The Daz Studio and Related Product Deals Thread (Daz3D, Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Soooo, EVGA is exiting the graphics card business. They've been Nvidia exclusive pretty much since they were formed at around the same time that Nvidia entered the market in 1999-2001, so this is major news.

EVGA will NOT be releasing any 40 series cards, and once their 30 series (and maybe older) stock runs out, that's it. They are keeping a supply on hand for warranty replacements and such, but they have no interest in working with AMD, or Intel for that matter on GPUs. They are done.

I was seriously considering grabbing an EVGA 3090, but now I'm hesitating again. MSI is the other partner that has cheaper 3090 cards, but some of you may be aware about why MSI annoys me (see my archive thread and discussions about Uber Laptop here that I had to pull a sound card daughter board out of the system to get it to work properly...).

Anyways, yeah... I wish that I wasn't stuck with Nvidia because of Iray, but them's the breaks and I don't want to have to convert my stuff to filament or whatever, but yeah once I snag a 3090 or two I'm probably done buying GPUs for a bit. Not so much because of EVGA discontinuing their relationship with Nvidia because of 'lack of respect' on Nvidia's end, but because I'm pretty happy with using 'older' Daz Studio and 4.16 won't support 40 series cards, probably ever...
Damn, I have a lot of respect how EVGA handled the crazy 30xxx shortages with their waiting lists-everyone else just expected people to sit on their computers 24/7 to monitor sales availability. Have to wonder what caused this rift.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Damn, I have a lot of respect how EVGA handled the crazy 30xxx shortages with their waiting lists-everyone else just expected people to sit on their computers 24/7 to monitor sales availability. Have to wonder what caused this rift.
I'll let Jay and Steve explain...

Quick note, I do think that this is relevant to this thread, as it's a related product that we all have to buy if we want to render using Nvidia Iray in Daz Studio at decent speeds.

Schlongborn

May 4, 2019
Anyways, yeah... I wish that I wasn't stuck with Nvidia because of Iray, but them's the breaks and I don't want to have to convert my stuff to filament or whatever, but yeah once I snag a 3090 or two I'm probably done buying GPUs for a bit. Not so much because of EVGA discontinuing their relationship with Nvidia because of 'lack of respect' on Nvidia's end, but because I'm pretty happy with using 'older' Daz Studio and 4.16 won't support 40 series cards, probably ever...
I've seen the 3090 go as low as 1000€ here in Europe, now they seem to slowly creep up again. Maybe because of the strong dollar. Kind of interesting that EVGA exits the GPU business, didn't expect that to happen, though they never were as established here in Europe as in the US.

I would have considered getting one or two 2-slot 3090 (those are rare) to build a small iray server with it, but it didn't seem like it is really worth it, most time is still spent battling DAZ's UI, rendering can be done overnight.

I am also still using 4.16, I actually don't think you'll get problems because of DAZ or Iray, but because you'll be forced to upgrade your driver and then the older Iray won't work. I think this might already be the case, though I don't want to try it out.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I've seen the 3090 go as low as 1000€ here in Europe, now they seem to slowly creep up again. Maybe because of the strong dollar. Kind of interesting that EVGA exits the GPU business, didn't expect that to happen, though they never were as established here in Europe as in the US.

I would have considered getting one or two 2-slot 3090 (those are rare) to build a small iray server with it, but it didn't seem like it is really worth it, most time is still spent battling DAZ's UI, rendering can be done overnight.

I am also still using 4.16, I actually don't think you'll get problems because of DAZ or Iray, but because you'll be forced to upgrade your driver and then the older Iray won't work. I think this might already be the case, though I don't want to try it out.
I had to upgrade from 4.12.086 to 4.15 or newer to get my RTX 3060 to work, I eventually settled on 4.16. The driver side alone didn't cover it, 4.12.086 simply couldn't use the card even after updating my Nvidia drivers. Note that I had to go with a slightly older 'reference' driver as the latest driver had issues with my MSI laptop here (couldn't see anything on the laptop monitor, which was a major issue for me) and MSI hasn't updated the drivers for this laptop in years. Again, why I'm not an MSI fan these days. Considering that I paid large amounts of money for this laptop at the time (18.4" screen, mechanical keyboard, dual GTX 1080s), which is one of the last of an era (large laptops with bigger than 17.3" screens), only to have support for it essentially abandoned...

Thankfully, there's a thread somewhere on this forum where someone has archived older versions of Daz Studio, for the handful of us that still use older versions and don't want to have to jump through hoops to install the older versions by contacting Daz CS and hoping that they can help us out.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Ok, not to totally go off topic here, but...you guys aren't running 4.20?
I took a couple year hiatus, and when I came back I just downloaded the latest version without even thinking about it. Is there something I'm missing? (I mean, besides Ghost Lights, lol)

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Man, someone on the DAZ forums suggested DAZ going to a subscription format-which sounds both crazy and plausible.
That's Daz Connect with Offline license for local installs ... maybe DIM will be phased out and its functionality subsumed by DS5 and Daz Connect ... so the landscape is already there, plus that recent tie-up with the cloud rendering outfit would mean you wouldn't need anything local.

My feeling has always been: There is no such thing as the "Cloud", it's just somebody else's machine

Reactions: FranceToast

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I've had a few people complain to me in PMs about 4.20 crashing a bit more, but if you are making do with 4.20, don't feel like you need to downgrade. There were a couple of other things that 4.20 'broke' but I don't remember exactly what those were. Ghost Lights were updated as Nvidia 'fixed' the glitch that allowed the old ghost lights to work, but since you had to buy them again as far as I can remember to get Ghost Lights that work with 4.20, I didn't bother.

4.16 isn't perfect either, I do have crashes, but then I've had occasional crashes with pretty much every version of Daz Studio since I started using it back in early 2017.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
1663422631091.png

But as you can see beow the trigger is still the Full Price, so if you want to spend the time, you could get yourself a decent deal by hunting for something with a high percentage discount ... or save your time and money by not

1663422975027.png

Schlongborn

May 4, 2019
On Rendo they got their 3 hour surprise sales going again:

Several vendors on sale right now:

And don't forget there is an extra coupon that everyone can use for 15% off: COMMNEWSSEP2022P15B5 (also the Prime coupon if you have that of course).

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
On Rendo they got their 3 hour surprise sales going again:

Several vendors on sale right now:

And don't forget there is an extra coupon that everyone can use for 15% off: COMMNEWSSEP2022P15B5 (also the Prime coupon if you have that of course).
They finally got those to work, and on a weekend!

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
Managed to just miss that one. The new round has started. BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, just click the green DEALS button on any page on Renderosity to (they're automatically removed from the list when they expire).

It's really freaking lame of them, after the failed attempt previously, that they didn't give advance warning that this was the weekend it was happening (maybe they sent email? I unsubscribed from that years ago).

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
Managed to just miss that one. The new round has started. BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, just click the green DEALS button on any page on Renderosity to (they're automatically removed from the list when they expire).
I thought they showed all the vendor specials on that page, but there's a few more going on right now that aren't listed, although there's not as much of a hurry, and coupons don't work for them.

I'm not sure how to find more of these, I just happened to notice these in particular:
  • 50% off whole store, 5 days left ("Featured Vendor" on front page)
  • 65% off whole store, 21 hours left
There are also a bunch of artists whose entire store is 30% off.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote