3.80 star(s) 47 Votes

dawnir

Sep 12, 2017
I wonder how many people come into this thread anymore with any hope of an actual release update, I think since the start of Jan most people go into this thread just to see the dumpster fire rather than still having much hope of the next version out.

Personally I agree with keer that patreon does not lend itself to the best way for game development, sure if you have a reliable and good dev then it 100% is viable. However for a lot of devs, the potential for abuse is too big, as seen on this project and many others. You have to be very discerning with whom you support.

I am a pirate (arrggghh) but once completed, I buy the game or do a one off payment to the dev (assuming said game is good). Everyone has their own moral compass and best way of doing things, I prefer to pay based on the end result rather than the creative journey. I think no more or less for those that use patreon or never give the dev any money... ultimately those people were never going to be customers so it is no lost revenue and pirates telling others about the game is advertising which is beneficial at the end of the day.

Only our own actions can effect change in the world around us, so instead of losing your shit at others. Just do what you think is morally right rather than attacking others, it is very rare the hostility or name calling achieves anything productive after all. So chill out and be civil or NTR will be put in every game you play to punish you.
yeah the current model many have of 5$ per month for 4 years of development of mediocre content delays my contributions till the game is established or complete. Non of this smut is worth twice the price of a normal pc game

Reactions: bobmonk

Denis25

Dec 4, 2017
Non of this smut is worth twice the price of a normal pc game
Questionable.

1st - "normal pc game" is very differentiated. There are games cost 50-100$. There are ones that cost 10-15.

Also, there are couple of projects (like, but not limited to DIK, NoMoreSecrets, BrokenDreamers) that I would value quite high.

Not that I usually pay full price for pc games either (usually wait till Steam will get them on 35-50% discount). And I'm fine waiting year or 2.

hypnouser

May 14, 2017
Please do explain how stating facts is acting like a choosing beggar. You should really get off from your high horse, Mr. Paying Patron. As I already stated I myself was paying until October when I clearly recognised the pattern of no progress reports as a really big red flag indicating a fundamental problem in the dev "team" (which I'm not sure exists or has ever existed).
Free speech is a thing so get over it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and if you or anybody else can provide facts to counter it, please do. Otherwise let keer enjoy making fun of a dead game.
Making demands over something that you stated that you would never pay for (he stated in THE GIFT´S discord that "Game and torrent piracy was his style") it´s being a choosing beggar.

You yourself said it. You chose to support and dediced to quit. That is something different and nothing to be blamed about. Quite different from someone that basically confessed that he will never pay for it and probably never been a supporter, to begin with.

I am not saying that he should not have the freedom to say so, though.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Haast and keer

keer

Jun 20, 2017
Making demands over something that you stated that you would never pay for (he stated in THE GIFT´S discord that "Game and torrent piracy was his style") it´s being a choosing beggar.

You yourself said it. You chose to support and dediced to quit. That is something different and nothing to be blamed about. Quite different from someone that basically confessed that he will never pay for it and probably never been a supporter, to begin with.

I am not saying that he should not have the freedom to say so, though.
Can you wait and be silent for free ?? Let others demand!

• Haha
Reactions: hypnouser

keer

Jun 20, 2017
In short, we will wait in silence)) And since then it has not changed ..

bobmonk

Oct 11, 2019
Also, there are couple of projects (like, but not limited to DIK, NoMoreSecrets, BrokenDreamers) that I would value quite high.

Not that I usually pay full price for pc games either (usually wait till Steam will get them on 35-50% discount). And I'm fine waiting year or 2.
A patreon who supports a single project for 2 years (24 months) at $5 a month, that is a total spend of $120 for a game. I won't spend $50 on a new AAA game so spending that much is insane to me, especially when as good a story as the patreon game could be, it is not something with revolutionary game mechanics etc usually. I have funded studios with projects on kickstarter because that essentially equates to buying the game in advance to help fund its development... but that is as far as I would go.

