The Daz Studio and Related Product Deals Thread (Daz3D, Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I am curious though, have you ever paid the list price for anything on DAZ? Or any of the stores? I've bought a few things on Renderotica that weren't on sale.

Reactions: Schlongborn

Schlongborn

May 4, 2019
Like, all these sales just get so convoluted
That is a specific sales tactic, the randomness is the point. It was even more complex when they still had stacking sales. It is "better" now in the sense that you feel way less like you're being rugpulled constantly (still happens though, maybe I just got used to it), I'd even go so far to call their pricing scheme "stable" currently.

I think I actually read that this tactic specifically originates from Utah (where daz is located), think that was on hacker news but can't find it anymore. Either way, it was basicly an article or comments about sales tactics that gets people to overspend by just throwing more and more discounts at them, which works well if your production cost is essentially zero (a 3D model is produced once and can then be sold infinitely often without any additional costs), because it doesn't really matter at what price people buy, just that they buy a lot.

Schlongborn

May 4, 2019
I am curious though, have you ever paid the list price for anything on DAZ? Or any of the stores? I've bought a few things on Renderotica that weren't on sale.
I made some very bad buys in the beginning. And the very first thing I actually bought was a Victoria 8 bundle at full price if I remember correctly. But even with the other bad buys I am thinking about, that was the only one I ever bought at full price I think.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Decided to peek in on Renderosity. It's more of the same, a few 50% off sale, and some items up to 70% off.

Hameleon is the Vendor of the Month!

I wanted to note one thing. I recently messed with one of Hameleon 'Easy' products, which are essentiallly geoshells. The problem with these is that they don't play nice when autofitting (texture maps may be messed up after the autofit). They still look like say 'spray on' jeans, which can look pretty hot, but just be aware that geoshells aren't quite the same thing as 'regular' models, and often aren't autofit friendly.

This is why I still prefer Genesis 3 models in my artistic endeavors, although there's a smattering of Genesis 8 in there two, and a few Genesis 2 models. Genesis 3 is the 'bridge' generation between earlier generations and Genesis 8, stuff will usually autofit pretty well to Genesis 3, with the exception of shoes which may go wonky.

Back in Daz land...

20% off gift cards over $200 (with the $5 new item prereq) is a good deal these days, so if your store credit balance is running low, today would be a good time to grab say a $500 gift card depending on how much you usually spend at the store. If you are buying say the $1.99 items regularly, those can add up pretty quickly. It's too bad that they modified that one coupon, but it was a one use coupon anyways...

BTW, the place I spotted that 15% off coupon was Dealspotr.

There's a few other sites that track coupon codes as well, but I usually have to google for those. Dealspotr sticks in my brain though, and at least for me shows the codes without smoke and mirrors using the above URL (which is in my 'autocomplete')...

A number of those codes are no longer active, but it never hurts to experiement with the various coupon codes, to see what still works if you have an extra few minutes to play around.

As for the 'random-ness' of Daz sales, I don't like to talk specifics about what might be, as I don't like to jinx things. Someone noted earlier that there may be Daz sales team staff watching this thread, which I suppose is possible, but a lot of the 'too good to be true' deals are discussed in the the relevant forum thread on Daz3D.com, and keep in mind that vendors watch the sales on their items pretty closely, so they report glitches as well as they don't like to 'lose out' on income.

The bean counters seem to have a stronger presence in Daz sales these days though, which means less 'crazy cheap' discounts and less discount stacking than we had become accustomed to a couple of years back. Which is why things like 50% off memberships (without special coupons) and say over 20% off on gift cards are aren't a thing right now, as opposed to say a bit over a year ago.

But yeah, catch-up sales in past Daz+ October sales do sometimes hike the prices a bit in catch up sales. This was particularly annoying last year (say $2.99 catch-up vs $1.99). The thing about this sale is that there seem to be a LOT more $12.99 bundles whizzing past this time around, so it's easier to miss those if you aren't a daily shopper.

