't have enough trust/love points (or accrue some bad variables) with her by a certain point in the story, the nature of the relationship could become a more transactional affair. Either a promise of money or her offering her body in exchange for his help. You could keep the same events for the most part with some modified dialogues and such. It is certainly an increase in workload to write alternate dialogues and contingencies based on their relationship status, though.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect the dev to go back and change things at this stage, but I just wanted to point out the current state of the game. Or at least how it felt like to me. The game has the disclaimer that choices matter a lot, but truthfully, I don't consider most of these choices to be actual choices. The only real choices are picking the girls to hang out with and the occasional ones that have opposing point gains. The vast majority of choices have a clearly right answer like doing something nice vs not doing something nice. You could argue that finding these right answers is part of the gameplay, but they stop being meaningful choices at that point. It just becomes a point hunting mini game.

Last edited:

Crispy Chicken

Sandwich Lover
Game Developer
Jun 30, 2020
idk it its just something that was overlooked but when i try to download the windows version of the game they all say 0.03 instead of 0.3.3 im just thinking its gonna cause some confusion
I changed the version numbering. The next update would be released as 0.4.0. Sorry bout that

Crispy Chicken

Sandwich Lover
Game Developer
Jun 30, 2020
I'm liking it so far, but I feel like the MC is railroaded pretty heavily into being a simp.

To elaborate, most choices in this game look like this:

Do/say simpy thing - Get love/trust/friendship whatever.
Do/say something else - get nothing or get minus points in the "good" variables

In general, I believe choices are much more effective when structured like this.

Do/say simpy thing - get love/trust/etc.
Do/say pervy/callous/evil/alpha/selfish/etc. things - get corrupt/break/submission/etc. points or results

Jessica cafe scene was done pretty well. You could neg her by playing into her insecurity, or build her up. And you get points to represent that. Most other choices are not actual choices. They either lead to bad ends, or are structured so that one choice is clearly suboptimal. The only reason you might go for the non-simpy answers is for roleplaying (and willingly missing out on content).

Of course, it's unreasonable to expect EVERY choice to have meaningful splits, but this game is leaning too heavily into the railroading choices. It makes it hard to play the MC how you want if you are at the same time conscious of the inner workings of VNs.

edit:
So let's take a look at Alice. Obviously, we gotta help her out or there is no story. It's unreasonable to expect that there is some wildly different route for her. My initial playthrough was a blind run. This random, murderous girl is holding the MC at gunpoint. The way I'm picturing the MC (typical cynical dude), his tolerance for her is already at rock bottom. So I just keep choosing the choices that reflect this attitude. Finally, the game forces you to go save her. MC has this unnatural desire to help her at the risk of his own life, despite the fact that she threatened to kill you (and does so if you get the bad end). At this point, it kinda doesn't make sense for you to keep being distant and cold towards her, because it is starting to go against the natural flow of the narrative. Why is he continuing to help her if he is not interested in her? So now, I might as well go back and pick up the points for her so I don't miss out on content for no reason.

Just as a thought experiment, we could try to think of a way to present a slight variation for a non-simp relationship with her. If you don't have enough trust/love points (or accrue some bad variables) with her by a certain point in the story, the nature of the relationship could become a more transactional affair. Either a promise of money or her offering her body in exchange for his help. You could keep the same events for the most part with some modified dialogues and such. It is certainly an increase in workload to write alternate dialogues and contingencies based on their relationship status, though.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect the dev to go back and change things at this stage, but I just wanted to point out the current state of the game. Or at least how it felt like to me. The game has the disclaimer that choices matter a lot, but truthfully, I don't consider most of these choices to be actual choices. The only real choices are picking the girls to hang out with and the occasional ones that have opposing point gains. The vast majority of choices have a clearly right answer like doing something nice vs not doing something nice. You could argue that finding these right answers is part of the gameplay, but they stop being meaningful choices at that point. It just becomes a point hunting mini game.
With the introduction of the first chances to reject certain love interests, and scenes are available to each of them, those points are gonna play a bigger role on the next chapter/s.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Demoness_Kiss

Thy4nd

Apr 18, 2019
is there any android compressed port yet?
2 weeks of waiting, still no compressed version.:(

Crispy Chicken

Sandwich Lover
Game Developer
Jun 30, 2020
is there any android compressed port yet?
2 weeks of waiting, still no compressed version.:(
For an official compressed android port, I'm still working on it. I've been trying ways to lower the file size by more than half, yet I'm not quite there yet. I've been asking a compressor for help in the meantime.

Reactions: Thy4nd

Jaango

Aug 15, 2021
c05_s04_059.png

The Arson Betrayal - Chapter 4 (Version 0.4.0) will be releasing soon! Patrons get early access to the update before it is released publicly.

The dates for release are as follows:

April 7, 2022 (EST) - VIPS and Federal Agents (and tiers above)
April 12, 2022 (EST) -
Whistleblowers
April 17, 2022 (EST) - Tourists and Fugitives
April 22, 2022 (EST) - Public Release

The Version 0.4.0 update contains an estimated 1,300+ renders and 40+ animations. Grammar and bug fixes for previous updates are also included.

As promised, Version 0.4.0 will also be made available with an official compressed version, trading quality for a smaller file size. Previous saves from the original quality version may still be used (Do inform me if any problems occur, but there shouldn't be any.

Lastly, some features are planned for the next update to fully immerse you in the city of Ablesmith, and to get a deeper insight regarding the characters of The Arson Betrayal.

Our Patrons receive exclusive access to Special Renders, Teasers, Polls, and many more. Of course, they also help in supporting the game.
Found any bugs? Feel free to contact the developer. Any feedback helps make the game better!
You can join us on and !

Cheers!

~Crispy Chicken

bjhbjh1234

Jul 3, 2020
View attachment 1744141

The Arson Betrayal - Chapter 4 (Version 0.4.0) will be releasing soon! Patrons get early access to the update before it is released publicly.

The dates for release are as follows:

April 7, 2022 (EST) - VIPS and Federal Agents (and tiers above)
April 12, 2022 (EST) - Whistleblowers
April 17, 2022 (EST) - Tourists and Fugitives
April 22, 2022 (EST) - Public Release

The Version 0.4.0 update contains an estimated 1,300+ renders and 40+ animations. Grammar and bug fixes for previous updates are also included.

As promised, Version 0.4.0 will also be made available with an official compressed version, trading quality for a smaller file size. Previous saves from the original quality version may still be used (Do inform me if any problems occur, but there shouldn't be any.

Lastly, some features are planned for the next update to fully immerse you in the city of Ablesmith, and to get a deeper insight regarding the characters of The Arson Betrayal.

Our Patrons receive exclusive access to Special Renders, Teasers, Polls, and many more. Of course, they also help in supporting the game.
Found any bugs? Feel free to contact the developer. Any feedback helps make the game better!
You can join us on and !

Cheers!

~Crispy Chicken
Thanks for the share. Can't wait for the next update.

Jaango

Aug 15, 2021

Fugitives and Tourists, get ready!

In less than a day, on April 17, 2022 (EST), you'll be able to access the download links for the new update!

The Public Release for The Arson Betrayal - Chapter 4 will be on April 22, 2022 (EST), so stay tuned!

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy it!

~ Crispy Chicken

tombeir

Oct 9, 2018

e

Now that Sydney's true identity has been put to light, what complications will this bring to our protagonists? Luna, on the other hand, is eager to meet Alice. Will you trust her? The clock is ticking. No time for hesitations.
  • The Arson Betrayal - Chapter 4 (Version 0.4.0) is now for Public Release!
You can download it from one of the links below:
OFFICIAL VERSION (Original Quality):
  • Windows/Linux: - -
  • Mac: - -
  • Android (APK): - -
OFFICIAL COMPRESSED VERSION (Lower Quality; Lower File Size):
  • Windows/Linux: - -
  • Mac: - -
  • Android (APK): - -
BUGFIX 0.4.1 (Grammar and Music Fix)
Download via
!
Installation Notes:

1. Download from your preferred File Hosting Site.
2. Install and extract .ZIP.
For Android users:
1. Download from your preferred File Hosting Site.
2. Install APK.
Found any bugs? Feel free to contact the developer. Any feedback helps make the game better! You can join us on and !

Crispy Chicken

Sandwich Lover
Game Developer
Jun 30, 2020
Does the android port have textbox opacity?
I'll be adding that to the list of my "to-do" so it will be available in-game, but for now I uploaded a relatively easy fix that works for both android and other ports. You can download it .

Jaango

Aug 15, 2021
Alice Dev Log.png

As I've said countless times, I love both writing and video games. Making a game by myself satisfies both of these. That said, I wish for quality and impact more than anything else. I believe anything, even if it's a video game (or an adult video game in The Arson Betrayal's context), can bring about the inspiration for change.

Ablesmith City is, of course, fictional. It isn't inspired by any real city anywhere in the world (although, if some resemblances do exist, I promise that it's completely unintentional). However, the struggles of our protagonists do occur in real life. An economy suffering from corruption leads to poverty; education is more of an expense rather than a right, and even those who are bound to uphold the law are the ones who abuse their authority over it.

I'll be honest. Anyone can play the game without giving thought to the deep context within. It's understandable. The Arson Betrayal, is first and foremost, an adult visual novel. Regardless of what the player wants when they play it, rest assured that I am truly honored that you have given time and attention to a game I worked hard to create.

I wanted to create every scene as realistically as possible, with every character written with individuality, and in a sense, to exude such personality in both their lines and expressions. I want to create a story that immerses the players in it.

That said, I want everyone to know of my plans for this game:

The Arson Betrayal will be split into different acts, each with five (5) chapters. Currently, we are in Act 1, Chapter 4 (Version 0.4.0). I've already planned the general idea/plot of what'll happen in these acts and the fate of the characters. I'm determined to see this thing through.

For my Patrons and Subscribers, I thank you for your support and hope for your continuous patronage.

Making a game takes both time and money, and your support helps keep the game (and the developer) going.

For the players of The Arson Betrayal, I hope you'll be able to share and spread the word about the game, either through recommendation or by leaving a review. Any feedback helps me determine what I can still improve, and what I can do to be better.

There's still a long road ahead, and I hope you will all be with me until the end and further, to new horizons.

~ Crispy Chicken

Crispy Chicken

Sandwich Lover
Game Developer
Jun 30, 2020
H

How to use this on android?
Go to your android directory, open Android/data and find the game's main directory, and paste it there.

For a more detailed discussion, you can send me a message on

4.50 star(s) 43 Votes