Others Abandoned The Casting Couch [v1.11a] [Hentami]

2.80 star(s) 6 Votes

Hentami

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2017
@ Trying really hard to find that sweet spot pace and balance so the game is not really a 'grind'. This game also provides you with 2 "cheats" in a way already.

While playing, there is a small "loyalty bonus" you can click when it's ready to be picked up
While NOT playing - you can gain offline money and social followers.

Should help!

Hentami

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2017
@
Thank Thank you so very much for the feedback. I think I will try a release without video and test that for people on WIN7. Thank you for taking the time to let me know your specific error!

ballsactom

Nov 19, 2017
im having a hard time getting my fame and money up. I know a game needs to have some grind but this is taking forever im at 350 fame and only 500 money. ive gone everywhere.is there something i need to do or someone to visit?

Reactions: Hentami

LoganJ

Feb 5, 2018
im having a hard time getting my fame and money up. I know a game needs to have some grind but this is taking forever im at 350 fame and only 500 money. ive gone everywhere.is there something i need to do or someone to visit?
Working several times at the same place (Hotel-Bar and Strip-club-Bouncer) can raise your tips up to ~50$ per shift. Every Day after sleeping you can work your social-Media which will give you about 50 fame. Moving to the apartment makes you more effective. Every ten Minutes you can get a Bonus by clicking on the "Ready" in the bottom right corner. Getting a Massage at the spa makes you more attractive and gives you 10 fame. Eating a steak at the Grill in the Hotel gives you 25 fame. Every time you close the game for a few hours you get a fame and money-Bonus (usually around 50 fame and 10% of your money over night). Hope this will help you a bit...

Hentami

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2017
@
FANTASTIC idea and will be implemented next version as toggle feature

Thank you so much for the help!

Still balancing and mapping out the 'grind'. I am completely on board with you about the 'grind' and will continue to tweak things so they feel like fun small stepping stones and not some huge climb - still working on it tho! Maybe the below image will be of some use.

Hierarchy Template.png

Reactions: ballsactom

ballsactom

Nov 19, 2017
Working several times at the same place (Hotel-Bar and Strip-club-Bouncer) can raise your tips up to ~50$ per shift. Every Day after sleeping you can work your social-Media which will give you about 50 fame. Moving to the apartment makes you more effective. Every ten Minutes you can get a Bonus by clicking on the "Ready" in the bottom right corner. Getting a Massage at the spa makes you more attractive and gives you 10 fame. Eating a steak at the Grill in the Hotel gives you 25 fame. Every time you close the game for a few hours you get a fame and money-Bonus (usually around 50 fame and 10% of your money over night). Hope this will help you a bit...
@
FANTASTIC idea and will be implemented next version as toggle feature

Thank you so much for the help!

Still balancing and mapping out the 'grind'. I am completely on board with you about the 'grind' and will continue to tweak things so they feel like fun small stepping stones and not some huge climb - still working on it tho! Maybe the below image will be of some use.

View attachment 77528
thanks I will continue the grind. I really want to get up the ranks

Igordb

Sep 30, 2017
The only time the game would 'access the internet' is when you look at the leaderboard or Message Board. I am very happy to share any source needed with any admins - or - I could certainly add a "do you wish to be ranked online" mode and then prevent it from using any access for those who do not wish to do so.

game is set for - 1280x windowed mode, not meant for bigger yet and absolutely would look horrible fullscreen. Apologies but while testing, this makes it easier for us.

The only current way I can reproduce any freeze or crash is if I spam slam buttons. Apologies until
investigate further... I also apologize I have never tested on anything but my PC and older machines would most likely not be up to snuff.

@xirbeus - there should be a folder marked "exit" - very bad on my part for how non intuitive that is and will update

@Zippity - fantastic points - i will add more auto save checkpoints to prevent that.

@zombie - excellent points on why can you see an area when cannot interact with it.

@Nightless - if ever get a chance to screenshot or copy the error you get, would be amazing

@SpykeV1 - Apologies as I had "WIP" and "DEMO" in the title but it was removed. So to clarify to all - "VERY WIP DEMO Wwith bugs and errors ahead don't play unless you're ok with early access"

Thanks for the feedback, apologies for the bugs (feel free to DM any screenshots to help find em!), will update OP as we squash and fix!

of Step Event0
for object obj_game_chapter_one:

DoAdd :1: undefined value
at gml_Object_obj_game_chapter_one_Step_0
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_game_chapter_one_Step_0 (line -1)

happens when game starts, right after "what shal the company name be..."

Hentami

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2017

possible fix in meantime, just delete the 'castingcouchdata.txt' inside the zip folder

Many sincere apologies, my fault playing with html5 and so many thanks for the report!