I think it works better for users who produce completed content monthly (like Internet Comment Etiquette on YouTube) rather than an ongoing development of a project. Whilst the completed games may be worth something, it inflates the cost to the supporter beyond the retail value of the product, plus obviously for less honest devs they literally earn more the longer they take which is arse backwards.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
A patreon who supports a single project for 2 years (24 months) at $5 a month, that is a total spend of $120 for a game. I won't spend $50 on a new AAA game so spending that much is insane to me, especially when as good a story as the patreon game could be, it is not something with revolutionary game mechanics etc usually. I have funded studios with projects on kickstarter because that essentially equates to buying the game in advance to help fund its development... but that is as far as I would go.

I think it works better for users who produce completed content monthly (like Internet Comment Etiquette on YouTube) rather than an ongoing development of a project. Whilst the completed games may be worth something, it inflates the cost to the supporter beyond the retail value of the product, plus obviously for less honest devs they literally earn more the longer they take which is arse backwards.
Some games on Patreon exceed games you can buy in a market by worlds in regards to content.
Leave alone they are more willing to break with the norm and take a risk in storytelling or content... gotta admit that doesn't account to VNs like this... but alltogether you probably have a better payout like this than takeing another game with the same story told in better graphics

Reactions: hypnouser

bobmonk

Oct 11, 2019
Some games on Patreon exceed games you can buy in a market by worlds in regards to content.
Leave alone they are more willing to break with the norm and take a risk in storytelling or content... gotta admit that doesn't account to VNs like this... but alltogether you probably have a better payout like this than takeing another game with the same story told in better graphics
Which games would you highlight as the shining examples on this front?
Not being argumentative at all genuinely curious as I am far from all knowing on this front.

I still think Kickstarter is a better format than Patreon for game development personally as it requires a fuller fleshed out plan and timeline... plus obviously one set payment rather than ad infinitum. Plus I am a patient man, if it would cost me $120+ to support a project to end up with a completed game or just wait and purchase it for $20 once completed... I know what I will do. Plus it would avoid supporting someone to end up having chucked the money down the drain when it is abandoned.

Again though just my own personal view, same as I wouldn't buy a new car from a dealership and instead just get one 2nd hand but relatively new for significantly less.

Reactions: cccxxx

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
I still think Kickstarter is a better format than Patreon for game development personally as it requires a fuller fleshed out plan and timeline... plus obviously one set payment rather than ad infinitum. Plus I am a patient man, if it would cost me $120+ to support a project to end up with a completed game or just wait and purchase it for $20 once completed... I know what I will do. Plus it would avoid supporting someone to end up having chucked the money down the drain when it is abandoned.

Again though just my own personal view, same as I wouldn't buy a new car from a dealership and instead just get one 2nd hand but relatively new for significantly less.
Problem with that is that amateurs without any experience in project planing will be discouraged of takeing chances here or outright fail.
I have seen many projects with bad planing at the very begining turning completly as the developer either got a "professional" to do this work or actually learned to do it him/herself.
Kickstarter also fails a campaign if you don't accumulate a certain amount of a set goal or the goal itself in a certain time frame.
Payment measures on Kickstarters are also more limited in comparison to Patreon, as their model does not support most online banking, like PayPal, etc.
Also on Patreon succesful games tend to get an "upgraded" story or other project lenghtining Updates, that raise the amount of content... on Kickstarters you would have to create an entire new game/project to raise additional funds

cccxxx

Aug 8, 2018
so the dev went 95% update in 7 (seven ) months of cashing in with a good project
than went belly up
am i the only one that feels cheated?

Reactions: vmaks

Freezed

Sep 29, 2019
so the dev went 95% update in 7 (seven )
months of cashing in with a good project
than went belly up
am i the only one that feels cheated?

you are certainly not the only one !! Unfortunately it won't work as
long as the Dev still has over 400 willing victims who are still paying.
and as long as he still has over 100-50 of them, nothing will change
so quickly::: because it does not hurt the dev enough to make him
feel compelled to sit down 3 hours a day to be able to time to render
max. 5pictures (because then He comes up with the argument that
his computer is too bad, his system is too slow and he has no money
at all to uprade his system)

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
I really don't get why people would keep subscribing with all these delays it's like that other guy gumdrop or whatever with dual family no updates in what two years and still has a ridiculous amount of patreons.

Reactions: Gandalf78

KaneB.C.

Donor
Jan 22, 2018
Oh crap, now its marked on hold. Hoping dev. picks up his lazy ass soon.
Behavior like this dev. discouraged me two times already from begin a patron.

Last edited:
Reactions: cccxxx and keer

cccxxx

Aug 8, 2018
i think most patreons are just rich enough they can afford not to pay attention where their money goes
same thing happened on kickstarter with torment numenera - there was a strangely large majority that didn't give a rats ass fargo swindled them and were bashing anybody who cried cheat !

Last edited:
Reactions: keer

hypnouser

May 14, 2017
you are certainly not the only one !! Unfortunately it won't work as
long as the Dev still has over 400 willing victims who are still paying.
and as long as he still has over 100-50 of them, nothing will change
so quickly::: because it does not hurt the dev enough to make him
feel compelled to sit down 3 hours a day to be able to time to render
max. 5pictures (because then He comes up with the argument that
his computer is too bad, his system is too slow and he has no money
at all to uprade his system)
Payments are onhold, so no one will be charged till they reactivate the system.

Although I do agree that they should have done this sooner.

Freezed

Sep 29, 2019
Payments are onhold, so no one will be charged till they reactivate the system.

oh ups then I didn't say anything
(sorry for that - I didn't know that)
& Thanks for the clarification (but
can you explain to me again how it
is with the flowers and bees (J.O.K.E.)
which one is up there, the yellow and
black stripes or the black and yellow
stripes one? and what if when they
drop their lingerie and especially what
the bumblebees do in thet time I mean
as loud as the bumblebees brrrrrr flying
around I would say it's hard to hide
unnoticed to can look at them right? ^^

It's all flok's
(for general mood improvement here ^^)

and to that...
Although I do agree that they should have done this sooner.
...everyone should say to that something like:

Amen (OR somthing equal in thier religion^^)

Bulb69

Donor
Jun 9, 2018
Problem with that is that amateurs without any experience in project planing will be discouraged of takeing chances here or outright fail.
I have seen many projects with bad planing at the very begining turning completly as the developer either got a "professional" to do this work or actually learned to do it him/herself.
Kickstarter also fails a campaign if you don't accumulate a certain amount of a set goal or the goal itself in a certain time frame.
Payment measures on Kickstarters are also more limited in comparison to Patreon, as their model does not support most online banking, like PayPal, etc.
Also on Patreon succesful games tend to get an "upgraded" story or other project lenghtining Updates, that raise the amount of content... on Kickstarters you would have to create an entire new game/project to raise additional funds
I remember a tread how i ask a developer if he have a work plan and if his story have a beginning a middle and a end before he start production.

I receive a response like i understand nothing in creativity and he refuse to chain it with this shit. Like if a work plan as an obstacle to creativity.

This is a long term project. Is you begin it without preparation. Is a fail with certitude.

If you tell me a story how i understand nothing. You have a problem because i know my classic.

Reactions: bobmonk

riktor

Nov 26, 2018
I remember a tread how i ask a developer if he have a work plan and if his story have a beginning a middle and a end before he start production.
seems to me that too many devs begin releasing with nothing more than an idea and a few written scenes / characters. In my view if you intend to make money as a dev, then almost the entire story should be planned out (at least) before the first release. Otherwise the inevitable writers block and or feature creep will cause near endless delays, or worse yet sub-par, half-baked updates.

keer

Jun 20, 2017
seems to me that too many devs begin releasing with nothing more than an idea and a few written scenes / characters. In my view if you intend to make money as a dev, then almost the entire story should be planned out (at least) before the first release. Otherwise the inevitable writers block and or feature creep will cause near endless delays, or worse yet sub-par, half-baked updates.
We also need an accurate plan for developing the project, an excellent technique and a good team .. The justification is much easier to come up with! Conscience is also needed ..

Reactions: RedZone30
3.80 star(s) 47 Votes