FunFuntomes

Engaged Member
Mar 24, 2021
No, she was his best friend & business partner.
There's a distinct and strong relationship established for them, long before he turns.
That is the type of relationship that doesn't get discarded.
He's advised not to return to her, but does. Specifically because he has that type of strong relationship, with her.
She ends up becoming a thrall.

Some bird at work who you've never spoken to before, then only went out with to stop her being sexually harassed by an asshole, is an entirely different relationship.
Not even in the same ballpark.
Comparing apples with oranges.
true... but if we compare what we the players knew about both Julie and Laurie (both names end with 'ie') we knew more about Julie.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Can we please end the argument (and related arguments) about the name of the MC before his transformation into a vampire?

At this point, all parties have dug into a defensive posture and seeing each other's perspective isn't even on the table anymore.

It takes a bigger man to end an argument than it does to continue one.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I think as long as we're being civil it's perfectly fine to argue. While I'll admit to getting a bit frustrated, I don't see a problem as long as we're staying on-topic and not too heated.

EDIT Oh, and I think the name thing has passed. Now (for me, at least) it's more about whether or not Jason and Julie are mere disposable plot devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunFuntomes

Aresss

Apr 19, 2018
I really liked it. Keep it up, man! Also, good choice of music. You do have a taste.

Oct 4, 2019
Just tried this one and i like it, it really has great potential from what i've seen so far... disliked Zoey's hairstyle :cautious: actually all these "punk-like" hairstyles for female characters are starting to annoy me a little but i'm character over looks kind of a person (to a point :sneaky:) so we'll bang, ok? :HideThePain:
Agreed on the hair [I snipped out the parts I don't necessarily agree with :KEK: ]. I was a little young back then, but I definitely don't recall sidecut hairstyles becoming a thing until about ten years later at the earliest. And from what I see the fad is mostly gone while so many Renpy VNs still have a Skrillex haircut in them.
Could be she's only wearing leather because she's always out on her bike (I already forgot whether she's seen wearing anything other than the sporty undies and her leather suit), but I kinda can see her as a casual goth, that crowd did exist back then.

Hey!
There's something wrong with your game, but I've been unable to reproduce any of the issues you are having. In fact, I don't even know how you could possibly get those results. The error message would be very much appreciated, and a save file would be great as well, but only if it's not too much of a bother!
Special magic that requires a lengthy recharge, clearly. Because I'm having trouble with conjuring up the exact same error message I had before and I only get one when I click on the glossary when I'm supposed to make a dialog choice. I guess that's of limited use since one is not supposed to do that anyway. The music's playing normally now as well, except when I press skip after the choice in the office (Just because you can't be with her doesn't mean you can't spend some time together.) and then abruptly scroll back again after the club scene starts. And I can actually reproduce the stat increase getting stuck on the screen but whenever I save and reload the game, it's gone or disappears soon so again passing on a save would serve little purpose. I suppose that means it was a bunch of freak incidents. I took my time to make sure these bugs wouldn't appear again or get worse. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but no news is good news in this case, right?

madmate.games

Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
Agreed on the hair [I snipped out the parts I don't necessarily agree with :KEK: ]. I was a little young back then, but I definitely don't recall sidecut hairstyles becoming a thing until about ten years later at the earliest. And from what I see the fad is mostly gone while so many Renpy VNs still have a Skrillex haircut in them.
Could be she's only wearing leather because she's always out on her bike (I already forgot whether she's seen wearing anything other than the sporty undies and her leather suit), but I kinda can see her as a casual goth, that crowd did exist back then.

Special magic that requires a lengthy recharge, clearly. Because I'm having trouble with conjuring up the exact same error message I had before and I only get one when I click on the glossary when I'm supposed to make a dialog choice. I guess that's of limited use since one is not supposed to do that anyway. The music's playing normally now as well, except when I press skip after the choice in the office (Just because you can't be with her doesn't mean you can't spend some time together.) and then abruptly scroll back again after the club scene starts. And I can actually reproduce the stat increase getting stuck on the screen but whenever I save and reload the game, it's gone or disappears soon so again passing on a save would serve little purpose. I suppose that means it was a bunch of freak incidents. I took my time to make sure these bugs wouldn't appear again or get worse. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but no news is good news in this case, right?
Hey! Yeah, I actually had some issues with implementing some stuff and today I ran into similar problems. The music cutting off is most likely due to the long wind-down and wind-up times of the tunes, so when you roll back they suddenly cut off until the new tune comes up which could take a while. And I managed to reproduce the notifications getting stuck on screen as well, it has something to do with fast forwarding and rolling back in some way, but as you noted, it's just a minor cosmetic issue so it's way down on my list. Thanks for taking the time for testing it out!