Reactions: LoganJ

LoganJ

Feb 5, 2018
@Hentami Many thanks for the fast fix!
And here come a few suggestions: Maybe you could use a second timer for the Video-Editing and the Social-Media-Promoting. Actually you have to wait over 10 Minutes for promoting the three Social-Media, which needs quite some patience to wait for. Also the waiting time for the Job-shift could be a little shorter.
Then I couldn't work at the Stripclub again. Is that on purpose or is that a bug?
Also the Social-Media-Promotion should not use a random Number to raise but a percentage (e.g. between 5-10% of the actual followers).
Normally if you work in a Job, you get paid some fixed salary and the tips are an addition to that. Maybe you can change that also.
The save doesn't help anything if you cannot load it again.
If you have the quest unlocked ist is not saved. After a restart you have to unlock it again if you haven't finished it.
The fighting-scene with Palmer doesn't end even if you leave the stripclub. Also you should rework the aiming-system.

Hentami

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2017
Thank you for the fantastic detailed feedback!

Just to clarify some of your thoughts (if you get a chance - no worries if not)

1. The Video editing Social idea - you mean add a longer wait in between to be able to start each one?
2. You mean make the "shift" be shorter (the wait bar for the job to end?)

Pay + Tips, I like it, base pay + random.

3. Save + Load again (you mean about the quest not saving - or did something else not save?)
3.A - Saving should allow you to skip the initial 'intro chapter' and start in the 'open world' or did that fail?

4. Cannot work at stripclub after you beat up the manager - that is working as intended. (but you should be able to sleep and then be able to work again)

Quest saving will not be saved for a bit yet, while I try to create the best way to build on the idea. (If I change it too much I may need people to delete save files which I think would make for grumpy people)

Fighting 'aiming' idea - would love more specific feedback if you get any free time as it's totally a work in progress. Was it too hard to 'slash' across the circle, too easy, or something else you felt? If your mouse is in the middle of the screen when the 'place to hit' starts moving it will auto miss.. that part I'm not happy with, if that's what you mean - I agree!

*fixed* Being able to fight strip club manager again after sleep - Thank you!

Much appreciation for your insights and feedback.

LoganJ

Feb 5, 2018
1. The Video editing Social idea - you mean add a longer wait in between to be able to start each one?
2. You mean make the "shift" be shorter (the wait bar for the job to end?)
The Progress-Bar for promoting Social-Media and Video-Editing needs ~ 3,5 minutes to finish each, which makes about 14(!) Minutes of waiting time for all four together. In the first Version of the game you published, it was about 12 seconds but the "rolling texts" were much too fast (unreadable). Also the progress-Bar for the Job-shifts did run quite fast. So I think you use only one single ingame-timer-function for all of them. Thus led to the suggestion to use two different ingame-timer-functions for the "rolling text" (to leave it as slow as it is now) and for the progress-bars (to speed them up again to about 15-30 seconds each).

With the Auto-save when you quit the game you still can continue where you left off, but then you don't need an extra save-button. A save-button in the game only makes sense if you can load that save while the game is still running (e.g. you made the wrong decision or want to try different paths). So we users miss a "load"-button to get back to the last manual save (per "save"-button). Actually every manual save gets replaced by the auto-save when closing the game and I land at the office, facing the computer after restart. Additionally I always got reset to Monday-Morning, no matter at which weekday I left the game.

I understand why you don't want to save the Quest-status yet, but the aiming-system with the mouse seriously needs a makeover as there is no real aiming possible. First, it is very unclear what you mean with the word "slash". Does it just mean "leftclick" = "Hit" or does it mean "hold leftklick and move mouse" to aim (Hit is triggered by the release of the left mouse-button) or what??? For the first possibility, the speed of the circle is ok, for the second one, the speed of the circle is much too fast. Now, if I hit (click in the circle) the body on my screen, I don't get a "hit" and the circle moves somewhere out of my control. "Hits" only come if I hit somewhere, very far away at the background on my screen. Changing the size of the game-window shifts all areas of the aiming again (Palmer moves inside the game-window!). So this should be somewhat static for every game-window size and ratio. After all, Palmer did beat me up and the fighting-engine didn't stop at all. Even after I was completely beaten and had left the stripclub, the hitting didn't stop and forced me to quit the game (aiming-circle, health-bars and the sound were permanently running). If you want, I can do a screen-recording how it looks and works at my computer and send it to you somewhere. Contact me via private message if you want more information.

Hentami

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2017
If you get any freetime maybe you could test the resizing of this and let me know results?

(link removed for testing, thanks to those helping!)

So much excellent points and specifics, thank you so much for that!

"slash" to me meant just "swipe cursor across the green circle" - I should have used the word swipe! May be much more clear then.

Reactions: MasterofNTR
2.80 star(s) 6 Votes