Floga

Jun 30, 2018
You know your game is gaining attention when you look at the reviews. I do hope you understand and know that 17 is a ridiculously high number of reviews for a v0.01 game, that too with an average of 4.88 ( yes I calculated xD ). I've seen completed games with 15-20 reviews averaging around 4 stars being called a success. So you know your game is off to a flying start and it's only going up from here :)

Darkjamin

Jul 8, 2018
I discovered this forum about 2 months ago, I've tested/played around 10-15 games so far, so I'm pretty noobie, but let me tell you that this game has by far been my favorite. Keep up the good work, I'm really looking for updates, more story and more to do, but so far this game has been a real pleasure. Thank you.

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
Gave this game a try because the underworld concept always grips me, I liked the start of it albeit I really would have liked if it was set few days back, just so could see the MC's life at least for a moment, how did these people find him, explain the contract, drag his ass and make him serve it. But we get intro in the car where you are wondering wtf is going on and also someone is trying to kill Alfred, it was probably an attempt on either Batman or you, but you don't know that yet. As I continued playing the further I got the more of an "anime" feel I got, which caught me really by surprise, I can take it small amounts before it starts to really irk me, luckily the dev doesn't go super obnoxious with it and kept it tame. I can already see where most of the plot threads are going to go, so I hope the dev continues to push out clever dialogue and entertain us as he did so far.
Probably most enjoyable two hours of game time I spent in past few months on WEG. Good job

UYScutti23

Patreon Rebel
Donor
Feb 26, 2018
You know your game is gaining attention when you look at the reviews. I do hope you understand and know that 17 is a ridiculously high number of reviews for a v0.01 game, that too with an average of 4.88 ( yes I calculated XD ). I've seen completed games with 15-20 reviews averaging around 4 stars being called a success. So you know your game is off to a flying start and it's only going up from here :)
That's true for sure.
Even some really good games (and unique) sometimes have like 10 pages on their threads and 2 reviews for like 3.5 stars, and that, after reaching 8th release.

Sure this one here has a really great potential. As long as you, Hopes, continues like this, it'll get into the popular games someday :)

Safetydummy

Jan 18, 2018
To my knowledge, there is only one other game which works like this, and it's far to be as good as this one. In the other game, it's just a split between free roaming mode and story mode. Either you corrupt the girls, or you advance in the story.
Considering I have no real programming experience- I can't imagine that this is an easy mechanic to implement. One misstep and the whole thing could become convoluted and ruined. It is fortunate that we have someone competent at the helm. :)

Reactions: Floga

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Considering I have no real programming experience- I can't imagine that this is an easy mechanic to implement. One misstep and the whole thing could become convoluted and ruined. It is fortunate that we have someone competent at the helm. :)
Basically speaking it's easy to do. It can be summarized like this :
Code:
If storyLevel < 2:
   "Oop's, you can't do this, you need to continue the story first."
and
Code:
If girlsCorruption < 2:
   "Oop's, you can't continue the story, the girl is not ready."
The way the other game done it is very similar to this, especially since you can't corrupt all the girls in the same time. So, either you have finished with a girl, then you can continue with the story, or you have finished with the story, then you can continue with a particular girl.

But here we are at a totally other level. There's the rank in the family, the stats, the girls' stories and the main story. And everything is linked. The progression of the main story will need that you progress in the family ranking, which itself will need that you progress on the main story.
In the middle of this, there's the girls, with who you'll not being able to progress unless you've reached some rank in the family and some point in the main story ; and perhaps also some point in another girl story. While in the same time your progress with the girls will determine if you can progress in the story and/or be higher ranked. By example, it seem obvious that at one point MC will have to resolve the problem between Luna and Cordia, what will probably mean some "good boy" points with Cordia, and the MC will need them at one point if he want to be higher ranked.

And @HopesGaming have to juggle with all this to make a coherent game where Luna don't come to the MC saying, "hey, you're a capo now, congratulation. Come here, I'll hug you", while you're still a newbie and she's still so uncomfortable with hugs. There's too many games around there where this kind of weird things happen. So, now it's our duty, while we enjoy the game, to help him track the few cases that he can have missed, and help him handle this in the best possible way. Therefore, never hesitate if something you see seem weird, don't wait for someone else to say it. We each play in our own way, so you can be the only one to reach this special case.
Listen to your leader, elect me as president, I'm the... Oops sorry, wrong speech :D

SmokinDragon

Oct 12, 2017
I downloaded this game on a whim, lacking alternatives, and having grown tired of "endless young man seduces all his relatives" creativity-bankrupt ripoffs. Within minutes I was riveted by both the story and the renders, and by the end of this first release I can honestly say its in my top 3 best first releases, and that Luna probably tops my list of favourite characters in adult games (and if the writing continues to be as good, could challenge some of my favourite characters from non-adult games as well).

The story so far has a very nice mix of mystery, craziness and heartfelt moments, the mechanics seems sound, and all the characters are interesting in their own ways. Add to that the renders of the 4 girls which are just fabulous, I predict great things from this.

5/5

Safetydummy

Jan 18, 2018
So, now it's our duty, while we enjoy the game, to help him track the few cases that he can have missed, and help him handle this in the best possible way.
A mantle that I gladly accept and will do my best to uphold. :) I cannot wait- for the next update, so that I can do my appointed duty. Lol

btw, this game is racking up more and more reviews- as someone else pointed out, it is rare for a maiden voyage to receive so much praise/attention. :) Great job HopesGaming!

