VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Best Days of Our Lives [v0.5] [UndergroundStudio]

4.20 star(s) 25 Votes

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
Hi, this is the writer of the game.

This is the general system the love routes will follow.

1. The MC can only date one character at a time. (There will be 1 route where he can get together with two characters, but the player will have to work hard for it - that route hasn't started yet)

2. However, after a certain point in the game, (if they want to) players will get the chance(s) to break-up and find someone else.

3. You can also stay uncommitted and wait for the right person. You will get second chances later in the game with anyone you rejected before.

---

PS: In 0.4, we messed up by not being able to finish the scenes for the 'uncommitted' route on time.

But starting from 0.5, the uncommitted route too will have a reasonable amount of content.
Oh right, that's clear now. Thanks for answer, this is gonna be very interesting :)

King Slayer100

Modder
Aug 20, 2018
That's the problem with multiple routes this early in the game ,let's say if you have 5 lis you will see only 20% of the content because you are locked in one path . Even if a Dev makes 1000 of renders per update you are getting 200 .
I can understand if you play 90 % of the game then select which li you want the ending with otherwise multiple endings don't make sense to me .

Jul 21, 2021
- The game has been pretty linear till now, but all your choices DO matter. (There are also scenes which are unlocked only if you make the right choices - So, choose carefully).
- There will be no harem route in this game. (If you choose a love interest, you're pretty much tied to that person for the majority of the game).
- No characters will steal the MC's girlfriend at any point of the game.
- The MC will not be forced to see other characters (friends or love interests) indulge in sexual acts with anyone else.
- (y)
- (y)
- (y)(y)(y)
- (y)(y)(y)

I just hope all the female characters of this game will be posible love interest if the player adopts the right decisions, and won't be any of them that turns out to be a lesbian and "friendzones" the MC in spite of the decisions, the MC won't be forced to share a girl with another girl, or something like that. It´s something that I have seen that happens in some games lately, and it´s like the dev enjoying by frustrating the player for some reason. Like showing a candy to a kid and then telling him "but you can´t have it" :LOL:

As a small suggestion, it would be good to have a tool to know how good or bad you are doing in the game with the girls. Maybe a "gallery" to know if you have unlocked all the possible scenes in every route, a system of points that can be seen during the gameplay, or something like that. It´s the first time I have played this game (that is great so far, by the way) and I have had the feeling of playing "blind" at some moments, not knowing if I was being too sexual with the girls, too tame, or what. :)

Anyway, great work so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElBandarra

Johnny Bravo.

May 26, 2017
I'm actually pretty glad that for once there is no Harem in a VN and don't get me wrong I DO enjoy that type on genre. Besides it makes the game more enjoyable and challenging in my opinion if there's no harem for a change.

Reactions: kartolas

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
That's the problem with multiple routes this early in the game ,let's say if you have 5 lis you will see only 20% of the content because you are locked in one path . Even if a Dev makes 1000 of renders per update you are getting 200 .
I can understand if you play 90 % of the game then select which li you want the ending with otherwise multiple endings don't make sense to me .
Which is exactly why (right from the release of 0.1) we have clarified that the branchings will happen slowly :) And though some players felt the game was too linear, we stuck with our decision.

However, at the same time, we can't keep everything linear for too long either.

At some point we have to start rolling out the branching, or the game might end up being too "rigid". (Causing the players to feel like they do not have any say in the game's flow/story)

That being said, we understand the scope of this project is quite big. And if we don't stay on the tip of our toes all the time, we might end up being overwhelmed.

So, as the developers, we need to find a soft-spot which balances the branchings and the development time.

Though we slipped up in 0.4 (by being over ambitious) - I believe we have the right plan to handle the branching efficiently in future updates.

Hopefully, we can show that more clearly in 0.5 & 0.6 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deoku

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
UndergroundStudio there is a variable typos in the "script 3.rpy" that trigger minor dialog errors.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I specifically remember a patron pointing that out and I ended up tweaking something in the dialog and changing the check condition as flopflop as well.

(I was unreasonably worried that if I touched the variable, somehow the save files might not work again :LOL:)

So unless I messed up something again, though the variable is misspelt, the dialog is actually the right one.

Still, just to be sure, I'll look into it again today. Thank you very much for letting us know :)

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: FAP369ZONE

LSC82

Jul 27, 2020
The solution to that would be a "playa" path, where you try to mess with every girl in town, and lie to each one of them constantly.
Since this game isn't suited to harem (and devs thankfully aren't going there) It has to come with a strong backfire possibility of course, which usually piss off players/customers because people just like to have their cake and eat it... but that's a decision devs are gonna have to make, personally i would enjoy a "manwhore" path that doesn't get a happy ending.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
At some point we have to start rolling out the branching, or the game might end up being too "rigid". (Causing the players to feel like they do not have any say in the game's flow/story)

That being said, we understand the scope of this project is quite big. And if we don't stay on the tip of our toes all the time, we might end up being overwhelmed.
This is why, I believe, given the complexity of your project, you should storyboard and/or flowchart each permissible route to the end. This way you will know if you have bitten off too big of a project for your given resources and need to either adjust the plan or add resources. That does not mean that you would need to adhere rigidly to your plan. But if you do decided to change it in midstream, you would know exactly the ramifications of the change.

Having such a plan in hand, it could be used to determine what goes into each subsequent release as you proceed.

Unfortunately, planning is not the sexy part of development. It is rare that creative people like to do it. But winging it can easily lead to disaster... as in abandonment.

Reactions: bacienvu88

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Well .. now that we know who to go with in this game, the gurl that
left us speechless, the one gurl who goes walking with us,
the same gurl who confesses she was intrigued to follow
the goading of our friends to meet up and talk to us,
the gurl is sure to be a good choice not to make any
of our friends angry and also keep them away from
horridly pranking us left and right with insidious emotional blackmail.

Reactions: linkinn

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Making MC feel left outside of group dynamics, making him
feel like he means anything to them and then just pushin him outside the group,
that is enough to drive anyone away and really think about his friends,
because being cannon fodder for their prankns is not being friends,
it is the same kind of bullying self imposed ”famous” groups of entitled maniacs
do to the less looker boys/girls, less talkative, socially impaired students.
That is never light and is in no way easy to get over, especially if
all your bullies ever tell you is ”get over it” like they just do not care.

deadh30775n

Mar 19, 2021
How many minutes(guessing it's not hours) of content is there for the latest update. I don't want go through the hassle of downloading it if there is only 5-10 min of content.

Reactions: alpharenji2
4.20 star(s) 25 Votes