desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 539, in execute_show_screen
    args, kwargs = a.evaluate()
  File "game/Scripts/Scenes/papers_please.rpy", line 323, in <module>
  File "game/Scripts/Scripts/choices.rpy", line 432, in showSkills
NameError: global name 'walkyMessages' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 63, in script call
  File "Scripts/Scenes/papers_please.rpyc", line 323, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 2015, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 2003, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/statements.py", line 278, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 191, in evaluate
    args.append(renpy.python.py_eval(v, locals=scope))
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2276, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2269, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
The Bite Revenant
Sat Sep  3 19:41:31 2022
On the first choice of Papers Please quest. I don't know if it's v0.62 but I re-downloaded it like 5 minutes ago.

Even super early game saves that I have gives the same error starting from this line. Gotta start over again...

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018

Even super early game saves that I have gives the same error starting from this line. Gotta start over again...
What was the last version before this release that you ran? I looked at the script files, and walky is definitely defined, at least as of v0.61 (probably for v0.51 when the walkthrough was added effectively as a patch file). I loaded saves from the previous version (v0.51), but IIRC I had restarted as of that previous release. I assume it's a problem with versions before v0.51 not having the variable defined, which I would guess is used to track whether the in-game walkthrough is present or not.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
What was the last version before this release that you ran? I looked at the script files, and walky is definitely defined, at least as of v0.61 (probably for v0.51 when the walkthrough was added effectively as a patch file). I loaded saves from the previous version (v0.51), but IIRC I had restarted as of that previous release. I assume it's a problem with versions before v0.51 not having the variable defined, which I would guess is used to track whether the in-game walkthrough is present or not.
Ok, that makes sense. I'm not sure what version I played last, but probably v0.5x that didn't have the walkthrough.

Oh wait.... WAIT. I thought you meant that dev himself added some in game walkthrough that messed up save compatibility, but I just remembered now. I used the walkthrough mod last time I played lol. I usually only use URM, but this game has a weird code structure that URM can't parse, so I used the walkthrough mod.

Since I didn't install the mod this time but the saves are using the walkthrough mod, there was the walky error I guess. Not dev's fault but my own.

Edit: Well, actually, even with the walkthrough mod installed, my old saves from last update runs into the same errors. Oh well. Gonna just start over and not use any mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I got this error after my encounter with Ciara during "Papers Plase":
Code:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 63, in script call
    python:
  File "game/Scripts/Scenes/papers_please.rpy", line 833, in script
    $ Characters[18].Glossary[1] = Metamorph
  File "game/Scripts/Scenes/papers_please.rpy", line 833, in <module>
NameError: name 'Metamorph' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 63, in script call
    python:
  File "game/Scripts/Scenes/papers_please.rpy", line 833, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/Scripts/Scenes/papers_please.rpy", line 833, in <module>
NameError: name 'Metamorph' is not defined

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
The Bite Revenant
Sun Sep  4 22:43:50 2022
Well now I got this error too. I'm usually able to fix minor errors, but the code in this game is like black magic to me lol.

Reactions: Anus Mundi

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Loved the story in this update.

It was a bit of a curveball that MC's creator was just a normal vamp. We all expected her to be a powerful ancient. Nice twist. I'm sure some WoD purists would complain about this turn of events, but I found it refreshing that there are some different mechanics involved in this vampire lore.

Learning about Zoey's past was quite interesting as well. The MC in my playthrough has not been simping for her very much, so I was glad that I still managed to pick up enough points somewhere along the way to get that small bonding event when hugging her.

It seems like our MC will start to grow from here on out. He has some grasp and understanding of his powers now and we picked up a few traits. Majesty is enabled by default. I bet a lot of people missed it, but you can go into the character sheet and buy the "Reflexes" trait that we learned from Zoey's memory. I don't imagine a huge amount of variations and character building would result from the skill tree (as the trait unlocks would likely be tied to story progression), but it's still an exciting system that, at minimum, gives you the impression of powering up in the RPG sense.

I really really love the dialogue exchanges in this game. Writing natural dialogue that actually resembles natural speech is quite hard. Most devs fail in this regard, even if the writing overall is enjoyable. For example, "banter" is something that almost always ends up cringy and try hard. In this game, I really enjoyed the dynamic MC has with Zoey when he does goofy and reckless things. Her quips always gets a chuckle out of me, and that is honestly the perfect balance when writing humor in an otherwise serious narrative.

madmate.games

Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 63, in script call
  File "Scripts/Scenes/papers_please.rpyc", line 323, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 2015, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 2003, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/statements.py", line 278, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 191, in evaluate
    args.append(renpy.python.py_eval(v, locals=scope))
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2276, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2269, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
The Bite Revenant
Sat Sep  3 19:41:31 2022
On the first choice of Papers Please quest. I don't know if it's v0.62 but I re-downloaded it like 5 minutes ago.
This happens if you used the leaked official walkthrough but stopped using it. I've put in a check in the code to prevent this happening in the future, but for now I believe there's still a link for the leaked v0.5 or v0.4 walkthrough somewhere around here. You can use that for errors to stop appearing.
If you're updating a thread and adding just 1 link, please report the thread so that mirrors are added, the title is updated, etc.
Thanks, I usually leave most of that stuff to the mods to figure out since they screw with the OP all the time anyway, but I'll try to remember to do it next time.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
It was a bit of a curveball that MC's creator was just a normal vamp. We all expected her to be a powerful ancient. Nice twist. I'm sure some WoD purists would complain about this turn of events, but I found it refreshing that there are some different mechanics involved in this vampire lore.
The WoD purists can go and screw an appletree, for all I care. I liked VtM and WoD and played it in the 90s/00s, but one thing I always had problems with were how they interpreted some of the old RL Vampire lore.
Heaviest among these are sunlight damage (mainly an invention for early movies with lacking FX and the cases where in old lore Vamps are suseptible to it very rare and those were mostly pure demonic beings), Sex (Sex and sexual connotations are one of the 4 main pillars of all vampiric legends, the "lustfull undead" were already a thing in Babylonian times!) and this Generation and Hollywood Clans crap.
So I am quite happy that "the Bite" establishs it´s own interpretation of the legends.

underoath27

Nov 22, 2020
Nice update! Finally some love with Zoey who is my favorite one. Can't wait for next update.

Anus Mundi

Nov 27, 2018
While meeting the creator i noticed small bug in the code:
Code:
elif getChoice("true_rulers_call_out_zoey_confessed"):
        scene meeting_the_creator_010 with dissolve
        mc "Hello, Anna."
        A "Ah... I see you were already filled in."
        scene meeting_the_creator_011 with dissolve
        A "I distinctly remember asking someone not to recklessly share that particular piece of information."
        Z "I was- plans change! You know how it is."
        mc "It was my fault really."
        scene meeting_the_creator_013 with dissolve
        A "Oh? And how's that?"
        mc "I just kept on pestering and guilt tripping her until she confessed she knew who you were."
        mc "I can be very persuasive when I try my best.
===>  if getChoice("warehouse_meeting_told_truth"): <===
            scene meeting_the_creator_045 with dissolve
            A "Is that so? Well, seems to me you failed to persuade anyone when it mattered considering everyone now has my description thanks to you."
            mc "What?!"
            mc "Oooh... you mean in the warehouse..."
            mc "Look, Anna, I was just... she-"
It has to be "if getChoice("warehouse_meeting_truth")"

Last edited:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
While meeting the creator i noticed small bug in the code:
Code:
elif getChoice("true_rulers_call_out_zoey_confessed"):
        scene meeting_the_creator_010 with dissolve
        mc "Hello, Anna."
        A "Ah... I see you were already filled in."
        scene meeting_the_creator_011 with dissolve
        A "I distinctly remember asking someone not to recklessly share that particular piece of information."
        Z "I was- plans change! You know how it is."
        mc "It was my fault really."
        scene meeting_the_creator_013 with dissolve
        A "Oh? And how's that?"
        mc "I just kept on pestering and guilt tripping her until she confessed she knew who you were."
        mc "I can be very persuasive when I try my best.
===>  if getChoice("warehouse_meeting_told_truth"): <===
            scene meeting_the_creator_045 with dissolve
            A "Is that so? Well, seems to me you failed to persuade anyone when it mattered considering everyone now has my description thanks to you."
            mc "What?!"
            mc "Oooh... you mean in the warehouse..."
            mc "Look, Anna, I was just... she-"
It has to be "if getChoice("warehouse_meeting_truth")"
Why on earth would you ever rat out your creator? Shame on you....:cry:

Well, unless you're trying to impress / woo the Arbiter, I suppose.

Havenless_

Oct 12, 2020
It is probably due to many things. That she's totally my kind of girl, that she reminds me of someone special, that her style is very similar to mine...

But, to me, Zoey is one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen in a VN. Beautiful in every sense of the word. Physically, mentally, emotionally.... I'm so glad that in this update we took our relationship up a level. Maybe not to the romantic point yet, but to the point of friendship and trust.

Anus Mundi

Nov 27, 2018
Well, what can i say? Runah was intimidating. :oops:

That, too. :love::whistle:

Well now I got this error too. I'm usually able to fix minor errors, but the code in this game is like black magic to me lol.
Same here. Well, i'm getting behind some of the code, but the stuff about the glossary and so on is, as you say, some kind of a black box for me. So i put a "#" in front of the line that's causing the error for now.