But back to the cray cray angle. The goal of the Daz sales team is to get you to shop daily, and by having the wildly different discounts, well you snooze you lose, particularly as they aren't particularly good about telling you how long things will be on sale. Which is why this thread exists, to help people know when particularly good deals pop up (and lament about things if they suddenlly disappear a few hours later).

In any case...

If that extra 30% off memberships coupon that SomeGuyWithNoImagination mentioned is still working:
DAZ-PLUS-30
that's about the best deal ($29.49 annual) on an annual Daz+ membership (and yes, it 'stacks', adding a year to your Daz+ expiration date).

The October Daz+ sale is what I consider the best sale of the year in Daz Land (mainly for the freebies and $1.99 items and $2.99 Daz+ for a day, and BYOB 8 stuff if you haven't picked over those items a bunch of times), so this would be an ideal time to grab a Daz+ membership. If you are a few days late to the game, hopefully the catchup sale will recycle a few of the 'freebies'. Now is a very good time to do your Daz shopping if you shop fairly often at Daz3D.com.

March Meh-ness just hasn't been the same the last couple of years. The September PA sale can be good for stuff that isn't discounted particularly deeply, but I essentially go mostly into hibernation until the June and October Daz+ sales pop up.

There's been a lot of G8 and G8.1 era stuff in Daz+ for a day this year, so it's definitely worth checking that sale daily to see if something that might interest you pops up. Along with a bunch of older (Genesis 3 and earlier) items as well.

---

This is why I don't mind spending a little more for stuff at Renderosity, because they give us solid end dates, and the 'cash back' points help a tiny bit too. And the sales are a bit more predictable - i.e. 50% off is common, 60% a bit less common, 70% off is a particularly good deal, but is usually older stuff, plus the 'set price sales' which are less common, but at least we get expiration dates.

It'd be cool if we had a 'Daz deals' plugin with Renderosity, but yeah...

Last edited:

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I made some very bad buys in the beginning. And the very first thing I actually bought was a Victoria 8 bundle at full price if I remember correctly. But even with the other bad buys I am thinking about, that was the only one I ever bought at full price I think.
Oh man, I got Vic7 and Vic8 for free during one of those crazy giveaways a while back. And have never used either.
Decided to peek in on Renderosity. It's more of the same, a few 50% off sale, and some items up to 70% off.

Hameleon is the Vendor of the Month!

I wanted to note one thing. I recently messed with one of Hameleon 'Easy' products, which are essentiallly geoshells. The problem with these is that they don't play nice when autofitting. They still look like say 'spray on' jeans, which can look pretty hot, but just be aware that geoshells aren't quite the same thing as 'regular' models, and often aren't autofit friendly.
Ah, so is that why Hameleon doesn’t mention undress morphs anymore with their later products? Because geoshells aren’t really that morphable?

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
If that extra 30% off memberships coupon that @SomeGuyWithNoImagination mentioned is still working:
DAZ-PLUS-30
that's about the best deal ($29.49 annual) on an annual Daz+ membership (and yes, it 'stacks', adding a year to your Daz+ expiration date).
Yes, it works. I still had some months, but this is a good opportunity to renew my daz+ account.
(but I passed on the daz plus annual membership printing licence at $1.99 :D)

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
1665829632145.png

For the next 48 hours, members may enjoy select products at a fixed $5.99 price !

Offer valid through 11:59 pm (cdt) Sunday, October 16th.
Disclaimer:

Some vendors are participating in multiple sales events due to the various VGS & sale-events we have for October.
Some items may be in 2 promotions at the same time and price may be affected depending on the latest event. Kindly note that this is beyond our control.​

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
I guess 66% to 70% is pretty much the best deal you get from Daz nowadays (not counting Daz-Plus-for-a-day, BYOB, etc).

The other day they had a deal which was 50% off, and then three different ways to get 10% off (including some big buy-ins), all of which stacked. On the face of it that sounds like a pretty good deal, but in reality 50% + 10% + 10% + 10% is only 64% with Daz math.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
View attachment 2102032

For the next 48 hours, members may enjoy select products at a fixed $5.99 price !

Offer valid through 11:59 pm (cdt) Sunday, October 16th.
Disclaimer:

Some vendors are participating in multiple sales events due to the various VGS & sale-events we have for October.
Some items may be in 2 promotions at the same time and price may be affected depending on the latest event. Kindly note that this is beyond our control.​
1665858238678.png
This one is pretty nice-would be even better if the makeup/tattoos came with it!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Sooo, I was browsing characters today, looking for a particular model maybe (not sure if the developer in question hand-dialed her face in or not, pretty sure she's one of the G8F's though...). Anyways...

It appears that a number of Marcius characters (at least two that I've noticed so far) have re-appeared in the Daz Store as Daz Originals. About the only way you'd know that they are Marcius characters (besides recognizing them as I did) is by checking the file list in the read me, as the product page only shows Daz Originals...

Marcius left the Daz store a while back, and as far as I can tell hasn't re-appeared in the Daz store as a vendor. Anyways, just something that I found interesting.

For those of you that like a more stylized look, and/or interesting looking tattoos, skin textures and such, this may or may not be good news depending on how often these items go on sale, should you prefer to shop at Daz3D.com when you can...

There's a 10% off cart if you buy some new prereqs going on (probably not worth it unless you want the new items), other than that, seems like more of the usual today. Still waiting to see if we get a catch-up sale, seems overdue to me...

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
It appears that a number of Marcius characters (at least two that I've noticed so far) have re-appeared in the Daz Store as Daz Originals. About the only way you'd know that they are Marcius characters (besides recognizing them as I did) is by checking the file list in the read me, as the product page only shows Daz Originals...

Marcius left the Daz store a while back, and as far as I can tell hasn't re-appeared in the Daz store as a vendor. Anyways, just something that I found interesting.

For those of you that like a more stylized look, and/or interesting looking tattoos, skin textures and such, this may or may not be good news depending on how often these items go on sale, should you prefer to shop at Daz3D.com when you can...
I already noticed some former Marcius chars as DOs. Whenever I purchase an item, I enter it in a file with a description and a link to the product page to have images/content/etc. And I had to update all my links when Marcius left the Daz3D store. Some links were still valid as DOs, while I replaced others with the corresponding asset page at renderhub.

I think that this is part of the DO deal. When an artist leaves he can take back his/her creations, but DOs remain in the store (and the PA probably gets a financial compensation but I do not know the agreement details). You still have several former Rarestone or Emma&Jordi assets in the store as DOs items.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
There's a 10% off cart if you buy some new prereqs going on (probably not worth it unless you want the new items)
You mean this?

Limited Time Offer
Get an EXTRA 10% OFF* your cart when you spend over $25 in a single transaction
and use Coupon Code SPECIAL-TEN

* Items must be in cart simultaneously for discount to apply.
Coupon Code usable three times per customer.
Discount excludes New Releases, Daz+ Memberships, Gift Cards, Licenses, and FastGrab Items.
Cannot be used to discount items already owned.

It doesn't work on BYOB (8 for $2.99) nor Daz For A Day ($1.99) items ... tried it, on a $26.71 cart (all old cheap stuff) and 0nly got $0.35 discount ... it doesn't say anything about needing new items ...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
oaiki

I saw 'extra 10% off if you buy two new debut or still new releases' farther up the page, but I didn't read that closely. That's what I was referring to, but it applies to debut/still new only... sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
oaiki

I saw 'extra 10% off if you buy two new debut or still new releases' farther up the page, but I didn't read that closely. That's what I was referring to, but it applies to debut only... sorry for the confusion!
No worries, on my part I didn't see the one further up, have been skimming over things with buy-ins lately ...

Reactions: FranceToast

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Anyone here have dForce experience? I've been avoiding using it, but need to change the drape on this robe...

There's a simulation preset that is supposed to open up the robe so that the front drapes from the shoulders, but I can't figure out how that works. I've watched a couple of tutorials, but no joy (this is why I've been avoiding dForce).

The documentation for this product doesn't seem to help in this case either...

If someone here has a few minutes, PM me if you want to help walk me through this (so that we don't clutter this thread with a bunch of back and forth).

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote