Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
what if steam feedback is not very good…:unsure:
steam users may be more interested in adult games like AI Shoujo and Honey Select
Can't imagine their reaction to a visual novel with few adult contents
anyway best wish to Hope and Deluca Family
The game is very well regarded here, in a community full of thirsty perverts, for reasons that don't have much to do with its sexual content or scarcity thereof. What makes this game excellent for many people, me included, is the plot and the characters. In a marketplace like steam, that's not as thirsty, I'm certain it will do well, as long as it gets discovered (which is another hurdle altogether).

Kaliba

Jun 24, 2017
The thing is, (I'm no expert but from what I heard and seen) channel growth seems to be a lot more complex than that.

Just because it is updated frequently doesn't necessarily equate to increase in Patreon numbers (take another mafia game Oath of Loyalty for example, a good game, which if I remember correctly had pretty consistent release schedule yet had nowhere near enough Patreon support. And with OOL Part 1 done, now dev has put up a goal which would allow Part 2 to be made, but there is nowhere near enough support for it).

Also, if the game has some kinks (like incest etc etc) which people may go crazy over, the update frequency would not matter, people would still likely support the game even if the dev doesn't release for 6 months or 7 months (the whole power of the devoted kink-fandom lol).
Seen at least 1 or 2 games (which I won't name) out there which I don't think are good games at all, plus update frequency has been awful to say the least, yet amount of dough the devs get due to the game having particular kink is staggering.

Having said that, I'm not saying Hopes shouldn't update the game frequently. In fact, myself and probably every DeLuca fan would welcome it very much wholeheartedly.
It's just that I'm saying even if Hopes updates frequently, the growth of the Patreon members may not be as great as one would expect due to a lot of factors which would come into play.
That sounds reasonable.

Maybe another big factor are the amount/quality of sex scenes?
Don't get me wrong, i really like the in-game character development pace and it would have been weird if the sex scenes happen to fast.

But with more frequent updates you would of course implicitly achieve the character development stage earlier where sex scenes/ more naughtier scenes are more reasonable.

Another potential problem will be steam. While i think the inital feedback will be positiv. Steam users are way more prone to review bomb (in-develompent, erotic) games if the updates take to long...:rolleyes:

Well maybe the incoming steam earnings encourages hopesgaming to go full time.
This dude was born to be a storyteller and not to work in a restaurant :D

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
what if steam feedback is not very good…:unsure:
steam users may be more interested in adult games like AI Shoujo and Honey Select
Can't imagine their reaction to a visual novel with few adult contents
Another potential problem will be steam. While i think the inital feedback will be positiv. Steam users are way more prone to review bomb (in-develompent, erotic) games if the updates take to long...:rolleyes:

Well maybe the incoming steam earnings encourages hopesgaming to go full time.
This dude was born to be a storyteller and not to work in a restaurant :D
I don't see it quite that negative. Steam has a gazillion of games, if not more, so people are looking for their niche. I don't think too many not interested generally in the first place will stumble across this game. And if - maybe they get hooked? I did the Steam travel starting with HuniePop and then discovering VNs there, which led me here in the end.

Reactions: JJJ84 and SuperLYC

Kaliba

Jun 24, 2017
I don't see it quite that negative. Steam has a gazillion of games, if not more, so people are looking for their niche. I don't think too many not interested generally in the first place will stumble across this game. And if - maybe they get hooked? I did the Steam travel starting with HuniePop and then discovering VNs there, which led me here in the end.
I have to disagree.
People who are into the genre or specifically the game, are more likely to be demanding/'emotional invested' and to actively follow the development, and per se be more demanding.

The 'i work half-time on the game' will not work with the steam base. Even with the 'in-development' tag, steamers (is that a word? lol) will feel more like they bought a game and not that they support a guy on his hobby side project.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I have to disagree.
People who are into the genre or specifically the game, are more likely to be demanding/'emotional invested' and to actively follow the development, and per se be more demanding.

The 'i work half-time on the game' will not work with the steam base. Even with the 'in-development' tag, steamers (is that a word? lol) will feel more like they bought a game and not that they support a guy on his hobby side project.
Ah, sorry, then I misunderstood your point, that is of course true. I was thinking/understanding it more along the lines of the other post I was replying to, that they have a certain (limited) expectation of how a game can be gameplay wise and may be discouraged by the VN style. But you meant the development style. My bad, reading before the second coffee is a plan that failed.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Even with the 'in-development' tag, steamers (is that a word? lol) will feel more like they bought a game and not that they support a guy on his hobby side project.
So do a lot patrons. It doesn't make them correct.
Absolutely correct that people don't manage their own expectations very well. But, really, that's on them.
Being on Steam, as well as Patreon, indisputably opens the door to more potential supporters.

It's like only selling your product in one shop.
If you can increase your market exposure & sell your product in 2 shops (& the new one's much bigger) then you have far greater potential to reach more people &, therefore, make more money.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Steam release is planned for after Chapter 1 is completed. In fact, I think it's why Hopes is moving to "chapters".
So people paying on Steam will be buying the whole first chapter of the game. But not the whole game itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJJ84 and SuperLYC

Kaliba

Jun 24, 2017
So do a lot patrons. It doesn't make them correct.
Absolutely correct that people don't manage their own expectations very well. But, really, that's on them.
Being on Steam, as well as Patreon, indisputably opens the door to more potential supporters.
I think the pressure for frequent updates is higher on steam than on patreon and i think people buy/support the dev on steam with a different mindset than on patreon.

It's like only selling your product in one shop.
If you can increase your market exposure & sell your product in 2 shops (& the new one's much bigger) then you have far greater potential to reach more people &, therefore, make more money.
I also think that publishing the game on steam could be a huge financial/fame win. I was just pointing at the fact that most people who buy an early access game on steam expect that the devs to work fulltime and deliver what they promised in the game description (Obviously its up to the dev what they promise in there). The pressure on the developer is higher.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Steam release is planned for after Chapter 1 is completed. In fact, I think it's why Hopes is moving to "chapters".
So people paying on Steam will be buying the whole first chapter of the game. But not the whole game itself.
That sounds reasonable and i think its a good idea.
Hopefully supporters will switch to patreon after they played the 1 chapter.

Otherwise the frustration of waiting for a new chapter will be great... since the 1 chapter took roughly 3 years to complete.

Reactions: whichone

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I think the pressure for frequent updates is higher on steam than on patreon and i think people buy/support the dev on steam with a different mindset than on patreon.

I also think that publishing the game on steam could be a huge financial/fame win. I was just pointing at the fact that most people who buy an early access game on steam expect that the devs to work fulltime and deliver what they promised in the game description (Obviously its up to the dev what they promise in there). The pressure on the developer is higher.
Unfortunately, many expect that very same thing on Patreon, too, despite it not being what the platform is about. I mean anything explicitely promised should be kept as good as possible, but that goes without saying for any promise within patreon or wherever else. But many people think they buy a product and are entitled to certain developments, time schedules, and so on, which they just are not.

Reactions: JJJ84 and whichone

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
I agree that frequency needs to be higher, for greater commercial success on Steam, but I don't think it's negative pressure, unless the dev allows it to be.
If I was a Steam customer, I would probably expect a full Chapter each year, or thereabouts, maybe.
If it took 3 years, instead, I'd probably still play the 2nd, if I enjoyed the 1st.
I don't dispute that they buy with a different mindset, but it's still on them to manage their own expectations.
Not all patrons think they're entitled to a completed game. A number unjustifiably do. It's the same thing.
Read the terms of purchase, before agreeing and paying, then they shouldn't have false expectations.
Yeah, bigger customer base doesn't automatically equate to more customers, but it does equate to more chance of customers.
Again, though, "they expect".
I would expect that Hopes would make clear on Steam, same as on Patreon, precisely what people are buying into with their support.
If they choose to expect something other than that, it's on them.
As it's the whole chapter that's being released there, it's a moot point, really.
That's what they purchase & that's what they'll receive. Chapter 1.
That sounds reasonable and i think its a good idea.
Hopefully supporters will switch to patreon after they played the 1 chapter.

Otherwise the frustration of waiting for a new chapter will be great... since the 1 chapter took roughly 3 years to complete.
That's a good point. People who buy Chapter 1 on Steam, but don't want to wait for Chapter 2, may well become Patrons. (y)
I agree with you about the length of time per Chapter. As I say, I would probably expect a year.
Half Life 2, Episode 2 took about a year & a half, after Episode 1.

But, as he's stated upfont that he's a one man team, working as a hobby, I don't think I'd be fair to place the same expectations for output on this.
Unfortunately, many expect that very same thing on Patreon, too, despite it not being what the platform is about. I mean anything explicitely promised should be kept as good as possible, but that goes without saying for any promise within patreon or wherever else. But many people think they buy a product and are entitled to certain developments, time schedules, and so on, which they just are not.
Can add "content" to that list of believed entitlements, also.
Those "My kink must be catered to!" types. lol
The opposite side, too - "I don't like this kink, it must be removed from the game!".
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JJJ84

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
DeLuca 1384676_1629494413348.png

Looking at the image above, I thought perhaps the events might happen like the following :sneaky::sneaky::

Gracie and MC watching a video (on Gracie's laptop).

Gracie: (watching oral sex) Why are they doing that?
MC: To give pleasure. It's called oral sex, but people also refer it as "eating a girl out" or "going down on a girl"
Gracie: Haha! That's weird way to describe that.
MC: It is what it is.
Gracie: ..... I......I want to learn why it gives pleasure.

MC: This isn't something you find out unless you experience it yourself.
Gracie: I knew you'd jump at the opportunity, Mr. Indecent!
MC: Hey, you're the one who said you wanted to learn!
Gracie: Unlike you, for me this is purely for educational purpose!
MC: Well, as I said, you won't find out why unless you've had oral sex.

Gracie: ....................(in tiny voice) Fine.
MC: What?
Gracie: I said fine! Go down on me!
MC: (thinks to himself) 'I just don't get this girl'

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Can add "content" to that list of believed entitlements, also.
Those "My kink must be catered to!" types. lol
The opposite side, too - "I don't like this kink, it must be removed from the game!".
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Otherwise known as the Cult of Filius Canis.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
View attachment 1364189

Looking at the image above, I thought perhaps the events might happen like the following :sneaky::sneaky::

MC: To give pleasure. It's called oral sex, but people also refer it as "eating a girl out" or "going down on a girl"

That definitely sounds like Gracie!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: c3p0 and JJJ84

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
If I didn't know her any better, I might be inclined to say "Damn girl, your mixed signals are confusing the heck out of me. You need to make up your mind." :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
Fuck it, if she wants to call it "education", I'm game.
As long as it gets me inside her, she can call it "divine inspiration" for all I care! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: nekdo and JJJ84

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
View attachment 1364189

Going for ghost writer?:sneaky:

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
A silly question:

Are there any, well... let's call it"dangers" - because lack of a better fitting therm, for a dev (any dev who decides to take this step) to put a game on steam? Is this in any way connected with financial obligations or the equivalent? Or can a dev just throw his stuff on steam with a hit or shit mindset and watch what happens?

/e fixed to obvious terrible grammar mistakes :D

Last edited:

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
A silly question:

As there any, well... let's call it"dangers" - because lack of a better fitting therm, for a dev (any dev who decides to take this step) to put a geam on steam? Is this in any way connected with financial obligations or the equivalent? Or can a dev just throw his stuff on steam with a hit or shit mindset and watch what happens?
As far as I'm aware there's an admin cost of a 100 bucks or something. Once up there's review process to make sure the game's worth a damn and not just a "Hello World" type thing, but beyond that you're golden.

There's some guidelines Steam enforce from games on its store, but it's pretty high level. Obviously they used to ban all sexually explicit games but now they're allowed so long as it's not too extreme I'd guess.

4.40 star(s) 494 Votes