The Daz Studio and Related Product Deals Thread (Daz3D, Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Sakrilas

This sort of sale falls under the 'if you need something right now' category I think. It's marginally better than other recent deals, but as noted isn't as good as some of the deals we saw during, say, the Fall PC+ sale.

Unfortunately, flash sales lock out Daz+ coupons, so ummm...

There should be another (abbreviated) PC+ sale in June, and who knows, maybe March Meh-ness might surprise us this year (not planning on it).

Reactions: Sakrilas

Sakrilas

Just Another Member
Game Developer
Oct 26, 2017
Sakrilas

This sort of sale falls under the 'if you need something right now' category I think. It's marginally better than other recent deals, but as noted isn't as good as some of the deals we saw during, say, the Fall PC+ sale.

Unfortunately, flash sales lock out Daz+ coupons, so ummm...

There should be another (abbreviated) PC+ sale in June, and who knows, maybe March Meh-ness might surprise us this year (not planning on it).
Thanks for the response OhWee !

Good point, I'll hold on with those purchases for now. Nothing is urgent right now.

• Hey there
Reactions: OhWee

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Really?

1644220223030.png

I'm getting jaded I think ... nothing exciting, at least not at those prices ...

<rant> One of the "timeless Beauties" is the , attractive product and all that, I understand kit bashing and stuff ... but ... this lounge has 3 exterior walls and the fourth one has a fireplace ... with no practical room for a door ... how is it expeced to be incorporated as part of a building's floor plan? ... just lazy design</rant>

Last edited:
Reactions: OhWee and amster22

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
At rendo several interesting offers:
Products at 60% off for 24 hours
Products at 70% off for 48 hours
Some stores at 50-60% off until Friday

PS: if you are prime, do not miss this month freebie. A nice landscape by Truform
and February 20% prime coupon PRIMEFEB2022P20B5

Reactions: oaiki

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
To add insult to injury...

Short form, today's new releases only had a 20% off introductory base discount, not the 'at least 30% off' that has been the case for a LOOOONG time. Note that this means that new DO's are now 44% off (not 51% off as has been the case).

So if this continues to be the case, prereq buy-ins may be even more expensive now.

Needless to say, a number of less than happy campers in the Daz forum thread. Some have let their PC+ memberships lapse already, and currently aren't planning on renewing. The 'other store' was mentioned a couple of times.

Prices in both main stores seem to have been creeping up a bit though for new stuff. I was looking at some 70% off bargain basement discounts at Renderosity, and some of those items were still well above $5 each... others were in the 'around $3 range' though, so yeah.

Still, you'd think that inflation had crept into the stores or something...

The one thing that this definitely has done for me is cut my impulse buying down to almost zero.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
The one thing that this definitely has done for me is cut my impulse buying down to almost zero.
That's really what is came down to for most of us I assume. My main hobby is playing computer games but for awhile DAZ was actually able to make me spend more on their store than on games. And that just doesn't make sense because playing around with DAZ isn't even 5% of my time spent playing games. I was clearly suckered in with all the constant discounts.

Been much more disciplined this past year and it started when I was looking at the $1.99 PC for a Day items and realized that the discount doesn't matter if I'm never going to use it. My recommendation to everyone now is only buy what you need when you need it. It should save you money and the time wasted playing Shopping Cart Jenga during their complicated sales.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Over at Renderosity, there's a bunch of items in their Valentine's sale for 50% off, 60% off for Prime members. A number of these items appear to be Prime Coupon eligible...

There are a number of Sexy outfits included in the sale, so it's probably worth checking out.

As for today's Daz sale, let me know when the real sales start up again...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sakrilas and oaiki

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
amster22 , etc.

Sooo, do you think that, as suggested in the Daz forums, that a bunch of new customers have offset the 'regular loyal customers' that follow the Daz forum, hence they aren't as concerned about the existing customers, or do you think that the Daz sales team may be in a negative feedback loop where they keep hiking prices to offset losses, not understanding that people are buying less now because of the higher prices?

Short of the Daz sales team sharing their numbers, no way to know either way for sure, but the 'change introductory discount to 20% off from 30% off' thing smells a bit like desperation to me. Or, even sadder, callous disregard for regular customers...

Reactions: Sakrilas

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
amster22 , etc.

Sooo, do you think that, as suggested in the Daz forums, that a bunch of new customers have offset the 'regular loyal customers' that follow the Daz forum, hence they aren't as concerned about the existing customers, or do you think that the Daz sales team may be in a negative feedback loop where they keep hiking prices to offset losses, not understanding that people are buying less now because of the higher prices?

Short of the Daz sales team sharing their numbers, no way to know either way for sure, but the 'change introductory discount to 20% off from 30% off' thing smells a bit like desperation to me. Or, even sadder, callous disregard for regular customers...
The NFP thing will have had an impact on the customer base, I don't think it is a coincidence that the sales structure changed at the same time as the NFP launch; those customers have different priorities, objectives and budget structures. They will predominantly seek out the new, regardless of cost, as this gives them the lead on uniqueness which in turn makes the NFP more desirable.

This is also reflected in the Knight Quest promotion, the prize is "limited" edition assets ...

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Knight Quest promotion
a reminder that if you are into this, you will probably need to seek out "The Knight Series" quest product each week ... that is why it is a quest (I guess) ... although the will probably drop a hint on the store front ... and just to confuse, there is an older "Western Knight Series" ...

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
amster22 , etc.

Daz is really changing and they are doing experiments in their products/marketing. The starter/pro bundles have disappeared for a couple of years, but have you noticed that there has not been any "big" bundle with a numbered DO char for at least 3-4 months? The last was one was maybe Bonnie 8.1 in september. The few bundles that are proposed now are just some incoherent set of new/old assets and daz is not very pushy about them. Even the number of new items per day is reduced. It used to be 8-10, while now is rarely above 8 and there are some days without new items. New for a couple of weeks they have introduced "cloth bundles" where an outfit is a bundle and you can buy separately the shoes, skirt, etc, as independent assets. The daz+ exclusive (and expensive) items are another experiment and there is a new one today. And the (hopefully abandoned) season pass. And of course the NFT madness.
The reduction of the "new" discount to 20% is probably also an experiment and today sale is back to 30% off for new releases.

My first impression is that all this is very amateurish and that they do not really know where they want to go.

Maybe trying to target another kind of customers more "professional" than the usual daz hobbyists.
This could make sense. Objectively compared to professional sites like cgtrader or others, daz assets are cheaper by a factor 10. And professional studios have another approach to assets. While price is always a concern, it is less important as it is included in the project cost. And their purchases are less emotional and more rational. They rarely buy because it is cheap and "it may be useful in the future" or because they find the asset beautiful for some reason, but because they need it. And they will not wait for a good sale in 6 months if they need something.
This would be coherent with the bridges and with the fact that if you look in the product library in your account, you now can download native versions of most assets for C4D, MAX, Maya, blender, etc.
Only problem: if you want to target the professional studios you need 1/ to seriously up your quality assurance that is still one of the weak spots of daz and 2/ have a solid and responsive customer service. This costs money and I am not sure the daz management is in the state of mind to make this kind of investment.

Maybe they do not want to change their marketing target and just try to raise the prices, but they do that in an extremely tactless and amateurish way without any counterpart or even communication towards their customers. All they succeed to do is make their customers angry and this is never a good policy.

Honestly, I have no idea of what are the daz projects. They clearly want to make more money, but they do not seem to have any marketing strategy. In this business, there is no fixed price for assets and marketing is essential. You can make exactly the same benefit by selling an asset once at 1k$ or by selling the same asset 1000 times at $1, or anything in between. In either case, the problem is the customer base. If the asset is too expensive, you may not find any client interested. If it is too cheap, you will find customers, but possibly not enough to cover your costs. Presently, I have the impression that they are fumbling around, trying to see what is the highest price that they can get without loosing too much customers. But these random experiments and the way they just seem to advance in the dark are in no way good news for the future of daz.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Boogie and OhWee

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
Presently, I have the impression that they are fumbling around, trying to see what is the highest price that they can get without loosing too much customers.

To be honest, I don't care (anymore) about what they try to do.
I wrote months back "Are they trying to get money to sell the company" and I'm still with this idea.

NFT bullshit to jump on the "that's cool" train.
Badges bullshit to lure people in.
That funny "offers" since October (I think)
The now buy several items to get this great deal.

The fuck-up with Daz .16
Ghostlights and a few other problems with shaders.

This ridiculous forum admin telling me that plants are the best freebies ever.
For what now? 9 months, 12 months?

Whatever their new "we are so cool and have so many ideas" department of bullshit does.
I don't care anymore.

I've got a list of 200 items in my whishlist.
And haven't spend a penny at Daz for months.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: oaiki and OhWee

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
New set of freebies at daz3D

New set of vault items at $1 and $2

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
There's a few sales running at Renderosity right now. Some are 50% off (typical), others are 60% off (slightly less typical). Since it's 'Heartbreaker' themed, a number of sexy outfits are included in the sales. Some of the sales end today.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
DAZ Redefines "Free"

View attachment 1647107

** having said that, they do become free once in the cart ...
Well, most of them anyways. A couple are showing as $1 each in my cart. Now to see how fast the Daz web team fixes this snafu...

A couple were actually on my wishlst, in the 'when they go on sale for really cheap' mental category, including the DM Arena Ruins bundle (which I had most of the bundle already). And of course there are the usual 'freebies that have non-freebie prereq items'.

Reactions: oaiki

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Flash sale at daz3D 50%/60% with a new item/64% PC+

(Not bad, but you can do much better Daz! Try harder!).

(the sale seems to be already finished...)

Last edited:

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
At rendo several interested sales:

Some stores at 50-60% off until Friday

A bunch of items at 70% until Tuesday

Items at 60% (only today)

And Daz?
Some DO at 60% off, a large part of the store at 55%off (or 60%off if you purchase a $50 lingerie bundle) and new items only at 20% off...

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote