Ren'Py Abandoned The Family Business: Parallel Universe | MiniGame - TechDemo [v1.11 FINAL] [Nemesia Productions]

4.80 star(s) 4 Votes

Uzhirian

Jul 18, 2017
I checked the sides of the screen, as was mentioned in the tutorial. I did not check the corners, as was NOT mentioned. Intuitive navigation is integral to making a playable game. I provided feedback to the developer, to hopefully help him improve his game. You provided insults. Congratulations.
The back button was actually covered in the tutorial. Its design is very unintuitive, granted, as is the navigation in most open-world parts of VNs, but it was explained such as it is. Definitely needs to be reworked in any future versions of this game.

1613836932894.png

Reactions: zephrates

Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
The back button was actually covered in the tutorial (...) but it was explained such as it is.
That may be good enough for new players who never played a sandbox style game before, but I have to admit that I skipped this bit, because I've played dozens of sandbox games before and was quite sure, that this was not wildly different from the others.

Its design is very unintuitive, granted, as is the navigation in most open-world parts of VNs
Yes to the "unintuitive" part, no to the "as is the navigation in most open-world parts of VNs".
I like sandbox games, that's why I've played a lot of them, but I have never seen a navigation where "BACK" doesn't mean "return to the last screen". Also - apart from minor beginner's mistakes like not labeling stuff on hovering - most sandbox navigations are pretty intuitive and logical, in my experience.

Definitely needs to be reworked in any future versions of this game.
Absolutely agree with you there. :)

JimMorrison19

Dec 14, 2017
If this was just an exercise to see what you could do, please continue. It was the most elaborate "Demo" I have yet seen. Of course it could use a bit of tweaking, but it has a ton of promise. I have a 4 stage rating on games I download and try. Stage 1, I play once and delete from my computer. Stage 2, I place the game shortcut icon in the Fair Games folder on my desktop. Stage 3, I place the game shortcut icon in the Better Games folder. Stage 4 games are put in my best games folder. This is the first "Demo" that made it to my Better Games folder.

Reactions: xXwankerXx

Uzhirian

Jul 18, 2017
That may be good enough for new players who never played a sandbox style game before, but I have to admit that I skipped this bit, because I've played dozens of sandbox games before and was quite sure, that this was not wildly different from the others.
No argument here. I essentially skimmed the tutorial too assuming it would work like any other sandbox and then had to figure it out myself, but I remembered seeing something pointing to the back button so went back to get the screenshot because I thought it wasn't fair to say the dev didn't explain it when he did, even if I did just click through it myself haha

Yes to the "unintuitive" part, no to the "as is the navigation in most open-world parts of VNs".
I like sandbox games, that's why I've played a lot of them, but I have never seen a navigation where "BACK" doesn't mean "return to the last screen". Also - apart from minor beginner's mistakes like not labeling stuff on hovering - most sandbox navigations are pretty intuitive and logical, in my experience.
Unintuitive was probably the wrong term to apply to other VNs, true. I suppose I meant 'cumbersome'. As you might have guessed I'm just not a fan of sandbox in most cases. I think sandbox rarely adds to a VN and its a pain to have to click 'hall > stairs > Living room > blah' just to find an interaction point or npc to click on. There's only a couple I've played where it was done well enough to enhance the gameplay. Just personal preference though.

Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
There's only a couple I've played where it was done well enough to enhance the gameplay. Just personal preference though.
True, I should have said I am a fan of "good sandbox" games. :p

Oh, and while we're on the topic of personal preference, Nemesia, I've just reached the point where MC and mom are talking in the garage (fairly early on) and she starts a playlist: When I hear actual songs with actual singing in adult games I hit my keyboard's mute button immediately. 99% of the time songs kill my mood. Good atmospheric background music is where it's at (for me). Not a complaint, just some feedback.

AmerHST

Jun 19, 2020
We will not add the tag.

I mean tags are for describe substantial contents in the game. A short dream is not.
The level of obsession about NTR in this forum has reached levels that are simply unbelievable and frankly concerning.

A picture of the 10 years ago with one of the characters holding tha hand of a dude ... NTR :eek:

Thanks
Has every lady you've been with a virgin? if so then this is won't matter to you but if not all of them were virgins and "held hands" with their exes, would you like to see that? them "holding hands" in the past because I sure don't.

cicily248

Apr 29, 2018
I've made it - after seeing Keira at pool don't go to sleep, go to living room (watch tv), then check bathroom and your phone.
I checked the phone and I got the message to go to the bathroom through the window. But I am unable to reach it, how do you go to it? Can you please show using an image? Thanks.

Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
I checked the phone and I got the message to go to the bathroom through the window. But I am unable to reach it, how do you go to it? Can you please show using an image? Thanks.
Answer to the text that you're on your way.

Reactions: cicily248

Tease Me

May 6, 2017
This has everything of a lousy sandbox. Bad navigation. Bad renders. Bad story well what I saw of it. The renders are badily lit and grainy. Sorry but there it is.
I understand some of your critiques But grain renders is way off base. I find way too many games using bad lighting to hide bad renders however this one does not. I do think the renders should be better lit since they are very nice. Here is an example I removed some of the Black from the Neutral colors and adjusted brightness+ and contrast- a bit. You can see the render is not a bit grainy. 1k_nds1.png 1k_ndsa1.jpg
This room has light-colored walls and daylight from two windows so the subject should have a bit of shading but not as much as the original render. The girls are very pretty and should be highlighted a bit better. Too many Devs use Daz lighting well but forget about the subjects. I have seen a number of games where the actual sex scenes are so dark you can not see any of the action at all. They may as well be text-only games.

WhatthisISB

Jul 31, 2020
Really like the models, story seems good too. However the biggest problem is the navigation.... it's a pain in the neck. If i have to press 10 plus sidebars, pictures and stuff just to get back to Raven's room, it gets boring real fast. Why not just add all the rooms at the bottom of the screen like so many games? When MC is at the house, all the rooms are shown at the bottom with small thumbnails, along with which characters are in said rooms. Problem solved.

Reactions: NemesiaProductions

LionHeart131

May 23, 2018
Game has a few bugs where I tried to enter the garage after speaking with the aunt by the pool and it brings me to the main menu // also when i reply to texts it bugs out as well and doesn't do anything or boots me back to main menu or gives me the rollback option for the Mac version

Reactions: Sirren

nigelation

Apr 28, 2017
Am yet to try it but atleast they are playing divinity original sin 2 together so they got good taste in games

rem3403

Oct 19, 2017
I just don't understand why people are telling the dev to change their game just because of one tiny scene they didn't like.
Have you not been paying attention to the world lately? All the weak ass people crying to cancel and change everything they don't like.

4.80 star(s) 4 Votes