Sep 3, 2020
Hey! Yeah, I actually had some issues with implementing some stuff and today I ran into similar problems. The music cutting off is most likely due to the long wind-down and wind-up times of the tunes, so when you roll back they suddenly cut off until the new tune comes up which could take a while. And I managed to reproduce the notifications getting stuck on screen as well, it has something to do with fast forwarding and rolling back in some way, but as you noted, it's just a minor cosmetic issue so it's way down on my list. Thanks for taking the time for testing it out!
hey you know I love this game but I have a minor issue and it's no big deal if you can't fix it but I have an issue with Zoe's hairstyle it shouldn't exist in the 90s

but if I'm being completely honest I don't really like that hairstyle

I just think she would look better with regular long hair

but then I got to thinking what if Zoe was the one who created that hairstyle :unsure:

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Damn kids, thinking your generation invented everything! Something-something my lawn!

Seriously though, a cursory Googling got me this.

And like nearly every contemporary hair trend, today's side-shave was adopted by black women before others in the mainstream picked it up. Salt-N-Pepa have been widely credited with popularizing it in the late '80s after Pepa accidentally burned off one side of her hair with relaxer.
Emphasis on cursory though.

Reactions: Arigon

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Zoey is perfect the way she is!!!
Just saying.
And as one of the local vampire aficionados on here, I can say I have played through a couple of times. Sure there are some issues I have already raised, but ignoring those and just getting on with it, I can say that I enjoy the game. I am going to wait for the next update before revisiting my rating, but as the author is aware of those issues I raised and assured us all there will be some story branching that does not seem to leech (snicker) off previous works, then I am certain my rating will improve.

That said, there are several vampire stories on here of varying quality. I can say right now that my favorite should be obvious from my signature, but it is also my favorite novel on this board. Without reservation this is the second best vampire novel out there in my humble opinion, and could grow into one of my overall favorites as well. This could well take it's place in my top 5 of all novels or even higher if it continues.
Peace all!

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
I stand strongly with the Crimson color fiend about my dislike for sandbox. It is almost always a bad signal. Usually, if it can be done in a sandbox it means that either you have repetitive grinding, or that the story is not a cohesive story but a couple of random events that can be done on its own. I mean, if you need to do the things in order, as with most complex stories, the freedom that sandbox gives you is useless, only making you lose time..

Anyway, I do totally love what is in the first the first release and I hope strongly my fear is totally unjustified (I honestly have zero information so my comment is as useful as a million dollars in the moon).

Last edited:

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
TBH I am less worried about sandboxing than maybe I should be? I do not like it as a rule, but then again, I think implementation has a lot to do with how I would receive it. Am I grinding faction, or am I simply able to go out and dine on whom and where I like. Both situations could happen in a sandbox environment. I think most of us would not object to the second, and most would object to the first. I could be way off base here, but again, in the implementation of a sandbox I think the purpose and context will influence my judgement.

Now another matter or three. Name-
I do not really get the whole inflamed argument over this. I do want to be able to name my MC what I want to name him. Beyond that, I could care less what his name was before the embrace. I do think both Zoey and the creepy credential guy should pretty much insist that he change his name though. It is stupid to retain the old name, as in STUPID. AS IN INVITE THE VAMPIRE HUNTERS. AS IN CONDEMN YOUR OLD LIFE FRIENDS TO DEATH OR WORSE. Maybe that is plain enough. As far as how to make this all so easy, the coding for implementing this is very simple, and will work throughout the game whenever the name is needed. I can edit the code for the author if he needs someone or would like to make that happen.

Hairstyle. Beyond the already given examples, one which I really liked was if Zoey was part of the movement to popularize it. She clearly would not have invented it unless she is much older than she has already hinted at, which I do not believe she is.

Our Princess......... Clearly she needs some schooling in how to run a vampire city. I can think of several individuals on this site who are UP for that task, probably some would be more hands ON than others (looking at my bud Ayhsel)
I can already see that I would have removed a limb or three just in that one meeting, unless that sword is a prop. Fuck it, I wouldn't have even bothered with the sword, but I digress..... Balance and playing one side against the other and all that good stuff aside, sometimes you just gotta kill a mother fucker..... or maim them... or both.... I am looking forward to her upping her game in future updates...