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
btw, this game is racking up more and more reviews- as someone else pointed out, it is rare for a maiden voyage to receive so much praise/attention.
Yeah, there's game which are not that bad and have a thread since more that one year, and don't have half as many reviews than this one have. By itself it say more than the content of them reviews themselves.
After playing the game, we wanted to rate it, to share what we felt when playing it. It's like when you fall in love, or when (s)he answer "yes" when you ask him/her to marry you. It's a feeling so strong that you want to climb on top of the highest mountain and yell to let the whole world know about it.

saeko33

Dec 17, 2017
Couldn't have asked for a better start, and that is all thanks to you guys!
So thank you all who take the time to review the game!
First review I have ever left. I have high hopes for the game, It seems like you are a creator that actually cares about their product. keep up the great work, I cant wait for the next update

Reactions: HopesGaming

Harel

Jun 19, 2018
Nice start to the game! Played 0.01b and only had issues with the grammar (usually possessives, and things like 'you gonna' instead of 'you're gonna', as well as conventional aphorisms ('there has been some slight change of plans' instead of '...a slight change of...'))
...Also, I would love if people pointed out the mistakes! Because I myself sometimes can't spot them...
@HopesGaming I have an edited 'Introuction.rpy' attached to show how I would edit the English version. I'm not a pro, but I'm a native speaker, and I'd like to help. In fact, there are tools that allow side-by-side viewing and highlighting of differences (git comes to mind) so you can see what I changed.

Looking through the code a little, the Morality stat seems to be described as working one way, but appears to be coded in the opposing directions in some instances (increases with G's panties, decreases with Cams, increases with Audio, decreases with kill, increases with no kill) I used Notepad++ and the 'Find in files' feature to find the morality stuff.

Harel

Jun 19, 2018
...well now. I neglected to run my file before submitting it. Here's a proofread version of the file I edited. I changed a few more things, as well as fixing my typos.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks all!

@Harel Thanks for taking the time proofreading!
Also, nice spot with morality stat! Seems like I mixed the cam/audio morality.
But the kill is right. The second yes is actually for mercy and not kill. (So it looks confusing)

Reactions: Blayo and Harel

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
any console command ?
There's plenty, but honestly there's either no need and no interest to cheat ; especially since it can broke the game if you give a too high value here or there. It's a story based game, take the time to enjoy the story and hard works of the author, they both deserve it.
In the future I'll perhaps make a mod to speed up ranking (in total respect of the game as I always do) and raise money, but for now there's really no reason to speed up things.

Harel

Jun 19, 2018
Thanks all!

@Harel Thanks for taking the time proofreading!
Also, nice spot with morality stat! Seems like I mixed the cam/audio morality.
But the kill is right. The second yes is actually for mercy and not kill. (So it looks confusing)
I see what you're saying regarding my reading of the Kill/No kill change. I'm still slightly confused by the stat and its description. The game says:
Morality description said:
Morality should not be confused with right or wrong but more as to how willing your character is to 'bend' the rules and do what is 'necessary' in the world of the mafia. Someone with low morality has an easier time with killing an enemy, stealing and do specific missions, also low morality give you the options on different 'executions' options. How brutal it can be is depending on how your moral compass is.
Perhaps alter the word used here from 'morality' to 'dispassion' or even 'amorality'. One definition of amoral is 'Lacking moral sensibility; not caring about right and wrong', so Amorality could suit the stat increasing with 'wrong' actions better. Or have the stat decrease and keep the name as morality?

I have gone through freeRoamingLabels.rpy now. Would you prefer the files via PM, or attached here? Additionally, I'm going through the core game folder, not the translation folder files; how will that impact the effectiveness of the translation?

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
@Harel
Hm, I don't like amoral since the point is not so much that they lose their morality. But gain an indifference towards morality. Or coldness. Which is why I really like dispassion. Think that would be a good change!

Also, the only reason I made the stat increase instead of decreasing was that of ease of code life for me. Nothing that would be shown and merely for myself. So it would still count as a decrease in morality even tho I write it in the code as an increase. (I know, I'm weird like that haha)

I would prefer it here so new people can get the opportunity to get the corrected version. Doing it in the core script would not matter as long as it just the dialogue and screen text etc. I would then add it to the new files I'm working on now when I release 0.02. (Would love it if you would make a note where you edited so I can find it fast)

Also, a BIG thanks for taking your time proofreading!

Reactions: Blayo

SonnyG932

Jan 29, 2018
This game is absolutely amazing. I was thinking it would be like Alexandria which isn't too too bad but a bit weird when it comes to having a sex game and a organized crime game. It's also a bit grindy. While this game does have some grinding to it, right now it's not mandatory and it doesn't take away from the game at all. It just adds something else to the game and helps to compliment it. I loved every minute that I played and could not wait to play more or help my excitement for the future of this game. The only thing I hope is that it doesn't just get filled with pointless sex scenes or other things like that.

This is a good game with a good story and as long as it continues to pull in that direction it will definitely have a fan in me. Looking forward to see what's next from this game. I can't wait, great job so far you guys.

4.40 star(s) 500 Votes