Last edited:

noobtrain

Can't we all get along?
Game Developer
Mar 20, 2022
I realize that a good number of scenes take place in dark environments but they are so dark that I had to turn the brightness of my monitor up to 100% in order to see anything in certain scenes. The fight in the alley with the two drunk guys harassing the bouncer's sister was the worst. You could have stick characters in that scene I wouldn't know the difference since my screen was 90% black.

Not being able to see the renders is a worse problem than it is being too light at night. Zoey's character renders are also often obscured with overly dark scenes. Please, let us see the beautiful renders. You don't have to make it pitch black to sell us on it being dark.

Reactions: skybarbie

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I realize that a good number of scenes take place in dark environments but they are so dark that I had to turn the brightness of my monitor up to 100% in order to see anything in certain scenes. The fight in the alley with the two drunk guys harassing the bouncer's sister was the worst. You could have stick characters in that scene I wouldn't know the difference since my screen was 90% black.

Not being able to see the renders is a worse problem than it is being too light at night. Zoey's character renders are also often obscured with overly dark scenes. Please, let us see the beautiful renders. You don't have to make it pitch black to sell us on it being dark.
I didn't have any problem whatsoever seeing those renders, and my own monitor is at only half brightness and half contrast. Do you have much brightness in the area around your monitor (are the lights in the room near your monitor bright, do you have sunlight streaming in through windows, etc.)? External lighting can interfere with perception of darker images / graphics on monitors. In any case, for me the darkness of the renders was fine.

skybarbie

Aug 18, 2022

I agree 100%. Far too many renders are obscured because the scene is too dark. Realism is good up to a point. Once realism is a higher priority than player experience then it becomes a negative in the game in my opinion.

The game is excellent overall.

The author did an amazing job with the lighting with the Emilia car scenes. I just wish this was continued with other scenes. You can see in the image below that the environment is very dark but a light is show on Emilia's face so you can see her clearly.

Emilia.jpg

Keep up the great work! It is an excellent game overall!

Reactions: noobtrain

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
We can all agree reality stops when scenes start, so those need to be basked in light.
For anyone who thinks film or television is done in pitch black with post production FX,
news flash: there are powerful lights drowning the whole production in light,
because all the small face details
are PARAMOUNT IN FILM AND TELEVISION.

So when we come to games where we see scenes too dark to discern face features,
we are dealing with sub par visual representations and we should voice our critique.

Loved the story in this update.

Learning about Zoey's past was quite interesting as well. The MC in my playthrough has not been simping for her very much, so I was glad that I still managed to pick up enough points somewhere along the way to get that small bonding event when hugging her.

It seems like our MC will start to grow from here on out. He has some grasp and understanding of his powers now and we picked up a few traits. Majesty is enabled by default. I bet a lot of people missed it, but you can go into the character sheet and buy the "Reflexes" trait that we learned from Zoey's memory. I don't imagine a huge amount of variations and character building would result from the skill tree (as the trait unlocks would likely be tied to story progression), but it's still an exciting system that, at minimum, gives you the impression of powering up in the RPG sense.

I really really love the dialogue exchanges in this game. Writing natural dialogue that actually resembles natural speech is quite hard. Most devs fail in this regard, even if the writing overall is enjoyable. For example, "banter" is something that almost always ends up cringy and try hard. In this game, I really enjoyed the dynamic MC has with Zoey when he does goofy and reckless things. Her quips always gets a chuckle out of me, and that is honestly the perfect balance when writing humor in an otherwise serious narrative.

Well, what can i say? Runah was intimidating. :oops:

That, too. :love::whistle:

Same here. Well, i'm getting behind some of the code, but the stuff about the glossary and so on is, as you say, some kind of a black box for me. So i put a "#" in front of the line that's causing the error for now.
I didn't have any problem whatsoever seeing those renders, and my own monitor is at only half brightness and half contrast. Do you have much brightness in the area around your monitor (are the lights in the room near your monitor bright, do you have sunlight streaming in through windows, etc.)? External lighting can interfere with perception of darker images / graphics on monitors. In any case, for me the darkness of the renders was fine.
I agree 100%. Far too many renders are obscured because the scene is too dark. Realism is good up to a point. Once realism is a higher priority than player experience then it becomes a negative in the game in my opinion.

The game is excellent overall.

The author did an amazing job with the lighting with the Emilia car scenes. I just wish this was continued with other scenes. You can see in the image below that the environment is very dark but a light is show on Emilia's face so you can see her clearly.

View attachment 2032084

Keep up the great work! It is an excellent game overall!
I think you could even get away with having brighter environments even at night because vampires ought to have enhanced night vision.
MC is true grit .. his life is a baseball match between many girls way more powerful than him.
MC needs allies and we should nurture all out new friends while charming the enemies just enough to slip away for another day.

Romance oN!

Eternity as the bottom feeder MC constantly is in this game
just sucks otherwise.

Reactions: skybarbie
4.50 star(s) 69 Votes