Love and the hapless blood sucker. This is a trope. Yes it has value. Yes it can drive a story. Yes Julie clearly needs to be saved from the murdering psychopathic boss. Weirdly the MC was largely not interested in Julie until the day of his doom. So here we have a problem. Cute girl, into him, he is dead now... sorta... and can not have her unless he similarly dooms her or otherwise makes her his pet. Plus there is revenge to consider, and this, as pointed out, is a dish best served cold, but since we do have Julie to think about, it makes the problem more immediate...... That is what favors/boons are for. If for once, a MC can be just a little smart, and Andy or whatever the fuck his name will be, is at least above average in smarts if he is planning out how much jack off time he has at work based purely on the size of the stack of paperwork, then Andy could surely ask Zoey how things get done in the vampire world if you need someone dead but can not be associated with it for the natural reason of blowing the Masquerade or whatever we will call it when we talk about it here in this forum.

I am hoping we can be at least somewhat intelligent as we move forward. The MC exhibited traits prior to his embrace that would make him a budding vampire. Replay and read his thoughts and actions from the bar with our hot blonde milf, through the scenes till he is gutted. Note that he was able to deny the Vampfu on the dance floor. Something she was not prepared for. Since the author reads this, please think about these things. I am not trying to tell you how to write your story. I am merely pointing out the story points you have made already that set the stage for something pretty unique and pretty great, (and yes some of the scenes were also quite familiar as I have already pointed out, but moving past that to the really good points is where I am going here).

Anyhow, Peace Bloodsuckers!

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
TBH I am less worried about sandboxing than maybe I should be? I do not like it as a rule, but then again, I think implementation has a lot to do with how I would receive it. Am I grinding faction, or am I simply able to go out and dine on whom and where I like. Both situations could happen in a sandbox environment. I think most of us would not object to the second, and most would object to the first. I could be way off base here, but again, in the implementation of a sandbox I think the purpose and context will influence my judgement.

Now another matter or three. Name-
I do not really get the whole inflamed argument over this. I do want to be able to name my MC what I want to name him. Beyond that, I could care less what his name was before the embrace. I do think both Zoey and the creepy credential guy should pretty much insist that he change his name though. It is stupid to retain the old name, as in STUPID. AS IN INVITE THE VAMPIRE HUNTERS. AS IN CONDEMN YOUR OLD LIFE FRIENDS TO DEATH OR WORSE. Maybe that is plain enough. As far as how to make this all so easy, the coding for implementing this is very simple, and will work throughout the game whenever the name is needed. I can edit the code for the author if he needs someone or would like to make that happen.

Hairstyle. Beyond the already given examples, one which I really liked was if Zoey was part of the movement to popularize it. She clearly would not have invented it unless she is much older than she has already hinted at, which I do not believe she is.

Our Princess......... Clearly she needs some schooling in how to run a vampire city. I can think of several individuals on this site who are UP for that task, probably some would be more hands ON than others (looking at my bud Ayhsel)
I can already see that I would have removed a limb or three just in that one meeting, unless that sword is a prop. Fuck it, I wouldn't have even bothered with the sword, but I digress..... Balance and playing one side against the other and all that good stuff aside, sometimes you just gotta kill a mother fucker..... or maim them... or both.... I am looking forward to her upping her game in future updates...

Love and the hapless blood sucker. This is a trope. Yes it has value. Yes it can drive a story. Yes Julie clearly needs to be saved from the murdering psychopathic boss. Weirdly the MC was largely not interested in Julie until the day of his doom. So here we have a problem. Cute girl, into him, he is dead now... sorta... and can not have her unless he similarly dooms her or otherwise makes her his pet. Plus there is revenge to consider, and this, as pointed out, is a dish best served cold, but since we do have Julie to think about, it makes the problem more immediate...... That is what favors/boons are for. If for once, a MC can be just a little smart, and Andy or whatever the fuck his name will be, is at least above average in smarts if he is planning out how much jack off time he has at work based purely on the size of the stack of paperwork, then Andy could surely ask Zoey how things get done in the vampire world if you need someone dead but can not be associated with it for the natural reason of blowing the Masquerade or whatever we will call it when we talk about it here in this forum.

I am hoping we can be at least somewhat intelligent as we move forward. The MC exhibited traits prior to his embrace that would make him a budding vampire. Replay and read his thoughts and actions from the bar with our hot blonde milf, through the scenes till he is gutted. Note that he was able to deny the Vampfu on the dance floor. Something she was not prepared for. Since the author reads this, please think about these things. I am not trying to tell you how to write your story. I am merely pointing out the story points you have made already that set the stage for something pretty unique and pretty great, (and yes some of the scenes were also quite familiar as I have already pointed out, but moving past that to the really good points is where I am going here).

Anyhow, Peace Bloodsuckers!
Today we celebrated Midsummer Solstice, so I am going through one hell of a food-coma and thus I will be brief.
  • Agree on the sandbox stuff. Not a fan, but implementation can easily make it - at the very least - tolerable. If there's no grinding involved then I don't really care about it at all, in that case it's just a UI to navigate different events.
  • Name can be whatever you want, singling out people named Andy who want to play self-inserts just strikes me as bad form. This can and should be handwaved in my opinion, though I would like another lampshade-hanging in our first hunter encounter along the lines of "Sticking to your real name made you real easy to track" (maybe with a Zoey groaning off-screen).
  • Hairstyle existed before Skrillex popularized it, in fact my Googling told me it became a fad at one point in the 80s, so literally no problem there.
  • Andy was interested in Julie. She hadn't been working there long, but he rationalized that workplace romances don't work.
  • I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say in that last paragraph, could you elaborate a bit?
I'mma need a nap now, have a good rest of the year, folks.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
The thing is that even in the second it can potentially be a problem. If you can do them in any order, those two events are unrelated.

As I have explained in other setting, it is not that sandbox in inherently bad. It is a correlation thing. Most complex stories do require order for most events. Sure, you can do this and that in any order, but main story would almost surely require the right order. So by putting sandbox you are not getting much: if there are two events that could be done in any order, why go to the length of sandbox instead of a menu?

So the big benefit of sandbox is for either grindy stuff or when a novel is simply a collection of subplots that are unrelated.. That usually implies a worse story.

So there you have it: sandbox itself is not the problem, is that when it is usually used it means that the story is mostly worse of what you would do with a regular novel.

Again, this is correlation, not causality. You can have sandbox being amazing stories. But statistically speaking, most sandbox stories are not good compared regular novels in terms of story, for the reasons I've just explained.

Nothing says this novel cannot be one of the exceptions, though.

Our Princess......... Clearly she needs some schooling in how to run a vampire city. I can think of several individuals on this site who are UP for that task, probably some would be more hands ON than others (looking at my bud @Ayhsel)
You mean the blonde tall woman? That is like the least interesting of the characters sooo far.

I don't find neither her personality neither her physical appearance very hot.

Quoting myself
Love pretty much all the girls: the cutie at work, the quirky gorgeous at the coffe shop, our bombshell vamp mommy and our hot step mom.

Reactions: Ragnar

FunFuntomes

Engaged Member
Mar 24, 2021
Our Princess......... Clearly she needs some schooling in how to run a vampire city. I can think of several individuals on this site who are UP for that task, probably some would be more hands ON than others (looking at my bud @Ayhsel)
You mean the blonde tall woman? That is like the least interesting of the characters sooo far.

I don't find neither her personality neither her physical appearance very hot.
you two are threading on thin ice... talking shit about Runah.... not only she's the most beautiful , maybe Zoey could compete but I digress but she's also interesting. You don't become an arbiter just because the vampire you're in charge of has an influential mommy. the fact she didn't demand a lamb nor punished the arguing parties makes me think of two possibilities; her humanity is quite high and she doesn't want unnecessary bloodshed or she's one of those that ride the beast and even the slightest bit of violence would let her go into a fight or flight state.

Reactions: Carefree247

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
you two are threading on thin ice... talking shit about Runah.... not only she's the most beautiful , maybe Zoey could compete but I digress but she's also interesting. You don't become an arbiter just because the vampire you're in charge of has an influential mommy. the fact she didn't demand a lamb nor punished the arguing parties makes me think of two possibilities; her humanity is quite high and she doesn't want unnecessary bloodshed or she's one of those that ride the beast and even the slightest bit of violence would let her go into a fight or flight state.
That is all nice but the heart* wants what the heart* wants... can't fight that!

*disclaimer: by heart I might mean my heart or something else...

Last edited:
Reactions: mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
hahaha
I never said anything about her desirability or lack there of....
I did say Runah yeah that is her name, she did not conduct herself as a prince/princess/arbitor/archon/whatever title we want to use, should have. She rightfully demanded order, but did not back it up. Heck a vampire can regrow a limb if necessary, so take a limb off a low flunky to show you mean business.....maybe 6, there were a lot of them present....

As for Ayhsel 's preferences, I am just walking back out of the splatter zone. He is sloppy...... :D

So elaboration of my previous last paragraph...
The MC exhibited some traits that already would have made him a non dumb ass. I am simply asking that for once we are not forced to be a dumb ass. Andy or whatever, is smart, has some street smarts, has some savvy. Had the willpower to refuse vamp mommy on the dance floor. Let's not throw all that away and play an idiot that keeps his same name, makes all the dumb ass mistakes in the books, and doesn't learn fast. That was it!
Peace

4.50 star(s) 69 Votes