VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Changing Season [Ch.5] [Storyteller97]

4.10 star(s) 27 Votes

ReHash

Apr 29, 2020
Yeah. Just chiming in to say, this one was good and promising. Here's to hoping the dev's okay.

Crimsonfiend76

Herald - Super Naked Ginger Cuddle Time
Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Dev's fine last I heard, he's studying abroad overseas and does not have the time/resources to continue for now. Not completely abandoned, just permanently on hold.

Reactions: Spatenklopper

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Permanently on hold also means abandoned lol
I was more or less kidding, but I think the difference is intention. Abandoned in most cases means the Dev is permanently walking away with no interest in continuing, meanwhile he told me he has every intention to complete this VN and tell this story. However, it's going to happen at a much slower interval between updates whenever he get the time/opportunity to do so. It's why he shut down his Subscribe Star and Patreon.

xinkala

Bonk
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2020
I was more or less kidding, but I think the difference is intention. Abandoned in most cases means the Dev is permanently walking away with no interest in continuing, meanwhile he told me he has every intention to complete this VN and tell this story. However, it's going to happen at a much slower interval between updates whenever he get the time/opportunity to do so. It's why he shut down his Subscribe Star and Patreon.
well it's good to hear that dev is alright and he has not completely abandoned this game.
yea it's will take long to advance with the story but worth to wait:D

Reactions: Crimsonfiend76

JGNeon

Feb 24, 2021
Actually, I remember that S97 had to put everything on hold due to their studies. Here's part of their final Patreon post on June 22nd (2021), shortly before they shut it down (the bold yellow text is where I've highlighted the exact reason why it was put on hold):

I didn't ever plan on having to make this post. However, life comes at you fast. I mentioned in a previous post that I'd be moving next month. To give you a little more context, I'm going to another country to continue my education. I assumed I'd be able to take my equipment with me and continue working on the game from abroad. That's still my intention, however I learned yesterday that I'm prohibited from earning income as a student. This rule is strictly enforced and there's very little leniency for those who break it. I've researched all the possible ways I can continue working as-is and unfortunately there's only one way forward.

So what now?
  1. No more patreon. Maybe not forever, but I'd be lying if I said this was a short-term impediment. My degree will take four years at the minimum. I'll see if I can keep the discord running so all current patrons can continue using it for previews and general discussions. At the end of the month, this page will go dark.
  2. TCS will not be abandoned. Before I even knew about patreon, I wanted to create original stories. After playing a bunch of VNs, I took a crack at my own project and out came this. First and foremost, writing is a passion of mine. Although I will lack the means to continue working on TCS full-time, I want to see it through to the end, and I hope you do as well.
  3. Future updates to TCS will be 100% free to download from its existing itch.io page (and certain 3rd party sites). I'll be posting Dev logs over there as often as I can.
I want to express my profound appreciation to every single one of you for supporting this project. It's been a limited run but I'm grateful. To Pat and Reifon, you've believed in TCS from Day 1, and I cannot thank you enough. This is not goodbye, so I'll see you all soon.

So for now, it's on hold, at least until the summer of 2025 (perhaps longer). That is, if S97 decides to pick it back up when they've completed their degree.

xinkala

Bonk
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2020
Actually, I remember that S97 had to put everything on hold due to their studies. Here's part of their final Patreon post on June 22nd (2021), shortly before they shut it down (the bold yellow text is where I've highlighted the exact reason why it was put on hold):

So for now, it's on hold, at least until the summer of 2025 (perhaps longer). That is, if S97 decides to pick it back up when they've completed their degree.
wait a minute...why he's prohibited from earning income? just curious, never heard something like that before

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020
wait a minute...why he's prohibited from earning income? just curious, never heard something like that before
I spoke to him on Discord shortly before he shut everything down and he confirmed all this.

My guess is that if he's on scholarship, most academic institutions have real strict rules on the student not earning an income outside of whatever stipend they are already receiving in exchange for room/board/meals, etc. I have heard that some students who are even in high school in Japan are also prohibited from working at all so as to focus on their studies and or athletics/club activities exclusively and if they are caught breaking the rules, they risk being expelled.

4.10 star(s) 27 Votes