Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
I changed to the newest version but since we are starting over save compatibility doesn't matter.
I personally don't care about a restarte because messed up saves. But I see dark clouds looming on the horizon with horror because of the 32bit.exe, from which whining about maleware pours over us because many people still feel it essential to use a virus scanner in 2021...

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
from which whining about maleware pours over us because many people still feel it essential to use a virus scanner in 2021...
I do use one. But I'm amussed by the people that find my AV say this file has a virus, thus it must have a virus.
AV programs are normal programs like the rest. They may have bugs and for sure won't work perfect.

As frail as the AV programs are, what other solution is out there that is better? Script blocks, ad blocks works for web browser. If you donwload a SW from a source you can't trust to 100% (and it exit none source, expect you that you can trust to 100%) then you must decide.

Use no AV and decide that the last few per cent are acceptable. Find the last few per cent inacceptable, then you need another part of SW to close the gap. None SW, thus the result can be lower with the security SW than without it. But no one can give you this numbers, so this is much more of a religious war than anything other.

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
I do use one. But I'm amussed by the people that find my AV say this file has a virus, thus it must have a virus.
AV programs are normal programs like the rest. They may have bugs and for sure won't work perfect.

As frail as the AV programs are, what other solution is out there that is better? Script blocks, ad blocks works for web browser. If you donwload a SW from a source you can't trust to 100% (and it exit none source, expect you that you can trust to 100%) then you must decide.

Use no AV and decide that the last few per cent are acceptable. Find the last few per cent inacceptable, then you need another part of SW to close the gap. None SW, thus the result can be lower with the security SW than without it. But no one can give you this numbers, so this is much more of a religious war than anything other.
A scriptblocker and the built-in virus scanner from Microsoft are completely sufficient. Almost 100% of all attacks on the PC in the web browser are carried out via Javascript. For almost 10 years now, I have only used script blockers such as umatrix, Windows Defender (which was still called that back then) and, of course, my brain. I have never had any problems with hacked accounts or abnormalities in online banking, nor have I observed any strange behaviour on the PC.

The problem with all the third-party virus scanners is the engine of the virus scanner itself. The definitions may be up to date, but the engine is usually hopelessly outdated. And this is exactly where the programmers of the malware come in. A fully patched Windows is not designed for additional software to do mischief with it. Just think of it this way: by installing the virus scanner, you close an open window in your OS, but blow a huge hole in another wall.

And that's exactly the advantage of the virus scanner from MS, it was developed directly to fit cleanly into the OS, as opposed to the hodgepodge that additional software can cause.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Problem with AV is that it needs V to work & it's always playing catch-up...

Last edited:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Now I'm thinking about Luna seeing a therapist:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
To be honest, with how impatient Luna can be I'd imagine she would start to get irritated with the therapist after the frst question and stab the therapist with his own pen on his kneecap :LOL: (deja vu to the ice cream and gun event at MC's promotion lol)
That therapist need more practice! You need to understand better your patients.

T: Ok Luna. Thing is like this. You come here every week to talk and these two (pointing to MC and Wilfred) will take you for ice cream and weapon practice afterwards. But only if I give permission. If you just come here and don't say anything, I'll tell Wilfred to take you straight home. Now, if you open up and we discuss about your problems, provided you change to non lethal rounds, Wilfred said Ayhsel even offered himself as target practice!
MC: I did what?!?
W: We thank you so much for this kind gesture, young sir.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 497 Votes