The Daz Studio and Related Product Deals Thread (Daz3D, Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
Apparently the convention for Genesis 9 product names (and possibly all product names going forward) is to omit which figure it's targeted for, and whether it's clothes, hair, poses, or expressions. The Daz forum thinks it's because this stuff is visible in the icons under the product on the store listings. (And of course stuff like "outfit" is pretty clear. Also, poses and expressions have the same icon, so maybe they're going to require "expressions" in the name of those, and nothing in the name for poses? Not clear.)

This is a terrible design, as the icons are all the way at the bottom. It might be kind of okay if they were right under the thumbnail, above the name. But even if they did that, the product page itself doesn't actually have the icons if you get linked from somewhere. And if you go to a bundle page, it's got a list of product thumbnails and the product names but not the icons.

And I know this is bad in practice and not just theory, because I go through the same problem on Renderosity. It took me a long time to learn the conventions to recognize without clicking through whether something was a texture expansion for clothing or the actual clothing.

So IMO this new naming scheme is terrible. Daz marketing is so incompetent. I guess I'll be spending my gift card credit on old Genesis 8 products anyway, so it doesn't really matter (assuming people don't make new G8-compatible stuff), but I'm not going to bother getting any more gift cards.

Last edited:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Apparently the convention for Genesis 9 product names (and possibly all product names going forward) is to omit which figure it's targeted for, and whether it's clothes, hair, poses, or expressions. The Daz forum thinks it's because this stuff is visible in the icons under the product on the store listings. (And of course stuff like "outfit" is pretty clear. Also, poses and expressions have the same icon, so maybe they're going to require "expressions" in the name of those, and nothing in the name for poses? Not clear.)

This is a terrible design, as the icons are all the way at the bottom. It might be kind of okay if they were right under the thumbnail, above the name. But even if they did that, the product page itself doesn't actually have the icons if you get linked from somewhere. And if you go to a bundle page, it's got a list of product thumbnails and the product names but not the icons.

And I know this is bad in practice and not just theory, because I go through the same problem on Renderosity. It took me a long time to learn the conventions to recognize without clicking through whether something was a texture expansion for clothing or the actual clothing.

So IMO this new naming scheme is terrible. Daz marketing is so incompetent. I guess I'll be spending my gift card credit on old Genesis 8 products anyway, so it doesn't really matter (assuming people don't make new G8-compatible stuff), but I'm not going to bother getting any more gift cards.
My problem with the Daz store currently is that you can't filter by what those icons say (assuming they're even accurate, which sometimes they're not), and writing an extension/userscript to do so would be a challenge. The Daz store simply does not directly supply the metadata on what categories an item is in until until you scroll to them.

You can probably get that data in a roundabout manner using other metadata they provide, but its dumb.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
1666224096175.png

All Renderosity members can save 50% while Prime Members can save 60% on these products.

Sale valid until 11:59pm (cdt) Friday, October 21st*.

* Corrected to reflect the actual duration of sale. Please excuse our previous error.

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
1666247321629.png
Anyone who made a purchase during the Daz+ Sale probably has the banner with this code, and it probably won't work for people who don't have it (at least it doesn't work in my incognito test).

That's likely to be a lot of us, though, because of that massive Genesis 8 for $2 "Flash Sale" that was not so secretly an entire day long.

It should be noted that although the discount does not apply to New Releases, they do count towards the total. If you have a cart that is at least $30 and has some non-new items, you can benefit from this discount.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
A quick note. Bruce Lee fans should take note of today's new bundle over at Daz3D.com - Loong HD is an 8.1 character, so no 9 silliness to deal with.

Nothing against 9, but pretty much all of you have a plethora of 8 and earlier stuff that you can use with Loong...

At the very least, it might be worth wishlist-ing the bundle for later, when there might be a better discount when it's no longer 'new'. Buying the bundle now to get 66% off on the related sales categories (55% off * .75 (extra 25% off) isn't bad, but I usually wait for better deals myself...

