Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Anything made with RenPy is a visual novel by default. It's a visual novel engine. Some of those visual novels have interactive choices which means they are also games. Others don't have that, so they are kinetic novels (not really games) and usually tagged as such. The amount of reading one likes or dislikes doing, is completely irrelevant to something being a game or not.
I've often felt that the labels Visual Novel and Kinetic Novel are misapplied. Kinetic Novel sounds like a novel that has more interaction. Yes, I know that the term Visual Novel was first, but Kinetic Novel sounds more dynamic than merely "visual."

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
I've often felt that the labels Visual Novel and Kinetic Novel are misapplied. Kinetic Novel sounds like a novel that has more interaction. Yes, I know that the term Visual Novel was first, but Kinetic Novel sounds more dynamic than merely "visual."
Static Novel would be better because it doesn't move or change with choices

Kinetic should have motion and therefore change with choices

Just my 2 pennies (US)

Reactions: shitass1001

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Anything made with RenPy is a visual novel by default. It's a visual novel engine. Some of those visual novels have interactive choices which means they are also games. Others don't have that, so they are kinetic novels (not really games) and usually tagged as such. The amount of reading one likes or dislikes doing, is completely irrelevant to something being a game or not.
Not so sure about the first part actually. Yes, the idea of RenPy is easing the creation of VNs but people made very un-VN-like stuff over the years and we can even make this go further. It is possible to make a calculator in RenPy. Not the best way to program a calculator for sure, and probably not the most comfortable calculator to use later on, but a calculator it would be. And as countless students will attest to, that ain't a game ;)

Completely agree about the question of text amount being removed from any "game or no" discussion though.

Reactions: c3p0

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I always understood the "Kinetic" term as referring to Newton's Law of Motion - a story in motion will stay in motion or suchlike - but I could be completely wrong. I too find the name confusing but it is what it is and stuff like that happens in "real" terminologies all the time as well, afraid we just gotta roll with it. Maybe the idea is to keep out newcomers who try to apply logic to terminology and we old experienced guys can be all smug with a "Nah, that's not what it means" reply?

Reactions: Dragon59

AL.d

Sep 26, 2016
I don't get why it's called "kinetic" either, since it's non-interactive, but it is what is...

Not so sure about the first part actually. Yes, the idea of RenPy is easing the creation of VNs but people made very un-VN-like stuff over the years and we can even make this go further. It is possible to make a calculator in RenPy. Not the best way to program a calculator for sure, and probably not the most comfortable calculator to use later on, but a calculator it would be. And as countless students will attest to, that ain't a game ;)

Completely agree about the question of text amount being removed from any "game or no" discussion though.
Well yes, you can do more than VN with it. But its creators made it as a VN engine. And anyone using it for other genres is probably punishing themselves. I 've seen games with custom rpg combat mechanics in Renpy and left wondering why the hell can't you use the engine that is actually made for rpg combat...I get the feeling it usually happens to devs who aren't completely sure what game they started making. Something that kinda happened to this one too I think.

Reactions: Dragon59

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Well yes, you can do more than VN with it. But its creators made it as a VN engine. And anyone using it for other genres is probably punishing themselves. I 've seen games with custom rpg combat mechanics in Renpy and left wondering why the hell can't you use the engine that is actually made for rpg combat...I get the feeling it usually happens to devs who aren't completely sure what game they started making. Something that kinda happened to this one too I think.
The latter I get. Even if ignoring the annoying RPGM movement (which you can - but it isn't made for it, so you can already punish yourself here as well) the mechanics are very specific and maybe you do not want that JRPG style to begin with. Also many other things about RPGM are more uncomfortable for the player which you might want to avoid.

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Well, game engines doesn't really belongs here. Nevertheless, for what use something was intended and for what someone use it are two completely different aspects.
I think, I've seen somewhere that one has made a file manager with Ren'py or something like that.

WhiteyG

Sep 30, 2020
Hi all. By all you should know who I mean. Not you JJJ.

Anyway I liked the update. Obviously it was very short. I’m a little upset. Not pitchfork upset, more like spork upset. Can't be to mad because I know more is coming soon. If not I am prepared to break out the chilled salad fork. Just saying I wouldn’t fuck around you know. ;)

Last edited:

dextrian11

Feb 2, 2022
One of the best games i have ever played don't hesitate just downloand it the story is very interesting graphics could be better but still its pretty good

bra809

Oct 8, 2019
I think it's a mistake in the new Isabel dialog when talking about what PC did with Gracie before. It says that Gracie is saying the line, instead of Isabel.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
So im confused - I just finished the current playthrough, what exactly did 9.0 add? Because it feels the exact same as last version, aside from the Grace/family dinner table at very end.

But all the missions are the same, all the quests are the same (I did notice the spycams were new as opposed to just audio). I love this overall universe and this game is in my top 5 so I was kinda disappointed to see not a whole lot of new game scene stuff (there may have been a lot more of the cutscene segment renders added I dont know, as I usually just blow through those).

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
So im confused - I just finished the current playthrough, what exactly did 9.0 add? Because it feels the exact same as last version, aside from the Grace/family dinner table at very end.

But all the missions are the same, all the quests are the same (I did notice the spycams were new as opposed to just audio). I love this overall universe and this game is in my top 5 so I was kinda disappointed to see not a whole lot of new game scene stuff (there may have been a lot more of the cutscene segment renders added I dont know, as I usually just blow through those).
v0.09 added the following (in comparison to v0.08):

- TriaQuaedam : basically it was a Isabel lewd event, but it's categorized as a Main Event
- Cogwheel : Story 11 from Main story. Ombra Family arc
- Death of a princess: Story 12 from Main story. Gracie/Family dinner table event you mentioned. Season 1 finale event.

Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny
4.40 star(s) 492 Votes