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
I have got an orange banner giving a coupon to get $10 off a $30 purchase and maybe some of you also.
I was really uninspired by today and yesterday deals, but no deadline was indicated on the banner concerning the coupon and did not want to waste it.
What I did is to select in my wishlist a discounted item around $10, to add a $20 gift card to reach $30, and I finally only paid the gift card.
Actually, the item was not free, as I could have got probably 20% off the gift. So I somehow paid the item $4. The item was initially at 50% off, so the "discount" was 80% which is not bad.
This is a general trick to remember. The banner states that the discount excludes gift cards, new items, etc. This means that a $30 GC would not have been discounted. But provided you have a discountable item, you can complete the minimum purchase requirement with whatever you want. I use this method from time to time to reach the $18 threshold of the $6-off-$18 daz+ coupon.

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
This is a general trick to remember. The banner states that the discount excludes gift cards, new items, etc. This means that a $30 GC would not have been discounted. But provided you have a discountable item, you can complete the minimum purchase requirement with whatever you want. I use this method from time to time to reach the $18 threshold of the $6-off-$18 daz+ coupon.
You have to be careful with this trick, because if you buy a gift card as part of a cart, you can't use store credit, which means you're not applying your previous GC discount to the rest of the order. In this case, if you're only spending money on the gift card itself, it's not a problem, but in general it may be unwise.

Reactions: oaiki

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
1666343543973.png
Credit: Halloween by teffo

PRIME Day Weekend for ALL!

Have you ever wanted to try the ? Now is your chance!!

Great prices on new and existing content everyday!
Monthly freebie, prime sales, prime coupons and Prime Flash each month!
40 - 50% off NEW releases by some of our best vendors.
All for just $29.99 per year!

All members may enjoy prices until 11:59 pm (cdt) Monday, October 24th.

Enjoy your own Prime Weekend this October!

:unsure: do you think they'll extend existing members' subscriptions by 4 days?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Is this the first 3rd party Genesis 9 figure?

View attachment 2114752
If she is, she's not Genesis 9 sort worthy yet, at least not at the time of this post...

It's interesting to see them leaning more and more into the 'realistic' figures with each generation. I get that's a thing, but I jumped on the Daz bandwagon for the fantasy angle, not the 'how realistic can I make someone look' angle. I get that's a thing, but I'm more of an 'idealist' I guess. Of course, I'm used to the hollywood generation where a lot of people on camera were picked because they were stunning/beautiful/idealistic and of course Barbie dolls used to have impossible dimensions (busty, tiny waist, long legs) as related to 'normal' human gals...

This is probably why the Aiko series are my favorite character series in Daz land (6 then 7, then 3 pulled forward to Genesis 3&8 are my 'top' Aikos), and I'm kinda scared about what they will do with Aiko 9...

The Girl series was fun too, but I usually use Girl variants or a hint of Girl dialed in to lean into the fantasy curves a bit.

Victoria 8 didn't really interest me, 8.1 not at all, and 9 isn't wowing me either. I'm staying with Daz Studio 4.16 for the time being, so I couldn't use 9 anyways probably, plus I just don't have the energy to collect YET ANOTHER series of custom morphs for yet another generation. I'm good with 3 and to a slightly lesser extent 8 (not 8.1).

To each their own of course!

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I wasn't that impressed with the Fall Sale, but I am kind of in a post-sale blah, lol, even though I do want to take advantage of that $10 off $30 orange banner deal. Going through my wish list...again.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
and then there is this one too: 50% (65% with a over $5.00)

although the list price apprears to be around the $2.00 mark for a lot of the items ... might be more interesting than it first appears ...

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018

although the list price apprears to be around the $2.00 mark for a lot of the items ... might be more interesting than it first appears ...
Seeing a lot of the items from last weeks sales making yet another appearance!

amster22

Nov 13, 2019

Seeing a lot of the items from last weeks sales making yet another appearance!
In Daz english, category sales are daz+ items overdiscounted. So that's 50/65% off the daz+ price (which is generally around 70%off).
That explains the low price. But some of these items where in the byob sales at $3 for 8 items.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote